Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Removing dB-Eater at Tenere 700 Acrapovic Exhaust

bikeever

Today's task: remove the dB eater.

I used 5, 10 and 12mm drills and worked out the rest for the 13mm hole with the Dremel.

Don't lose your mind if the hole is not perfectly centered. The rubber stopper covers 16 mm and needs a bore of at least 13 mm.

The tape with the exact diameter (13mm) is stuck in the right position to rework with the Dremel.

To loosen the dB-Eater, wiggle it a bit with a spanner.

IMG_2119.thumb.jpg.b23607d2bb32612cd9baf95c806283ba.jpg

IMG_2129.thumb.jpg.9e61fbcedeb255ac8ae61b20c6139ece.jpg

IMG_E2120.thumb.jpg.370e05036dd9dd3bc5a140166f13ecce.jpg

IMG_2122.thumb.jpg.7745da7daa063496c69c0028e3bb6374.jpg

IMG_2124.thumb.jpg.b308ac8d71a6b21821f77665a5c3ed9b.jpg

IMG_2128.thumb.jpg.d459bce869b516a64b4ac0eab600edc9.jpg

IMG_2127.thumb.jpg.f248dcb1c32041490040ab9da14a3abc.jpg

IMG_2126.thumb.jpg.252d1f6f11002f5815e24008f8acb310.jpg

• Like 7

• 3 months later...

Awesome job 👍🏼

Any ideas for a exhaust protector for the akra ? 👍🏼

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hi, there.

How wide is the rear section where you took the DB? 11cm?

Thanks

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

hi, i have drilled and removed the nut but the db killer will not budge! I have hit, forced bent and screamed at it. What could be my next step? Remove rivets and try it that way? Can anyone help please.

hi, i have drilled and removed the nut but the db killer will not budge! I have hit, forced bent and screamed at it. What could be my next step? Remove rivets and try it that way? Can anyone help please.

Ok, finally got it sorted by popping rivets and hitting it from rear. Just ordered new rivets to close up. What a relief!!!!!!!

• Like 1

On 8/16/2020 at 12:04 AM, FredBasset said:

Bikeever where did you get the rubber bung from?

From the local Yamaha Dealer. He's an official Acrapovic Distributor.

On 8/15/2020 at 9:07 PM, Phil64 said:

Could be a bit harder do pull or wiggle the DB-Eater out when you used the exhaust for a while. I removed it when it was nearly unused. The only way out is backwards. Bending will not work. Try to make a hook and pull it out when wiggling is not enough. For reinstall I use a thin layer of copper or ceramic paste.

• 3 weeks later...

Just curious to how much louder you found it with the dB killer out. Fancy having more sound but don't want it to drone on on long runs. 

Also is it possible to just drill out rivets and take off end cap to get to it and re rivet for a stock look? 

Hi, it is a lot louder but it's the popping on decel that i find annoying. I have decided to put it back in. However to answer the question re removal, I could not move it so I removed rivets and pushed it out from the back being careful not to damage the pipe. But first follow the method as described on this topic by drilling and pulling out. Hope this helps.

Phil

No one can tell me how large is the exhaust at the end cap? From left to right, consider the midle of the hole were you took the dB kilker...

• 2 months later...

Got the baffle out following these instructions - thank you so much - Used a dent repair tool and it came out first hit 🙂
Such a mean sound!

s-l400.jpg

1 plate edge puller. Ideal tool set for Do-It-Yourself car body dent repairs. 1 pierce punch. Made with high strength carbon steel for maximum durability. Finger grip handle for sure grip, easy to operate.

Edited by PommeyBiker
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/15/2020 at 5:29 PM, bikeever said:

Today's task: remove the dB eater.

I used 5, 10 and 12mm drills and worked out the rest for the 13mm hole with the Dremel.

Don't lose your mind if the hole is not perfectly centered. The rubber stopper covers 16 mm and needs a bore of at least 13 mm.

The tape with the exact diameter (13mm) is stuck in the right position to rework with the Dremel.

