Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tenere 700 - Skid Plates

tenerecanada

@IdahoRider

I trimmed the section back that was over the water pump, didn't want it catching on my boot. I did add a TripleClamp water pump cover.

Where the AXP Skid plate contacts the pump cover and side case on the opposite side I put a small piece of foam tape between and that seemed to work well.

@OU812

I would like to have seen what he hit with on, after all they are called skid plates as opposed to bash plates.

But I do agree that rear mount needs to be larger to distribute any impact over a greater area. So far mine seems to be holding up nicely but than again I have not subjected it to any hard impacts but it does slide really nicely over trees and rock alike, at least it has held up much better than the stock one did.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, UtahJack said:

@OU812

I would like to have seen what he hit with on, after all they are called skid plates as opposed to bash plates.

But I do agree that rear mount needs to be larger to distribute any impact over a greater area. So far mine seems to be holding up nicely but than again I have not subjected it to any hard impacts but it does slide really nicely over trees and rock alike, at least it has held up much better than the stock one did.

For sure, I do think it's a good skid, easily fixed/modded with a Torch and a Butter knife! 😁

• Like 1

I don't find the water pump protection piece interfering with my boot at all.   I'm not concerned about the contact wearing out the aluminum either, but I suppose it's something to keep an eye on.

Another option for the T700 from GP Mucci.

• 5mm aluminum bottom.
  • 3mm top and sides.
  • Shock linkage deflector.
  • Future tool box option.

GpMucci-Paracoppa-Skid-Plate-Yamaha-Ténéré-700-22.jpg

GpMucci-Paracoppa-Skid-Plate-Yamaha-Ténéré-700.jpg

GpMucci-Paracoppa-Skid-Plate-Yamaha-Ténéré-700-6.jpg

GpMucci-Paracoppa-Skid-Plate-Yamaha-Ténéré-700-7.jpg

MUCCI_LOGO_alluminio-bordo-nero-copia-1.

Vai alla pagina in italiano INTRODUCTION Ciao! Here you can find all the information about my Yamaha Ténéré 700 skid plate. At the bottom of the page is included the contact form in case you want to buy one or receive more information about it. How the skid plate...

INSTALL VIDEO:

• Like 2

On 10/12/2020 at 1:44 PM, UtahJack said:

@IdahoRider

I trimmed the section back that was over the water pump, didn't want it catching on my boot. I did add a TripleClamp water pump cover.

Where the AXP Skid plate contacts the pump cover and side case on the opposite side I put a small piece of foam tape between and that seemed to work well.

I left the water pump cover piece on.   It don't even notice it. 

• 1 month later...

just an FYI on skid plates. When I had my S10 and went to a meet up in Ouray CO, I had the cheapo OEM skid plate that everyone bashed (pun intended). I did nail a huge rock on it, dented it almost to the engine (from the bottom). But it did it's job.

On the other hand, there was a guy there with, I believe an Altrider massive skid plate. He was riding along, front tire kicked up a rock, hit it right were it mounts to the engine, put a hole in it and it drained his oil. Had to be towed out.

Just sayin, just because it's big and expensive, doesn't mean it's full proof.

• Like 2

Yeah you need to watch the designs.  I crushed an alt rider skid plate with my super Tenere, picked a bad line dropped off a ledge skid caught the edge. Couldn’t blip the throttle or anything to stay level bc there was a cliff straight ahead ad a left turn you had to take immediately. Skid was crushed but protected the engine.

i then got a T. rex racing skid plate, all frame mounted, super durable,  it wired design around the oil filter. It some other rock on a challenging rocky route, must have shifted the skid. Next day I am leaking oil, the oil filter was rubbing on the plate. 

just because it’s heavy and frame mounted doesn’t matter. One thing I liked about the camel plate was Corey designed it so the bolt pattern for the plastics is around the sump, so if it gets crushed, nothing will perforate you sump. Can tell it was designed by someone who has been there, done that.

Btw I ended up with the camel plate for that reason, you can talk to the guy who made it, designed it, and rides with it, and is happy to explain his thought process. 

Mike

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Yeap. I appreciate your points 👍

I was just wondering about that CP bashplate, because I haven't found any comments about it's design or picture on a T7, and it says on the seller's webpage that it would enven protect the waterpump. Love the camel one, but it's a fortune to get one in Europe...

On 2/13/2020 at 9:47 AM, Totti said:

Looks very much alike the CP bash plate I ordered from Off-The-Road.

I will provide pictures as soon as I get it installed. Hopefully this weekend.

Totti, haven't found your pictures on that plate. Are you happy with it?

• Moderators
7 hours ago, raoulj said:

Totti, haven't found your pictures on that plate. Are you happy with it?

