Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Anyone here actually plan on taking your T7 offroad?

Cruizin

4 minutes ago, REDHORSECA said:

Join the SOCAL Club section here on this forum.  The Geico Camp and Ride Rally that was supposed to happen that week got canceled for Covid. But the eight of us continued on for our own ride. I'll try to remember to include you on any ride we may go on.

thx.  i did join that group.  still getting used to how the threads read.  i need to check that section more often.  do u have a fb group also?

Yup definitely plan on taking my T7 off road, this hill climb is big enough that i know guys on dirt bikes that wont do it. The T7 made it a cake walk. Even stopped in the middle for a pic.  I wasn't trying to do this hill climb cause i was out in the woods by myself but the T7 makes me do stupid things. Also my new tire choice made this bike a whole new animal off road. Bridgestone adventurecross Ax41 tires are amazing off road and damn good on road. 

20201112_094802.jpg

20201112_085744.jpg

• Like 4

Years of wasted time on an XR650R - But? I can kickstart anything now.
lots of Single and MX Track on my KTMs  300, 350, 525

a few years back Ranger Mike at Metcalf OHV park asked me to stay of the MX track, as guys did not like seeing me fly my Super10 off doubles.  Apparently the full luggage and not-polished frame was offending some of 'em

the T700 SEEMS like that midground, between S10 and Ktm350
too big for MX Track
a touch too big for single track, but do-able
Perfect for dual sport and desert rides.
Maybe too heavy for Baja in anger, but just about right for Baja - calmly

And more capable than the Super10 if you get into the small tight twistey stuff.

Riding the Ktm 350 on dual sport rides worked - but always felt like I was wringing its neck to keep up on the beautiful nor cal highway stretches.

I pickup the T7 tomorrow (if the dealer has it) - and will break in mostly on road.
Farkles have been ordering -  
still want to sort out:
-tires (motoZ?  Heidenau? what)

-exhaust - full system, end can, what
- luggage (leaning to Rally Raid - if they get em in stock)

- lights - probably PIAA

• Like 3

XR...now you're talking. I had an XR600R twin carb 1985 with SuperTrapp and HRC goodies. Happy days (Apart from the brakes....).

Think you'll enjoy the T7.

I've got Arrow Ti headers mated to an MTC carbon can. But any after market silencer will fit.

Tyres. Depends what you want. I have two sets of wheels so I can do off road properly. Got them from Rally Raid.

Enjoy. I think you'll like it. One of the best balanced off road machines I have ridden especially standing up.

Rich

42 minutes ago, Rich TT said:

XR...now you're talking.

turned it into a sumoto - and ran the AFM's last ever Endurance Race at Sears Point in 2005.  
4 fat old men on a dirtbike  - against 45 other teams on super cool roadrace bikes from 250-1200cc

(we had good pit tootsies that year)

finished 6th overall - meaning about 38 other teams should have packed up their bikes, gone home and sold them on craigslist, taken up a new hobby  🙂  

after that race - back to dirt form, and into the Mojave desert to really hone in some dirtbike skillz.

At this age?  (harmless old man) - Dual Sport Rides will be fun.

0505B_7308.JPG

AFMRace.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I just ordered a Wings Exhaust for my T7. Really liked the build quality, sound and price. It is titanium. 468 bucks shipped to the US. Very fast shipping BTW. 

Probably order a header next.

photos.svg

Wings titanium exhaust with real carbon fibre end cap and heat shield for YAMAHA TENERE 700 -premium product in terms of design, function and materials - EU

On 6/22/2020 at 10:18 AM, T7-Dave said:

I got mine knowing that my days of real off-road are gone.

None of my business, but why would your off road days be "gone" ?

20 minutes ago, ADV Newbie said:

None of my business, but why would your off road days be "gone" ?

Not off-road all together, just serious stuff. I tend to hurt myself a lot and don't feel like wrecking my Tenere. If I hadn't just bought a 2021 Grizzly 700 SE, I might have got a proper dirtbike to go into the woods with. So my T7 is mostly for road / hooning, mixed with some easy off roading.

FWIW, you'll hurt yourself on a quad way more than a dirt bike.  Wanna have fun and stay safe ?  Get a YZ250FX.  Fantastic fun or serious bike.

• Like 1

On 6/18/2020 at 1:40 PM, CGras said:

Going offroad is actually illegal where i live.

Mental note:  Do not move to Luxembourg.  Although the USA is headed in this direction very quickly these days.....

On 12/1/2020 at 10:34 AM, darmahman said:

I just ordered a Wings Exhaust for my T7. Really liked the build quality, sound and price. It is titanium. 468 bucks shipped to the US. Very fast shipping BTW. 

