Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

My T7 Doesn’t Trigger some Traffic Light Sensors

Noel McCutcheon

• Premium Member

Ok, you know the type of semi intelligent road embedded sensors that detect vehicles arriving at traffic lights or auto lift barriers to active them, well when on the T7 some barriers don’t lift up and at some traffic lights the bike is not detected. All my other bikes do active my work place barrier access and local road traffic lights but not so when on the T7.

I think the cause is the T7 high ground clearance, high mounted engine and lack of cast iron mass lol. Hope it is not N.Irish road tech but as said other bikes are ok.

I’ve to ride round The barrier or wait until  a car comes up behind / along side me at some traffic lights.

Anyone else notice or experience this ??

• Moderators

I always had trouble tripping the sensor until I started rolling onto the 'pads' really slow, at a crawl. I would nearly come to a complete stop before the 'pad' starts, the just clutch out to the stop line. I'm not sure if it just gave the sensor more time to do its thing, but it seemed to work. This was also on a steel framed high clearance bike.

• Like 1

Riding footage: www.instagram.com/beefmoto

Message me if you are close - let's go riding!

I have the same problem with my 660 at a parking in the city where I rent a spot, each single time I have to call and have them open it.. I always figured it was problem for their cameras to read a foreign license plate. Now that I read your case I realise it may well be the bike. Luckily when riding out I can go around the barrier. Anyway, don't have a solution or anything but just thought I'd share..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

we have the same problem on this side of the pond.

My “favorite” was when New York State Department Of Transportation put a signal light 50 yards up the road from the local Suzuki shop.

Damn thing was not on A timer and would not change unless it “saw” traffic on the side road. I made a habit of running the red light on the way to work each morning. Never got a ticket but the judge would of heard about it if I had!

Yeah, happens to me on the regular at a set of traffic lights near to my home. I usually end up having to trickle through on a red if no cars are around to trigger the lights for me!

I'd like to think that the police would use their discretion and understand the issue. I just make sure to be extra careful, which is wise for  self-preservation anyway. 

I wonder if the enforcement cameras often found on lights are so insensitive. Somethings telling me they are 100% effective!

• Confused 1

Even my old cruiser does it from time to time.

so I don't think ground clearance affects too much.

i just strap a magnet on the bottom which makes it better 

Edited by TimmyTheHog
  • Thanks 1

Have the same problem in Australia on my XT660 only some traffic lights wont trip I have to wait for a car to pull up and I move forward enough for them to trip the lights. Car parks are a huge pain as they have all now got number plate recognition sensors and we don’t have front plates. So we drive around them.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Thanks all. I’ll not be strapping any metal plates to my boots then 😆. Magnet on bottom of bike sounds interesting; wonder are some roads sensors using induction or what.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

They are certainly not weight activated. ☺️.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/15/2020 at 1:27 PM, X Plane said:

Ok, you know the type of semi intelligent road embedded sensors that detect vehicles arriving at traffic lights or auto lift barriers to active them, well when on the T7 some barriers don’t lift up and at some traffic lights the bike is not detected. All my other bikes do active my work place barrier access and local road traffic lights but not so when on the T7.

I think the cause is the T7 high ground clearance, high mounted engine and lack of cast iron mass lol. Hope it is not N.Irish road tech but as said other bikes are ok.

I’ve to ride round The barrier or wait until  a car comes up behind / along side me at some traffic lights.

Anyone else notice or experience this ??

Hi, i have the same problem in Sweden were i live, somtimes i get sick of waiting for cars, so i just drive away.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1