Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Will the Ténéré 700 have a different airbox than the MT-07?

Cruizin

I don't trust paper air filters when riding in dirt. Especially when riding with other people, dust gets kicked up something fierce in our dry summer climate and the engine is sucking a lot of dust into the filters. On a dirtbike, change in new freshly oiled filters before each ride. 

Here is the FZ/MT-07 airbox/filter/snorkel design (same CP-2 engine). 

On the MT/FZ , one can get to the snorkle by removing the seat.  (no tank removal needed). 

8w8Z4bE.thumb.jpg.a4ab391be878548ba1af9114fa4e58e9.jpg

LXMf4cP.thumb.jpg.f5370dc03493b8a49eeb541173ccef88.jpg

ZE4h92F.jpg.8e280e1bbced2135b14e3d3d25ccfa7c.jpgMVbLIeU.jpg.43f793a190fe54aec17089a6d2477cc6.jpg9MTDVPY.thumb.jpg.b7816427a7f486f5da845be0951c42f1.jpg

2 hours ago, TavisB said:

Paper filter on my 950 has done just fine. Not worried a bit about that.

Dirtbikes come with Foam filters for a reason.  I ride a lot of dusty roads and trails that a paper filter would get clogged up in. 

I add a bead of biodegradable grease on the bottom of my foam dirtbike filters to ensure a good seal so that dirt doesn't enter my engine. It doesnt take much dirt to scarr up a cylinder and drop power/compression. The engine might still last a long time, but with less power. 

If you dont ride a lot of dirt and dont ride in dry dusty areas a lot, then I wouldn't worry about it.  But for me, I'll be looking for a good oiled filter option or will create one myself. 

• 5 months later...
On 10/25/2018 at 8:41 AM, Cruizin said:

Dirtbikes come with Foam filters for a reason.  I ride a lot of dusty roads and trails that a paper filter would.........

The simple solution is, when it's dry and dusty to only ride on your own, or stay in front of the pack!

On a serious note though you do pose a potential problem for T7 users in the future. I wonder, if the T7 airbox is of similar size to the MT07 one shown above, if a foam filter small enough to fit the box would breath enough for the engine to run properly? You would think Yamaha would be onto this as they design the bike and it would have a large box and foam options? Well, you would hope so???

Cruizin, do you have any experience with tractors? Since moving away from the city 8 years ago and riding much less I have bought a tractor which I use quiet a bit on my small farm, and have done some servicing on it myself. Of course tractors potentially work in dustier conditions that trail bikes and diesel engines don't work well unless the fuel and air are both very clean indeed. My tractor has two paper filters for the engines intake. A smaller one that fits inside a larger one. The intent is to blow dust our of the external one with a compressor and replace the inside one, both of which I have done. Of course i'm leading to this train of thought possibly being used on a bike but the  main obstacles being space and weight, and for a tractor extra weight can often be an advantage but we all want our bikes to be as light as reasonably possible, well I certainly do, and there isn't a lot of room inside a bike. 

Just a thought,

Shane 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, shaneygrog said:

The simple solution is, when it's dry and dusty to only ride on your own, or stay in front of the pack!

On a serious note though you do pose a potential problem for T7 users in the future. I wonder, if the T7 airbox is of similar size to the MT07 one shown above, if a foam filter small enough to fit the box would breath enough for the engine to run properly? You would think Yamaha would be onto this as they design the bike and it would have a large box and foam options? Well, you would hope so???

Cruizin, do you have any experience with tractors? Since moving away from the city 8 years ago and riding much less I have bought a tractor which I use quiet a bit on my small farm, and have done some servicing on it myself. Of course tractors potentially work in dustier conditions that trail bikes and diesel engines don't work well unless the fuel and air are both very clean indeed. My tractor has two paper filters for the engines intake. A smaller one that fits inside a larger one. The intent is to blow dust our of the external one with a compressor and replace the inside one, both of which I have done. Of course i'm leading to this train of thought possibly being used on a bike but the  main obstacles being space and weight, and for a tractor extra weight can often be an advantage but we all want our bikes to be as light as reasonably possible, well I certainly do, and there isn't a lot of room inside a bike. 

Just a thought,

Shane 

I have zero experience with tractors. Im sure someone will make some air filter options for the T7. Heck, maybe I will? 

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...

I have no issue with a paper filter just as long as I don't have to take half the bike apart to change it.   I like the tiger 800 a lot but did not buy one because of one issue and that was the amount of work required just to do a routing task of an air filter change.   A maintenance task has got to be fast and inexpensive.   Take a bike to a dealer to change an air filter, get serious.   I hope the T700 does not go down this path.   If it does I will give up and keep my slow 35 year old KLR 650.  It might be a pig but it's easy to work on it. 

• 1 year later...