Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Looking forward to getting my 2022 Tenere 700 in the USA

Cruizin

All right, just came from my dealer.  I got lucky and the owner/manager was there with my sales guy.

Just as johnnygolucky posted earlier in this thread, Yamaha called the dealers about two weeks ago to get an exact count on pre-ordered bikes.  Yamaha also said, no more pre-orders.  Yamaha is only focusing on getting enough bikes to cover pre-ordered customers that have paid their deposits.  No other bikes are currently planned (that's how I heard it but I may have heard it wrong).

The dealer believes currently there aren't any bikes built but that Yamaha is trying to figure out how to get the actual pre-ordered bikes to their customers who have paid on schedule.  This last sentence is just the dealers opinion.

I asked, "If the pre-order was placed in the dealer's Yamaha portal, why do they need to call each dealer to get an exact count of bikes?"  The dealer said because dealers can't be trusted (I'm paraphrasing).

Here's my interpretation of what he tried to explain to me on why Yamaha called the dealers.  The dealers kept our pre-order deposits.  The deposits didn't go to Yamaha.  Some dealers enter more "pre-orders" into the system than they actually have cash deposits for.  This is to manipulate the system so the dealer can get more bikes.  When Yamaha called the dealers for an exact count on pre-orders with actual deposits, they said they were going to charge the dealer's account for the money.  Charging the dealer's account stops dealers from claiming pre-ordered bikes they don't actually have deposits for.

That's how it went down for me.  Your experience may vary.

Edited by Idarex
  • Like 1

My good friend owns a Yammie dealer.  I can verify without a doubt that the pre-order (or any order) portal for dealers does NOT exist for the T7 yet.  Anybody that put a deposit down (including me), just means you gave the dealer money until they can actually order the bike.  The reps contacted the dealers to get a count on committed/pre-ordered bikes and that is it.  Hopefully its an effort to get the commited bikes to dealers soon-ish but honestly, my dealer at least has no information in that regard yet.

• Thanks 1

I sat next to my sales guy as he entered my order in the Yamaha portal 2 months ago.

Edited by Idarex

Judging by the location of members that have had the same experience as me and completely different experiences than me, I would almost bet money that Yamaha only opened official pre-orders in their North West region.

As I understand it, the Yamaha warehouse is in Tacoma.

Edited by Idarex

26 minutes ago, Idarex said:

Judging by the location of members that have had the same experience as me and completely different experiences than me, I would almost bet money that Yamaha only opened official pre-orders in their North West region.

As I understand it, the Yamaha warehouse is in Tacoma.

Interesting.  I was at my dealer Saturday and he logged into the dealer portal as I sat there and there is nowhere to order a T7......But the local Rep does have my name and commitment based on when they called a couple weeks ago....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Idarex said:

The dealer believes currently there aren't any bikes built...

So much information and non-information. 

When you sat with your dealer, did they show you in the order portal the Tenere 700? This would be the only reported instance of that occurring. 

Other dealers, including my own, have stated that the ordering portal is either open or not, across all dealers and not per market area.

I received a receipt for my deposit, but it was tagged to a Super Tenere and noted as for the Tenere 700. But this was only a receipt for the deposit and not any pre-order.

As for bikes built, there is this video and link for the Canadian market. Which is same factory for the USA.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Idarex said:

I sat next to my sales guy as he entered my order in the Yamaha portal 2 months ago.

Would love to see the screenshot or picture of that...

As per a dealer in Colorado. And this is also what I saw with my own eyes when my dealer showed me his screen.

yamahaordersystem.jpg

• Like 3

Well, I'm trying to get one and my dealer hasn't gotten back tot me regarding a pre-order system here in the northeast US. I'm going to get one when I can and my dealer is sure I'm interested, so I will have to wait and see how it comes about, I guess.

I own this forum, the MT07 forum, the Tracer 900 forum and the MT10 forum. I started all of these forums before each model came to the USA. Let me take you all on a trip down memory lane. 

Every model bike above, every member on the forums posted that they put deposits on a bike. Then, when the bike came out, people simply walked into dealers and bought a new bike without having any deposits.  People who had preordered their bikes often got their bikes weeks after average Joe walked into the dealer and bought one off the showroom! 

That is for every Yamaha model listed above, and their earlier FZ07, FZ09, FJ09 and FZ10 Models.  What we all learned was that you didnt need to preorder anything, unless you wanted a certain color. And we also learned that ordering your bike didnt mean that you would be among the first to get your bike. 

Dealers order a certain amount of bikes in the USA. PReorders, sometimes you get the first ones, sometimes you don't. Depends on the dealers. And the Preorder portal is always all phucked up. Always has been.

But now, we have Covid 19. So who knows? Maybe Yamaha, for the very first time ever, will actually give preference to so called preorders, even though there isn't any official Preorder portal for the Tenere 700. 

Im telling you, many of us will be able to just walk into a dealer and buy one off the showroom. But, at first, the dealers will probably mark the price way up. 

Its a clusterphuck. But with Yamaha in the USA, it has always been some kind of clusterphuck when it comes to Preorders. 

