Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tenere 700 - Skid Plates

tenerecanada

On 7/21/2020 at 8:13 AM, DT675 said:

I’m curious how much is an aftermarket skid plate needed? If a person doesn’t plan to “trail ride” but stick to mostly dirt roads/ fire roads etc, is it really needed?  Ive always put a heavy duty plate on my off-road bikes, but they spend all their time off-road.  I do hear some big flying rock hits from time to time.  

My Camel plate has a small ding from a hit it took from a fist sized(guessing) rock that the front chucked back while doing about 65 km/h on a rough forestry road. I shudder to think of that hitting the bottom of the case. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DT675 said:

What about with the stock skid plate? 

Yamaha calls it a cowl. For good reason! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if posted yet, but apparently this thing might be something soon. From the ADV forums.

spacer.png

• Like 1

Got my AXP skidplate mounted.

Very impressed with how well the lines and angles match and compliment the Yamaha crash bars, obviously they had these in mind when they developed the skidplate. You can see in the pictures that I did modify the skid plate where it protected the water pump, I have heard of it interfering with your boot during braking. I did add a TripleClamp water pump protection and the skid plate does slightly overlap this.

Also had to do slight modification on skidplate for the Yamaha center stand, this did get rid of most of the protection for the side stand switch, but at the same time I installed the bypass for the side stand switch so that really wasn't a concern.

On installation of the AXP skidplate, if you have the center stand already on the bike you will have to remove all the mounting bolts for the center stand on the left side and the loosen the pivot bolt on the center stand in order to add the additional mounting bracket for the AXP skidplate. Once the mounting bracket is installed you can easily reattach the left side of the center stand before mounting the skidplate.

skidplate.thumb.jpg.20d4ddf04248406fafd133df94033b74.jpg

skidplate2.thumb.jpg.6536ac784346aa93e564a725923b5594.jpg

One side note on the Yamaha crash bars, ordered a set for my wife's bike, now I haven't weighed the bars individually but I noticed the shipping weight was 14 lbs. so it is safe to say they weight around 13lbs. I am impressed that they are made of steel and unlike most of the crash bars out there actually attach to structural parts of the frame. In Yamaha's literature they talk about frame development and being able to lighten the front down bars because they are non structural part of the frame, doesn't sound like the place I want to attach crash bars, but that's exactly where most aftermarket crash bars mount.    

• Like 3

I don´t know if you know what happend to the top engine with the oem bars to a italian T7

Edited by Lupan

• Moderators

Anyone who hasn't purchased a skid plate yet should be on the look out for when Black Dog Cycle Works releases theirs.

Riding footage: www.instagram.com/beefmoto

Message me if you are close - let's go riding!

• Moderators
1 hour ago, UtahJack said:

Got my AXP skidplate mounted.

Very impressed with how well the lines and angles match and compliment the Yamaha crash bars, obviously they had these in mind when they developed the skidplate. You can see in the pictures that I did modify the skid plate where it protected the water pump, I have heard of it interfering with your boot during braking. I did add a TripleClamp water pump protection and the skid plate does slightly overlap this.

Also had to do slight modification on skidplate for the Yamaha center stand, this did get rid of most of the protection for the side stand switch, but at the same time I installed the bypass for the side stand switch so that really wasn't a concern.

On installation of the AXP skidplate, if you have the center stand already on the bike you will have to remove all the mounting bolts for the center stand on the left side and the loosen the pivot bolt on the center stand in order to add the additional mounting bracket for the AXP skidplate. Once the mounting bracket is installed you can easily reattach the left side of the center stand before mounting the skidplate.

skidplate.thumb.jpg.20d4ddf04248406fafd133df94033b74.jpg

skidplate2.thumb.jpg.6536ac784346aa93e564a725923b5594.jpg

One side note on the Yamaha crash bars, ordered a set for my wife's bike, now I haven't weighed the bars individually but I noticed the shipping weight was 14 lbs. so it is safe to say they weight around 13lbs. I am impressed that they are made of steel and unlike most of the crash bars out there actually attach to structural parts of the frame. In Yamaha's literature they talk about frame development and being able to lighten the front down bars because they are non structural part of the frame, doesn't sound like the place I want to attach crash bars, but that's exactly where most aftermarket crash bars mount.    

Hepco & Becker Upper Crash Bars & Adventure Spec Crash Bars use the same side mounting points as the OEM bars, but tie in under the headlight to prevent them folding inwards like this. 

dmg1.png.5d4edbbb7a9ca70b77d051be1ac5d680.pngdmg2.jpeg.15800337ce46651c0c636e6cfe0d5377.jpeg

I couldn't agree more than using the front rails as a mounting point would be asking for trouble for sure. Which bars are using those bars as their mounting point?

Riding footage: www.instagram.com/beefmoto

Message me if you are close - let's go riding!

32 minutes ago, tenerecanada said:

Anyone who hasn't purchased a skid plate yet should be on the look out for when Black Dog Cycle Works releases theirs.

They do make one tough skidplate, maybe the toughest, definitely the heavyset. I don't totally agree with those that say the weight doesn't matter because it is so low. True being low means the added weight will not have an adverse affect on the handling. But over all weight has an effect on power to weight, which effects performance in many situations.  

• Like 3

I got my AXP skid plate mounted too.  Maybe it's my imagination, but it seems like the steering is not quite as solid at speed (60+mph) as before.   Like there's a bit of lift.   Anybody notice anything like that?

