Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

John61

20 hours ago, Rickster said:

How did that go?

I'm always aiming not to worsen my tinitus so its buffeting I dislike the most. After trying a few things the best position is where the top of the screen is level with your nose/just below the eyes. Any higher can be worse. The Ermax helps keep the gap at the bottom to a minimum. Ive tried a few mock ups taped to the screen to replicate other screen size options out there and going wider doesnt help me much. For me it's still 50/50 between a screen height just below your eyes and a low screen like the powerbronze. I have a feeling that my non std round (folding) mirrors might have a fair bit to do with buffeting. Will be putting the std mirrors back on soon to test this out.

20 hours ago, Rickster said:

Hello again! I installed the Kedo adjusters and tried the OEM screen at -15, +15, +45, +75 and still have the same problem. The problem is noise (while wearing earplugs) rather than buffeting while on road. Standing on the pegs at 60mph (97kph) is much better, with just clean air. I'm 6'1" (186cm) with standard seat and Arai Tour-X.

Is that the original screen you are using? What setting do you have on your adjusters?

Thanks. 

Ive found the same. I wish I could find a 'sat down' solution thats as good as standing up on the pegs where the clean air is.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Medog van Bike said:

I'm always aiming not to worsen my tinitus so its buffeting I dislike the most. After trying a few things the best position is where the top of the screen is level with your nose/just below the eyes. Any higher can be worse. The Ermax helps keep the gap at the bottom to a minimum. Ive tried a few mock ups taped to the screen to replicate other screen size options out there and going wider doesnt help me much. For me it's still 50/50 between a screen height just below your eyes and a low screen like the powerbronze. I have a feeling that my non std round (folding) mirrors might have a fair bit to do with buffeting. Will be putting the std mirrors back on soon to test this out.

Exactly the same here. The whole problem is exacerbated with tinnitus. 

• Like 2

I recently picked up my new T7 and rode it home 3,000 km on highways. I am 6' 2" and and so opted for the Rally seat. I probably averaged 100 kph and found wind noise and buffeting reasonable. What I discovered is that if I cracked open my helmet visor an inch or so (I have a Schuberth C3 Pro} things got very quiet! I also played around with my head position and if I tilted my head back 5-10 degrees noise also reduced significantly, but that is not a position I could ride in. So my feeling is that the air flowing over the screen is very smooth, but the shape of ones helmet is very key to having a quiet ride.  My Schuberth helmet is not as good as I assumed. I think that another 2 inches of screen height might help to compensate for the turbulence my helmet is creating.  I am also going to experiment with my helmet  to see if I can find a way to make it quieter. I think the weird protrusion at the top of my helmet, for letting in air, is the culprit.

In regards to buffeting from how narrow the bike and screen are, I didn't find it problematic. Other than driving thru strong crosswinds, that definitely moved the bike side to side and caused extreme wind turbulence, I found buffeting well contained.

I rode 3,000 km in 4 days and found the T7 to be a dream. It is soo easy to ride and soo smooth that it blows me away. I am coming from a KLR 650, so I guess anything would be better!

Edited by YukonPete
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm 6' 3". Helmet AGV ax-8 dual evo.  Well I've tried my Puig screen modified & there's no difference. I still get a lot of buffeting to the point where it's annoying. The screen isn't as thick has the standard one which probably doesn't help. I've tried it with the peak on my helmet removed & it made hardly any difference. They say they test & design them using a wind tunnel but I doubt it. I'm now thinking about trying the Givi D2145ST which is the same thickness as the standard screen & cheaper than the Puig.

20200806_173646.jpg

20200717_163116.jpg

1 hour ago, Johnnyboxer said:

Try a screen spoiler ....works very well, IN CONJUNCTION WITH THE T7 Rallye screen adjusters (at full height)

Do you have a link for that one?

9 minutes ago, Johnnyboxer said:

It's a Givi or Kappa one, works fine and not too big, easily removed for offroading

Ta, might pick one up for longer journeys...