This is because Yamaha hates the USA.  We are lucky to even be getting this bike at all. 

Moto-dealers have ALWAYS operated on a fiscal shoe-string.  With the COVID crisis, some won't survive the economic downturn. IF you've left 'down-money' with the dealer, what happens when said dealer folds?  You end up in court with the other creditors; and $500 puts you at the bottom of THAT barrel.  You'll be lucky to see ANYTHING; not to mention your legal costs. As much as we want this bike...I gotta say that to leave some yokel $500 on a promise is not wise: not in the present environment.

• Like 1

Jesus at this rate I’m nearly tempted to buy up a few Tenere’s here in Ireland and stick them on a container to the US myself 😂

€15,000 each. What say you 👀😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
4 hours ago, slakdawg said:

So much information and non-information. 

When you sat with your dealer, did they show you in the order portal the Tenere 700? This would be the only reported instance of that occurring. 

Other dealers, including my own, have stated that the ordering portal is either open or not, across all dealers and not per market area.

I received a receipt for my deposit, but it was tagged to a Super Tenere and noted as for the Tenere 700. But this was only a receipt for the deposit and not any pre-order.

As for bikes built, there is this video and link for the Canadian market. Which is same factory for the USA.

More importantly, this video was accompanied by the message: 

"The time has come. Your Next Horizon is here! The first 2021 Yamaha Ténéré 700 units produced for the Canadian market have been crated and shipped from our factory in Iwata, Japan! These first few hundred units are slated to arrive in dealerships during the month of May  - earlier than the original ‘Summer 2020’ timing we communicated last year.

Unit deliveries will be made in the same order as when deposits were placed during the Early Deposit Program (EDP), underscoring the importance of the priority delivery incentive. However, due to production limitations related to COVID-19, there are approximately 150 early deposit customers required to wait for a second shipment later this summer to receive their Ténéré 700. "

Here is a link: 

Time to play the odds and see who the unlucky 150 Canadian are?

• Like 2

Riding footage: www.instagram.com/beefmoto

Message me if you are close - let's go riding!

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, Cruizin said:

I own this forum, the MT07 forum, the Tracer 900 forum and the MT10 forum. I started all of these forums before each model came to the USA. Let me take you all on a trip down memory lane. 

Every model bike above, every member on the forums posted that they put deposits on a bike. Then, when the bike came out, people simply walked into dealers and bought a new bike without having any deposits.  People who had preordered their bikes often got their bikes weeks after average Joe walked into the dealer and bought one off the showroom! 

That is for every Yamaha model listed above, and their earlier FZ07, FZ09, FJ09 and FZ10 Models.  What we all learned was that you didnt need to preorder anything, unless you wanted a certain color. And we also learned that ordering your bike didnt mean that you would be among the first to get your bike. 

Dealers order a certain amount of bikes in the USA. PReorders, sometimes you get the first ones, sometimes you don't. Depends on the dealers. And the Preorder portal is always all phucked up. Always has been.

But now, we have Covid 19. So who knows? Maybe Yamaha, for the very first time ever, will actually give preference to so called preorders, even though there isn't any official Preorder portal for the Tenere 700. 

Im telling you, many of us will be able to just walk into a dealer and buy one off the showroom. But, at first, the dealers will probably mark the price way up. 

Its a clusterphuck. But with Yamaha in the USA, it has always been some kind of clusterphuck when it comes to Preorders. 

This is because Yamaha hates the USA.  We are lucky to even be getting this bike at all. 

As you in the good old USA States did say yourself: “you did tell Pres Truman not to nuke them” Japanese have long memory’s.

No Yamaha officially launched EDS Pre-order has made ordering a T7 quite scrappy there for you Americans.

Edit: I’d make a guess that a secret Yamaha policy could be to offer the official Early Discount System pre-ordering around to the rest of the world first in stages and then any spare bikes remaining after that can go into the American dealers and the US market; sounds plausible and seems like what is happening. 

Seems US will be lucky to get some.

Oh and it looks like it is the Yam US dealers that have the US customer deposit money and not Yamaha.

Seems Japanese are not interested or fussed about what they see as a lower priority US market I.e. for them the US market & $Dollars is last. 

Yes, when I pre-ordered the T7 was selected in the software.  We even entered the color.

Friday the dealer said when Yamaha called two weeks ago to get an actual count of customers who had already paid deposits, they wouldn't take additional pre-orders.

I've had trepidation that this dealer was scamming me after seeing others on here couldn't pre-order.  I've grilled them on three different occasions, and again yesterday.  They assure me my bike is ordered.  They also think it's still coming first week in June.

I have never bought a Yamaha before and I have never pre-ordered a bike before.  This dealer is new to carry Yamaha, about two years.  They barely have any bikes at all.  Their real business isn't bikes, it's polaris side by sides.  April has been their best month.  While out riding I swung by the Kawi dealer in Aberdeen ID and he also said he has been very busy.