To loosen the dB-Eater, wiggle it a bit with a spanner.

IMG_2119.thumb.jpg.b23607d2bb32612cd9baf95c806283ba.jpg

IMG_2129.thumb.jpg.9e61fbcedeb255ac8ae61b20c6139ece.jpg

IMG_E2120.thumb.jpg.370e05036dd9dd3bc5a140166f13ecce.jpg

IMG_2122.thumb.jpg.7745da7daa063496c69c0028e3bb6374.jpg

IMG_2124.thumb.jpg.b308ac8d71a6b21821f77665a5c3ed9b.jpg

IMG_2128.thumb.jpg.d459bce869b516a64b4ac0eab600edc9.jpg

IMG_2127.thumb.jpg.f248dcb1c32041490040ab9da14a3abc.jpg

IMG_2126.thumb.jpg.252d1f6f11002f5815e24008f8acb310.jpg

Thanks for the instructions. Did it on Friday in no time at all. Sounds fantastic 😃😃

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

looking damn forward to doing this to mine 😛

hopefully this is applicable to the 2021 rally which is soon to arrive at my dealer and after into my garage. 

it is euro 5 though, hope they didn't actually weld it in? my dealer was saying something like that but I'm not sure... seems like this could work.

awesome instructions though

Hi guyzz

my exhaust has 3 fixing point if you look at it frow behind....also yours?!?

is really fixed only from one ?the one down?

image.jpg

Edited by Manet444

I am not sure removing the DB killer is good for engine health, at least without remap. Here is a graph of MT07 (well same Cp2 engine) with and without DB killer. You gain 1-2hp more but in return you get bad fuel-air ratio. I also removed the DB killer once and after a few rides I've realized engine and exhaust got warmer compared to with DB killer in.

MT-07 Dyno.jpg

2 hours ago, Takata said:

I am not sure removing the DB killer is good for engine health, at least without remap. Here is a graph of MT07 (well same Cp2 engine) with and without DB killer. You gain 1-2hp more but in return you get bad fuel-air ratio. I also removed the DB killer once and after a few rides I've realized engine and exhaust got warmer compared to with DB killer in.

Interesting, one would think the opposite would happen.... I wonder after remap?

after putting in a   De-cat + removing DB killer + remap   I would imagine the engine would/could/should run cooler though?

only pseudo scientific thing that comes to mind is that it runs leaner and therefor runs hotter?  its weird though that by removing only the db killer it could have such noticeable impact.. 

28 minutes ago, HugoB said:

Interesting, one would think the opposite would happen.... I wonder after remap?

after putting in a   De-cat + removing DB killer + remap   I would imagine the engine would/could/should run cooler though?

only pseudo scientific thing that comes to mind is that it runs leaner and therefor runs hotter?  its weird though that by removing only the db killer it could have such noticeable impact.. 

I agree, not many riders know this fact but I've done some research and it lead me to this information with multiple proofs and documentation.  I am pretty sure remap will solve the problem, maybe even there is a way to adjust air-fuel ratio without remap. I asked my Yamaha service to play with co2 sensors a bit because I found the engine brake too hard, he played a bit and perfect result in 5 minutes. Also fixed the jerky throttle feeling quite a bit.

I believe yes lean engine becomes hotter.

no DB and remap is something I will definitely do but I will keep the cat in order to be not super loud and be eco friendly 🙂

My Yamaha dealer told me there is an Acropovic no-cat header available and a widget to re-map the fueling. Maybe this can also mitigate against the leaner result of taking the db-killer out?

I find the acrpovic disappointingly quiet so am interested in all of the above.

Above kit is expensive though...

On 2/4/2021 at 5:25 PM, Manet444 said:

Someone sure about there s only one bolt (one with arrow) and not 3 ?!?

i don t want to drill and learn it was usefull....

thanks to all

18858C5C-1C1D-4B9E-B009-279431BCB4BE.jpeg

Definitely Just the one bolt👍 

Follow Bikever's instructions and you will not go wrong 👍