Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

T700 Corrosion

Dibles

Question

Hi All,

Anyone having any issues with corrosion. She's done around 2500m in all weathers. I have a few fasteners on the bike which look like they have been outside for a while now all rusted over. Also i confirmed with the dealer that the spokes are not stainless steel. Mine are looking quite grotty already and just wondered if anyone is having any similar quality issues.

I did ACF50 the bike as soon as i got it so surprised to see any corrosion to be honest but it is what it is so just going to keep bathing it in that and GT85 and hope it doesn't get much worse

Keep a eye on your front spokes noticed mine are beginning to tarnish 

just the same as the rear.

Not good enough 1200 miles only.

Yamaha should be  replacing  with stainless.

Both front and rear wheel spokes looking very secondhand after 500 miles. Got some other corrosion on the fasteners for the exhaust end cap and the shield. Going to replace them with stainless and keep an eye on the others for now. 

Although its a good idea to pay the extra or supply your dealer with the stainless steel spokes,  unless the dealer has a good arrangement with a wheelbuilder  you may be without your wheels for quite a while...it really varies from dealer to dealer.  John at Rally Raid is doing a good deal on part exchanging your own wheels for a set built with stainless spokes on nice gold anodized rims...using the OEM T7 hub.  Cheers Steve 

20200331_130117.jpg

20200331_130303.jpg

• Like 4

The underside of my tank is starting to look quite sketchy. 2500km. Will see what the dealers suggest about warranty. 

At the very least it'll want prophylactic sanding and protective paint. Luckily it's on the underside so won't matter if it looks shoddy. 

If you've got a weekend free, take your tank off and check.

IMG_20200628_133048.jpg

• Like 2

Interesting topic, my  GS1250 spokes were getting very dull after 2000 miles and noticed corrosion on brackets etc, salt is a bike killer and will never ride in the salt anymore even tho i washed them straight away

Thats good to hear Adrian, just checked me spokes and all perfect. I do however spray everything with wurth 2040 and wipe everything down after. Use muc off but diluted 50/50 and use quicksilver corrosion guard for out the way places, like acf but alot easier to work with

Edited by Matth

Ok cool, yep loving it , just had the running in service done and wacked on a 16 tooth sprocket which has helped so much, hopefully get out for some off roading soon

• Like 1

On 6/28/2020 at 3:45 PM, NeverMetThePope said:

The underside of my tank is starting to look quite sketchy. 2500km. Will see what the dealers suggest about warranty. 

At the very least it'll want prophylactic sanding and protective paint. Luckily it's on the underside so won't matter if it looks shoddy. 

If you've got a weekend free, take your tank off and check.

IMG_20200628_133048.jpg

Update time. 

New tank fitted under warranty. No issues. Just delayed due to getting the tank and then by me finding the time to make the exchange. 

Excellent customer service from dealer and Yamaha. 

• Like 1

Hi 

Mine is 8 months old and has only done 1000 miles, been washed after rides etc and stored in a garage. She looks shocking! corrosion everywhere - engine, spokes, radiator, fuel tank, linkages the lot. Looks worse than my 21yro BMW. What now?

1 hour ago, LK-C said:

Hi 

Mine is 8 months old and has only done 1000 miles, been washed after rides etc and stored in a garage. She looks shocking! corrosion everywhere - engine, spokes, radiator, fuel tank, linkages the lot. Looks worse than my 21yro BMW. What now?

Pictures of the problem areas?  Is it under warranty?  What are the road conditions like where you live?  Is the bike being stored wet?  In general things shouldn't corrode after 8 months/1000 miles unless other external factors are accelerating the process.  Off-hand I'd say take it to the dealer if you're concerned.

Ride it dry after washing. The known corrosion problem areas are : spokes, tank inside the filler neck and outside left and right bottom and bottom of tank, silencer.

In the German forum it has been said that dealers replace spokes and tanks under warranty. I am curious if Yamaha has improved that on the 21's but I really doubt it.

