Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Replacing the Radiator protector.

Allen Kelly

I have just spent a bit of time this morning replacing the plastic Radiator protector with a metal mesh one. For Australia with our variety of bugs it is essential. With care it is a fairly simple job and all the tools you need are in the bike tool kit if you don’t have better.

You will notice in the first 2 diagram sheets that is tells you to only remove the bottom screw from the outer plastics, I would advise you to remove the plastic altogether it is simple and makes the job so much easier.

IMG_1269.JPG

IMG_1270.JPG

IMG_1271.JPG

IMG_1265.1.jpg

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Another option, I recently installed a "Radguard" brand guard. I had a good look at the Yamaha accessory guard, but I thought it was built too weak! Well made, good for keeping the bugs and small stones out, but not good for much else in my opinion. This guard utilized the original grill, it was attached in front of it. Two brackets are used behind the grill to held in place with 4 bolts.

The mesh and outside frame is more robust than the Yamaha mesh, also the original grill can act as a crumple zone for a larger impact. The Yamaha one was a close fit toward the radiator,  I doubt it will protect a big impact. 

To install, the removal of the side plastics and grill is required. 

20200406_141833.jpg

20200406_141250.jpg

20200406_143047.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 months later...
On 4/14/2020 at 5:05 PM, Louis said:

Another option, I recently installed a "Radguard" brand guard. I had a good look at the Yamaha accessory guard, but I thought it was built too weak! Well made, good for keeping the bugs and small stones out, but not good for much else in my opinion. This guard utilized the original grill, it was attached in front of it. Two brackets are used behind the grill to held in place with 4 bolts.

The mesh and outside frame is more robust than the Yamaha mesh, also the original grill can act as a crumple zone for a larger impact. The Yamaha one was a close fit toward the radiator,  I doubt it will protect a big impact. 

To install, the removal of the side plastics and grill is required. 

20200406_141833.jpg

20200406_141250.jpg

20200406_143047.jpg

Hi Louis, I have had Radguard on all my previous bikes but they hadn’t had any made when I got my T7 and had no concept of how long they would be before they would be available. As yet the Yamaha one has done the job but I like the look of yours. Cheers mate.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Does anyone know these plastic parts neame and where can I will buy? Merked red ring 

57E22CF3-8BA8-4CD4-80CE-182269864463.jpeg.5e8f51fbe064ab2592e2879b04b9b808.jpeg