Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

I bought a Camel ADV Tail Tidy, the best!

Cruizin

Yes, it is a German company.  Website unfortunately only in German...

alpha Technik - Die besten Marken für Dein Bike - Leistungsänderungen, Tuning, Motorradteile und Zubehör für Straße und Racing

• Haha 1

• Moderators

When my T7 arrived I took apart the rear brake light and sent off a bunch of photos to 12 o'clock labs to help them hopefully start working on an integrated LED taillight board. I will keep the forum posted, as I am going to hold out for an option that lets me remove the rear indicators all together. Their products have been a great success on previous bikes.

• Like 6

Riding footage: www.instagram.com/beefmoto

Message me if you are close - let's go riding!

On 6/15/2020 at 6:59 AM, MGG said:

I am looking at available options, but none of them have planned for the possibility of mounting side reflectors which are mandatory in Canada, and in some cases there is not enough room for the rear reflector.

Seems a bit expensive for bent metal. I guess I will have to look at some DIY designs and adapt.

Here are the compiled options I found (with links)

PowerBronze

Camel-ADV

Adventure-Spec

T7-Rally

B&Boffroad

R&G

Best option for now seems to be the B&Boffroad since it protects the wires and you can have it polished or painted 🙂 

I do like the @Camel ADV one since it seems simple and solid. If only Corey would add some bent metal for the side reflectors and either make it longer for the rear reflector or find a way to mount it up high over the plate light it would be best.

Never had an issue in 20+ years of riding in Canada without side reflectors!

That being said I just installed the Camel tidy last night, super solid design & it really wouldn't be hard to retrofit side reflectors onto it using stock parts.

Edited by Burner
  • Like 4

I too have the Camel on order because I need it NOW before I have a get off in the dirt and wad that microwave radar antenna clothes hanger thing that Yamaha has mounted! The Adventure-spec is totally Sano, but too bad it's weeks away.

On 5/2/2020 at 5:08 AM, TimeMachine said:

I think the best cheap tail tidy is from T7Rally.com. There are two to choose from with different angles. The issue with these is that you have to cut the original plastics and cut the number plate lead to make them fit.

https://t7rally.com/shop?olsPage=t%2Ftail-tidy

The best tail tidy but not cheap is the B&B tail tidy. I have this on my bike, it looks good, is very strong, keeps the indicators well inboard, fits well and doesn't require the plastics to be cut. Weight reduction is about 300gms. Small issue is the lead for the number plate light does not match the Yamaha plug, and although they do provide a snap connector, in my case it didn't reach so would require the old lead being cut. I have ordered a few female plugs that suit the Yamaha male plug and will fabricate something more plug and play.

tail-tidy-11_1.jpg

B&B Off Road XTZ690/ 700 Tenere Number plate holder has been designed to replace the bulky standard assembly with a sturdy, neat unit. The Tail tidy accepts the standard Yamaha blinkers and is supplied with a LED number plate light

20200502_135056.thumb.jpg.15f5d6fd573b0fa7530a4066a7efd961.jpg

20200502_135007.thumb.jpg.1dadeee2c0beea8282ba83e3f81ea256.jpg

An honourable mention goes to the Adventure Spec tail tidy. I have only seen it on this link below but the design makes sense to use the existing piece of the Yamaha tail. The design looks a bit funky though and probably would be better with a tiny number plate light and LED indicators mounted higher up and inboard.

t700_tail_tidy_01.jpg

A simple tail tidy to lift and clean up the assembly to the rear of the bike, preventing the inevitable destruction of the original tail assembly during drops.

Cool 👌🏼

On 5/7/2020 at 9:19 PM, TimeMachine said:

Do you think the PowerBronze tail tidy would last on rough roads or corrugations (washboards)? Anyone have experience with this yet?

It looks good.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, we all for the most part agree the stock tail is not aesthetically pleasing. But I have some question on the Tail Tidy's that will only be answered through time. So please those of you that are the pioneers on them please keep us informed.

1. How do they hold up over time in ruff conditions.

2. Which ones do and which ones don't offer satisfactory protection from mud, dirty snow, water and the other adverse things we all ride through.

Because I am lucky enough to live in a location where my T7 will see far more miles of dirt, streams, slush, than pavement, (I don't even know where the nearest Starbucks is) this second question is very important to me. I would hate to have a nice tidy looking bike only to arrive someplace with a muddy streak down my back.

• Like 1

Im really happy with my free tail tidy mod that i did on my bike i will be leaving it alone now, its super solid and looks great. 

20200624_162627.jpg

• Like 6

@Mr.motarded

Great looking bike, nice location. Where was it taking?

Is that Tail Tidy one of your Rubbermade creations?

Edited by UtahJack

• Premium Member

I agree with UtahJack's question,
The OEM unit, *should* provide pretty good protection from getting the mud/water rooster tail up your back when riding in wet conditions, I'm curious if the aftermarket units do that?  or maybe its a non issue?    maybe the tail alone is long enough to provide the needed protection?

