Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Handlebars, what you running from standard ?

Davey

On 1/26/2021 at 8:55 PM, MikeCMP said:

I’ve got a set of fasst flex bars, they were off my super Tenere, so I had them thread for the s10. That means the stock bar end weights on the t700 wouldn’t work. I managed to fit all the controls on the bars, and drilled some holes in my bark busters to re use those as well.

B739F96B-98B4-4FBA-B7D2-18AB09930165.thumb.jpeg.2a2ce2d1b68e2cf973680a8726a97763.jpegF23E31AB-3E06-426B-B2A4-8AB8E444358A.thumb.jpeg.7b78bf504d5ac7381ad8d4c011fa2a71.jpeg

How are the Fast Flexx bars doing, how is your experience?

On 1/26/2021 at 8:55 PM, MikeCMP said:

I’ve got a set of fasst flex bars, they were off my super Tenere, so I had them thread for the s10. That means the stock bar end weights on the t700 wouldn’t work. I managed to fit all the controls on the bars, and drilled some holes in my bark busters to re use those as well.

B739F96B-98B4-4FBA-B7D2-18AB09930165.thumb.jpeg.2a2ce2d1b68e2cf973680a8726a97763.jpegF23E31AB-3E06-426B-B2A4-8AB8E444358A.thumb.jpeg.7b78bf504d5ac7381ad8d4c011fa2a71.jpeg

Also, what is the rise and sweep and model (moto?)

• 10 months later...

There is a warning on the ProTaper ACF stating it can not be used with bar end inserts or wraparound handguards. I'll be trying a Renthal Fatbar CR High. The Renthal has 8" of control space.

ProTaper ACF CR High vs Renthal Fatbar CR High:

IMG_20230915_194305080.jpg.0eb965cbff8c27248452b871d73b63b0.jpgIMG_20230915_193851635.jpg.3cc3f4e0ecce9de35298449dfe2df4f7.jpg

Edited by jw75

53 minutes ago, jw75 said:

The ProTaper ACF has a warning that it can not be used with bar end inserts or wraparound handguards. I'll be trying a Renthal Fatbar CR High. The Renthal has 8" of control space.

ProTaper ACF CR High vs Renthal Fatbar CR High:

IMG_20230915_194305080.jpg.0eb965cbff8c27248452b871d73b63b0.jpgIMG_20230915_193851635.jpg.3cc3f4e0ecce9de35298449dfe2df4f7.jpg

The protaper cr high didn't have enough control space when I tried it

14 hours ago, vagrant318 said:

The protaper cr high didn't have enough control space when I tried it

I'm trying the Renthal rather than the ProTaper as ProTaper lists 180mm of control space for the EVO CR High vs 200mm for the Renthal.

I'm planning on switching to a shorter throttle tube. It looks like the Renthal could work with the OEM tube, but the mirror mount would have to be positioned on the start of the bend.

• Like 1

Hey guys trying to figure all this out. I bought a set of pro taper adventure bars, the lower ones. 

I’m about to buy a set of heated grips and hand gaurds. I have the barkbuster vps tenere kit in my shopping cart but not sure if that the best option. 

I did already order a m16x1.5 tap for the bars. But then I was reading someone else tapped to 5/8’s and used some plugs. 

I live in alaska so don’t want to keep messing with shipping. Thanks. 

11 hours ago, AKPrice said:

Hey guys trying to figure all this out. I bought a set of pro taper adventure bars, the lower ones. 

I’m about to buy a set of heated grips and hand gaurds. I have the barkbuster vps tenere kit in my shopping cart but not sure if that the best option. 

I did already order a m16x1.5 tap for the bars. But then I was reading someone else tapped to 5/8’s and used some plugs. 

I live in alaska so don’t want to keep messing with shipping. Thanks. 

I did a post a while back on fitting Barkbusters to Protaper Adventure low bars.  You need a few extra bits. I ran Oxford heated grips with that setup. 

On 12/30/2020 at 12:12 AM, T7norway said:

Had to make threads in the ends of the bar to fit the bar end weights. Otherwise I would not have enough space for my controls, the bar ends is extending the control space. This bar has 200 mm of space Protaper claims. I measured

1 hour ago, Zero600 said:

I did a post a while back on fitting Barkbusters to Protaper Adventure low bars.  You need a few extra bits. I ran Oxford heated grips with that setup. 

I’m sure I read that one and I think you said to buy another clamp set as well with the part number. They are like $25 as well I think. 

Here is the Renthal Fatbar CR High, Oxford heated grips, with brake assembly positioned where the straight control area begins. There is just enough space to make this work with the OEM throttle tube:

IMG_20230917_172233692.jpg.b44a72aaddd3ad4ff24b566cd26b4cb8.jpg

It will require using the original threaded bar ends or a 3/8" spacer for the Barkbusters with standard bar end mounts. The grips were glued into position with the OEM bars, so they'll need to be trimmed about 1/4". There is enough space between the grip and the throttle cable housing that they could have been positioned on the throttle tube to work without trimming.

Measured length of the control area on the Renthal bars was about 8.2".

