Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

John61

Test road our T7 on the rad and trails at the weekend, with my open-face helmet, much less wind noise & buffeting, and the larger side deflectors work well at reducing turbulence.

We have these available now to order, plus the headlight protector, in Clear or Light Tint.

http://www.rally-raidproducts.co.uk/yamaha-t7-tenere/yamaha-t7-tenere-headlight-protector

88183260_3369109036437268_9068587583079972864_n.jpg

• Like 1

Picked the bike up yesterday and I've fitted the Ermax screen today, I'll give a comparison when I've had a ride out with it. Identical to oem screen just 85mm taller. 

IMG_20200302_120217.jpg

IMG_20200302_120210.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I've not really had long enough to test it as I only had a quick ride since fitting it, I'm running the stock seat atm but plan to get a rally seat. I'm 6'4".

Hoping to get a ride out this weekend weather depending and I'll report back. 

• Like 2

Well, gave the screen a proper test today about 150 miles of wind, rain and the odd bit of sun. 

The screen gave a little more protection and moved some of the air over my head but being slim like the OEM one it let a lot round the sides so still some buffeting but nothing too bad and not worse than the original and only over 60mph below that its manageable and my helmet is quite noisy anyway. 

For day to day its fine if I were touring big distances I'd look at one with more side deflection to give a bigger bubble of smooth air. 

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Hi. Has anyone gotten to The point where sound level from The screen is less then when standing up? Or would You say that is impossible? 

On 2/23/2020 at 10:11 AM, Aleksandar13 said:

Can someone report on the T7 rally kit ... does it produce clean air .. I am 6.4 and would be interested to know.

Cheers Aleks 

I have the T7 and it adjusts well. I'm 6'-1" and in the full up position (see photo) it works better than stock but then again I'm used to a Super Tenere with a over stock shield. This is a narrow style bike and I think will be hard to remove all buffeting without getting a goober looking sheet of plywood type shield. I think its going to be a fine line to find the shield that will work for each person.

20200708_181625.thumb.jpg.843c11beefce373b40d7ab4204e40b99.jpg

Edited by Combo
added content.
  • Like 2

After reading this post I put the powerbronze sports screen on and it really works to keep the airflow smooth. I am 6'6 with the rally seat so a tall screen would need to be huge to get no air on me so this is by far the best solution and also looks great on the bike.

• Like 3

Fitted Powerbronze screen and winglets didn't make a lot of difference 

29 minutes ago, Steve White said:

Which model  screen did you fit?

Does anyone have any updates on using the Skidmarx screen?

This one and the Puig screen (sans OEM-like screens like ermax) are the only ones I like the look of, and currently the skid one is cheaper to buy&ship to US than the Puig screen from ebay. I'd consider the Givi screen but good god the top of that screen looks like a the top of a CRT screen..

I ordered this flowrider in clear on eBay. It has has been awesome. I also ordered the T7 rally adjuster bracket but have not received it yet and looks like I won't need it but for the taller guys on a rally seat it should make a nice combo. I'm 5'11"

Screenshot_20200720-184145.png

5 hours ago, loneranger700 said:

Does anyone have any updates on using the Skidmarx screen?

This one and the Puig screen (sans OEM-like screens like ermax) are the only ones I like the look of, and currently the skid one is cheaper to buy&ship to US than the Puig screen from ebay. I'd consider the Givi screen but good god the top of that screen looks like a the top of a CRT screen..

Yes, I have the Skidmarx screen. Works well for me and is a vast improvement over the std screen. Minimal turbulence and noise. I'm 5'9" & Schuberth C3 Adventure helmet without the peak. Just don't like the look of the Skidmaex but function over form....

Making James May look quick!

I had the T7 Rally's screen adjuster kit. No significant improvement to the noise. I adjusted the screen about twenty times and the kit broke. So threw the kit to the trash bin. 

Yesterday I tried five centimeters lower screen (same as the Powerbronze's). I think that this is the right direction. Wind noise was much lower and softer at all speeds. A bit more pressure to the chest but not much. I about 183 cm.

Edited by Totti

"Eternally, unavoidably, eventually, all paths will lead to the cemetery." Sentenced

On 7/8/2020 at 10:07 PM, CaptainBackfire said:

Hi. Has anyone gotten to The point where sound level from The screen is less then when standing up? Or would You say that is impossible? 

Yes Im 6'3" and right in the buffeting zone. I've stood up at up to 60mph (not on the roads of course) and there is considerably less noise. I'm hoping that a screen thats 80-90 cm taller solves the problem for my height.  

Fitted the Ermax screen today and its OK. The edge quality/finish of the perspex isnt as good as Givi/Puig products if that's an issue for you. But its Ok for £75.

So its 80cm taller and moves the buffeting zone up by about the same amount. Makes life more tolerable for my height @ 6'3" I dont think you will ever eliminate buffeting on an offroad capable ADV bike unless you fit something that looks really out of place and cross winds on a tall ADV bike are always going to be worse than low slung bikes. 

I might try a cheap chinese clip on deflector now to see how that improves things on boring motorway trips.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Medog van Bike said:

Fitted the Ermax screen today and its OK. The edge quality/finish of the perspex isnt as good as Givi/Puig products if that's an issue for you. But its Ok for £75.

