Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum
Dibles

T700 Corrosion

Question

Dibles

Hi All,

Anyone having any issues with corrosion. She's done around 2500m in all weathers. I have a few fasteners on the bike which look like they have been outside for a while now all rusted over. Also i confirmed with the dealer that the spokes are not stainless steel. Mine are looking quite grotty already and just wondered if anyone is having any similar quality issues.

I did ACF50 the bike as soon as i got it so surprised to see any corrosion to be honest but it is what it is so just going to keep bathing it in that and GT85 and hope it doesn't get much worse

bth2

i have found this too. first outing on salty roads saw corrosion set in. i coated most of bike in xcp .where this has stayed on ,it has protected but unfortunatly when the bike was in for its first service the mechanic wiped all xcp off the rear wheel and spokes thinking it was chain oil. the front spokes are still nice and shiney. typical yamaha...they build bikes down to a price. i accept this. great bikes but you do have to look after them.

• Like 1

Dibles

Yes my rear spokes are worse than the fronts too. The rims themselves seem like new so going to look at getting wheels rebuilt with new stainless spokes but obviously didn't really think i would need to do this so gonna have to start saving for them now. Also will save up for when pro bolt release a complete bike kit for the bike. Likewise its disappointing but i still love the bike so much i wouldn't change it or want for anything else. 

Cruizin

Jeez, they skimped on the freaking spokes? Did they think that we would only ride on sunny days and avoid all mud puddles? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Dibles

I know its a bit like the AT's the pre 16 models came with steel and the later models came with stainless. Its a shame really everything should come with stainless these days.

manny

Yep ive had the same problem in Australia. it seems the zinc coating on the spokes & other fasteners just isn't thick enough.

• Like 3

Motoadventure
2 hours ago, manny said:

Yep ive had the same problem in Australia. it seems the zinc coating on the spokes & other fasteners just isn't thick enough.

Yes agreed 4000 miles and mine looks like an old bike swapping stuff for stainless. Muck off did a lot of damage early on ruining my panniers with white marks all over from new. avoid using if you can. 

• Like 1

CReamflourish

More expense!

Wheel rebuild with stainless now on the to-do list. I'm already seeing dulling/staining of the galvanised spokes, particularly on the rear, and its only just had its first wash after 250 miles.... I'll be hitting it hard with ACF-50 over the weekend!

• Like 1

Bahat

Hi

in addition to the spokes, I have some corrosion building up on the front of the flue tank, looks like the local dealer will not take responsibility for it as they claim it is no covert by the warranty.

Tank_corrosion.jpg

Gpk183

I am just getting to 1000km and keep the bike in doors and have corrosion on the spokes and the exhaust. Very disappointed as there is little or no corrosion on my 20 year old R1

Whitey66
3 hours ago, Gpk183 said:

I am just getting to 1000km and keep the bike in doors and have corrosion on the spokes and the exhaust. Very disappointed as there is little or no corrosion on my 20 year old R1

Do you live on the coast?

johnnygolucky
Posted (edited)

Yikes. I can't help but wonder if the bikes that will be coming out of Japan soon will have better rust prevention than the ones made in France. I sure hope so. 

Edited by johnnygolucky

Loftylad

Yamaha replacing my rear spokes under warranty.

like for like I can only hope the replacements are as the front they seem ok.

They will be replacing them again if

the same tarnishing happens.

Maybe stainless eventually.

image.jpg

• Like 5

Dibles
Posted (edited)

As did Loftylad I'm getting new wheels under warranty. Obviously now a delay due to current situation but going to get some stainless spokes and give them to dealer to fit...they said they would fit them for me instead of the new standard ones.

Edited by Dibles

Stephen H

I had my rear wheel rebuilt under warranty because all the spokes were in a very bad state and that was after just 600 miles.

I checked them just the other day with 900 miles on the clock and they are just as bad so ran it in to the dealer who is going to put another warranty claim in to Yamaha.

I previously had a Tenere 1200 and I never had any issues with the spokes or any fixing on that bike but I suspect the 700 will be a different story. I noticed today the hanger for the footpegs had started to tarnish so that will be my next issue I bring up with the dealer.

As previously mentioned the front wheel spokes are fine.

Also my sons bike is having exactly the same rear wheel issues which make s me think its a quality issue.

• Like 1

Stephen H

IMG_0255.JPG

manny
12 minutes ago, Stephen H said:

IMG_0255.JPG

yep they look just like mine in australia

Stephen H

This is the picture after they had replaced them the 1st time so I had only done 300 miles on this second set when I noticed there condition. When I took it in for the 1st time I got the usual questions about what I had washed the bike in and I hadn’t used anything to make the spokes go like that. I also said what ever I washed the bike with I had used on the front wheel and that’s fine. It’s still fine now. 

Melv

Hi everyone.  My T7 and my sons T7 have exactly the same corrosion issues with the spokes. Yamaha have agreed to replace them with the same,  but we are paying for the cost of stainless replacements so it never happens again. Very dissapointed as it's  such a brilliant bike otherwise, and now I dont know how many days, months or years I'm going to be staring at my bike in the garage with no wheels on.!!!!

Spuzvica

I am secretly hoping my rear spokes start rusting as well so I can have Yamaha replace them and while doing so replace with stainless spokes and a 2.5 inch rear Excel rim from Off-the-road 🙂

• Like 2

boboneleg

My rear spokes are the same, fronts are fine.  We all know the problems Honda had with spokes on their CRF1000l's so are these shitty spokes all coming from the same supplier?

Stephen H

I wonder if enough of us actually take our bikes in because of the state of the spokes they may replace them with stainless versions. It would be nice to think that would happen but I somehow doubt it. 

Timo

+1

Rich TT

Mine are OK at the moment, but I haven't been out on our lovely salty roads in the UK winter.

I'm interested to know if the people that have the problem have run in the winter or it was exacerbated by using muc-off or some other aggressive cleaner. Whatever it is, it's not acceptable and they should have been stainless in the first place.

Cheers

Rich

Stephen H

Mine has not been out in the salty conditions and only been washed in warm water with a small amount of car wash which I’ve used and all my bikes including my 1200 Tenere that had steel spikes just like the 700. I actually ran my fingers down a few of my front spikes yesterday and they are quite rough when you would expect them to be smooth so the galvanizing would adhere better. How are other peoples 

Rich TT
2 hours ago, Stephen H said:

Mine has not been out in the salty conditions and only been washed in warm water with a small amount of car wash which I’ve used and all my bikes including my 1200 Tenere that had steel spikes just like the 700. I actually ran my fingers down a few of my front spikes yesterday and they are quite rough when you would expect them to be smooth so the galvanizing would adhere better. How are other peoples 

That's good to know. Clearly a dodgy batch or they all are. Be great for you to get stainless spokes.

Cheers