Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

John61

• 1 month later...
On 8/12/2020 at 5:28 AM, Adventure6965 said:

I have a Puig screen & still get buffeting. I wear an AGV Ax-8 dual evo & you can feel the peak vibrating. That said AGV recommend removing the peak at speeds above 62mph. I'm getting buffeting below that speed. I've now modified it as it closed off the gap at the front lower edge where the standard screen would let air through. I'm thinking that the Yamaha engineers did this for a reason so I've made the Puig screen the same. Still to try it out modified though.

20200806_173646.jpg

You may be going the wrong direction....

That space allows air to come up under he windscreen making a vacuum which helps eliminate buffeting.

Most remarks I've read here tend to lead to higher screens, which might help but the idea is to either get your helmet into clean air (shorter screen) or behind the screen (the barn door effect).

That said, a higher screen may force air out of your face, but will also crate turbulence behind your head, pushing your head forward which can be very tiring.

Example, KTM 950 Adventure. Similar OEM screen to the T7. Worst buffeting ever.

Cut the screen down 4", back to clean air, even with an adventure helmet.

Back to the vacuum issue. Most modern bikes employ the 'duct' to bring air under the screen.

I've owned a lot of bikes, and the best solution no matter the windshield size, is the MRA X-creen wind deflector/foil.

Again, creates that vacuum and pocket of clean air.

The vacuum effect (wings) is a well  known and studied in GP bikes, cars, and of course aviation.

There's alot of companies out to sell us taller screens, but thay are not often the solution.

As a note, you can buy a curiously identical MRA-type deflector on Amazon for a a smidgen of the price.

I have one of each and they are same same.

IMG_0359.jpg

IMG_7820-X2.jpg

IMG_9077-X2.jpg

• Like 2

I’m running the Givi sport ,the shorter one,with Motopump brackets.

This works for me.

Still , might go with Madd stad if he gets the set up done.

So, I've pretty much run the gamut. I'm 6-2 with a 34" inseam with the Rally seat

Stock

Stock with Puig Lip spoiler

T7 Risers with stock screen

T7 Risers with stock screen with visor mod in front of gauges

T7 Risers with stock screen with Puig Lip Spoiler

T7 Risers with stock screen with Puig Lip Spoiler with visor mod in front of gauges

Stock screen with 1.5" holes drilled in it with all of the above combinations

MRA tall Screen

T7 risers with MRA screen

T7 risers with MRA screen with Puig Lip Spoiler

T7 risers with MRA screen with Puig Lip Spoiler and visor mod

Different mirrors

Side winglets.

ALL of the above created a low frequency buffet/drone that kills the ears. Tinnitus is worse now than 3 days of snowbiking on a YZF450 with an open intake and pipe!

I've tried 5 sets of ear plugs from foamies to oversize custom moulded.

All of the above was a waste of time.

Cut the screen off level with the crossbar, and run disposable foamy earplugs. Left the visor mod, cause I'm too lazy to remove it after all of the above...

All is good, except I can't ride fast with my visor open...😕

• Like 2

I think I have Yamaha disease...

• 7 months later...
On 6/17/2021 at 12:42 AM, Canzvt said:

So, I've pretty much run the gamut. I'm 6-2 with a 34" inseam with the Rally seat

Stock

T7 Risers with stock screen with Puig Lip Spoiler with visor mod in front of gauges

MRA tall Screen

Different mirrors

Side winglets.

ALL of the above created a low frequency buffet/drone that kills the ears. Tinnitus is worse now than 3 days of snowbiking on a YZF450 with an open intake and pipe!

Cut the screen off level with the crossbar, and run disposable foamy earplugs. Left the visor mod, cause I'm too lazy to remove it after all of the above...

My god it’s hopeless 😵💫

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/16/2021 at 11:42 PM, Canzvt said:

Stock

MRA tall Screen

Different mirrors

Side winglets.

I’m with you there brother.  I took the advice last year from this forum.  I own 3 bloody screens. Low sports screen is the only way.  I cut down a screen I mistakenly bought which was same size as original. Just above the x bar. MUCH better. Ride like a naked. Lots of wind but clean air as you said. With good, holed for balance, earplugs. 
mot looks fine too. 

I  have the  National Cycle V-stream Shield sport touring screen its their medium size one, works a treat also fitted the Rally Raid side wind deflectors. 

