Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

auxillary lights- how/ where to fit the switch

bth2

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, BMRT7 said:

Has anyone been able to figure out tapping into the high beam on this bike?

@sebti says he has but I am running into the same issue as @FAR&FURTHER  - I have a skene dimmer hooked up and functioning correctly save for being able to have my lights go to 100% with the high beam switch. You get a 12v signal from the yellow high beam wire when the switch is in low beam. 

I'm back home so I have availability of electronics... I'm working on 2 solutions:

1. Automotive relay combined with the Zener diode to prevent the feedback into electronics. Simple relay didn't worked, we tried that with Yamaha dealer.

2. Custom made LED controller based on Arduino. As this is little computer I can write code to handle the input from the headlight and then switch on/off the LEDs. It will also allow me to regulate the the LEDs effectively.

I hope to have 1) solution tested in couple weeks, if it does not work I'll start building the controller.

I'd be really happy to know how @sebti solved it.

RTW Ténéré 700, UK to India & back on Honda CB500X

farandfurther.org | YouTube | Instagram

15 minutes ago, tenerecanada said:

Just installed the Cyclops Aurora T7 specific kit this week. I ordered it with the DRL’s and the optional switch. The kit also came with a posi-tap wire allowing you to tap into the highbeam signal under the right fairing, allowing the main lights to turn on. 

5A2E401E-BE86-41F5-8428-D3DFBB6C6386.jpeg

Can you post a scan of their instructions? Which wire are they asking you to tap into? What kind of controller are they using?

I’m  not sure on the specifics of their kit but since you got the switch, you use that to activate the lights and not the factory high beam switch, correct?

14 minutes ago, FAR&FURTHER said:

I'm back home so I have availability of electronics... I'm working on 2 solutions:

1. Automotive relay combined with the Zener diode to prevent the feedback into electronics. Simple relay didn't worked, we tried that with Yamaha dealer.

2. Custom made LED controller based on Arduino. As this is little computer I can write code to handle the input from the headlight and then switch on/off the LEDs. It will also allow me to regulate the the LEDs effectively.

I hope to have 1) solution tested in couple weeks, if it does not work I'll start building the controller.

I'd be really happy to know how @sebti solved it.

Me as well. I read his blog and his wiring diagram as best as I could translate from French said he tapped the yellow wire. When I do that I run into what you described. 

Definitely interested to see how your solutions go!

Well Shet.  So it seems.

I just spent a half hour trying to make heads or tails of the Headlight assy plug with the wiring diagram.  Good thing I didn't plan to use that on this bike.  I was going to go with Cyclops T7 kit anyway.

J

Hi guys,

Sorry I am on Holliday's.

I will translate this picture of wiring when I come back home.

My solution is working well and it's as I like: simple. ;)

• Like 5

Find "mobylette rollers" on social medias ! 🙂

Update on this. I decided just to try and with @sebti diagram and..... it works! Big thanks to him for paving the way with this. I was worried about just trying it, wiring it incorrectly, and frying the electronics but if you do it exactly as pictured/described below you shouldn’t have any problems. 

Use a relay and wire exactly as shown on the wiring diagram on his website. 

Relay terminals:

-Both terminals 85 and 30 go to 12v power source. I used the 3 pin connector under the right fairing 

-Terminal 87 goes to either the + side of your lights or the trigger wire of a skene dimmer 

-Terminal 86 to the yellow high beam wire 

Edited by BMRT7
  • Like 1

On 8/11/2020 at 10:05 PM, sebti said:

Hi guys,

Sorry I am on Holliday's.

I will translate this picture of wiring when I come back home.

My solution is working well and it's as I like: simple. 😉

No idea why but your website link keeps on bringing me back to the same page which tells me to click another link...

well, It brought me back to the same page with the same click link...

image.thumb.png.82bb6dba6a609fae0db933e593604815.png

help?

Edited by TimmyTheHog

7 minutes ago, TimmyTheHog said:

No idea why but your website link keeps on bringing me back to the same page which tells me to click another link...

well, It brought me back to the same page with the same click link...

image.thumb.png.82bb6dba6a609fae0db933e593604815.png

help?

I had the same problem and had to find it, here is the correct link:

20200517104344_Moment4.jpg

Le montage d'un phare additionnel longue portée à LED sur la TENERE 700. Marque: vision X, modèle dura mini combo. Un bonheur pour rouler de nuit !

Here’s the wiring diagram as well. 