Also it seems 100% of the tail tidy units are made for the oem exhaust location (ie low side exhaust, which is reportedly awful if you ever drop your bike on that side)  if you go with a high exit exhaust, like the Huzar (and others that I'm sure will come out) the exhaust will be pointed right at/through the right turnn signal location, even the stock setup touches the pipe when the signals are bouncing up and down.  

I would like to clean up the tail section some (oem reported fragility is a concern to me) but having the high exit exhaust (which I'll take over a neater looking tail tidy) prevents me from just ordering whats available right now.   

So, I'm sticking to oem *for now*

A DIY solution may be what I have to go with. 
However, the B&B and CamelADV *may* work with a set of flush-mounts..... (which I have on the way) and I like their tough as nails design.

Tazmool

• Like 1

On 6/17/2020 at 4:56 PM, Burner said:

Never had an issue in 20+ years of riding in Canada without side reflectors!

That being said I just installed the Camel tidy last night, super solid design & it really wouldn't be hard to retrofit side reflectors onto it using stock parts.

Not to rain on your parade or anything, but you do know that police started giving tickets to bicycles for not having reflectors.

I think I may order Camel's tail tidy and find another way to put reflectors on, maybe even the existing licence plate bracket that includes those huge red reflectors. Decisions, decisions. 

this one looks pretty sharp and clean

i think this is the only tail tidy kit which doesn't use stock stop lamp at this point

https://www.boano.com/prd/6308/34/porta-targa-rally-omologato

23f74aea-c930-4a3b-a643-a1019f25d607_kit porta targa rally OM 3.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MGG said:

Not to rain on your parade or anything, but you do know that police started giving tickets to bicycles for not having reflectors.

I think I may order Camel's tail tidy and find another way to put reflectors on, maybe even the existing licence plate bracket that includes those huge red reflectors. Decisions, decisions. 

No parade here... what province are you in? I’ve never heard of police giving tickets for bicycles without reflectors!

Fyi - the existing reflectors can quite easily be used, they are a separate piece from the actual plate bracket.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, troxxos said:

this one looks pretty sharp and clean

i think this is the only tail tidy kit which doesn't use stock stop lamp at this point

https://www.boano.com/prd/6308/34/porta-targa-rally-omologato

23f74aea-c930-4a3b-a643-a1019f25d607_kit porta targa rally OM 3.jpg

Uh, almost $300CDN, not including tax, import, duties... so over $350 for  a tail tidy, no thanks, even if its the best looking option. 

Edited by ScorpionT16

On 6/28/2020 at 7:34 AM, UtahJack said:

@Mr.motarded

Great looking bike, nice location. Where was it taking?

Is that Tail Tidy one of your Rubbermade creations?

This was taken in northern California.  Yeah the tail tidy uses a rubbermaid plate holder that mounts to original upper tail section. I removed all the lower stuff then mounted plate.  I had to heat tail section to change the angle some. But works great. I did a post about it in the tech section.  

• Like 3

The T7 Rally tail tidy is excellent,  and serves as a short mudguard too. It's easy to fit and the bit of plastic you have to cut is easy peasy ...it's strong too, you could probably lift the back of the bike by it!! 

Cheers,  Steve 20200531_094321.thumb.jpg.d959ba6a940a98fb36fdc022c0c026df.jpg

20200614_090203.jpg

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Burner said:

No parade here... what province are you in? I’ve never heard of police giving tickets for bicycles without reflectors!

Fyi - the existing reflectors can quite easily be used, they are a separate piece from the actual plate bracket.

I am out east in Quebec, and tickets were given in Montreal I think...

GettyImages-653884356.jpg

Jabez Adasz received a $381 ticket for not having the proper reflectors on his bike

😇

Fitted the Camel tail because; a) local for me,  b) reasonably priced for a solid piece I'm confident won't rattle off over the long haul, c) still extends the plate far enough to preserve some fender action. 

I did add my own slightly extended bit of plastic below it to keep muck off the wires, signals & my back. Enough to mount the stock red reflector below the plate.

All style points go out the window for me once your tail's cut so short you're catching spray off the rear wheel. 

inbound5903486935216503513.jpg

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Limey said:

Hey Hamerhead what turn signals you using ?

They're the yamaha LED "plus" signals. Plus referencing their added running light capacity front & back as well extra brake lights. 

(& plus $$ too) pricey units but super nice!

• Like 1

I have decided that since I want to change my turn signals it would be best to do it all at once. Since I still haven't found any to my liking, and I hope that by the time I find some, we will have some Tail Tidy's produced in the US available.

With the insanity going on over this stupid pandemic international shipping has become a nightmare all it's own, plus the added coast incurred with the shipping, prices many units too high.

I am sure that there are some US manufacturers now that the bike is here that is working on them. Heck if they still take several more weeks to come up with a production model, I still maybe getting them quicker than many of the overseas ones. Plus lets face it with the damage this shutdown has caused the US economy can use all the help it can get.