Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Mail in ECU Flashing $100 off sale sample Dyno charts

2 Wheel DynoWorks

• Supporting Vendor
11 hours ago, SociallyStunted said:

I plan on having a 2WDW reflash after I settle on a header.  Do you see any performance differences between the Akropovic and the Arrow headers?  A $300 performance difference?

Definitely not. It's less than a 1hp spread between all of the header designs we've seen so far.

• Like 3

2wheellogo.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 5/3/2020 at 11:46 PM, 2 Wheel DynoWorks said:

All of the EU and AUS Tenere 700 ECU's that we have seen so far are IDENTICAL to EU MT-07's. The serial numbers, architecture, etc are completely unchanged! This is fantastic, because that means ALL of our custom mapping for every exhaust/intake system that we've developed over the past 6 years for the FZ/MT-07's are still PERFECTLY dialed in for these T7 bikes. The engines haven't changed one bit from the FZ/MT-07's, so the performance and throttle response improvements are IDENTICAL to that of the FZ/MT-07's.

@2 Wheel DynoWorks Does this mean one could get a cheap and readily available used ECU from EU MT-07 and have that reflashed for the T7? (leaving the original ecu as a virgin spare).

• Supporting Vendor
1 hour ago, luke2152 said:

@2 Wheel DynoWorks Does this mean one could get a cheap and readily available used ECU from EU MT-07 and have that reflashed for the T7? (leaving the original ecu as a virgin spare).

No, with the release of the 2021 models they changed the ECU architecture just slightly.

-2WDW

2wheellogo.jpg

@2 Wheel DynoWorks Last question I think - is there any benefit to removing the cat material from in the stock exhaust. Either a power gain or keeping the exhaust a bit cooler (assuming one does not have to pass emissions tests of course).

• Supporting Vendor
On 10/18/2020 at 1:55 PM, luke2152 said:

@2 Wheel DynoWorks with international shipping, what does the paperwork for the tax man say? (I mean with regard to making it clear I'm not purchasing an ECU but having mine repaired).

All internationally shipped ECU's are labeled as Returned Goods with the specific note that we are returning a repaired/reprogrammed part.

2wheellogo.jpg

• Supporting Vendor
50 minutes ago, luke2152 said:

@2 Wheel DynoWorks Last question I think - is there any benefit to removing the cat material from in the stock exhaust. Either a power gain or keeping the exhaust a bit cooler (assuming one does not have to pass emissions tests of course).

Yes! The catalytic converter is the biggest restriction to the exhaust system on these bikes. 

2wheellogo.jpg

@2 Wheel DynoWorks 

OK, I got lucky and managed to buy a spare ECU with matching key and ignition unit from a T7 being wrecked here in Oz. Can I get that ECU flashed by 2WDW and have it run on my bike without changing the key and ignition over as well, or are they only operational as a matched set?

My bike has the SC Project exhaust with headers (no cat), the MWR main filter and a custom filter lid so I can run a large prefilter. The custom lid is roughly the same size opening as the MWR lid. I could provide one of these intake lids and prefilter with the ECU if that helps. Just let me know what you need.

Airbox.jpg

Airbox 2.jpg

SC Project Exhaust.jpg

SC Project Exhaust 2.jpg

Edited by TimeMachine
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TimeMachine said:

@2 Wheel DynoWorks 

OK, I got lucky and managed to buy a spare ECU with matching key and ignition unit from a T7 being wrecked here in Oz. Can I get that ECU flashed by 2WDW and have it run on my bike without changing the key and ignition over as well, or are they only operational as a matched set?

My bike has the SC Project exhaust with headers (no cat), the MWR main filter and a custom filter lid so I can run a large prefilter. The custom lid is roughly the same size opening as the MWR lid. I could provide one of these intake lids and prefilter with the ECU if that helps. Just let me know what you need.

Airbox.jpg

Airbox 2.jpg

SC Project Exhaust.jpg

SC Project Exhaust 2.jpg

woooah, that custom lid is awesome. I'm guessing it was custom made rather than available to buy? Absolutely awesome. Bet they'd sell loads of them is they were available to buy.

Out of interest, how does the bike run in this set-up i.e. open air box lid and decat headers? Guessing it runs weak (hence you're going for a remap), but does it feel faster/more responsive than standard? I have some Arrow decat Ti headers coming this week and I have the MWR lid and sponge filter.

