Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

T7 Chainguides

Revy

11 hours ago, Ray Ride4life said:

And that's why we have problems like rust and crackking frames?

We live in different times, now it's all about profit and cutting costs.

I see it everywhere, once good brands throwing away the good name.

14 hours ago, Ray Ride4life said:

Accessoiries are often made by third party's.

Everything nit standard on a bike may or may not be tested.

The Acerbis is used by many and therefore proven to be at least a decent product.

I'm not saying the OEM is bad but unless you work at Yamaha and know for a fact that accessoiries are tested the same as the bike itself it is still an assumption.

So you're assuming they don't test their accessories?  We'll get nowhere debating that to be honest.  I still go with other brands too (for example I have a AXP bashplate) but there's good reason to go with Yamaha.  See below the post about the Acerbis one which failed and they wouldn't entertain a warranty claim.  That's only one example but it's rare if you stick with factory that they knock back warranty claims.  Even rusty spokes have been replaced for them that have suffered it. 

YouTube - RIDER GUIDER - check out my T7 playlist and say hello 😀 

15 hours ago, Rider 101 said:

I would say the OEM is a "cheap" chain guide.

I put the Acerbis ( and may have been the first to do it ) as the OEM wasn't available in Oz at the time.

The Acerbis is wearing well and I doubt will need replacing for several years.

What's your experience with the OEM one?  Mine has been fit & forget to be honest.  Gets washed with the bike and no wear as yet.  Can't see where it's a cheap alternative.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, RIDER GUIDER said:

So you're assuming they don't test their accessories?

I said i'm not so certain they test the accessories just as wel because they're often third party products just like most wearable parts.
But you might call that an assumption that it's not tested. Funny thing is that if you assume it's tested thoroughly but it's not and it fails you can get f***ked whereas assuming it's not you might miss out on a good product.
Bolts that come undone is not a catastrophic failure, i already counted on that due to the location and only a problem when you use endless chains but i admit they should come loose or they could have sold a solid unit (but then you have to split the chain or wait until the next change).

It is by no means the intention to undermine your choice, i just mean that you only can be sure about things when you know it as a fact.
Like i know as a fact that Michelin made tyres for the Honda NC that lasted just 5k km but the same tyre i bought and ran on my remapped Crosstourer lasted around 12k km. They made it to the minimum spec Honda asked for to get the price low enough to win the bid.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, RIDER GUIDER said:

What's your experience with the OEM one?  Mine has been fit & forget to be honest.  Gets washed with the bike and no wear as yet.  Can't see where it's a cheap alternative.

I have the OEM in a box. When compared side by side with the Acerbis it appears more flexible and less robust.

• Like 2

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

1 hour ago, Ray Ride4life said:

I said i'm not so certain they test the accessories just as wel because they're often third party products just like most wearable parts.
But you might call that an assumption that it's not tested. Funny thing is that if you assume it's tested thoroughly but it's not and it fails you can get f***ked whereas assuming it's not you might miss out on a good product.
Bolts that come undone is not a catastrophic failure, i already counted on that due to the location and only a problem when you use endless chains but i admit they should come loose or they could have sold a solid unit (but then you have to split the chain or wait until the next change).

It is by no means the intention to undermine your choice, i just mean that you only can be sure about things when you know it as a fact.
Like i know as a fact that Michelin made tyres for the Honda NC that lasted just 5k km but the same tyre i bought and ran on my remapped Crosstourer lasted around 12k km. They made it to the minimum spec Honda asked for to get the price low enough to win the bid.

You say that bolts that come undone isn't a catastrophic failure, this is where we have to agree to disagree.  I work in an organisation that deals with fatal traffic collisions, what happens when there is such an incident, is every involved vehicle turns in to an exhibit, the vehicles are transported to a facility where they're forensically examined to ensure that there wasn't a mechanical failure/reason for the incident or one that contributes to it.  Imagine bolts coming loose on a chain guide, chain guide gets jammed in to the rear sprocket, leading to the back wheel locking up and the rider skidding head on in to on coming traffic.  THAT is a catastrophic failure.  This is a world of litigation, and every single part of an accessory that a major manufacturer either makes or puts their name to will have certification proving the quality and that it's fit for purpose.  Yamaha won't put anything on their bikes that doesn't come with a guarantee of safety.  Even down to the melting point of the nylon in the threads of the nuts.  They have spec sheets that they can produce that guarantee a certain level of safety.  These spec sheets would be available and produced to defend themselves in legal cases.  This is fact.  Not assumption.   The mother of all $%&^ ups?  That would be risking buying a cheap version off Amazon. 

Edited by RIDER GUIDER

16 hours ago, Redneckj said:

I can promise anyone this:  If Yamaha puts its name on an aftermarket part, it is good quality part.  

Absolutely agree

Considering how they are priced, it is worth getting one installed and forgetting about it. Super useful if your T7 is not just a road going motorcycle, will save you the trouble off the chain coming off the sprocket when you least expect it and possibly causing more damage than its worth!

I have the OEM one installed and its one of those forgotten items on the bike until I need to clean out any mud that is lodged in there after riding boggy terrain!!!

• Like 2

Meet BigBlu - 2022 Tenere 700 | Yamaha OEM chain guide | Yamaha OEM crash guard | Givi Rear luggage rack | Givi BN42 top box | Black Widow 300mm Hexagonal exhaust | Acerbis High Fender | Windscreen risers | ProTaper Evo low handlebar | Oxford Integrated heated grips | Upshift Retro Speedblock Blue graphic kit | QuadLock wireless charger | BarkBuster Storm Handguards | Mitas E07+ rear tyre | Shinko E804 front tyre | MotoMount Radar screamer & LED visual alert | Custom half tail tidy kit |

10 hours ago, Toymaster said:

I stand beside the bike, foot on kicker, and then lift the bike onto the center stand.

Perhaps you are not that heavy? I'm 100kg and I can just stand on the lever and pull the bike straight back up on the center stand, even on smooth concrete.

2 hours ago, motonap said:

Considering how they are priced, it is worth getting one installed and forgetting about it. Super useful if your T7 is not just a road going motorcycle, will save you the trouble off the chain coming off the sprocket when you least expect it and possibly causing more damage than its worth!

I have the OEM one installed and its one of those forgotten items on the bike until I need to clean out any mud that is lodged in there after riding boggy terrain!!!

Same here, it's a no brainer.  Who knows the cost of damage caused by a chain coming off, especially if it brought you off the bike too.  A bit like a headlight protector, fit & forget ... and so much cheaper than a new headlight assembly. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RIDER GUIDER said:

You say that bolts that come undone isn't a catastrophic failure

Sorry, typo. i mean bolts not come undone in this Acerbis chain guide mentioned earlier.

I bought yamaha oem crash gaurds, oem rear rack (I like the grab handle). I also bundled in an oem chain guide 🙄. My Acerbis chainguide on my ktm 300 has survived an eternity so if anything happens to this one I'll go back to Acerbis n never go back.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been running the Primary Drive chain guide from Rocky Mountain ATV for over 5,000 miles with no issues.  It's a solid piece, easy to install and I haven't noticed any increased noise at all.  Would definitely buy again.

Screenshot_20230330_081336_Gallery.jpg

Edited by Seventh Son