Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tenere 700 - Skid Plates

tenerecanada

On 4/22/2020 at 12:59 AM, bikeever said:

For me the Yamaha Skid-Plate was first choice. I had the chance to get the Plate and the Box second hand but nearly unused. Very happy with that. As you said, fits perfect to the lines of the bike. 

I am looking at the same option, when you get it, do you mind sharing a picture of it inside, just want to see the size? Thanks

Edited by 0027

On 5/21/2020 at 4:24 PM, Calibre said:

Hmmm. The Camel plate is almost $200 CAD more than the Outback Motortek. Is it $200 better? ObM plate is $275 CAD, in country, free shipping and no duty. Is anyone UNhappy with their Outback Motortek  skid plate? It's not the prettiest Belle of the ball, but it looks like it's got the basics down. 

I am very happy with the OM skidplate. I to chose it because of the linkage and side switch guards. Good design for the money.

• Like 1

Looking to try the AXP. Got a reply email from them about USA shipment. He referred me to a Canadian company that is charging twice their price, once you include shipping. No reply yet on if there is a USA distributor of if they will ship direct.

2 hours ago, slakdawg said:

Looking to try the AXP. Got a reply email from them about USA shipment. He referred me to a Canadian company that is charging twice their price, once you include shipping. No reply yet on if there is a USA distributor of if they will ship direct.

Slavens racing carries axp for dirt bikes. Maybe if several pre ordered from him they could get axp?  I run axp on both my ktm and Honda dirt bikes. Mainly banging on logs around here or the occasional rock ledge in a creek or drop off. They are tough and work great in the Midwest. But I’m kinda wondering how a 450# plus adv bike will do with the plastic skid??  I’m leaning toward ACD or Camel. Someone in Europe try it and report back!  

• Like 2

20200407_120801-Vfinal.jpg

Made with a strong and light weight carbon fiber and kevlar blend High Temperature certified aeronautic resin. Made according to the exact dimensions of the

JTenere05 5% Discount

• Like 2

Can anyone confirm of the HDPE AXP racing skid plate works with the Yamaha center stand?

It looks like it's close to the mounts of the center stand plates so may not

Edited by ScorpionT16

There was some discussion about that on FB and ADVRider. I can't remember what did and didn't fit, but everything was do-able after a bit of a trim. The joy of a plastic skid plate. 😀

On 5/27/2020 at 11:09 AM, T7insta said:
20200407_120801-Vfinal.jpg

Made with a strong and light weight carbon fiber and kevlar blend High Temperature certified aeronautic resin. Made according to the exact dimensions of the

JTenere05 5% Discount

Wow, that's looking very nice

• Like 1

I have the AXP one on the shelf waiting. Hope it fits as good as it looks. 

9 hours ago, Kaveman said:

I have the AXP one on the shelf waiting. Hope it fits as good as it looks. 

Did you order direct? Or where did you get it?  Thanks 

43 minutes ago, Obi-Wan said:

Did you order direct? Or where did you get it?  Thanks 

There website said to contact them through email. I did and ordered it like that. Kinda different but it worked. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am in doubt about getting the ACD or the Adventure Spec skid plate. 

Have anyone seen both in real life? What to get? 

PHOTO-2019-10-31-12-09-37_1200x1200.jpg?

Engine guard  Yamaha Ténéré 700 / T7 TenereModel year | 2019 - 2020   Skid Plate | Bashplate | Engine guard   Skid plate designed and manufactured by ACD Racing Parts to perfectly match the Yamaha Ténéré 700 model year 2019-2020 motorcycles. This skidplate...

adventure-spec-yamaha-tenere-700-bashpla

A 2.2kg bash plate designed to protect your sump, exhausts and frame rails from impact and slides. Made from 5000 series aluminium with PEHD skid rails this ‘plate is TiG welded and powder coated so that it looks as good as it performs.

• Premium Member

599.2 miles on the bike, I think that’s close enough for doing my first oil change😁. Since the dealer installed the “Gut Guard” when it came out of the crate,  I thought it best to review the procedures 😏
It’s a sturdy piece of kit, what sold me was the composite slider that protects the bottom of the shock linkage. Good thinking Cory! 

• Like 3

On 2/12/2020 at 9:40 PM, tenerecanada said:

AXP Racing

8mm HDPE Plastic

2.4kg

Compatibility: SW Motech Crashbars & Center Stand. Yamaha “basic” crash guards. 

