Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Barkbuster handguard install advice

Toymaster

Ok, I was an idiot and wasted money so I'm posting this to hopefully save someone time/money.  I bought a T7 specific kit (which does not allow for much adjustment of lever location), didn't use the parts that are "bike specific" and bought other parts that I only knew I needed because of this forum.   In short, my advice is buy a universal set and reuse the factory bar end hardware. 

On the barkbuster website I'd get the BHG-152  

The closest thing I could find stateside is this link  Barkbusters Aluminum Handguard Kit Husqvarna Norden 901 2022-2023-2023 | 4% ($5.00) Off! - RevZilla  and a ebay listing...

s-l500.jpg

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Barkbusters VPS backbones and mounting hardware for tapered handlebars at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

Shop for Handlebars & Controls, like Barkbusters Universal Two Point Mounted Handguards at Rocky Mountain ATV/MC. We have the best prices on dirt bike, atv and motorcycle parts, apparel and accessories and...

Then whichever plastic guards you like.  Will be cheaper than the route I did. 

To explain why....

Of the universal kit, below circled in red are the parts that are not included in the "bike specific" kit that you do need.  I paid an outrageous price from them like $30 each.  Discard the items circled in blue. 

image.jpeg.983fd894799b91e916126390d2714d68.jpeg

On the bar end, the factory weight is heavier than the one you get in the T7 "bike specific" kit and I personally like the looks of the OEM one better anyway. 

The below is the beveled bolt that came with the kit, it was too long as the OEM bar weight is not drilled all the way through.  I opted to cut the bolt, ~1/2" and use it.

image.jpeg.0cb9dc3faab828cc8e524435935294bb.jpeg

The inside of the OEM bar weight is a 12mm hex.  What I did was use the metal spacer from the OEM plastic handguard, rotated 180 degrees, worked to support and center the screw.  It is soft enough to conform to the 12mm hex.  Tried the OEM screw first, which will work, but then decided to use the provided screw of the kit. 

image.jpeg.69bff18545f699340d95becb89880a04.jpeg

You can also use the factory screw, it is button head instead of beveled however, there is plenty of mounting surface and would work very well.  Below is a pic of the mating when I tired the OEM button head.

image.jpeg.d1d91940220504530de02ce78e66dd86.jpegimage.jpeg.5d37cba44d150a9bb4f37cdd5ae0f7ab.jpeg

Here is a link to the offset by themselves, no idea why they are that expensive.  Last year they were 1/2 that price.   Basically paid $50 more than I had to. 

image.jpeg.6529c558aebd6526a45469a6fd21ba19.jpeg

There are alternatives to the barkbuster offset, however you lose one pivot point.  The BB offset has screws on both ends vs. the below cheaper pieces have no adjustment.   RMATV sells some and these on ebay. 

s-l500.jpg

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for 1-1/8" Tapered Evolution 2 Clamps Black Enduro Engineering 50-236B at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

If I had to do it again, I'd buy this kit and be done with it.  $175 and even has the bar skids included.   I paid more, don't have the skids, and have parts I'll never use (face palm) 🤦‍♂️

Shop for Handlebars & Controls, like Barkbusters Universal VPS Two Point Mounted Handguard Kit at Rocky Mountain ATV/MC. We have the best prices on dirt bike, atv and motorcycle parts, apparel and accessories and...

Edited by Toymaster
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, Alan M said:

Strange, I bought a T7 specific kit and it fitted fine.

So did I and it fit fine. 

BTW it will be for sale shortly as I changed bars (Fasst Flexx) and bought their handguards.

^^^^^^^ Many report interfere with cables.  To get the levers and guards where some/most want/need it takes an offset. 

Strange, I bought the BHG-078 which was specific to the bike and it fit perfectly fine. The kit included the L shape clamp connectors required and I did not have to buy anything extra on this kit.

Meet BigBlu - 2022 Tenere 700 | Yamaha OEM chain guide | Yamaha OEM crash guard | Givi Rear luggage rack | Givi BN42 top box | Black Widow 300mm Hexagonal exhaust | Acerbis High Fender | Windscreen risers | ProTaper Evo low handlebar | Oxford Integrated heated grips | Upshift Retro Speedblock Blue graphic kit | QuadLock wireless charger | BarkBuster Storm Handguards | Mitas E07+ rear tyre | Shinko E804 front tyre | MotoMount Radar screamer & LED visual alert | Custom half tail tidy kit |

Mine were dealer fitted; no issues.

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

5 hours ago, motonap said:

Strange, I bought the BHG-078 which was specific to the bike and it fit perfectly fine. The kit included the L shape clamp connectors required and I did not have to buy anything extra on this kit.

I thought this too

the standard parts were straight and T700 specific were  curved down to avoid the clutch cable 

Like Toymaster I found that the BB BHG-078 Tenere 700 specific kit I bought in May 2021 should have included the curved B-054 off-set clamp connectors (which I had to buy separately & recently installed) to provide proper clearance & increased range of motion/adjustment, particularly for the clutch cable, instead of the supplied straight version....just to clarify, that kit does fit, but the straight connector restricts the upward adjustment range of the guards/downward adjustment of the levers. I believe that the issue with the original generic kit was that the bar clamps (off-set connector location to the bottom) could hit the tank at full lock...it looks like BB used a different bar clamp design (50/50 split for narrower profile) for the T7  specific kit, at least as of when I bought...perhaps BB may have modified both kits over time based on various comments I've read.  See my blog review for full details & pics via this link: 

Edited by prowlnS10
  • Like 1

^^^^  It fits because you do not have the levers rotated downward.  Many riders prefer the levers tilted downward for better geometry of the fingers.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Toymaster said:

^^^^  It fits because you do not have the levers rotated downward.  Many riders prefer the levers tilted downward for better geometry of the fingers.