Probably order a header next.

photos.svg

Wings titanium exhaust with real carbon fibre end cap and heat shield for YAMAHA TENERE 700 -premium product in terms of design, function and materials - EU

The wings exhaust I installed on my 990 was amazing quality, sounded amazing, and the owner of Wings was great to deal with as well.  I plan to buy Wings for my T7 assuming I can find a high pipe that will work with it at some point.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Have been riding the U.K. Trans Euro Trail..lots of fun and no issues so far

I won't ride the knarly single track that Alberta and British Columbia has to offer but I will ride mostly gravel and forestry service roads and some other stuff as I see fit.  

• Like 2

Did a 350 mile 2 day ADV ride through 4 National Forests this past weekend with a group of friends. 2 of us have T7's. A great mix of hard pack, gravel, loose dirt and sweet 2 lane back county roads. At 5'10", the standing Ergo's with the stock bars are perfect for me and one of the best "ergo" fitting bikes I have owned. Standing feels so natural and perfect for me on the T7. Honestly it does not feel like 450 lbs offroad, feels very natural and handles well. Climbing hills in 2 or 3rd was perfect. Very competent ride off road. This bike is about 100% better than the F800 I had previously, especially offroad.

Edited by Firebolter
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2020 at 12:20 PM, cstatman said:

Years of wasted time on an XR650R - But? I can kickstart anything now.
lots of Single and MX Track on my KTMs  300, 350, 525

a few years back Ranger Mike at Metcalf OHV park asked me to stay of the MX track, as guys did not like seeing me fly my Super10 off doubles.  Apparently the full luggage and not-polished frame was offending some of 'em

the T700 SEEMS like that midground, between S10 and Ktm350
too big for MX Track
a touch too big for single track, but do-able
Perfect for dual sport and desert rides.
Maybe too heavy for Baja in anger, but just about right for Baja - calmly

And more capable than the Super10 if you get into the small tight twistey stuff.

Riding the Ktm 350 on dual sport rides worked - but always felt like I was wringing its neck to keep up on the beautiful nor cal highway stretches.

I pickup the T7 tomorrow (if the dealer has it) - and will break in mostly on road.
Farkles have been ordering -  
still want to sort out:
-tires (motoZ?  Heidenau? what)

-exhaust - full system, end can, what
- luggage (leaning to Rally Raid - if they get em in stock)

- lights - probably PIAA

I hope to pick up my T7 this week.  But I still have my XR650R and CRF450X too.  And my CR500 is a project to restore.  I got it new but not ridden it in many years.  

I hope the T7 does good off road.  I have not even seen one yet!  I am working with a dealer over the phone and email to buy one now.  Hope this is a good decision!

• Like 1

• Moderators
12 hours ago, Megathumper said:

I hope to pick up my T7 this week.  But I still have my XR650R and CRF450X too.  And my CR500 is a project to restore.  I got it new but not ridden it in many years.  

I hope the T7 does good off road.  I have not even seen one yet!  I am working with a dealer over the phone and email to buy one now.  Hope this is a good decision!

@MegathumperWelcome to the forum. If you list your location in your signature,  hopefully an owner nearby will contact you to arrange a look see for you.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Thanks!  I am in Columbia, SC.  But I am working on closing a deal now, trying to get details on OTD from the dealer. 

finally got the paper work ...the dealer wants 12,132 out the door. And wants to also charge me 1300 for a 3 year warranty.  

That seems pretty high.

Well rats, I walked away from that deal.  Dealer would not budge.   The 2022's will be out somewhat soon and that makes this deal even worst.  I can wait or get another Honda. 

• Sad 1

This is the OTD price they gave me.   Been awhile since I got a new bike but those fees seem to be really high and the warranty about 3 times normal price.   Am I wrong?

image.png.0d1d643fd0d143197a861664ea4c9c38.png

3 minutes ago, Megathumper said:

This is the OTD price they gave me.   Been awhile since I got a new bike but those fees seem to be really high and the warranty about 3 times normal price.   Am I wrong?

image.png.0d1d643fd0d143197a861664ea4c9c38.png

Isn't #1 the same thing....????????????

and did you purchase Warranty (#2)???

image.png

Edited by TimmyTheHog

5 minutes ago, TimmyTheHog said:

Isn't #1 the same thing....????????????

and did you purchase Warranty (#2)???

image.png

Now sure what you mean by #1 and the price included the warranty.  But I told them I would pass due to the high fees and warranty cost.