Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

2023 Mint 400

random1781

I just realized the Mint 400 is happening in a couple weeks, and I think I'm going to sign up for the Adventure Sportsman class with the Tenere.

Mint-400-2020-logo.png

The Mint 400 is the oldest and most prestigious off-road race in America. Held annually in March, over 550 race teams in 80+ classes compete for two days.

We happen to be in the area now, and actually rode some of the same tracks from the last year's course without realizing it...

2022_mint_400_course_map.jpg.592bebe44827bb503cf9d12adf72c322.jpg

It's mostly sand with some hard pack. Running the numbers now to figure out how much it'll wind up costing. The entry fee is pretty reasonable, but I'd need to get some new gear for it to fulfill the requirements, and while it's soon. Going to run this route tomorrow to get a feel for it.

This will be the first race I've entered in. Seems to be the most approachable, but I'd appreciate any input for people who've done this or similar before. Deadline to register is this week (without paying a lot in late fees), so I need to make a decision soon.

• Like 4

advgoats.com

Just Do It! (and report how it was!)

Have you done any type of MC racing previously?  I've only done a handful of offroad harescrambles, Enduros, & GNCC events here in the east which is a very different environment and never raced with the intent to win so that has provided me with the luxury of simply going to have a good time and pick off some of the low hanging fruit.  

If ya go, just remember no ones writing you a check to be there, have fun!

• Like 3

Spur of the moment decision to ride a 400 mile race?

Yikes.... I can't go 400 miles on the road without my butt complaining!

Best of luck to you. Be sure to report back!!!

EDIT:

image.png.57a4d31b50c8540f73ca9d0bcffaeda3.png

So, is it 7 laps or just one 60 mile event?

Edited by Hibobb

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

16 minutes ago, Hibobb said:

EDIT:

Nooo, the Adventure class is two laps, so around 120 miles. 

48 minutes ago, Windblown said:

Just Do It! (and report how it was!)

Have you done any type of MC racing previously?  I've only done a handful of offroad harescrambles, Enduros, & GNCC events here in the east which is a very different environment and never raced with the intent to win so that has provided me with the luxury of simply going to have a good time and pick off some of the low hanging fruit.  

If ya go, just remember no ones writing you a check to be there, have fun!

Nope, this will be my first timed event. We did a dual sport ride around here back in November, but that's really my only experience with anything like this.

Not too worried about the terrain really. It might be a bit torn up by start, but I think it's be manageable, especially since I'll be dropping everything from the bike. That'll be a nice change of pace.

Oddly the biggest challenge is trying to find lodging until then. We live on the bikes, and this is a funky area for trying to find a place to stay for an extended period.

advgoats.com

44 minutes ago, Hibobb said:

EDIT:

MC open classes is 6 laps. The MC Adventure class looks to be 2 laps. 

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Windblown said:

MC open classes is 6 laps. The MC Adventure class looks to be 2 laps. 

Riding it on a 450 lb bike will make  2=6!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

4 minutes ago, AZJW said:

Riding it on a 450 lb bike will make  2=6!

True, but perspective is on my side. These are a few I rode fully loaded...

Screenshot_20230219-145825.png.1c9e34e1bb960a4921de572633ea12d9.png

I'd be dropping 150 lbs for the race, so it'll feel like a different bike. For better or worse...

• Like 1

advgoats.com

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, random1781 said:

True, but perspective is on my side. These are a few I rode fully loaded...

Screenshot_20230219-145825.png.1c9e34e1bb960a4921de572633ea12d9.png

I'd be dropping 150 lbs for the race, so it'll feel like a different bike. For better or worse...

Best of luck to ya and as mentioned,  please post some details and have fun.  I'm guessing the pup has elected to cheer you on from the sidelines. 😉

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

7 minutes ago, AZJW said:

Best of luck to ya and as mentioned,  please post some details and have fun.  I'm guessing the pup has elected to cheer you on from the sidelines. 😉

Actually the most challenging thing will be leaving him behind! Poor guy loses it whenever either of us wander off and he can't keep the pack together.

• Haha 1

advgoats.com

Well we camped out at the Jean Lake Bed last night. I overlaid the crwppy pdf from last year's race and tried to ride it. Turns out there are a ton of parallel trails and washes, so I probably didn't do true trail, but I opted for the more interesting tracks when I could.

I rode two thirds of the route, which I think would be the challenging part. The last third is the western portion going down to Primm, which is a straight powerline road that's pretty mellow.

Screenshot_20230220-161138.png.5203cab0c50a840c1c5746e5077c0805.png

I did 47.1 miles and it took 3 hours and 25 minutes. 2-4 miles were backtracking.

This is an entirely different bike without stuff. So squirrelly in comparison, which takes some getting used to, but it was extremely fun.

PXL_20230220_201801840.jpg.4b9e9ba660f597b43f00faa4ae873298.jpg

PXL_20230220_183216256.jpg.77401e35bf48d87f4905bfeb2487ade4.jpg

• Like 2

advgoats.com

Excellent reconnaissance work, I have high hopes for you in your upcoming mission!

• Like 1

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

Well sadly it's not going to work out. Total cost would wind up being ~$1500-$2000 to enter in, which is out of my budget.

• Sad 1

advgoats.com

I understand completely. There of plenty of rides out here that are cheap or free.

Check your AMA District (36/37) for listings

• Like 1

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~