There are a few on Amazon for a fraction of the price.

Used on my GS & Guzzi, they are fine as long as you mount them properly. Some require drilling holes to the existing shield, some just clamps right now.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

At 6'4'' i find the standard screen not too bad no buffeting keeps the wind pressure off my chest Shoei Neotec II  i have a Givi clamp on spoiler i am going to try it should lift the wind blast to the top of the helmet from the chin.

Failing that the MRA screen looks good 10 cm taller than the OEM offering.

• Moderators

@JohnStewart Interested in your impressions at speed for differences.  I had a Cal-Sci windscreen on my FJR that added holes near the bottom like the T7 has, which actually helped in reducing rider back pressure. Wondering what effect your mod will have?

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

On 12/1/2020 at 3:59 PM, Romiec said:

MRA screen is nice lookin’ and durable. Totally satisfied with it. +10cm vs oem screen.

Tenere_700_2019-_TM1_A_4025066167401.jpg

With its 204kg, the slim waisted and high Ténéré is light-weight, has a wonderfully smooth steering behaviour and is fun as a travelling companion…

I've got a used one for sale if anyone is interested;

I took my screen completely buggy off. I do ride roads to get to trails, but I (mostly) do more off-road. On harder riding, the screen obstructs vision a bit, and gets worse with dust. The scariest thing, though, was a couple of times when my head went forward after a sketchy front-impact and that screen looked like a knife blade wanting to split my face!  I'll put in on for mostly road rides, but otherwise I want it off. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I installed the Ermax screen with the 55 mm Kedo adapters.
The test drive was encouraging: I (179 cm, 86 cm SL, Bell Moto 9, no earplugs) was able to notice significant improvements in terms of turbulence in every adjustment range of the screen (0, 1/3, 2/3, full). Even 175 km / h was then quite relaxed with the windshield fully extended.

Fixed by an idea of a rear ventilation of the windshield from the German Tenere forum, I then tinkered a solution from a clear helmet visor, which is mounted behind the original holder. And: even more calm and less turbulences than with the Ermax-Kedo- solution ... And that with a very inconspicuous overall picture. The range of uses of the Tenere has expanded significantly for me personally.

Greetings

Peter

IMG_8311.jpg

IMG_8322.jpg

Edited by Peter_W
  • Like 6

On 2/8/2020 at 3:39 PM, BRUNO said:

Puig screen

bulle puig.jpg

Hi.
I have mounted this windshield from Puig.
My experience is that it is absolutely fantastic, I have ridden it for six months now.
I am 178cm tall and basically all the wind noise is gone, absolutely fantastically nice.
If I raise up, I would say that you can have 5cm, and maybe up to 10cm longer back before the wind noise comes back.
So this was really a comfort-enhancing  thing, I'm very happy with this one.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Hi all I’ve got the power bronze screen 400mm in high. It’s been ok but I was still getting buffeting from time to time. So I decided to get a givi tall screen with the wings. I test ride the bike with it on & it was a windy day I found that the big screen catches the wind occasionally giving the front end a weird feeling. It also sits right in line with my vision and I’m not sure if I’ll get used to it or not. I’m 6ft tall and have a klim krois pro helmet. I’ve taken the givi off now & running the givi wings with the power bronze screen it was better as I’m no longer getting front end wobble on windy days. I think I’ll give the givi tall screen another try soon to see how I get on with it. And I’ll get some ear plugs to see if it helps the over all feeling/noise. Jon 

• 1 month later...

I found the Rally Raid winglets make a huge difference. I even removed the screen extender.

What I am noticing is that the majority of the noise isnt coming from over the top of the screen, but around the sides. I have the Rally Raid Winglets but didnt notice anything different, though if i took them off, it may be worse.

But the wind comes right around the sides and nails me in the chest and arms.

Not sure how to fix that.

1 hour ago, jdk2man said:

Not sure how to fix that.

evDaytona: electric motocycle with turgid windscreen | Engadget

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~