Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

OEM Rally seat....is it for you?

Ride & Shine

Hi UtahJack,

I have fitted the T7 Rally joining kit and then had a local upholsterer use this base to make the seat as one with more comfortable foam.  

Paul 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Im 5.7 and can barely touch the ground:)) my mother never gave me sprouts! #sayin

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Matth said:

Im 5.7 and can barely touch the ground:)) my mother never gave me sprouts! #sayin

I'm 6.4 and there are hardly any bikes that fit comfortably... But the T700 with new springs front and back and rally seat is amazing 😍 

• Like 2

Not sure if it is for me but I ordered one over a week ago. Back ordered until August 5th. No guarantee on that date. I'm 5'9" tall so if it doesn't work for me I'll be selling it on here lol I basically bought it for the one piece design. I hate the split seat that comes stock. I've rode taller dirt bikes in the past so worst can happen is I fall over on steep ground and that didn't happen often on a dirtbike.

• Like 1

@roy826

I knew the Rally seat would be too tall, so I got seat joining kit from T7Rally.com works great now one piece and got rid of that useless strap at the same time.

On 3/12/2020 at 11:40 AM, Ride & Shine said:

Hi Everyone,
Been a member for a while now and have benefited greatly from the generous knowledge sharing going on...thanks. Now it's my turn to make a contribution. I hope you find the info useful.
I'm 180 cms/6 foot with a 34 inch/86.4 cms inseam. I could flat foot comfortably on the stock seat but found it too uncomfortable on any ride over 30 mins. Plus I didn't like the way it looked on the bike and the two piece design was annoying as I like to stash a few items in battery compartment. Enter the Rally seat, adds 35mm to the seat height which is very noticeable when you throw your leg over plus sitting on the bike you’ve got a lofty view! The Rally seat is more comfortable than stock for sure plus I’ve put a cool cover on it which adds a bit more cushioning.
With the Rally seat I found getting my foot down (yep I’m a one foot down guy) needed a full cheek off the seat which around the city (Sydney) can be a bit tricky at short notice. Plus since 90% of my riding is on the tarmac I decided to get the 30mm lowering kit and drop the front forks 25mm. End result = perfection!
Bike is comfortable, stable, I can see as far forward as I need, I can flat foot in an instant plus the bike looks aesthetically more balanced. The pics give a good overview of what you’re getting but the only way to know if it’s for you is to commit, hopefully my experience will help you make the call plus feel free to flick me any questions if you want to drill down on any aspect of the seat…happy to offer my personal perspective. Ride safe!

IMAG0962.jpg

IMAG0963.jpg

IMAG0964.jpg

IMAG0966.jpg

IMAG0967.jpg

IMAG0969.jpg

I'm hoping the rally seat is the answer to my comfort issues as well. 24km & I'm in pain. Thankfully my dealer gives me 20% discount on everything. Still expensive @300€.

Edited by Adventure6965

34 minutes ago, roy826 said:

Not sure if it is for me but I ordered one over a week ago. Back ordered until August 5th. No guarantee on that date. I'm 5'9" tall so if it doesn't work for me I'll be selling it on here lol I basically bought it for the one piece design. I hate the split seat that comes stock. I've rode taller dirt bikes in the past so worst can happen is I fall over on steep ground and that didn't happen often on a dirtbike.

Where are you in the world? UK? 

37 minutes ago, jojitsu56 said:

Where are you in the world? UK? 

Mississippi US of A 

50 minutes ago, UtahJack said:

@roy826

I knew the Rally seat would be too tall, so I got seat joining kit from T7Rally.com works great now one piece and got rid of that useless strap at the same time.

I have seen the joining kit. It’s ok but not a perfect solution for me. Verdict is still out on the rally seat. No biggie if it’s to tall I got it at a reasonable price from my dealer. 

48 minutes ago, Adventure6965 said:

I'm hoping the rally seat is the answer to my comfort issues as well. 24km & I'm in pain.

Same here, the stock seat is atrocious.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, roy826 said:

Mississippi US of A 

Well, that's me not buying! 😁

• Haha 1

Standard seat or rally?

As some of you have experienced, the comfort of the standard seat isn’t the best.