98A40ABF-133F-4EEB-A045-C256021DDEF8.png

• Thanks 1

I did things a bit differently. Fitted Rigid Ignite Mini Spots for visibility and some night-time ditch viewing and fitted the switch on a dashboard that I fabricated and mounts to the main gauge pad. I basically leave the lights on all the time.

IMG_20200608_203435 small.jpg

IMG_20200608_203447 small.jpg

IMG_20200608_203533 small.jpg

• Like 3

I think I have Yamaha disease...

I ended up going with a pair of BD Squadron Pros mounted on OEM Yamaha mounts and wired with a skene dimmer so they serve as DRLs as well. 

Now that I’ve figured out the wiring they go to 100% with the factory high beam switch. I also have a switch mounted so I can select the brightness level of the DRLs - currently set up at 10/20/50%. 

2F0046AE-968E-4E0A-8F9D-30050AC087B1.jpeg

59065D6F-B1D3-4B21-9157-F725AD35AD8E.jpeg

Edited by BMRT7
Formatting

On 8/14/2020 at 1:07 AM, BMRT7 said:

I had the same problem and had to find it, here is the correct link:

20200517104344_Moment4.jpg

Le montage d'un phare additionnel longue portée à LED sur la TENERE 700. Marque: vision X, modèle dura mini combo. Un bonheur pour rouler de nuit !

Here’s the wiring diagram as well. 

98A40ABF-133F-4EEB-A045-C256021DDEF8.png

Hi,

You can click on the "ICI" it means é here " in french.

The 86 is the yellow high beam wire. 😉

Hi Danot86, I have hit the same problem with high beam trigger wire. Gives 12 volts on low beam and 0.9 on high beam. My brain hurts now.

• Like 1

Ive got some lights I want to install, although I've fitted same to other bikes, I’m not to keen trying to find that high beam trigger wire. Anybody on the forum, who’s about to do theirs, fancy doing a install video tutorial. 😉 👍 

Hi FredBasset,  The High beam wire was easy to find after taking off the righthand side cover which exposes the radiator. It is the yellow wire in the loom which you can see I have soldered on a red wire to the yellow wire High beam.  still non the wiser as I cant get the light bar to light up because of the voltage drop when high beam is switched.  Hop that all makes sense.IMG_7720.thumb.jpg.3d915900db9c17d37e2106e20b58cd7d.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DazR said:

Hi Danot86, I have hit the same problem with high beam trigger wire. Gives 12 volts on low beam and 0.9 on high beam. My brain hurts now.

You’ll need to use a relay and wire it exactly as described and pictured above. 

6 hours ago, FredBasset said:

Ive got some lights I want to install, although I've fitted same to other bikes, I’m not to keen trying to find that high beam trigger wire. Anybody on the forum, who’s about to do theirs, fancy doing a install video tutorial. 😉 👍 

3 hours ago, DazR said:

Hi FredBasset,  The High beam wire was easy to find after taking off the righthand side cover which exposes the radiator. It is the yellow wire in the loom which you can see I have soldered on a red wire to the yellow wire High beam.  still non the wiser as I cant get the light bar to light up because of the voltage drop when high beam is switched.  Hop that all makes sense.IMG_7720.thumb.jpg.3d915900db9c17d37e2106e20b58cd7d.jpg

@DazR is correct. The high beam wire is very easy to find, @FredBasset . Pull the right side fairing and find the black plug on the right side of DazR’s photo. I recommend using a posi-tap. 

To have your lights activate with the factory high beam switch you’ll need to use a relay (you can find one at autozone for like $6) and wire it exactly like this:

Relay terminals:

-Both terminals 85 and 30 go to 12v power source. I used the 3 pin connector under the right fairing 

-Terminal 87 goes to either the + side of your lights or the trigger wire of a skene dimmer 

-Terminal 86 to the yellow high beam wire 

• Like 1

On that plug the top two slots are available.  Which (inner or outer) connect to a switched power source?
Trying to wire my Fuzeblock to it.

Thanks

46 minutes ago, Jack said:

On that plug the top two slots are available.  Which (inner or outer) connect to a switched power source?
Trying to wire my Fuzeblock to it.

Thanks

If you’re talking about the headlight connector there’s nothing on either side. It’s a 6 slot connector and only 4 are used. I personally wouldn’t tap into that for fuzeblock. 

I would use the white connector (it’s a little further back, has 3 wires, and comes capped off and taped down from the factory) or tap into the license plate wire.  

