Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tool-free seat removal

Whitey66

• 4 weeks later...

A trip to Lowe's and $1.08 (plus tax) gets it done. A couple of socket head cap screws (their part 880830, M6 x 20) gives me a toolless method to remove my seat. The 20 mm length protrudes through the bottom of the base by a few millimeters. Of course if that's not enough for you by all means, get a longer screw. When putting the rear seat back on the clearance was tight so I ground a few millimeters off the top of the cap and beveled the edge. I'm not sure that this was necessary. I'll watch to see if it tears anything on the seats underside and adjust accordingly. 

IMG_0359.JPG

IMG_0360.JPG

Haven't had a chance to try it yet as I'm away from my T7 for couple of days 😭 but looks like a great idea. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Buba said:

Haven't had a chance to try it yet as I'm away from my T7 for couple of days 😭 but looks like a great idea. 

This works a bloody charm! I also inverted the rubber grommets in the seat plastic so they sit nice on the metal units as before. 

OEM mono rack doesn't clamp the seat down like the pillion seat does but some weather strip  foam stuck on back of the plastics took care of that & doesn't interfere with pillion seat fitting. Ace!

20201122_213438.jpg

• Like 3

i know someone makes a plate to connect the two seats together then the whole seats come off with the key , ill try and find a link and post it on here

I'll be making a few stud and clips eventually till then I snapped the Allen key into the holder in the seat so it was easy to get too.20201122_163343.thumb.jpg.a5494e6603675c4d8273c315690ac376.jpg

On 11/23/2020 at 3:10 PM, Buba said:

Haha - well that'll be me there then! 😄 ... thanks for sharing it guys. 

• Like 1

YouTube - RIDER GUIDER - check out my T7 playlist and say hello 😀 

55 minutes ago, RIDER GUIDER said:

Haha - well that'll be me there then! 😄 ... thanks for sharing it guys. 

Hello there 😀 My pleasure! Thank you for awesome tip!

• Like 1

On 10/21/2020 at 3:18 AM, KippG said:

Hey guys dig this.  Just got my T7 three days ago.  My dealer said to replace those fork tube guard screws with nylon bolts and even gave me the nylon bolts...Guess what I did with those stainless bolts that I removed.  Put them upside down where the seat bolts went and they are the perfect fit with no cutting and grinding.  They rise up 1/8" above the top hats.  I even tightened them down with that stupid allen wrench provided.  Took me about three minutes and I didn't pay a penny.

Hi, which bolts have you replaced with plastic ones please ? Any pics ?

On 11/23/2020 at 5:40 AM, Buba said:

It works perfectly and it is impossible to avoid using any wrench to loosen the seat in a less complicated way. Thanks for sharing 👍

• Like 1

Teneré 700 '20

WR250R '10

On 11/25/2020 at 9:13 AM, Ol'crazy said:

It works perfectly and it is impossible to avoid using any wrench to loosen the seat in a less complicated way. Thanks for sharing 👍

you're welcome mate, these bikes are brilliant 😄

• Like 1

17 hours ago, s1imster said:

i have just done the seat hack in the video works great thanks for sharing 

You're welcome, this is what these forums are all about.  Cheers 🙂

I did the seat modification per the video above and it was ridiculously easy and works great. Actually, the thing that took the longest was getting the bolts out from doing one of the other suggested mods! I did reverse the grommets also so the sleeves mated up as before. 

Thanks for that! 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, wncrider said:

I did the seat modification per the video above and it was ridiculously easy and works great. Actually, the thing that took the longest was getting the bolts out from doing one of the other suggested mods! I did reverse the grommets also so the sleeves mated up as before. 

Thanks for that! 

Good shout that regarding reversing the grommets!  I like perfection!