Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Seat removing allen key tenere 700

Allen Kelly

I have heard a few comments about how difficult removing the Alyn Key is, for removing the seat. I have even seen a video on YouTube where some blokes were attaching tape tags on the key so they can pull it straight up. This is not necessary as the tool slides sideways very easily and requires no effort at all. I have also got hold of a slightly longer Alyn Key which clears the top of the seat and gives you more to grip. Cheers everyone.

IMG_1338.jpg

IMG_1339.jpg

IMG_1340.jpg

IMG_1341.jpg

• Like 5

Nice fix, I'll give it a try. Had put a tie wrap around it and pulled that, which also works fine but is less elegant.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shaneygrog said:

It doesn't slide sideways at all! Not if it's installed properly with the short end down in the hole.

Exactly what I was going to say.

I've removed the bolts that hold the front seat down completely and left them out. It doesn't move around when the pillon seat is correctly fitted. 

Just pop the pillion off and lift out the front seat for access. Allen key lives in the toolkit. Much less faffing around at the roadside.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

I don't have my bike yet. I was wondering what size allen key this is?

Thanks

Tenere 700 / Africa Twin / Goldwing / Super Tenere / WR250R / GS1000S / GT750 / H2 750

I just ordered the rally one piece seat. Beginning to think I may never get it though...

24 minutes ago, roy826 said:

I just ordered the rally one piece seat. Beginning to think I may never get it though...

Can you tell  me what size the Allen wrench is to remove the front seat? Looks like the supplied one is a little janky. 

I am going to pick my bike up tomorrow and I'm bringing the Rally seat with me. It's a couple hundred mile ride home. I may do 100 miles with each seat. Thanks

• Like 1

Tenere 700 / Africa Twin / Goldwing / Super Tenere / WR250R / GS1000S / GT750 / H2 750

32 minutes ago, Simmons1 said:

Can you tell  me what size the Allen wrench is to remove the front seat? Looks like the supplied one is a little janky. 

I am going to pick my bike up tomorrow and I'm bringing the Rally seat with me. It's a couple hundred mile ride home. I may do 100 miles with each seat. Thanks

I think it’s a 4mm, fwiw mine didn’t come with the seat wrench I sourced one out of my tool box. 

1 minute ago, roy826 said:

I think it’s a 4mm, fwiw mine didn’t come with the seat wrench I sourced one out of my tool box. 

Thank you. I'll take T handle 4mm with me.

On 3/18/2020 at 12:56 AM, shaneygrog said:

Not if it's installed properly with the short end down in the hole.

That's what she said. 

Thanks folks, I'll see myself out. 

I don't use the screws either.

2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
2019 Husqvarna TE 250i
2018 Husqy/Oberon/JD FE 450

• 2 weeks later...

I stripped one of the stock bolts removing it the first time- it was torqued down hard. Replaced both of them with cap head stainless allen bolts I finger tight and can finger remove in seconds. Would have otherwise went with the RR set up..

I bought in Aliexpress bolts of M6 and 11 mm, cut half the head, removed the piece of aluminum where the original bolts enters, and I can open and close the seat with my fingers too.

IMG_20200819_001848.jpg

IMG_20200819_001809.jpg

IMG_20200819_005219.jpg

• Like 4

Teneré 700 '20

WR250R '10

1 hour ago, Chopsaki said:

What a great idea. Just found some on Amazon! 

Could you post a link please? Id love to get some as well and couldn't find any on Amazon. 

• 1 month later...
On 8/13/2020 at 5:52 AM, REDHORSECA said:

RRP629-1.jpg.3b5ccc91340ac94fdd8ea3c1486

RRP629-3.jpg.cf76b4634edd88c67bdbb540166

I just went with the Rally Raid Seat Release-RRP 629

Thread

I was going to do this mod today and started by cutting down a couple of M6 bolts. After a closer look I realised it doesn’t need the r-clip retainers, the studs should be fine. 

I know a few people have removed the screws altogether but the studs should stop any sideways twist and with the rear seat fitted It can’t lift up.

Makes seat removable so much easier.

6A90D4AA-EA7D-4B77-83B4-AC77B5433095.jpeg

• Like 1

Yep, looks great!

Short term issue for me. I'll be getting a Seat Concepts one piece seat when the group buy happens.