299C6B17-3FB6-4A44-A31C-30E6BEE81604.png

A5710C7E-E3F1-43A9-A298-A08B2E2A0204.png

2B2F9B7E-637F-4D38-9798-0B662089A6CB.png

70512F05-697F-4523-A504-E750EB264B07.png

I really like this skid plate, but I think I would cut away the water pump protection area (reports of boot hanging on it) and go with the Sw-Motech aluminum water pump protector, that is if they ever get them back in stock. I think I would also use some metal tape on the inside nearest to the exhaust to radiate the heat away.

• Like 2

What I like  at the AXP is the extra longer plate that protects the lower link of the rear shockabsorber. 

I bought an  ACD and modified it with an extension of 5 mm aluminum  see pictures.  

20200620_103841.jpg

20200620_103712.jpg

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Dipstick said:

What I like  at the AXP is the extra longer plate that protects the lower link of the rear shockabsorber. 

I bought an  ACD and modified it with an extension of 5 mm aluminum  see pictures.  

20200620_103841.jpg

20200620_103712.jpg

Never mind the skid plate.

Loving the BSA....

Mint

Rich

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Rich TT said:

Never mind the skid plate.

Loving the BSA....

Mint

Rich

Hahahaha... 😂

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I like the looks of this one, but it's listed as fitting the XT660Z.

Adventure-Spec Crashplate Yamaha XT660Z Tenere
This skid / bashplate provides upgraded engine protection to your Yamaha XT660Z Tenere. It uses a unique design that incorporates a 4mm aircraft grade aluminium skid plate wrapped with high tensile steel crash bars.

At least Adventure Spec has their website back online so we can now order away!

https://www.adventurespec.com/shop?search=tenere&order=

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

I installed the SWmotech skidplate. I am glad I choose it since it does have extra mount points on the lower footpegs and down tube jonction. 

image.png.06901b53a9b72fed1008ad88cd136eb0.png

The only thing they did not include in the instructions are the proper torque settings for the existing Yamaha mount points. So here they are. 

34Nm for the frame bolt

11Nm for the skidplate bolts

image.png.5df9810106cdbc9b65cf26f0a60bd87a.png

image.png.54ce1051a4fad759ffc0d5fe0f259933.png

The fit with Outback Motortek crash bars is perfect.

70CCEEE0-BDF8-432C-8E89-DC4771322F73.jpeg

Edited by MGG
Added photo, typos
  • Like 1

I just did a 4 day on/offroad trip, and my Camel Gut Guard took some pretty big hits at speed on forestry roads. I didn't hit anything stationary. This was chunks deflected by the front wheel. Just scratches and no dents. 

Thanks @Camel ADV

• Like 3

Anyone have any reviews on Outback's skid plate? I'm really close to getting the Camel plate, but Outback (and I think AXP) are the only two makers right now that, to my knowledge, protect the side kick-stand switch.

• Like 1

I just got an email from AXP Racing indicating that Rocky Mountain ATC/Mc has just received skid plates (Ref. AX1564) they are just arrived and may not be reflected on their web page but to give them a call. This will be the best opportunity both in price and availability for their skid plates for the Tenere here in the US. 

• Like 2

I am leaning towards not adding one.  I made it 2 years so far on the AT with stock skid just fine. Everything offered adds weight. I do not plan to go rock crawling on it anymore than I did on my AT. I did add a huge Altrider to my Super Tenere and regretted it day one.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2020 at 5:20 PM, loneranger700 said:

Anyone have any reviews on Outback's skid plate? I'm really close to getting the Camel plate, but Outback (and I think AXP) are the only two makers right now that, to my knowledge, protect the side kick-stand switch.

I haven't totally beat the Shet out of mine yet, but i have had to use it a bunch of times to skid over logs and such.  So far it is stellar, very strong and a couple of big rocks that have rang off the bottom havent even scuffed the black paint.  Simple to install, priced right good so far! 

Update: Just talked to Rocky Mountain ATC/MC about the AXP skidplate (AX1564) they have not pulled them up into stock yet will be doing so shortly, but they did tell me what the price would be $239.99

I have to say I like that, the weight savings and the superior protection of the suspension linkage. I will be trimming the skid plate back from the water pump coverage, already added TripleClamp cover, and i understand that AXP water pump cover does present a boot clearance issue. I will also be adding metal insulation tape to the inside of the skid plate just to shield the skid plate from the heat. AXP says I don't have to do that, but I figure it will actually increase the longevity of the plate, and it can't hurt.

• Like 1