In SE Idaho everyone is taking this opportunity to go dirt riding and break out their razors.  This is a trail head two weeks ago out on the Arco desert.  The trail head is full and trucks/trailers are on the side of the road for 1/4 mile.  All the dealers are having a banner year so far.

Trail Head Social DIstancing.jpg

I suspect, some people ordered after Dec 31 deadline (if its true the pre order was just cut off a few weeks back?). I might like to hear some figures. Doubt anyone knows. Cruizin, you might have an idea how many are pre-ordered prior to the 2019. 

Man I am really dissappointed in this whole mess.......I have the feeling us U'S. folks wont see any bikes until fall....

I am almost tempted to pick up a left over 19 790 Adventure R from my friends dealership (I could get it for not much more then the tenere)....🥵

CRFan1,

I was in the same frame of mind 2 weeks ago and have looked into Getting A 790.

As someone mentioned there is a recall for the back brake.

A simple brake line replacement.

IMO, not a deal braker,(pun intended ) 

Do some research over on Advrider.

If you end up with one ,  please let me know  how it works for you😉

Jeff

2 minutes ago, gone2seed said:

CRFan1,

I was in the same frame of mind 2 weeks ago and have looked into Getting A 790.

As someone mentioned there is a recall for the back brake.

A simple brake line replacement.

IMO, not a deal braker,(pun intended ) 

Do some research over on Advrider.

If you end up with one ,  please let me know  how it works for you😉

Jeff

Will do......I am torn really.  I will probably just keep my DR650 until this damn thing comes in but I am not sure, haha.

Jeeze. Everyone please get a grip. The only clusterf I see is the one driven by posters who are making wild guesses and accusations. I seriously doubt Yamaha hates the US. I seriously doubt WWII is a source of animosity toward the US by a Japanese corporation. It sounds like possibly some dealers might be trying to placate anxious customers through a variety of ploys to prevent the loss of a sale. Every one of you must be riding something right now, so it isn't as though you will be left walking. I recall the effort to get the FJR into the US with some pre-order system to prevent US customers from famously claiming they "absolutely have to have one" then once the bikes were in showrooms, sitting on their hands until they could buy one at a discount as those US customers had done to Japanese manufacturers time after time. Bunch of effing bottom feeders!! When the bike is offered, buy it at MSRP, plus delivery, plus sales tax,  plus licensing fees or else you are part of the problem. Meantime, relax and ride what you have. I fully expect in a year or so, there'll be lots of fully farkled bikes for sale used because to some people, having an object of desire is secretly more satisfying than actually using it when all you really have time for is earning the money to get the next great thing.

1 hour ago, CRFan1 said:

Will do......I am torn really.  I will probably just keep my DR650 until this damn thing comes in but I am not sure, haha.

I bought a 690 Enduro last summer to tide me over until the T7 arrives. So I'm good to wait until it gets here.

That said, I like to ride more than repair. Not saying every Yamaha is without issue but KTM seems to need more love overall. Plus oil changes are freaking ridiculous with the two filters and two prescreens. Ha! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dan said:

Jeeze. Everyone please get a grip. The only clusterf I see is the one driven by posters who are making wild guesses and accusations. 

What else is there to do 🤷‍♂️🤣

Well, go ride and find a nice creek in some remote part of the forest is an option. MMM was cancelled but had our minds set to go ride in the woods.

MVIMG_20200328_154957.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, slakdawg said:

What else is there to do 🤷‍♂️🤣

Well, go ride and find a nice creek in some remote part of the forest is an option. MMM was cancelled but had our minds set to go ride in the woods.

MVIMG_20200328_154957.jpg

Hahaha...yeah I am familiar with KTM Maintenenace, haha.  The 690 is a good bike for sure...I have my DR set up really well and it will tide me over to.  March Moto Madness...been their 4 years running until this year.  Stay with my friend Kyle who runs the Farmhouse Inn in Tellico Plains.  May head that way in July I think.....

2 hours ago, Dan said:

Jeeze. Everyone please get a grip. The only clusterf I see is the one driven by posters who are making wild guesses and accusations. I seriously doubt Yamaha hates the US. I seriously doubt WWII is a source of animosity toward the US by a Japanese corporation. It sounds like possibly some dealers might be trying to placate anxious customers through a variety of ploys to prevent the loss of a sale. Every one of you must be riding something right now, so it isn't as though you will be left walking. I recall the effort to get the FJR into the US with some pre-order system to prevent US customers from famously claiming they "absolutely have to have one" then once the bikes were in showrooms, sitting on their hands until they could buy one at a discount as those US customers had done to Japanese manufacturers time after time. Bunch of effing bottom feeders!! When the bike is offered, buy it at MSRP, plus delivery, plus sales tax,  plus licensing fees or else you are part of the problem. Meantime, relax and ride what you have. I fully expect in a year or so, there'll be lots of fully farkled bikes for sale used because to some people, having an object of desire is secretly more satisfying than actually using it when all you really have time for is earning the money to get the next great thing.

Thanks for coming along and correcting all of us. Where would we be without you? 

• Like 3