Update: I threaded the bar ends, fully tapped the threaded inserts (the through hole is not fully tapped) and drilled a new hole in the Barkbuster backbone for the center mount to accommodate removing the bar end weights.

IMG_20231001_112937965.jpg.2ecbcd79ff59aff202e012a2c99afe68.jpg

I'm 5' 10". I like the CR High bar better than the OEM bars. I would prefer something with slightly less rise.

The Pro Taper EVO Husqvarna Stock or MX Race look interesting. They should have sufficient control area, but have less sweep than the CR High.

Edited by jw75

• 1 month later...
On 3/25/2020 at 6:29 PM, Canomball said:

I have change it  to Renthal ones.  For me is better position and quality

Renthall Twinwall 997l

Hi, I just bought the same handlebar, but doesn’t fit the clutch support because the handlebar gets fatter before the original one so can’t make it fit. Same happen in the other side for the brake support. How did you solve it?

thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I tend to tell people that the Tenere 700 was built to suit long-legged and armed riders, especially with the way the ergos are setup.

In saying that the biggest reason I say that is the OEM handlebar sucks if you aren't one of them long armed riders, instead of being easy to ride, its a workout when you are hitting the twisties or engaging in gnarly gravel roads or twisty trails.

Got the ProTaper Evo Adventure Low bars back in January this year because of the slight change in sweep and decent rise in height. Have no complaints since, in fact has just made everything so much better whether on the seat or up on the pegs!

Interesting install experience though with measuring, marking & drilling out the switchgear lock pin holes. Only to realise after install that for whatever reason there is a 4mm gap between the bar end weights and ends of the grips (oh well, what's done is done)! Installing the barkbusters was a bit of a challenge in itself getting the right set of clamps to suit the angle and taper of the bars. But in the end, the to & fro to the accessory shop to swap out clamps was worth it.

Edited by motonap

Meet BigBlu - 2022 Tenere 700 | Yamaha OEM chain guide | Yamaha OEM crash guard | Givi Rear luggage rack | Givi BN42 top box | Black Widow 300mm Hexagonal exhaust | Acerbis High Fender | Windscreen risers | ProTaper Evo low handlebar | Oxford Integrated heated grips | Upshift Retro Speedblock Blue graphic kit | QuadLock wireless charger | BarkBuster Storm Handguards | Mitas E07+ rear tyre | Shinko E804 front tyre | MotoMount Radar screamer & LED visual alert | Custom half tail tidy kit |

• 4 weeks later...

Finally bent the stock bars. What’s the consensus on a aftermarket replacement that is similar to the OEM ones? I happen to like the stock bars. 

3 hours ago, mpatch said:

Finally bent the stock bars. What’s the consensus on a aftermarket replacement that is similar to the OEM ones? I happen to like the stock bars. 

This handlebar has the exact same shape as the stock bars. It is a bit smaller in width, but I had not problems installing the controls.

KTM SX 85 Bend (Model 831 Renthal) 

Check out the Renthal website as well. There is a tool which allows you to compare the stock handlebar to any of their bars.

I tried using their fitment thing on my phone and I couldn’t figure it out. We’ll look at it on my computer computer later looks like those bars above are a direct fit with very little difference from the stock bars.  

• Moderators

@mpatch. This might help.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

2 hours ago, Hogan said:

Renthal has a listing for stock: 831-50

I changed to the 814-50 for more sweep. They are a little taller than stock but otherwise very similar.

They are far more comfortable for sitting and controlling the bike.

I'd say the issue with the T7 is the seating position more than anything else. You sit further back and down then you would on a dirt bike. Seems to be a compromise as the prototype T7 pictures show a more dirt oriented seat/tank setup.

81450.jpg.503e9b36a087290a0268b7a140a69d30.jpg

Playing with their fitment tool. I'm leaning towards the 814-50 vs stock. A little more sweep would be a good thing I think. 

On 11/15/2020 at 9:39 AM, TonyVito said:

The standard bars are weakened by the holes drilled in the bars to aide 

Figment on the assembly line my bike fell over on my drive you can see 

the damage in the photo ,the top hole is elongated and the lower hole is

compressed, not good. I have fitted bars off a KTM 690 (no holes in bars)

and cut off the locating pegs all work well.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Sheesh thats terrible. The bars are too weak without the holes too. Seen a bunch broken at the higher moment locations. Just cheapo crap. 

Mine were replaced before riding them with a set of Charmichael Low bend Pro Tapers I had in the bin for my enduro bikes. I prefer them lower than I can get them without hitting the tank but these with lower risers are close enough…

• 2 weeks later...

@RobR I also have short arms and find that for highway riding I feel like I'm always pushing myself back to keep from leaning forward- but for long rides that gets hard to maintain. Otherwise for trail riding/standing I have no issues with the stock bars. Curious if you had the same issue and if the Evo bars helped with that?

I'm also exploring the idea of having an adjustable bar riser so I can lean the bars back if I need but not sure how that works with the controls. 

• Members

Rotated them slightly backwards and they are much better for longer slab treks now.

I'm running the 2" version of these from Upshift.

Cheetah Factory Racing has been spending summers on two wheels for years now and have finally brought the feel and quality of their oversized bars that they have been enjoying on snow to the world of moto. The...