Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum
CReamflourish

Tenere 700 Indicator / Flasher Relay Location

CReamflourish

Does anyone happen to know the location of the flasher relay and how much of the bike I have to tear down to get to it?!

I'm looking at changing my indicators for LED's and I'm looking at swapping the stock relay for something like this:

R&G LED Flasher Relay : OEM block for Honda, Kawasaki & Yamaha

I think it will be a neater solution than using additional resistors.

Cheers, Mike

• Like 1

Rich TT

I think the Yamaha ones have resistors built in, so they're plug and play. I remember my Aprilia Tuono ECU controlled them, so no need for resistors either. Some LEDs may also have them built in. I'd recommend checking/trying before you rip the bike down as you may not need to.

CReamflourish

Hi Rich,

I'm aware that the Yamaha ones have built in resistors, but I'm probably not going to use them. However, I wasn't aware that other aftermarket ones might also have them built in, so that's something worth knowing and I'll definitely check up on!

Cheers.

• Like 1

Motoadventure

The Yam ones have a resistor on each one I think but do not come with the plug attached. I had to cut the female part off the existing indicators  and splice the wires. I found this a b it of a faf and disappointment that Yamaha could not have just put the correct connectors on. its a bit of a job to strip the bike down but good practice for when you have to/  

Hope this is of use.  Mick   

CReamflourish

@Motoadventure yes I read that somewhere, I think might have even been from something you posted in another thread on here! 👍

That’s part of the reason why I probably won’t use the Yam ones, i figure if you need to faff around like that with genuine stuff then there are other options available.

I’m planning on using some adaptor leads to get me from the bullet connectors you typically get to the Yam plugs on the loom. Something like these:

image.jpeg.c7e4ab9e08cfc13f096e52b1e7ff5aac.jpeg

Cheers, Mike

Edited by CReamflourish

MG700

Flasher relay is under the seat on RHS

U don’t need to change blinkers

R10 LEDs bulbs are cheaper (10€ for four vs 150€) and brighter than OEM 9led blinkers.

Easy change (just one srew) no need of rerouting wires, resistors or adaptors.

Edited by MG700
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

CReamflourish

I relented and picked up a set of genuine Yamaha LED flashers today, but there is no way that my OCD can deal with all those resistors and bullet connectors.

So I replaced the stock relay with one of these:

LED Indicators work to a to a lower wattage than standard bulb-type indicators. To avoid rapid flashing it may be necessary to replace the existing relay with a specially designed LED relay with the correct wattage. This LED Winker relay OEM connector is for Honda, Kawasaki and Yamaha motorcycles. E

20200209_205333798_iOS.thumb.jpg.34139a5882f4d3e8f795cd1cd0dd67f8.jpg

I reused the  original rubber mount and a cable tie mount it in the original position.

20200209_205251734_iOS.thumb.jpg.527577530355f9fdf490b411577921c4.jpg

I've got a full set of 'Indy Leads' on order and I'm going scavenge the OE style connectors to solder and heat-shrink onto the new indicator leads so they plug straight into the loom..... basically how Yamaha should have done it!

@MG700 - thanks for pointing me in the right direction for the flasher relay location. 👍

MGG

Does anyone have the details on the type of bulb Yamaha uses for turn signals ?

The service manual provides only wattage ... "Front turn signal light 10.0 W × 2"

I was hopping to upgrade those to LED ... and possibly have both DRL and turn signals combined ... 

MG700

please look on my comment

its r10 bulb

• Like 1

Lupan

I got this ones, they say don't need the relay...

Screenshot_20200213-183327~2.png

TimmyTheHog
27 minutes ago, Lupan said:

I got this ones, they say don't need the relay...

Screenshot_20200213-183327~2.png

So this thing has all the relay build in the light which means no need to mess with the OEM relay?

Lupan

I didn't install them yet... Probably this weekend i'm going to do it at least the front ones to see... These are 10 € from China with love... But they are not small, more or less like the Yamaha extra...

Edited by Lupan
  • Like 1

TimmyTheHog
1 minute ago, Lupan said:

I didn't install them yet... Probably this weekend i'm going to do it ar least the front ones to see... These are 10 € from China with love... But they are not small, more or less like the Yamaha extra...

Can't wait for your report 😄

MGG
5 hours ago, MG700 said:

please look on my comment

its r10 bulb

I can't seem to find the bulb type "R10" ... anyone have picture, sizing or link showing compatible LED?

I am not familiar with the "R10" standard ... maybe there is another number like BA15S ?

Maybe the R10 has nothing to do with the actual bulb type ... but more with wattage

I did find an indication for R10 here: https://www.lightbulbs.com/product/ge-23322

GE Incandescent Miniature / Automotive Light Bulb (2 pack) (23322)
#R10W - 10 watt - 13.5 volt - G6 - Single Contact Bayonet (BA15s) Base

image.png.95cefa49ffecc8c2111661a7f379c961.png

Could it be similar to the MT-07 ... https://www.lightbulbs.com/automotive/2018-yamaha-mt-07-replacement-light-bulbs

Eiko Incandescent Miniature / Automotive Light Bulb (40935)
#7443 - 1.85/.44 amp - 13.5 volt - T6 - Maxi Wedge Double Filament (W3x16q) Base

image.png.918776915e80006a0bef981f1292a7f5.png

Since the T7 is so low tech it probably is the cheapest possible.

Can someone confirm if the original Turn signal bulb is a single connector with a bayonet base ? ...   or maybe a dual connector base for the front and a single connector for the rear ?

image.png.decb5f8b5e1f929bd225ffa3d803ea7c.png

And the replacement could be the 1156/BA15S/P21W

image.png.94a7610203e723ca59680ec7b72107ed.png

• Like 2

Tazmool

Good thread and discussion, 

One of the very early mods will be to pull the oem blinkers and replace with an led set, and replacing the relay is always the way I do it on my bikes (except maybe the very first change over I did waaaay back on a fzr600) 

Tazmool

bikeever

I like these old school flashlights. Keep it simple🤓

MG700

sorry my mistake

its not r10

should be RY10w BAU15S

61869B9B-1D14-4E79-98A5-C74A9D44C467.jpeg

Edited by MG700
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

bikeever

This is OEM bulb for EU version, 12V 10W

59E3B838-15BA-4D7C-A44F-C00A49DF0361.thumb.jpeg.8a943d5c0e0c2ac4e4d13987d144ae66.jpeg

EDA313E1-4BC0-40B3-B7C1-B6C537F451D2.thumb.jpeg.88e0e7eb6f0c2a70703b35eef7de413c.jpeg

Edited by bikeever
  • Thanks 1