Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tenere 700 - Skid Plates

tenerecanada

9 hours ago, Colddog said:

I haven't totally beat the Shet out of mine yet, but i have had to use it a bunch of times to skid over logs and such.  So far it is stellar, very strong and a couple of big rocks that have rang off the bottom havent even scuffed the black paint.  Simple to install, priced right good so far! 

Thanks! I ended up pulling the trigger and buying black crash bars and the matte silver plate! Pretty excited for it so far.

• Moderators

Moose Racing is showing this is available, which appears to have ample linkage coverage. Still looking for pictures installed on the T700. Anyone running this one?

Moose Racing

• Like 2

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

• Moderators
2 hours ago, CAJW said:

Moose Racing is showing this is available, which appears to have ample linkage coverage. Still looking for pictures installed on the T700. Anyone running this one?

Moose Racing

Nice find. Good to see an alternative to the AXP Racing one.

Riding footage: www.instagram.com/beefmoto

Message me if you are close - let's go riding!

• Moderators
9 hours ago, tenerecanada said:

Nice find. Good to see an alternative to the AXP Racing one.

Well...... Looks like I spoke too soon. I just got pics from Moose and it looks suspiciously like the AXP. Rebranded? I think I see the AXP logo in the full bike shot. Oh well, I still like the linkage and waterpump coverage and will probably end up with one.

Edit: Just heard back from Moose, they are indeed AXP and will be offering them with a combined AXP/Moose logo. Great response from Moose to my inquiries, which I got within minutes.

T700.jpg

T700-1.jpg

T700-12.jpg

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

@CAJW

I do like the AXP coverage, I will be getting one but I will remove the water pump coverage area because I have heard to much about boots catching on it, I have already added TripleClamp water pump cover because it does not give any interference with braking.

I do like the fact that the AXP is easily modified and I like the fact that the material is shock absorbing so you aren't bouncing so abruptly off a rock impact. The price at Rocky Mountain seems considerably cheaper than what we see from the manufacture directly or from what we see the same unit sold in Europe, especially once you consider shipping cost. 

• Like 1

Just got an email from Rocky Mountain ATV/MC informing me that they now have the AXP Xtrem HDPE Skid Plate in stock and available for immediate shipment for the price of $239.99 part number (1893200022)  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, UtahJack said:

Just got an email from Rocky Mountain ATV/MC informing me that they now have the AXP Xtrem HDPE Skid Plate in stock and available for immediate shipment for the price of $239.99 part number (1893200022)  

Were you able to order one?   I called yesterday, before I saw your email, with an AXP #, AX1564, & she said they didn't have them.   I called today with this number & after much difficulty she came back and said they had some, but they were marked not for sale for some reason.  

@papab

No, I tried this AM, they are still having some snafu with the computer, they do have them in stock but they can't get the computer to allow them to actually make a purchase order.

They promised to let me know as soon as they get it sorted out. I will post the information as soon as they let me know.

• Moderators

To the Canadians reading this, I ordered the AXP skid plate from here:

thumbnail_IMG_8988_1200x1200.jpg?v=15901

AXP Racing Xtrem Skid Plate - Yamaha 700 Tenere available at BFD Moto. Free shipping on orders over $100 anywhere in Canada! Find dirt bike/ snow bike/ adventure touring/ street bike parts and accessories, Husqvarna Motorcycle Accessories, motorcycle tires, riding gear, oil, apparel and more at BFDMOTO.com

Use the code DONTLEAVEUS for an additional discount. $25 oversize freight shipping charge, delivered from Calgary to central Ontario in less than a week. I will post about the fit with the R&G case covers when I get my bike back.

I’m curious how much is an aftermarket skid plate needed? If a person doesn’t plan to “trail ride” but stick to mostly dirt roads/ fire roads etc, is it really needed?  Ive always put a heavy duty plate on my off-road bikes, but they spend all their time off-road.  I do hear some big flying rock hits from time to time.  

@DT675

I understand where you are coming from and to be honest I like you will be mostly riding fire roads, that being said there are some vulnerable parts that are left exposed by the stock skid plate, and my thought is it will only take once to ruin what would otherwise be a lovely day.

Having already crashed on a rocky descent on what would be a double track and succeeded in damaging the exhaust, bending the exhaust mount, bending and creasing the skid plate, twisting the forks, bending the handlebars, damaging the aftermarket grip guards, damaging the rear side cover, damage to the right hand mirror.  On what otherwise would have been considered a lovely day riding relatively slow speeds. I was thankful the crash guards worked. So a little extra protection could be very cost effective, not to mention saving you from some potential headaches, and the potential of possibly stranding you, if you like myself was riding solo. Although I was not stranded it did take considerable time to find a stick strong enough to bend the exhaust out of the way of the swing-arm. 