Too be able to reach the handlebar when riding in comfort mode I feel a terrible  squeeze in the nut area. This is not the situation in attack mode, where a often changed position solves that problem.
So I went to the dealer an tested out rally seat. The seat really changed all geometries. All transitions in attack mode got easier, and reaching for the handlebar wasn’t an issue any more. The only issue now is the reach for the ground in critical situations.

I’m 5’11” (180 cm)

I have drawn som sketches, that’s explaining the difference between standard and rally seat.

conclusion: If you can cope with the high cost (460 US dollars in Sweden) and isn’t bothered with the increased hight, it’s a no brainer - you have too buy it! 🙂

image.jpeg

Edited by Mooregrove
  • Like 1

On 3/12/2020 at 9:40 PM, Ride & Shine said:

Hi Everyone,
Been a member for a while now and have benefited greatly from the generous knowledge sharing going on...thanks. Now it's my turn to make a contribution. I hope you find the info useful.
I'm 180 cms/6 foot with a 34 inch/86.4 cms inseam. I could flat foot comfortably on the stock seat but found it too uncomfortable on any ride over 30 mins. Plus I didn't like the way it looked on the bike and the two piece design was annoying as I like to stash a few items in battery compartment. Enter the Rally seat, adds 35mm to the seat height which is very noticeable when you throw your leg over plus sitting on the bike you’ve got a lofty view! The Rally seat is more comfortable than stock for sure plus I’ve put a cool cover on it which adds a bit more cushioning.
With the Rally seat I found getting my foot down (yep I’m a one foot down guy) needed a full cheek off the seat which around the city (Sydney) can be a bit tricky at short notice. Plus since 90% of my riding is on the tarmac I decided to get the 30mm lowering kit and drop the front forks 25mm. End result = perfection!
Bike is comfortable, stable, I can see as far forward as I need, I can flat foot in an instant plus the bike looks aesthetically more balanced. The pics give a good overview of what you’re getting but the only way to know if it’s for you is to commit, hopefully my experience will help you make the call plus feel free to flick me any questions if you want to drill down on any aspect of the seat…happy to offer my personal perspective. Ride safe!

IMAG0962.jpg

IMAG0963.jpg

IMAG0964.jpg

IMAG0966.jpg

IMAG0967.jpg

IMAG0969.jpg

Well I finally bit the bullet and bought the rally seat yesterday, fitted it last night, and although I'm 188cm, I can only just touch the ground with my tippy toes, something I haven't experienced on a motorcycle since I was about 10 years old!

I'm sure this will piss me off greatly on the dirt, so im thinking lowering links ( does this ever end??!!).

30mm sounds about right, where did you get your lowering kit?

At the writing of this I haven't ridden the bike yet, but sitting on it with the new seat felt rather wierd in respect to the handle bars, so maybe a riser kit to compensate??

Interested in any views on that as well.

I came across these lowering links on eBay, see attached pic. Anyone has had any experience with them, they seem like a good thing?

Screenshot_20200801-080024.png

Hi Stevoh..sorry for late response. I ordered 30mm lowering kit, then went further and ordered 40mm kit and fitted those so I have a 30mm dog bones spare. I ordered from a German mob off the road see below. If you're interested in the 30mm drop me a note and i'll sort you out...:-) I personally wouldn't go for the adjustable ones. as even the most minute play in them will only grow under the tremendous pressure and forces that rear suspension is subject to. Just my own thoughts.

ulh-t700_otr_tenere_700_tieferlegung_low

Lowering kit Yamaha Tenere 700 - Lowering kits Yamaha Tenere 700 This laser cutted and CNC-manufactured linkage bones notably improve the driving characteristics of the Yamaha Tenere 700 and help your

I just got my rally seat on my bike got it off ebay new for 200$ so couldn't pass it up, i was worried about the height some cause i already couldn't flat foot the bike im 5'10" i could almost flat foot but couldn't get heals all the way down. Not the biggest deal im comfortable with tip toes. Anyway just put on my new rally seat and it looks amazing pretty much the same dirtbike profile im used to i get on the bike and wtf I can now flat foot the bike. Yeah  the seat is taller but its also more narrow so i can get my legs together more now. I think im going to love this seat need to put some miles on it. Also i love the new seating position feels like im on the bike and not in the bike. 

20200803_160931.jpg

• Like 7

• Premium Member

I'm in the too short for the bike camp, and got the lower seat. 
However, if you can't flat foot the bike (I can't), I'd suggest (before lowering the bike) to adjust your riding technique, do the weight shift thing and plant only one leg at a time?  
Its what I do with my bike, and so far I like it.   