Cheers

Rich

2 minutes ago, Rich TT said:

woooah, that custom lid is awesome. I'm guessing it was custom made rather than available to buy? Absolutely awesome. Bet they'd sell loads of them is they were available to buy.

Out of interest, how does the bike run in this set-up i.e. open air box lid and decat headers? Guessing it runs weak (hence you're going for a remap), but does it feel faster/more responsive than standard? I have some Arrow decat Ti headers coming this week and I have the MWR lid and sponge filter.

Cheers

Rich

My son designed them and prints them on a 3D printer. He has sold quite a few now on eBay. The real benefit apart from being stiff and seating better on the airbox, they fit the wide open MWR filter and take the large 4" Unifilter prefilter, a really good setup for the dust here in Australia. So far the prefilter has stopped all the dust and the main filter has remained squeaky clean.

In this setup with the exhaust and intake you can really feel the power pulses and it makes speed pretty quick. It definitely has more go even without a tune. But I am keen on the flash tune for various reasons, to help it run cooler, maybe gain a bit more power and just piece of mind in case it was running lean.  

• Like 1

Just now, TimeMachine said:

My son designed them and prints them on a 3D printer. He has sold quite a few now on eBay. The real benefit apart from being stiff and seating better on the airbox, they fit the wide open MWR filter and take the large 4" Unifilter prefilter, a really good setup for the dust here in Australia. So far the prefilter has stopped all the dust and the main filter has remained squeaky clean.

In this setup with the exhaust and intake you can really feel the power pulses and it makes speed pretty quick. It definitely has more go even without a tune. But I am keen on the flash tune for various reasons, to help it run cooler, maybe gain a bit more power and just piece of mind in case it was running lean.  

Fantastic and thanks for that and good to know about the feel of the header/filter lid combo.

I'll have a look on eBay (Australia I guess) for the filter lid your son designed. Good lad and a nice entrepreneurial flair...

Rich

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Baggey22 said:

Post an eBay link if you find that 3D printed lid 

I've not managed to find it yet....I have been looking.

• Supporting Vendor
8 hours ago, TimeMachine said:

@2 Wheel DynoWorks 

Airbox.jpg

Airbox 2.jpg

SC Project Exhaust.jpg

SC Project Exhaust 2.jpg

Whenever you're looking at using an ECU that didn't come with the bike, the most important thing to look at is the serial/part number on the ECU itself! On these bikes, if the part number on the ECU is identical to the one currently in the bike, then you're good to go. 

As for the intake, there's no need to send one off with your ECU. We've tested dozens of designs like that over the years on these engines, and the truth is that they simply don't improve performance over the stock airbox lid ONCE THE SNORKEL IS REMOVED! The only additional performance to be had on the intake side of these engines beyond a snorkel delete is a full intake replacement with pod filters or a Hordpower intake kit (which we have mapping already built for).

Just place your order on our site, send us off the ECU with a note containing your contact info and the modifications that you've made, and we'll get it flashed and sent back to you the very same day that we receive it!

-2WDW

• Like 2

2wheellogo.jpg

3 hours ago, 2 Wheel DynoWorks said:

Whenever you're looking at using an ECU that didn't come with the bike, the most important thing to look at is the serial/part number on the ECU itself! On these bikes, if the part number on the ECU is identical to the one currently in the bike, then you're good to go. 

As for the intake, there's no need to send one off with your ECU. We've tested dozens of designs like that over the years on these engines, and the truth is that they simply don't improve performance over the stock airbox lid ONCE THE SNORKEL IS REMOVED! The only additional performance to be had on the intake side of these engines beyond a snorkel delete is a full intake replacement with pod filters or a Hordpower intake kit (which we have mapping already built for).

Just place your order on our site, send us off the ECU with a note containing your contact info and the modifications that you've made, and we'll get it flashed and sent back to you the very same day that we receive it!

-2WDW

Awesome.

The real benefit of this intake is for guys that need to run a prefilter. The smaller 2.5" Unifilter prefilter fitted with the standard snorkel feels very restrictive by comparison. And removing just the snorkel is not very practical for these bikes because it lets water and dirt into the airbox.

Thanks for the tip!

• 2 weeks later...

I've been having some thoughts about going a bit of a different route with the air intake system and would like to see if anyone here has been involved in other projects similar to what I would like to try... Basically remove the air box completely. From there I have two options use an adapter plate similar to Hord for the mt07 or two pod filters. 