This is a pic of the headlight harness from the wiring diagram:

8663A250-52C9-49DF-AEAE-B94920122E14.thumb.jpeg.8618ab4b2a28880955d133b0b03c0432.jpeg

And this is the connector I’m talking about. There are two, one meant for the factory fog lights on the right and one meant for factory heated grips on the left. 

CA87DA4E-794A-4284-851C-6315E99CB961.thumb.jpeg.b0c162724cbc3812be210663517d4ed2.jpeg

BOTH of these plugs share the same fuse and it’s a 10 amp located under the seat. These are labeled accessory. 

Additionally there is a spare connector on the right side. It is a 2 wire connector. There is one on the opposite side of the bike as well that comes from the factory hooked up to the cigarette plug. These are also BOTH wired to the same fuse. It is only a 2 amp fuse. Located under the seat and labeled Aux. 

F4366191-61CD-4955-969A-3411F52183CD.jpeg

Edited by BMRT7
Clarity
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@BMRT7 @sebtithis is great info. Would you be able to explain how this wiring/relay configuration works? If the yellow high beam wire is putting out 12v off and goes to 0.88v on, how does the relay know which is the trigger to close the power loop (or whatever is proper technical terminology).

6 minutes ago, slakdawg said:

@BMRT7 @sebtithis is great info. Would you be able to explain how this wiring/relay configuration works? If the yellow high beam wire is putting out 12v off and goes to 0.88v on, how does the relay know which is the trigger to close the power loop (or whatever is proper technical terminology).

Honestly, no... I can't. Typically in a relay you have a low power circuit to activate the coil (85 & 86) which then closes the switched high power circuit (87 & 30). In a standard configuration the low power circuit gets power and ground.

On 8/13/2020 at 7:12 PM, Canzvt said:

IMG_20200608_203533 small.jpg

I know it's off topic, but can you show what you have behind your squeeze to mount it on that bar? 

Thanks. 

Edited by kboutelle

So the 'squeeze' is a Hondo Garage Perfect Squeeze holder with low profile mount. They can be found here - 

Screen_Shot_2019-02-03_at_5.50.11_PM_240

Comes with everything you need: (1) Perfect Squeeze Phone Mount. Fits any phone and almost all cases. Can be mounted in landscape or portrait orientation. (1) Set of our Low-Profile mounting clamps. Quickly clamps to any bar or irregular shape from .375" to 1.25" in diameter. Our unique...

I run these on my S10, T7 and WR450 (in the bush) and the phone has NEVER moved.

Edited by Canzvt
  • Like 1

I think I have Yamaha disease...

7 hours ago, BMRT7 said:

Honestly, no... I can't. Typically in a relay you have a low power circuit to activate the coil (85 & 86) which then closes the switched high power circuit (87 & 30). In a standard configuration the low power circuit gets power and ground.

I will try but sorry for my english...

Don't forget 12v in a difference of voltage beetwen 2 points. 1 point can have 0v and 12v the other.

So 0V can be 0v on each point, or 12v on each point.

On the the T7, high beam wire ( yellow) is on 12v when it is off, and has 0v when high beam is on.

With high beam off, you have 12v on 85 and 86.

When you switch on the high beam, you have 12v on 85 and 0V on 86... So it will activate the relay and close the switch beetwen 30 and 87, and... light on auxiliary LED !! 🙂

I hope it is clear with my poor vocabulary... 😕😉

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

On 8/19/2020 at 4:18 PM, DazR said:

Without a proper wiring diagram, my assumption is the yellow wires ground is controlled by the ecu and doesn't drop the voltage all the way to zero. Instead of risking adding more draw to that circuit...I'm going to try and see if the highbeam lamp will work with the ground circuit I've added to control my Denali data dim trigger 

35 minutes ago, Danot86 said:

Without a proper wiring diagram, my assumption is the yellow wires ground is controlled by the ecu and doesn't drop the voltage all the way to zero. Instead of risking adding more draw to that circuit...I'm going to try and see if the highbeam lamp will work with the ground circuit I've added to control my Denali data dim trigger 

Wiring diagram is last page of the service manual. As best I can tell it just goes to a ground bus with a bunch of other ground wires. 

20564AF5-62C1-4107-A9F1-4469F3891F53.thumb.jpeg.5cd1892b73d31c1ed428db86d4d744c3.jpeg

85 is the high beam.