Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

auxillary lights- how/ where to fit the switch

bth2

8 minutes ago, BMRT7 said:

Wiring diagram is last page of the service manual. As best I can tell it just goes to a ground bus with a bunch of other ground wires. 

20564AF5-62C1-4107-A9F1-4469F3891F53.thumb.jpeg.5cd1892b73d31c1ed428db86d4d744c3.jpeg

85 is the high beam. 

Australian owners manuals don't come with any diagrams! 

Looked online for ages when I was installing the lights, didn't want to risk tapping into a ground bus just incase 

1 minute ago, Danot86 said:

Looked online for ages when I was installing the lights, didn't want to risk tapping into a ground bus just incase 

Here’s a link to the manual. Last pages are wiring diagram in color and black and white. A few pages before that lists what everything is. 

content-pdf-large.png

Dropbox is a free service that lets you bring your photos, docs, and videos anywhere and share them easily. Never email yourself a file again!

Edited by BMRT7
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, BMRT7 said:

Here’s a link to the manual. Last pages are wiring diagram in color and black and white. A few pages before that lists what everything is. 

content-pdf-large.png

Dropbox is a free service that lets you bring your photos, docs, and videos anywhere and share them easily. Never email yourself a file again!

Wow...this manual is comprehensive! no wonder the us bike took ages to come out 😆

29 minutes ago, Danot86 said:

Looks like all the ground junctions are controlled by the ground bus on the ecu. Lower right side of #32 on the diagram. The red and yellow wire on that same side controls the pass function for the high beam. Damn with I had this info 2 months ago when I was fitting the lights. 

Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/21/2020 at 4:37 PM, sebti said:

I will try but sorry for my english...

Don't forget 12v in a difference of voltage beetwen 2 points. 1 point can have 0v and 12v the other.

So 0V can be 0v on each point, or 12v on each point.

On the the T7, high beam wire ( yellow) is on 12v when it is off, and has 0v when high beam is on.

With high beam off, you have 12v on 85 and 86.

When you switch on the high beam, you have 12v on 85 and 0V on 86... So it will activate the relay and close the switch beetwen 30 and 87, and... light on auxiliary LED !! 🙂

I hope it is clear with my poor vocabulary... 😕😉

Perfect explanation.

I wired up a test harness with a spare relay to check it out. And ordered a Skene controller right after, ha! 

• Premium Member
On 8/21/2020 at 10:37 PM, sebti said:

I will try but sorry for my english...

Don't forget 12v in a difference of voltage beetwen 2 points. 1 point can have 0v and 12v the other.

So 0V can be 0v on each point, or 12v on each point.

On the the T7, high beam wire ( yellow) is on 12v when it is off, and has 0v when high beam is on.

With high beam off, you have 12v on 85 and 86.

When you switch on the high beam, you have 12v on 85 and 0V on 86... So it will activate the relay and close the switch beetwen 30 and 87, and... light on auxiliary LED !! 🙂

I hope it is clear with my poor vocabulary... 😕😉

This is very interesting! I've tried this with the Yamaha dealer (with different relay) and we failed. The headlight and dash was confused at times and I had high-beam indicator on and no high-beam and so on.

I have to try this simple solution from @sebti as my solution described bellow is 100% overkill if his works!

Why:

I need 12v signal to ADVMonster LED controller so I can run LEDs at 10% and only on high beam on 100%.

Solution:

I've build simple controller which measures current whole headlight unit is using and I'm switching on the current level when it rises when I turn on high-beam. This is non-invasive solution as I'm not tapping YELLOW wire at all but I'm measuring current on the BROWN 12v input instead.

Components:

1. 12V -> 5V convertor to power the components

2. 5V Current measure module (gives signal when Amps reach certain level)

3. 5V relay which switches high load 12V (input to my LED controller)

I've put together harness so I don't need to cut any cables which is plugged into headlight connectors as you can see on pic 3.

Controller gets power from switched 12v connector on the bike.

From my harness the BROWN cable goes to controller to measure.

Controller relay switches the 12V which goes to the LED controller.

It works well and there is no possibility of feedback into ECU or other bike systems, but of course if @sebti solution works it's super overkill.

At the moment this is very rough prototype I'm testing. It can be made much smaller and cheaper and waterproof if it survives the Dinaric rally.

