Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Spoke Corrosion

Stephen H

• 2 months later...

Thought I'd resurrect this as I have same issue with rear spokes. I haven't even had my first service yet at 550miles and rear spokes are all tarnished.

I'm sure I was told by a dealer previously that fronts were stainless but rears weren't , but after reading this I'm not sure the fronts are either.

I'm hoping to out through a warranty claim for them also. 'll update if I am successful..and hopefully get the. To fit stainless 🤞

I am still waiting for an appointment to have my spokes replaced. This will be the second time they have been replaced so I am considering going down the stainless route just to save the hassle. I’ve been told I would have to pay for the stainless spokes and labour plus the dealer will keep the replacement spoke Yamaha have already sent to them. 
I think the original spoke are galvanised (very poorly) and I have seen more than one bike locally that is suffering from the same spoke issue. This thread has reminded me to contact my dealer to get this sorted now the lockdown has eased. 
Good or bad spokes I hope now the Uk weather is due to improve you all have fun on your T7s. 

• Like 1

I've had my bike about a year now and did notice a bit of tarnish on some of the front spokes quite early on I apply some inox or WD after each wash and it's seems to have stemmed the issue, like Hogan I'm in Australia so it's not just a "salted road" problem just Shet spokes on the T7, I've had the same issue with WR,s in the past, in saying that the B&B parts I've fitted are alloy and we're sparkling when fitted but are now totally dull from acidic Ozzy mud dirt and precleaners, can't really claim warranty on that nor would I. Dull spokes, not the end of the world.

Edited by Stevoh

My spokes are corroded too.  Just like the pics here.  

....not only the spokes but the rims too! Poor quality. This is supposed to be a capable off-road  bike but mine has never been ridden on anything other than gravel. The spokes should be stainless steel. - I expected much better from one of the Japanese 'Big Four'

20210421_130718.jpg

20210421_130638.jpg

20210421_125628_011.jpg

20210421_130253.jpg

• Sad 1

Oh and by the way my T7 Rally was new in September 2020,  with less than 2000 miles  and garaged from new.

14 minutes ago, PDanger said:

Oh and by the way my T7 Rally was new in September 2020,  with less than 2000 miles  and garaged from new.

That's unacceptable.  Especially the rust on the rims.  Are you able to claim a warranty repair?

8 weeks ago I reported this to the dealer, Pheonix Yamaha - Trowbridge, that i purchased the bike from - they said that they'd forwarded the information to Yamaha. They're being vague as top whether this is in the form of a claim or inquiry. Frankly they seem disinterested. Sadly I've found this to be typical with ALL but one of the motorcycle dealers that I've purchased a new machine from. In the last two years 3 Yamahas & two Hondas.

... I've just phoned Yamaha UK and was relayed to Holland - I was told that the Yamaha UK office has closed, temporarily, but it should be open in the Autumn!!! 

Same problem here 1000 miles and corroded.

My 2015 super 10 ridden in all weathers still has shiny spokes!  

Will be reporting to my dealer!

Are you guys with rust problems riding near the ocean (salt), or riding on roads that they salt for winter driving?

I don't have my T7 yet, but corrosion scare me.

"Rust Never Sleeps" (Neil Young).

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

Where are you, hibobb? I'm Oregon. My bike made in Japan in April 2020. 3500 miles. Spokes are factory fresh, as is a pals. Some summer rides up and down the coast, no riding on roads that have been salted within months. This problem is really a mystery to me. 

14 minutes ago, ahamay said:

Where are you, hibobb?

Central Wisconsin. Lots of road salt in winter, but the first bike I get out in spring is an old XR650L. My princess bike will not come  out tell a few rains wash the roads clean.

I should be OK here, but I just been reading a lot of people that have issues. Salt spray for the oceans seem to carry inland quite a ways.

