Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

OEM Rally seat....is it for you?

Ride & Shine

I just picked up my new T7, with Rally seat and rode it home 2,500 km in 4 days. Prior to that the longest ride I had ever done was 360 km in one day (on my KLR 650). I am 6' 2", 200 lbs and 34" inseam. With the Rally seat I can just flat foot the bike. The T7 is so smooth and combined with the Rally seat it is a long distance riding machine. Is there anything better?

• Like 3

I agree mate completely; Rally seat was my first mod however Seat Concepts have yet to release their take on our seats. I reckon they'll take the Rally seat to the next level if their previous form is anything to go by. Anyone know what their current ETA is?

I’m 5/11 and I’m experiencing some knee pain with this bike. I’m thinking the rally seat might help with that getting me farther from the pegs? I am concerned though about pushing my weight higher up on the bike. Any thoughts on that? 

(I don’t get knee pain on any other bike, not even my sport bike! Not sure why this one is causing that) 

DT675: On my long days on my T7 I found that after 500 km my right knee would get real tight. My butt was fine on the Rally seat, but my right knee suffered (left knee was fine).  So I was having to do weird karate kicks at 100 kph to keep from seizing. Actually stopping for 5 minutes and walking about also did the trick. So I'm looking at how to drop my pegs 1 inch. I think that would make a big difference. But it was only an issue after about 5 hours in the saddle. I bet the rally seat would be the ticket for you. I  believe it gives 1.6" of extra height and is super comfy.  Also, with my limited experience I don't think you would notice any difference in the bike handling with your weight going slightly up. I had my T7 setup with really high saddle bags because I didn't have proper racks, which initially worried me, but the bike was still nimble as hell.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 5/19/2020 at 4:03 PM, Rich TT said:

Completely agree. Honestly best single mod I've done to transform the riding experience (including the bar risers too). Now roomy, more comfortable, "bossing" the bike rather than sitting in it and just in a more controlling riding position. Also the knees are much less bent. I'm tall too, so may not be for everyone. I rode my mates bike at the weekend with the standard seat. Really don't like it and much harder and flatter too and glad I got rid of mine after the ride back from the dealers.

How tall are you and how tall risers did you install? Im 6`4, have the rally seat coming and a set of 20mm bar risers. Im not sure if 20mm is enough if the seat increases the height by 35 mm?

Edited by JayD
Mm not inches
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JayD said:

How tall are you and how tall risers did you install? Im 6`4, have the rally seat coming and a set of 20mm bar risers. Im not sure if 20mm is enough if the seat increases the height by 35 mm?

I'm 6 ft 3 and have bought the standard Yamaha risers. I think they're perfect to be honest with the Rally seat. So much better than standard.

Cheers

Rich

13 minutes ago, Rich TT said:

I'm 6 ft 3 and have bought the standard Yamaha risers. I think they're perfect to be honest with the Rally seat. So much better than standard.

Cheers

Rich

Do you happen to know how tall they are? Thanks a lot!

2 hours ago, JayD said:

I'm 6 ft 2 albeit with very long legs and a short torso. I'm still sorting out my position.

I've got 30mm bar risers and currently on the stock seat (waiting for a seat concepts solo cover and the OEM rally or Seat concepts rally seat to get in stock). My position for standing off road is excellent with the riser, though the bars are currently too high for my needs while sitting. 

The way I see it, bar risers are primarily to adjust your position for standing, and bringing bars up and back can sometimes help shorter folks with reach (helibar risers). We are all different though. For me, a higher seat is necessary to avoid knee pain from constantly moving to standing from sitting and a position where my knees are bent too much due to the peg/seat distance being too short. If I never stood off-road, the bike would have been 100% fine in stock configuration. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Desert Mariner said:

I'm 6 ft 2 albeit with very long legs and a short torso. I'm still sorting out my position.

I've got 30mm bar risers and currently on the stock seat (waiting for a seat concepts solo cover and the OEM rally or Seat concepts rally seat to get in stock). My position for standing off road is excellent with the riser, though the bars are currently too high for my needs while sitting. 

The way I see it, bar risers are primarily to adjust your position for standing, and bringing bars up and back can sometimes help shorter folks with reach (helibar risers). We are all different though. For me, a higher seat is necessary to avoid knee pain from constantly moving to standing from sitting and a position where my knees are bent too much due to the peg/seat distance being too short. If I never stood off-road, the bike would have been 100% fine in stock configuration. 

Exactly- I too have short torso, long legs and arms (great for deadlifting though). Seated its all good, I experience some upper back pain after a while no matter which bike I ride.

For standing the OEM setup is just slightly too low at handlebars. Ive rotated the handlebars a bit forward which gave 10mm height increase (and reach increase when seated). I think the 20mm will make it perfect.

Have you considered lowering the pegs? I did on my old V Strom, instead of increasing the handlebars too much. The rally pegs and pivot pegs can be adjusted 20mm down if im not mistaken. For me that made seated perfect and standing so much better. You could do that and decrease the risers with 10mm. Just a thought 🙂

Edited by JayD

44 minutes ago, JayD said:

Do you happen to know how tall they are? Thanks a lot!