Edited by UtahJack
  • Like 2

I have been planing on a skid plate and engine guards. I just keep wondering what’s necessary and what isn’t. I suppose none of it is necessary, until it is.  That will kinda be the whole point of the bike for me is to go where I haven’t been before.  Who knows what i might get into. 

• Like 3

They finally got it together at Rocky Mountain ATV/MC and I was able to order my AXP Racing Xtrem HDPE Skid Plate Black  for  2021 YAMAHA TÉNÉRÉ 700 (Part # 1893200022) (Mfg. # AX1564) for $239.99 free shipping estimated delivery Thur. 23rd. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
7 hours ago, DT675 said:

I have been planing on a skid plate and engine guards. I just keep wondering what’s necessary and what isn’t. I suppose none of it is necessary, until it is.  That will kinda be the whole point of the bike for me is to go where I haven’t been before.  Who knows what i might get into. 

I’m of the same mindset. After going back and forth between a few brands I went AXP skid plate and Adventure Spec crash guards. Lightest combination. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, tenerecanada said:

I’m of the same mindset. After going back and forth between a few brands I went AXP skid plate and Adventure Spec crash guards. Lightest combination. 

We're going to need pictures later or it didn't happen. 😉

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CAJW said:

We're going to need pictures later or it didn't happen. 😉

Boy, in the world of photoshop it is amazing that pictures will do it for you. 😄

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, UtahJack said:

Boy, in the world of photoshop it is amazing that pictures will do it for you. 😄

Yep, I'm old school. 😉

On 7/18/2020 at 8:42 AM, UtahJack said:

@papab

No, I tried this AM, they are still having some snafu with the computer, they do have them in stock but they can't get the computer to allow them to actually make a purchase order.

They promised to let me know as soon as they get it sorted out. I will post the information as soon as they let me know.

I ordered mine from Slavens Racing.  They weren't in house yet but were supposed to be arriving this week.  They only received a couple and I bought one awaiting arrival.

Rocky Mtn may have done the same.  Which could explain why they aren't able to "allot" them.  I was watching their stock since AXP told me to hold off since RMATv and Slavens were getting shipments soon.  Next week turned into two weeks and then...well Started having flashbacks of the Great PDP fiasco...

Emailed AXP, then talked to Slavens and placed the order.  Hope it ships soon. 

J

@Goldentaco

According to Rocky Mountain they have 5 in stock today, shipping same day. They said arrive in two days, we will see.

Finally started my part ordering process for my personal Tenere 700...

As for skid plates, I went with the Yamaha accessory one.  Still think it's the nicest looking aesthetically, as as far as protection, it'll serve my needs just fine 🙂 

I have "modification" in mind for it though, that'll make it even better 😉

- Paul

On 7/21/2020 at 9:17 PM, UtahJack said:

@Goldentaco

According to Rocky Mountain they have 5 in stock today, shipping same day. They said arrive in two days, we will see.

I ordered mine thursday morn, they said 1 in stock.   Interesting, it's on the way, coming from Kentucky.  

@papab

I ordered mine on Tue. the 21st. said it would be here Thur. the 23rd. Now on the 24th tracking says will arrive here the 27th.

At least it is in transit. There were 5 In stock on the 21st.

Just for all those getting a plastic skid plate on such a big bike.... 

https://m.facebook.com/Zalexandre.marcoux/posts/pcb.10158723724303385/?photo_id=10158782350822884&mds=%2Fphotos%2Fviewer%2F%3Fphotoset_token%3Dpcb.10158723724303385%26photo%3D10158782350822884%26profileid%3D0%26source%3D48%26refid%3D18%26__tn__%3DEH-R%26cached_data%3Dfalse%26ftid%3D&mdp=1&mdf=1

Looking at the frame, it appears Yamaha has designed it so that a skid plate offers lateral strength to the frame, keeping the rails from bending, in this case the tip bent the frame and hit the engine case. 

Edited by ScorpionT16

• Moderators
2 hours ago, ScorpionT16 said:

Just for all those getting a plastic skid plate on such a big bike.... 

https://m.facebook.com/Zalexandre.marcoux/posts/pcb.10158723724303385/?photo_id=10158782350822884&mds=%2Fphotos%2Fviewer%2F%3Fphotoset_token%3Dpcb.10158723724303385%26photo%3D10158782350822884%26profileid%3D0%26source%3D48%26refid%3D18%26__tn__%3DEH-R%26cached_data%3Dfalse%26ftid%3D&mdp=1&mdf=1

Looking at the frame, it appears Yamaha has designed it so that a skid plate offers lateral strength to the frame, keeping the rails from bending, in this case the tip bent the frame and hit the engine case. 

Bummer! That must've been one hell of a crash, looks like the rear turnsignal got reversed!