On 3/6/2021 at 9:45 AM, Doc Brown said:

Ride it dry after washing. The known corrosion problem areas are : spokes, tank inside the filler neck and outside left and right bottom and bottom of tank, silencer.

In the German forum it has been said that dealers replace spokes and tanks under warranty. I am curious if Yamaha has improved that on the 21's but I really doubt it.

Well there bugger all point in replacing the tank if there's no improvement. My replacement has been that proofed underneath anyway.

Rumour has it, that only the white tanks from the blue bikes affected. Anyone seen rust on a red and white or black bike? 

Mine has 800 miles on it, never seen rain  and only been ridden 4 times, never even washed and was soaked in ACF50 from new. My spokes, front and rear are horrendous, corrosion is happening all over the bike, rear sprocket, caliper banjo's, nuts and bolts everywhere. Have sent pics to the dealer, waiting to hear back.

For folks with rust issues maybe give CorrosionX a try? Have heard good things about it taking care of rust if it has already formed as well as a prevention method. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009E1QWI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_ADEBD7YGB0BCDJFCF5S7?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by Ferrous

On 2/4/2020 at 4:46 AM, Cruizin said:

Jeez, they skimped on the freaking spokes? Did they think that we would only ride on sunny days and avoid all mud puddles? 

eek EEEKKK!!  If I so much as a spot of rust I'll be up them like a rat up a drain pipe!!!  Push bikes have had SS spokes for decades, what were they thinking?

Wow I can’t believe what i am  reading ref corrosion.I have got a 2010 bmw f800 GS I do use acf50 but there is no corrosion. I should be placing my order next week for a 2023 world raid but I am seriously considering cancelling my order.  Ref what I have been reading this is unacceptable.does any body know if the new models have stainless spokes?

thanks paul

Is there a pattern on which bikes are affected? I believe the wheels might be actually built in country. I’ve not yet (touch wood) had any issues with build quality. My spokes are fine too, although that may be because I rarely remove the chain oil from them so are protected. Mine was one of the French built bikes. They seem to be well made. Might be the difference is dealer finishing the build. ( doesn’t account for the early fuel tanks though). 

Edited by Dougie

I believe the early EU bikes had an issue with improper degreasing of the tank causing rust under the tank but i also seen frames with some spots.
Sounds logical as they are build in France and here in the Netherlands we refer to "the French way" (de Franse slag) when something is done with little to no attention to detail.
They also have a history with bad rust prevention, the Renault cars use to already be rusted in the brochure.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Ray Ride4life said:

I believe the early EU bikes had an issue with improper degreasing of the tank causing rust under the tank but i also seen frames with some spots.
Sounds logical as they are build in France and here in the Netherlands we refer to "the French way" (de Franse slag) when something is done with little to no attention to detail.
They also have a history with bad rust prevention, the Renault cars use to already be rusted in the brochure.

Yes. They still do. Sadly, most if not everything about this is true.

I know why I treat mine with ACF-50 regularly. Until now no signs of corrosion - only on my German Hepo&Becker center stand 😂

My spokes don't look shiny, brake pad dust sticks really bad to them. But no real rust yet.

Just now, Ray Ride4life said:

On my bike nothing is shiny :classic_huh:

But nothing can corrode. Oxygen can not penetrate mud 😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Stormtrooperx7 said:

Wow I can’t believe what i am  reading ref corrosion.I have got a 2010 bmw f800 GS I do use acf50 but there is no corrosion. I should be placing my order next week for a 2023 world raid but I am seriously considering cancelling my order.  Ref what I have been reading this is unacceptable.does any body know if the new models have stainless spokes?

thanks paul

Relax mate - get that WR, it's not a big deal.

• Like 1

Thanks guys , I think I need to do I bit more research and call the dealership see if I can find out where the world raid is assembled .

8 minutes ago, Stormtrooperx7 said:

Thanks guys , I think I need to do I bit more research and call the dealership see if I can find out where the world raid is assembled .

If this is really keeping you from getting one, better get a KTM.

Rust won't be an issue on them, because everything else will fail until corrosion can do its job.

• Haha 3