20mm

See attached.

Cheers

IMG_20201205_192010.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, JayD said:

Have you considered lowering the pegs? I did on my old V Strom, instead of increasing the handlebars too much. The rally pegs and pivot pegs can be adjusted 20mm down if im not mistaken. For me that made seated perfect and standing so much better. You could do that and decrease the risers with 10mm. Just a thought 🙂

Yup - That thought has occurred to me. I've had lowered pegs on a Wee-Strom and a DR650.

I rode 30 miles on dirt today and spent most of the time standing. My position when standing is perfect for ADV style riding with the 30mm bar risers and the bars rotated forward.

I really dislike the T7 seated position with the stock seat, so I'll try the tall seat next. Once I check that out, I may try lowered pegs. My DR650 was one of the most comfortable bikes I've ridden with bar risers, lowered pegs and a tall SC seat, although the standing position was nowhere near as good as the T7 with the 30mm risers. The bars were too close. That said, I rode some really gnarly stuff on the DR.

• Thanks 1

On 12/6/2020 at 2:39 AM, Desert Mariner said:

Yup - That thought has occurred to me. I've had lowered pegs on a Wee-Strom and a DR650.

I rode 30 miles on dirt today and spent most of the time standing. My position when standing is perfect for ADV style riding with the 30mm bar risers and the bars rotated forward.

I really dislike the T7 seated position with the stock seat, so I'll try the tall seat next. Once I check that out, I may try lowered pegs. My DR650 was one of the most comfortable bikes I've ridden with bar risers, lowered pegs and a tall SC seat, although the standing position was nowhere near as good as the T7 with the 30mm risers. The bars were too close. That said, I rode some really gnarly stuff on the DR.

By the way, did you have to do anything with the stock cables to fit the 30mm risers?

2 hours ago, JayD said:

By the way, did you have to do anything with the stock cables to fit the 30mm risers?

No adjustments to the stock cables/wiring were necessary. I expected I'd need to adjust something, and was surprised how easy the install went. I did rotate the bars slightly forward, but I checked the original position and the cables were fine with the bars rotated farther back as well.

Here's a link to the risers:

leh-otr-t700-lenker-erh_hung-yamaha-tene

Handlebar risers 30mm Yamaha Tenere 700 - Handlebar risers Yamaha Tenere 700 2019 onwards The risers were specially designed for the Tenere 700. The contour of the risers follows exactly the look of t

Edited by Desert Mariner

15 hours ago, Desert Mariner said:

No adjustments to the stock cables/wiring were necessary. I expected I'd need to adjust something, and was surprised how easy the install went. I did rotate the bars slightly forward, but I checked the original position and the cables were fine with the bars rotated farther back as well.

Here's a link to the risers:

leh-otr-t700-lenker-erh_hung-yamaha-tene

Handlebar risers 30mm Yamaha Tenere 700 - Handlebar risers Yamaha Tenere 700 2019 onwards The risers were specially designed for the Tenere 700. The contour of the risers follows exactly the look of t

Thanks man!

I went with SW Motech- I guess they pretty much do the same thing 🙂

• 2 months later...

I got Baby legs. I have a low seat on order. Now that I have the bike I’m tempted to remove the cover and shape it to my liking. I do it to all my dirt bikes.I see seat concepts offered a low seat too...

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, JayD said:

@GoldentacoHow did the reupholster go? I have the rally seat, but would love another cm or two!

My positioning the gel insert wasn't back far enough.  the overall seat shape is kind of domed so that still creates some groin numbness initially.  That goes away in the twisties or offroad.  Ideally for my butt, I need a wider seating area than the OEM Rally so more of my butt is supporting my weight.  As it is now, it's still a lot of pressure on the sit bones.  I've been using an Air Hawk for longer rides but in Offroad, that disconnects you a little from the bike.  I'ts a bandaid.

I'm looking at professional options now.  I've got an appointment with Corbin for a ride in fitting Mid June so we'll see how that turns out.  I'm going to try out the Dual Sport version and hopefully they can add some height for me.

My modification is here:

J

Edited by Goldentaco
  • Thanks 1

On 6/8/2021 at 4:06 AM, Goldentaco said:

My positioning the gel insert wasn't back far enough.  the overall seat shape is kind of domed so that still creates some groin numbness initially.  That goes away in the twisties or offroad.  Ideally for my butt, I need a wider seating area than the OEM Rally so more of my butt is supporting my weight.  As it is now, it's still a lot of pressure on the sit bones.  I've been using an Air Hawk for longer rides but in Offroad, that disconnects you a little from the bike.  I'ts a bandaid.

I'm looking at professional options now.  I've got an appointment with Corbin for a ride in fitting Mid June so we'll see how that turns out.  I'm going to try out the Dual Sport version and hopefully they can add some height for me.

My modification is here:

J

I had Tom Simmons in Arkansas build me an awesome seat using the Rally seat. Its the 4th seat he has built me.

Tenere 700 / Africa Twin / Goldwing / Super Tenere / WR250R / GS1000S / GT750 / H2 750