4 hours ago, papab said:

I got my AXP skid plate mounted too.  Maybe it's my imagination, but it seems like the steering is not quite as solid at speed (60+mph) as before.   Like there's a bit of lift.   Anybody notice anything like that?

I had a couple of runs today somewhere around 95 mph didn't notice anything.

On 7/25/2020 at 9:22 PM, DT675 said:

What about with the stock skid plate? 

On 7/25/2020 at 10:55 PM, Louis said:

Yamaha calls it a cowl. For good reason! 

116879992_737179653787712_4293329752676471292_o.jpg

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, REDHORSECA said:

116879992_737179653787712_4293329752676471292_o.jpg

That WILL rub out............with a rubber mallet.

• Haha 2

I’m thinking of making my own skid plate out of fibreglass and carbon. Use the existing bash plate as a mould and extend the sides with foam and carboard  lay it up on the outside overlap the glass in the middle finish with a nice layer of red carbon  should be light and strong and look good.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

does anybody have this one? 

GPMucci-logo.png

Vai alla pagina in italiano INTRODUCTION Ciao! Here you can find all the information about my Yamaha Ténéré 700 skid plate. At the bottom of the page is included the contact form in case you want to buy one or receive more information about it. How the skid plate was born.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

The GpMucci skid looks interesting,  but strange there aren't more detailed pictures of the linkage protection.  You can see the extension tab in that area, but I couldn't manipulate the pics to enlarge them for more detail.  Might be a mobile tablet thing, but for that kind of coin, they really should provide better detailed photographs ( which I've requested they add to their website).

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Just in stalled my new ACD skid plate! Very nice! Shipped for 189.00!

20200911_162824.jpg

• Like 1

Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,for there you have been, and there you will long to return!

On 8/6/2020 at 1:22 AM, loneranger700 said:

Not sure if posted yet, but apparently this thing might be something soon. From the ADV forums.

spacer.png

Looks interesting. 

GPMucci-logo.png

Vai alla pagina in italiano INTRODUCTION Ciao! Here you can find all the information about my Yamaha Ténéré 700 skid plate. At the bottom of the page is included the contact form in case you want to buy one or receive more information about it. How the skid plate...

^ looks too much like heater duct work for my liking

I'm rather surprised no one in the US has brought up the Tusk Quiet Glide plate.  It looks quite nice, has linkage protection, and is $189.

I actually would almost prefer just an aluminum version without the plastic / UHMW / derlin or whatever.

tus_21_qui_gli_adv_ski_pla-1975340002-6.

The Tusk Quiet-Glide Adventure Skid Plate is constructed using 3/16” thick aluminum shaped to offer ultimate coverage. The aluminum is coupled with a ¼” UHMW overlay installed on the surface for absolute maximum engine and frame protection for the underside of your bike. The UHMW overlay allows your bike to glide over obstacles instead of getting hung up like...

There's a thread on it in 'parts and accessories' but it hasn't taken off:

"How rare that we can point ourselves inevitably west and go, go, go. Run out the highway and the hills. Slide our fingertips over the creases and the valleys of the impossibility that is America. You can’t grasp its vastness from a plane. It’s diversity from a map. You have to put your feet on the ground. Your hands in the dirt."   -   Zach Bowman

15 hours ago, Filip DM said:

Looks interesting. 

GPMucci-logo.png

Vai alla pagina in italiano INTRODUCTION Ciao! Here you can find all the information about my Yamaha Ténéré 700 skid plate. At the bottom of the page is included the contact form in case you want to buy one or receive more information about it. How the skid plate...

image.thumb.png.5f6a56b0e84e8ecf5d7aa30cabe99c28.png

Yo, that bike is f*cking wild.

Edited by loneranger700

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2020 at 12:59 AM, bikeever said:

For me the Yamaha Skid-Plate was first choice. I had the chance to get the Plate and the Box second hand but nearly unused. Very happy with that. As you said, fits perfect to the lines of the bike. 

Would you know the weight of this OEM skid place by chance?

On 9/25/2020 at 10:26 PM, Felipe C said:

Would you know the weight of this OEM skid place by chance?

No, sorry. Didn’t put it on a scale. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just installed the AXP Plate a few days ago. Mostly fit well, looks good and offers a great deal of coverage. I like the idea of a plastic skid plate for all the advantages however there are issues I have with this one. I immediately noticed the tab over the water pump cover was pressing quite firmly up against it on the edge of the tab. Also, the angle seemed pretty extreme.  I loosened everything and tried to pull it over and it was still touching. At the very least engine vibration will rub the finish off the contact point and likely wear some of the metal down. At worst of course a hole could develop, not sure how likely this would be. I contacted AXP and their reply was this which I found somewhat lacking if not concerning:

The fact that the skid plate is touching the water pump is normal. We had no choice as the brake paddle is close from the pump.

So if we openned more the angle to create a space between the skid plate and the water pump, you would have hit the skid plate with your foot.

No problem on this point, we already sold hundreds units of this model and no one complained about it.

You can rider safe

Another thing that I didn’t like was the mounting of the bracket in the rear using the holes in plates that connect the linkage mount to the frame. The bracket is a loose fit in that space and inserting and tightening a bolt there would have the net effect of squeezing those plates harder against the linkage. It might have just been my imagination but I seemed to notice less compliance on wash boards than I had beforeI installed this, like there was a slight stiction issue, again though not really sure.

BE84D381-FCEE-47FE-8928-EB0DA4346EDB.jpeg