IMG_2125.jpeg

IMG_2127.jpeg

IMG_2128.jpeg

• Like 2

RTW Ténéré 700, UK to India & back on Honda CB500X

farandfurther.org | YouTube | Instagram

• 4 weeks later...

Well I've no idea why wiring the relay the way described in this thread to the yellow high beam wire works.......but it does! Lightbar now comes on with the high beam. Result!

• Like 2

• Premium Member
On 9/11/2020 at 2:09 AM, DazR said:

Good job.  Just need to get a large diameter heat shrink and seal it to waterproof it.

Waterproofing will be done casting it in expoxy... but I'm now going to test the simple relay approach as it seems to be reported to work nicely and that will make my solution.... obsolete 🙂 as simple is better.

• Like 1

RTW Ténéré 700, UK to India & back on Honda CB500X

farandfurther.org | YouTube | Instagram

• 2 weeks later...

Although I’ve read the threads on aux lights installs, I see that some have been successful with the full beam trigger wire, but I still don’t understand how to wire in the relay. 

Ive contacted my dealer and Denali, but dealer can’t help and Denali haven’t as yet replied. I thought Denali would’ve been able to help, as they have a T7 project bike, with various Denali product fitted. 

So, I was wondering, is anybody able to give a Lay Person guide, for the Full beam trigger wire Relay connection install,  for those that don’t understand wiring diagrams. 

If anybody can help, I’m sure it wont just me, who will be very grateful from your kindness.  

Cheers

Yeah, the relay trick works and is simple. I had previously tested the relay trigger when I had the side panel off to confirm before ordering the Skene controller. I sketched the wiring diagram as helpful reminder once dealing with all of the wires, so install was straightforward. Took about an hour from start to finish, but that's because I had a few mishaps along the way. Beer AFTER not BEFORE 🙂

PXL_20201015_013046572.NIGHT-0000.png.099730a4d9c3aa1a3ecc91ecd9c44049.pngPXL_20201014_204455224-0002.png.a3d0995f40fc91b32426fae71010de57.png

PXL_20201014_204442984-0001.png.c068d134d34c1cfea2b33dbefe97017e.pngPXL_20201014_232332645-0003.png.e08d7b7c132260bdfd0677cd770727c9.pngPXL_20201014_234043841.NIGHT-0004.png.4dc768fadba18d20523028f7c7dc29a6.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There' a little flat spot below the tank where I was able to put the velcro for the Skene controller. And a perfect bolt to attach the relay. Overall I'm happy and it's mostly tidy tucked under the side fairing.

InkedPXL_20201014_233129776.NIGHT-0000_LI.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for that Slakdawg, good job on your installation. Thank you for taking the time to post you info, I’m sure this will help others. 

The LED light kit I have, is the Denali 2.0 S4, with the DataDim relay controller 50% low and 100% high. So I’m wondering if the Skene controller is not needed. If this is the case, then is it just a case of using a relay, the Denali kit has a White wire for switched live and a  Blue wire for the 12v high beam trigger wire. So I assume I just run the Blue high beam trigger wire to a relay and run the bikes yellow high beam wire to the relay as well. With Two live 12v wires to the relay as well. 

Does my diagram look right, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

ACD8CABD-7158-427A-89D1-4D3470764B94.jpeg

5E5A83C9-4069-41D8-AFDC-0A72C5D6C493.jpeg

Edited by FredBasset
  • Like 1

@FredBasset

Correct, in your case, the DataDim replaces the Skene controller. They effectively provide similar functionality.

Your diagram looks accurate to me.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, slakdawg said:

@FredBasset

Correct, in your case, the DataDim replaces the Skene controller. They effectively provide similar functionality.

Your diagram looks accurate to me.

That great and very much appreciated Slakdawg. 👍 I hope to install it this Sunday if I get time, or the following weekend. But thanks again for helping out a dumb home mechanic. 😉🤪👍

@FredBasset

I'm probably going to install the Denali 2.0 S4, with the DataDim relay controller as you have discussed.

Could you tell me what items you bought. Is it the DENALI S4 2.0 TriOptic LED Light Kit With DataDim Technology (DENDNL.S4.10000) plus the DENALI 2.0 DataDim Dual-Intensity Controller or did you buy the items separately?

The complete kit appears to include a long wiring harness and a switch that I presume is unnecessary if you use the controller.