Tazmool

Surprise surprise mine showed up today 3 weeks earlier than I was last told. First impression it’s tall but I like it and after a ride it felt naturally better for me as far as reach to bars and foot pegs. Felt more like tall  dirtbikes I’ve owned in the past. 

Love the one piece design, my CO2 pump and cartridges with tools fit perfectly in the provided recess and are nice and snug and out of the way. 

76B2A64C-89A9-4B97-AE3C-BFE1698E475F.jpeg

• Like 1

Some Rally seat info.

I like the positioning of the seat but I still get a good amount of buffeting.  I'm 6'3" 34 inseam so I guess normal torso...?  Anyway, I saw @Aleksandar13  post somewhere about loving not getting any more buffeting running the Powerbronze short windscreen and the Rally seat.  I also saw that he's 6'4" and so I bought the Powerbronze short windscreen.  Only did a quick spin on the freeway and my initial thoughts are it's great.  Brought the wind blast down to just near my chin and I think almost all the buffeting is now gone.  I prefer my helmet in clean air rather than being protected by a larger screen mainly because at my height a barn door is needed to move the blast up high enough.

Thumbs up for  PB short screen and Rally seat.

On a side note, the rally seat is a little uncomfortable longer the 2 hrs so as most of my day trips are 300-400 miles I've ordered a gel insert to inlay in the stock foam.  I'm looking forward to trying it out, but not looking forward to the work involved to get it installed.  it's only a few hours and $50 so it's worth a shot before going down the Renazco or Seat Concepts route.

J

Edited by Goldentaco

I welcome wind right now, it’s 95 degrees here and 60% humidity. I wear a nice Shoei x14 helmet buffeting has never been a problem in the past with my cut down stock screen on my Africa Twin. 

it’s a motorcycle, wind is part of the equation on them. 

On 8/2/2020 at 9:30 PM, Ride & Shine said:

Hi Stevoh..sorry for late response. I ordered 30mm lowering kit, then went further and ordered 40mm kit and fitted those so I have a 30mm dog bones spare. I ordered from a German mob off the road see below. If you're interested in the 30mm drop me a note and i'll sort you out...:-) I personally wouldn't go for the adjustable ones. as even the most minute play in them will only grow under the tremendous pressure and forces that rear suspension is subject to. Just my own thoughts.

ulh-t700_otr_tenere_700_tieferlegung_low

Lowering kit Yamaha Tenere 700 - Lowering kits Yamaha Tenere 700 This laser cutted and CNC-manufactured linkage bones notably improve the driving characteristics of the Yamaha Tenere 700 and help your

Thanks for the reply.

So...I went for a ride on the weekend to test out new rally seat, Terrigal to Hornsby via freeway, on the way down definitely more comfortable, but on the way back the same lower back pain, but a definite improvement in comfort overall, I'm thinking perhaps some arthritis in my tail bone, anyways, with my boots on the seat height isn't a problem around town,I'll head up to Ourimbah state forest and do some single trails soon, if the seat height shits me on the dirt I'll definitely talk about your lowering links.

Welcome Buddy.
Sorry to hear about the the possible arthritis. BTW when and if you want them, from one "local" forum member to another I didn't plan to charge for them, I didn't make that clear in earlier post. Plus I'd be interested in some more detail on the Ourimbah trails you seem familiar with; I've been planning to explore the region but feel nervous about doing so without some inside knowledge...:-)

Very generous offer on the lowering links,I do appreciate, but still hopeful I won't need them.

Ourimbah explore shouldn't be too hard to sort out one day, was considering to ride this weekend but it's going to piss down, not much fun on stock tyres, in the wet they're about as good as a hip pocket in a singlet.

Stevoh, I am 183cm ( I hate that measurement! ) or a bit over 6' in the old scale and don't have a problem with being able to foot the ground. I am on the balls of my feet and the only problem I have had was in a creek crossing when I put my foot down and there was nothing there!

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

I'm thinking it should be ok, the initial seat height test was done in the garage with socks on my feet (standard home PPE!) So I'm thinking with my riding boots on should be sweeeet, as for creek crossing, well if you did put your foot down and there was something there...... It could have been Biblical!! 😆