@raoulj. If you put @ in front of the user name, they'll be notified of the post which will likely get you a response much quicker. 

@Totti

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

21 minutes ago, AZJW said:

@raoulj. If you put @ in front of the user name, they'll be notified of the post which will likely get you a response much quicker. 

@Totti

Thanks 🙂

• Like 1

On 10/12/2020 at 4:09 PM, OU812 said:

Adrian didn't have much luck with the AXP or did he...

It looks like it did a great job protecting his linkage. If everything is unbreakable, where does the energy go? Besides, this is a 500lb motorcycle. It's not meant for lug jumping and rock gardens. 

• Like 3

On 10/12/2020 at 11:09 PM, OU812 said:

Adrian didn't have much luck with the AXP or did he...

Maybe he should get a real dirt bike..?

"Eternally, unavoidably, eventually, all paths will lead to the cemetery." Sentenced

On 10/18/2020 at 3:11 AM, REDHORSECA said:

Another option for the T700 from GP Mucci.

• 5mm aluminum bottom.
  • 3mm top and sides.
  • Shock linkage deflector.
  • Future tool box option.

GpMucci-Paracoppa-Skid-Plate-Yamaha-Ténéré-700-22.jpg

Does anybody else find this just terribly ugly? Or is it just me?

• Like 3

"Eternally, unavoidably, eventually, all paths will lead to the cemetery." Sentenced

@raoulj

Sorry if I forgot the pictures. Don't visit here that often anymore. Here are some pictures for You.

I am very happy with this skid plate. It mounts the original mounting points. Quite light, the weight was about 2 kg. ( I if remember correctly ).

It does not offer any protection to the much discussed ridiculous water pump or linkage issues.

EDIT_20200306_162844.thumb.jpg.4338258e1f1fd4344690ef1dd1717597.jpgEDIT_20200221_123239.thumb.jpg.536a2cddaae05220307b0f629af8cbee.jpgEDIT_20200221_123126.thumb.jpg.0cb4488006d84c91b33b650242abaae1.jpg

@Totti Thanks a lot for the feedback and pictures. Next to giving an impression of being simple and robust, I like the price and especially the fact that it seems to have plenty of holes enabling the ventilation. So, I guess that it will be my choice (unless I find a good second hand one before end of winter).

I must say you have waken up my interest by calling the much discussed water pump and linkage issue a ridiculous one. Why that?

23 hours ago, raoulj said:

@Totti 

I must say you have waken up my interest by calling the much discussed water pump and linkage issue a ridiculous one. Why that?

When You sit on the bike the much discussed linkage sits higher than the skid plate. So it's hidden.

When driving it moves up and down and may sometimes be exposed to the small rocks from the front wheel.

But these won't do any damage. Ok, some cosmetically damage maybe, but this is not a bike shown around ice-cream kiosks. Scratches and bruises are part of the game. Funny how some have the idea that an adventure bike should always look shiny and new. The most of us rarely go over rocks and logs. And when we do, we do it at very slow speeds. So no big hits there either.

The water pump. How many broken are there after the first years or two?

I think that when you tip the bike over, the handle bars hit the ground first, then the crash bars. The pump won't even touch the ground. If there happened to be a rock just under it, it is just bad luck.

These aftermarket companies are there to make profit. The best salesman for them are the scary images they sell us.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Totti said:

When You sit on the bike the much discussed linkage sits higher than the skid plate. So it's hidden.

When driving it moves up and down and may sometimes be exposed to the small rocks from the front wheel.

But these won't do any damage. Ok, some cosmetically damage maybe, but this is not a bike shown around ice-cream kiosks. Scratches and bruises are part of the game. Funny how some have the idea that an adventure bike should always look shiny and new. The most of us rarely go over rocks and logs. And when we do, we do it at very slow speeds. So no big hits there either.

The water pump. How many broken are there after the first years or two?

I think that when you tip the bike over, the handle bars hit the ground first, then the crash bars. The pump won't even touch the ground. If there happened to be a rock just under it, it is just bad luck.

These aftermarket companies are there to make profit. The best salesman for them are the scary images they sell us.

I haven't received my T7 yet but I'm researching upgrade options - one being skid plates.  You make a solid point about  how most of these bikes will be used.

Mine will be used to ride the TAT and many sections do have large rocks where the skid plate design - protecting the linkage, water pump, etc. is important.

Thus, I'm torn between the metal options along with the plastic.  Linkage protection is a must for my intended ride.

On 12/10/2020 at 3:48 AM, Totti said:

Maybe he should get a real dirt bike..?

But the Tenere is a real Dirt Bike.. you don't play in the dirt or it's too big for you?