Yeah, if you’re riding MX 😂

1 minute ago, Alan M said:

Yeah, if you’re riding MX 😂

No, always.

One of the first things with a new bike i do is adjusting the levers forward, also on streetbikes

• Like 4
  • Dislike 1

10 minutes ago, Ray Ride4life said:

No, always.

One of the first things with a new bike i do is adjusting the levers forward, also on streetbikes

Agree with @Ray Ride4life and @Toymaster  : The levers need to be rotated forward (the bars as well, but the levers even more).

This also caused some space issues on my Acerbis guards with aftermarket levers (had to remove the bar end weights).

At least the T7 specific kit for the X-Factors did fit, but fiddling is always required I guess.

If I ever need to replace them, I'd probably move over to HDB guards - their mounting solution (using a new bar top clamp) is superior and shouldn't create any restrictions with levers at all.

• Like 2

Maybe you’re buying the wrong hand guards for your needs then, not BB’s fault.

There are other hand guards on the market that mount differently, for example to a new top mount.

The position of the controls is purely rider preference and there is not a right or wrong position.

5 hours ago, Alan M said:

Maybe you’re buying the wrong hand guards for your needs then, not BB’s fault.....

That was the whole point of the thread, to show people what they may need, as to not waste money.

There are half dozen threads on this forum alone about the offset being needed by most.   And if you look on the BB website the offsets are in the T7 specific kit offered in Australia, while the ones here listed for that use do not.   Tiny bit of confusion especially for the uninitiated.  Just trying to help. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Toymaster said:

That was the whole point of the thread, to show people what they may need, as to not waste money.

There are half dozen threads on this forum alone about the offset being needed by most.   And if you look on the BB website the offsets are in the T7 specific kit offered in Australia, while the ones here listed for that use do not.   Tiny bit of confusion especially for the uninitiated.  Just trying to help. 

Yeah, I get you’re providing some info that may help others who want to run the controls way down but you opened the thread with ‘…..  I bought a T7 specific kit (which does not fit by the way)……..’.

Not entirely accurate.  

I have my levers rotated downwards but not far from horizontal. Found this position suits my riding and is pretty much the norm for enduro/hard enduro riders.

Edited first post for clarification.   Don't want anyone butt-hurt for my lack of communication skills. 

Edited by Toymaster
  • Dislike 1

I have the USA T700 version with the straight connectors. It works, but there is pressure on the clutch cable with the levers in my preferred position, so I bought the offset connector for that side. No issues for me on the brake side. 

I would probably buy the HDB guards if I had it to do over, but happy with the BB. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Hollybrook said:

I would probably buy the HDB guards if I had it to do over, but happy with the BB. 

If you are into that much beef look at these...

hepco-becker-handlebar-guards-yamaha-ten

The Handlebar Protection set is one of if not the strongest handlebar protection on the market. The set consists of a left and right piece that go in place of the bar end weights and connect on top of the handlebar risers...

I just put a set on another bike I have.  Other than the difference in looks, the H&B adds bar end weight instead of the removing it. 

• Like 1

It would seem the "offset" topic stole the show in this thread.  I would like to point out that the other topic mentioned is the use of the OEM bar weights and bar inserts.  None of the BB hardware is required on that end of the guard and the OEM stuff is actually heavier. 

Part of the "bike specific" kit is the replacement weights, insert, and longer screw.   These are the parts I spent money on and are not using; they will probably stay in my toolbox till I die.   I'm an old maintenance man, therefore a packrat.  You never know what little widget the next project may require. 

On 3/31/2023 at 10:52 AM, Hollybrook said:

I have the USA T700 version with the straight connectors. It works, but there is pressure on the clutch cable with the levers in my preferred position, so I bought the offset connector for that side. No issues for me on the brake side. 

Where did you get the offset connector?  I can't quite get my levers where I want them so I think that would solve my problem.  Thanks! 

I don't remember for sure, but it was most likely Revzilla or Rocky Mountain ATV.

Update: Installed using 28mm kit

So while I said the specified kit fit perfectly well on the stock handle bar, I now have an issue get the Barkbusters to fit on the ProTaper Evo Adventure Low bar that I installed on Friday. There are a couple of issues here

• The section of the handlebar where the clamp connectors install are 25.6mm in diameter 
  • The supplied barkbuster kit is for a 22mm bar
  • The offset connector does not work to allow any form of lining up to make this work

Anyone had luck installing the specific Tenere 700 Barkbusters on the ProTaper Evo handle? Or did you have to buy spare parts from BarkBusters to make it work?

Edited by motonap
Update

Meet BigBlu - 2022 Tenere 700 | Yamaha OEM chain guide | Yamaha OEM crash guard | Givi Rear luggage rack | Givi BN42 top box | Black Widow 300mm Hexagonal exhaust | Acerbis High Fender | Windscreen risers | ProTaper Evo low handlebar | Oxford Integrated heated grips | Upshift Retro Speedblock Blue graphic kit | QuadLock wireless charger | BarkBuster Storm Handguards | Mitas E07+ rear tyre | Shinko E804 front tyre | MotoMount Radar screamer & LED visual alert | Custom half tail tidy kit |

• 1 month later...

Thank you very much for the info on this page. I Just ordered the complete kit from RMATV like you suggested. It is a complete kit I believe with everything that's needed.  mmm... maybe a bit pricey but I just need all the parts without screwing around.

Shop for Handlebars & Controls, like Barkbusters Universal VPS Two Point Mounted Handguard Kit at Rocky Mountain ATV/MC. We have the best prices on dirt bike, atv and motorcycle parts, apparel and accessories and...

I had to add additional spacer and notch out clamp to get Bark Busters to fit.

IMG_2074.JPG