So its 80cm taller and moves the buffeting zone up by about the same amount. Makes life more tolerable for my height @ 6'3" I dont think you will ever eliminate buffeting on an offroad capable ADV bike unless you fit something that looks really out of place and cross winds on a tall ADV bike are always going to be worse than low slung bikes. 

I might try a cheap chinese clip on deflector now to see how that improves things on boring motorway trips.

Give the t7rally adjustable windscreen brackets a try, solved a few problems for me on all the screens i have.  Made the stock one quite bearable.

Rally adjusters make the Givi screen work better.  Being able to raise and lower it helps a lot.  I found that removing my helmet peak also helped a lot this weekend. 

• Like 1

On 7/15/2020 at 12:53 PM, Steve White said:

Hi Guys

My first post on this forum. So I'll try and kill  more than two birds with one stone...

Intro: Not ridden a bike since I came back from leading bike expeditions from London to Cape Town (down the West side) 13 years ago. Turning into an old git and yearning to get back to Africa. Too much time on my hands during lock down and discovered there was a practical alternative to buying a good condition, 18-year old Africa Twin for not much more money...

I picked up my T7 in the slow colour last week from Yeovil. First things? Had the dealer fit a centre stand that looks really ugly and the Yamaha heated grips. (Just hoping they are better than some have reported!)

What's next? OSCO chain oiler arrives tomorrow. Not cheap but nicely made, very easy to fit, easy to use, not much to go wrong, economical (the 100ml bottle supplied lasts 6,000km) and can use engine oil if desperate. Yesterday, I fitted a Powerbronze rear hugger so that the bike stays a bit cleaner while we're still in love. It will come off again before the big trip. Matches the bike in matt black but they could have trimmed the edges to follow the line of the swingarm rather than protruding beyond on the exhaust side which looks rather ugly close up. (Might add a pic if requested). And..... of course, a touring screen. More on that below.

Regrets? I had no trouble manhandling big GS's across Africa on TKC80s and now I have to spend a lot of money or faff around for hours with tubes 😞

So back to touring screens. All of this post is a long way of saying that I agree with Steve. I chose Powerbronze flip screen based on days of old when I used to fit screens to my sports bikes. It looks nice (light tint), goes on easily, but I'm 6'1" and can't say I noticed a difference today at 60mph. I will do a back to back test with the OEM before offering it for sale and trying something else. I think part of the problem may be 'side buffeting' because as others have mentioned, most of these screens are quite narrow. The other thing I noticed was that, usually when I stand up on the pegs, I find clean air, but today with this screen, it made no difference.

Reading this thread, I'm not sure what to try next. But perhaps it's a case of lots of fiddling around with an adjustable or, based on what I've just said, trying something like the Givi.

Cheers, all.

Rick

P.S. I wear an Arai Tour-X with a peak. 

Edited by Rickster
Additional info

On 7/22/2020 at 1:22 PM, Jannijm said:

What a bike, the T700! Just returned from a trip to Norway and thoroughly enjoyed both the country of Norway and driving on the Tenere. On the way back I managed to drive Hirtshals Denmark to Nijmegen in Netherlands, about 950 km, in 1 day. I am 185 cm and I use the rally saddle in combination with the Kedo rails with which you can slide the screen up- and down. I drive with the screen in the highest position and can then easily cruise on the highway. No problems with turbulence or pressure on my chest. I use the Arai Tour X-4 helmet.

IMG_2779.jpeg

I see that KEDO have 2 products on their website for a similar price. One which gives up to +55mm adjustment and one that gives -15mm to +75mm. I don't understand why they have 2 products because the second one seems to do everything the first one does, and more. Which one are you recommending? 

1 hour ago, Jannijm said:

I use the second one (-15mm to +75mm) and think this is the most versatile.

Thanks! 👍

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2020 at 5:31 PM, Colddog said:

Give the t7rally adjustable windscreen brackets a try, solved a few problems for me on all the screens i have.  Made the stock one quite bearable.

I've ordered the Kedo version. +70mm and the Ermax screen should be plenty.

Edited by Medog van Bike
correction of factual error

I have a Puig screen & still get buffeting. I wear an AGV Ax-8 dual evo & you can feel the peak vibrating. That said AGV recommend removing the peak at speeds above 62mph. I'm getting buffeting below that speed. I've now modified it as it closed off the gap at the front lower edge where the standard screen would let air through. I'm thinking that the Yamaha engineers did this for a reason so I've made the Puig screen the same. Still to try it out modified though.

20200806_173646.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/30/2020 at 7:38 PM, Jannijm said:

I use the second one (-15mm to +75mm) and think this is the most versatile.

Hello again! I installed the Kedo adjusters and tried the OEM screen at -15, +15, +45, +75 and still have the same problem. The problem is noise (while wearing earplugs) rather than buffeting while on road. Standing on the pegs at 60mph (97kph) is much better, with just clean air. I'm 6'1" (186cm) with standard seat and Arai Tour-X.

Is that the original screen you are using? What setting do you have on your adjusters?

Thanks. 

On 8/12/2020 at 9:50 AM, Medog van Bike said:

I've ordered the Kedo version. +70mm and the Ermax screen should be plenty.

How did that go?