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_234c.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stu uk said:

I  have the  National Cycle V-stream Shield sport touring screen its their medium size one, works a treat also fitted the Rally Raid side wind deflectors. 

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_234c.jpg

My face has a serious aversion to anything like these in an off road setting. Just appears only a matter of time before you’d kiss the thing with potentially nasty bloody results.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Hammerhead said:

My face has a serious aversion to anything like these in an off road setting. Just appears only a matter of time before you’d kiss the thing with potentially nasty bloody results.

I get the feeling you and i have a bit of the same mindset.

• Like 1

@stu uk I have been considering the medium v-stream, can you provide any additional information regarding reduction in buffeting and noise, compared to the stock windscreen?

thanks in advance

17 hours ago, Hammerhead said:

I don't ride off road.

11 hours ago, RideID said:

@stu uk I have been considering the medium v-stream, can you provide any additional information regarding reduction in buffeting and noise, compared to the stock windscreen?

thanks in advance

Here you go mate.

• Like 1

I just ordered the shortest v-stream. It only adds an inch to the height, but is 4 in. wider. I’m hoping it will make road riding a bit more pleasant without compromising the off road experience. I’ll report back when I’ve had a chance to test it out.

1F72387D-0DD2-4C0A-BF10-BBD8964F7DB3.jpeg

Edited by Frisco
  • Like 5

14 hours ago, Frisco said:

I just ordered the shortest v-stream. It only adds an inch to the height, but is 4 in. wider. I’m hoping it will make road riding a bit more pleasant without compromising the off road experience. I’ll report back when I’ve had a chance to test it out.

I  have smallest VStream N20337 screen and its work really well. wind noise and buffeting is much reduced, I am 6'2 with a 31" inseam - so a long body and I have tried other options but the Vstream is best, with adjustable screen risers

• Like 2

@JB700 this sounds like a good setup (short v-stream windscreen with risers). Do you notice an increase in noise or buffeting when the screen is adjusted to the high position? I am similar height and inseam so I appreciate your information. Thanks

8 hours ago, RideID said:

@JB700 this sounds like a good setup (short v-stream windscreen with risers). Do you notice an increase in noise or buffeting when the screen is adjusted to the high position? I am similar height and inseam so I appreciate your information. Thanks

Hi I have it 10-15mm up from the bottom only and don't get any buffeting

The V screen is a good option, I think

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/23/2022 at 6:32 PM, Frisco said:

Care to share any feedback from this? 

Thanks, Jason

Personally i have no issues with high buffering with oem screen, high rally seat (1.90m). Although cutting it will be better. In this video (in German), the guy put a piece of old visor or goggle behind the opnening of the screen, below and behind the odometer. It moves wind to the sides and he say it works. Maybe an easy, quick and cheap idea to try .

I already posted this in another thread. But i'm very happy with the 45cm screen from skidmarx. Works much better than the MRA one i tried. It's not as ugly as the givi one and it stops a fair good bit of wind noise and buffeting. So i can really recommend this one. Only downside was that it took a few weeks to be made and delivered. But good customer support on their end.

I did also 3d printed some windshield risers, but that sucks. Because a fair bit of wind is being funnelled into the new gap that is created that way. 

Edited by Trikke
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Kingsize said:

Care to share any feedback from this? 

Thanks, Jason

Of course!

I’m loving the new wind screen. It keeps wind off of my body much better than the stock screen (broader), but still leaves the upper part of my helmet in clean air, so no buffeting (only 1in taller). I like the look too. Overall pleased! 👍

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Frisco said:

Of course!

I’m loving the new wind screen. It keeps wind off of my body much better than the stock screen (broader), but still leaves the upper part of my helmet in clean air, so no buffeting (only 1in taller). I like the look too. Overall pleased! 👍

Perfect. How tall a fella are you? 

• 2 months later...
On 2/21/2022 at 9:06 AM, BikeBrother said:

Personally i have no issues with high buffering with oem screen, high rally seat (1.90m). Although cutting it will be better. In this video (in German), the guy put a piece of old visor or goggle behind the opnening of the screen, below and behind the odometer. It moves wind to the sides and he say it works. Maybe an easy, quick and cheap idea to try .

Anyone that has more details on this? How high/low  should the ''visor'' be?

This looks like creating the Airflow screen from Givi. Ugly but it works.

There is no Airflow from Givi for the T7.

This looks a like good option.

I love to get rid of the windnoise on highway speeds. Buffeting is not such an issue with stock screen for me (1.82m).