I returned my 2.0 S4 kit, as the S4 kit comes with the basic wiring harness, unlike other Denali kits like the D4 etc.  I have ordered individual parts, as I wanted the Premium harness, which allows the standard on/off switch to be swapped out, for either the off/low/high, or the switch eliminator plug to be used (the kit S4 switch is hard wired and can’t be removed or swapped out).

So I have ordered:

2x S4 LED Pods

1x Premium harness

1x low/high/off switch or switch eliminator plug

Already have this from a previous bike, 1x 2.0 DataDim dual intensity controller relay 

• Like 1

Hi there, new to the forum and trying to decide whether to order my T7 with aux lights installed.  Does anyone know if the factory accessory PIAA lights are activated by a separate switch, or do they come on with the headlights at startup?  I believe they are just plugged into the open accessory port connector, but would like to be able to control them separately from the headlights.  My dealer wasn't sure, as they have not done this yet with the T7.

Edited by Mnpracing

On 10/20/2020 at 1:47 PM, Mnpracing said:

Hi there, new to the forum and trying to decide whether to order my T7 with aux lights installed.  Does anyone know if the factory accessory PIAA lights are activated by a separate switch, or do they come on with the headlights at startup?  I believe they are just plugged into the open accessory port connector, but would like to be able to control them separately from the headlights.  My dealer wasn't sure, as they have not done this yet with the T7.

It has a switch. The switch is ugly. 

C1C5518D-C375-4670-A662-F6A37C54B4D0.jpeg

Thanks to FredBasset and the others that contributed to this.  I was able to get mine working.  Just make sure that you have an Open relay, I had one already, but it was closed and didn’t help.  No thanks to Twisted Throttle, as they never even responded to my support request.

• Like 1

Hi FredBasset did the relay work ok with the Denali S4 as l was going to buy the s4 until I found out here there was a problem with the high beam as l want the switch eliminator plug and no handle bar switch 

• Like 1

Yo ye Old Man, yes it does work. I just spent the day today, removing fairing and fuel tank, then doing the install. I’ve used one of the aux power sockets in the fairing area to give me switch 12v feed to the relay, using a male/female connector I had from my old AT days. I’ve used the on/off switch that came with the Denali Premium wiring harness, as the 3 way off/low/high switch that I ordered from my dealer didn’t come (they sent a sound bomb harness!). I mounted the switch with the 3M double sided tape, to the side of the instrument panel. It’s there, so I can still switch the spots off if needed. I haven’t completed reassembling the bike yet, but here are a few snaps of my install. 

I’m using modified Yamaha spot light mounts, with the Denali S4 on its side. I prefer the way they are set further out, but I can’t adjust the angle for beam height, so need to get these modified. Not sure if Denali intended them to be mounted like this, but the light are a circular spread, so I guess you only have to get them set so they don’t dazzle  oncoming vehicles. 

1FDE58F2-BF16-4C6E-9638-0DC30FCB0979.jpeg

5CDA326C-6658-4CA0-8B73-5087083C0613.jpeg

767C2592-DC49-4901-B30E-1541E1C77955.jpeg

CBC37178-6A94-4299-B020-B416F1FA4A90.jpeg

4903FE5D-4F6B-4614-99E9-72B6B6CAE9AD.jpeg

8E3B3104-2DC4-48EE-8E2C-5FC08CB12CF7.jpeg

Edited by FredBasset
  • Like 3

On 8/14/2020 at 12:07 AM, BMRT7 said:

I had the same problem and had to find it, here is the correct link:

20200517104344_Moment4.jpg

Le montage d'un phare additionnel longue portée à LED sur la TENERE 700. Marque: vision X, modèle dura mini combo. Un bonheur pour rouler de nuit !

Here’s the wiring diagram as well. 

98A40ABF-133F-4EEB-A045-C256021DDEF8.png

If anyone is looking at these vision X spots, I just contacted the supplier. They have a new version out: 4 x 7W. Physical dimensions are the same. 190 euros with bike harness, Europe delivery. Very tempted... 

2 hours ago, Treps said:

If anyone is looking at these vision X spots, I just contacted the supplier. They have a new version out: 4 x 7W. Physical dimensions are the same. 190 euros with bike harness, Europe delivery. Very tempted... 

Do you have a link?