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

It can be a vicious circle with the spokes,  they are usually galvanised.  When they look tarnished or just dirty you polish/ clean them and damage the galvanising...and so it goes on.  You either accept it,  or just wipe them with an oily cloth,  or get them rebuilt with heavy duty stainless steel spokes!. I did this on my Tenere 660 and have done it on my T7 .  Even if you leave the bike filthy for a couple of weeks the stainless spokes sparkle after a wash!  Cheers,  Steve 

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Great Escape said:

It can be a vicious circle with the spokes,  they are usually galvanised.  When they look tarnished or just dirty you polish/ clean them and damage the galvanising...and so it goes on.  You either accept it,  or just wipe them with an oily cloth,  or get them rebuilt with heavy duty stainless steel spokes!. I did this on my Tenere 660 and have done it on my T7 .  Even if you leave the bike filthy for a couple of weeks the stainless spokes sparkle after a wash!  Cheers,  Steve 

Totally agree, I think if you plan on keeping the bike it's definitely worth the investment... Not ideal but then you pay 8k for the bike.. I've seen 20k Gs1200 rust on the frame after 5 months of ownership... A pair OS stainless spokes and lacing is not the end of the world. 

Aleks 

My son too owns a T7 and its the same spoke issues as me but his bike went in to sort those horrible spokes out and some other warranty issues like a rusty tank and they discovered the rear rim was not round but oval and he's only ever been on tarmac plus a really small amount of gravel so how the rim has become oval ive no idea. It is being replaced under warranty but wont be here until the earliest May which is really bad news because we cant ride together  

On 4/12/2021 at 9:30 PM, Old tenere phil said:

Thought I'd resurrect this as I have same issue with rear spokes. I haven't even had my first service yet at 550miles and rear spokes are all tarnished.

I'm sure I was told by a dealer previously that fronts were stainless but rears weren't , but after reading this I'm not sure the fronts are either.

I'm hoping to out through a warranty claim for them also. 'll update if I am successful..and hopefully get the. To fit stainless 🤞

Front & rear are cadmium plated according to my dealer .... and thereby lies the issue. They will corrode!   My dealer said to me what's the point in replacing them as they will corrode again. My thoughts are if spokes are considered a structural component that's a mighty strange attitude from a dealer - especially one who is licensed to undertake motorcycle MOTs - for non-UK residents this is an inspection that ALL road-legal vehicles must undergo in their 4th year from new. I tried to call Yamaha UK ( somewhere near Weybridge, Surrey)  but they've changed to a London number which is routed to the Netherlands. A nice Dutch lady told me that the UK office would reopen in the Autumn (this year I assume).  Not really comforting.

• 1 month later...

Mine are just as bad 2000mls on dry  roads claim going in as I had to get a new rear Disc a short time ago heavy rusted as well under warranty i,ll get steel spokes fitted then go back in another4 months if they want while warranty is on bike 

Update on my spokes is the dealer is replacing then on the 24th July but they are looking into finding me some stainless ones to save me all this time taking the bike in for replement spokes. I will have to pay for the stainless ones 😠

Cheers

• Like 1

I was offered stainless on mine and i pay labour. The dealership organised this and paid for by Yamaha 

• 9 months later...

Been following this. My bike is literally a month old with 300 salt free miles. I intend to keep the bike indefinitely. If I were to grasp the nettle and have them replaced them with stainless, what might I expect to pay?

40 minutes ago, Ghisallo69 said:

Been following this. My bike is literally a month old with 300 salt free miles. I intend to keep the bike indefinitely. If I were to grasp the nettle and have them replaced them with stainless, what might I expect to pay?

Have a look at central wheel @Ghisallo69, I’ll be approaching them when I eventually need to. For stainless spokes and keracote in gold for my rims a la 1986. Not too far from you. 

• Like 1

On 3/27/2020 at 11:43 AM, Stephen H said:

If anyone is having issues with corroded spokes either front or rear please put it here so we can try and get a picture as to how good/bad the issue is. 
If there are enough cases Yamaha may rebuild our wheels with stainless spokes. (Here’s hoping). 
I am awaiting my bike going back to the dealer for another set of rear spokes fitting. It was there not long since for a set which have not lasted more than six weeks and 200 miles. 

Mine has a bit over 5,000 miles and they care corroded. Not has bad as other make it sound, some of the spokes are starting to look ugly. Yamaha needs to definitely do something about it. My T7 has been in the shop for over a month due to problems with hard hot starts. With no idea when I'll get it back. Otherwise I would take pictures and post them.