Both options are extreme and probable not recommended for off road use but my bike is an sm T700 and maybe it is worth it for me to chase this route. 

For tuning I was thinking to get the power vision 3 and start with a base map for intake and exhaust and see how that works out. 

@2 Wheel DynoWorksDynoWorkshave you been involved in any builds like this? Any input is highly appreciated. 

@Cruizincould you share some of your knowledge from other forums maybe there is something I've been missing in my research.

Thank you in advance. 

Aleks 

Screenshot_20201108-084230.jpg

Screenshot_20201108-082129.jpg

20201107134058_IMG_1989.jpg

• Supporting Vendor
On 11/8/2020 at 12:47 AM, Aleksandar13 said:

I've been having some thoughts about going a bit of a different route with the air intake system and would like to see if anyone here has been involved in other projects similar to what I would like to try... Basically remove the air box completely. From there I have two options use an adapter plate similar to Hord for the mt07 or two pod filters. 

Both options are extreme and probable not recommended for off road use but my bike is an sm T700 and maybe it is worth it for me to chase this route. 

For tuning I was thinking to get the power vision 3 and start with a base map for intake and exhaust and see how that works out. 

@2 Wheel DynoWorksDynoWorkshave you been involved in any builds like this? Any input is highly appreciated. 

@Cruizincould you share some of your knowledge from other forums maybe there is something I've been missing in my research.

Thank you in advance. 

Aleks 

Screenshot_20201108-084230.jpg

Screenshot_20201108-082129.jpg

20201107134058_IMG_1989.jpg

In all of our testing, the Hordpower system with the velocity stacks, plate and large filter produces the most power of any other intake system on the market. Pod filters still produce more power than stock, but fall about 2hp short of the Hordpower system.

-2WDW

• Like 1

2wheellogo.jpg

4 minutes ago, 2 Wheel DynoWorks said:

In all of our testing, the Hordpower system with the velocity stacks, plate and large filter produces the most power of any other intake system on the market. Pod filters still produce more power than stock, but fall about 2hp short of the Hordpower system.

-2WDW

Thank you for the reply, I am aiming towards pods with velocity stacks or pods without but I'm not sure what the impact is... I've seen BellissiMoto selling mwr pods with velocity stacks and they look tempting but shipping and duty is a bit of an issue... 

If I use pods straight on the intake tract would I have an issue? 

Aleks 

• Supporting Vendor
11 minutes ago, Aleksandar13 said:

Thank you for the reply, I am aiming towards pods with velocity stacks or pods without but I'm not sure what the impact is... I've seen BellissiMoto selling mwr pods with velocity stacks and they look tempting but shipping and duty is a bit of an issue... 

If I use pods straight on the intake tract would I have an issue? 

Aleks 

With their velocity stacks, you'll have nearly the same impact to performance as the Hordpower intake! You'll definitely need the ECU mapping updated no matter what setup you choose, and we have custom mapping built for all of the aforementioned options with virtually every exhaust system available on the market.

-2WDW

• Like 2

2wheellogo.jpg

• 3 months later...
On 10/27/2020 at 9:43 PM, TimeMachine said:

@2 Wheel DynoWorks 

Airbox.jpg

Airbox 2.jpg

SC Project Exhaust.jpg

SC Project Exhaust 2.jpg

@TimeMachine Have you got a link to the airbox lids your son is making? I can't find them on fleabay.

They look like the bollocks with the Unifilter prefilter!

2 hours ago, RichParkie said:

@TimeMachine Have you got a link to the airbox lids your son is making? I can't find them on fleabay.

They look like the bollocks with the Unifilter prefilter!

Thanks! Yeah they do a great job. I now have the 2WheelDynoWorks tune as well. Very nice combo.

Rather than direct you to the eBay link, you could go check out my video on the intake, and the link is provided there in the comments.

@Cruizin if this is not allowed, then kill it and I'll send a PM.

• 6 months later...

Hey @2 Wheel DynoWorks, I have been looking into doing the ECU mail-in flash service on my T700. A few questions:

1. In several comments you call for removal of stock snorkel as it is too restrictive. Considering how these bikes are typically used (I know mine is), water crossings (at least knee high) and rain riding will be frequent and I would think the risk of water getting into the intake is just too high to outweigh the benefits.... What is the estimated downside of leaving stock snorkel in (i.e . you only get 60% greater response as opposed to 100% with snorkel removed)?

2. Does ECU flash require any changes to O2 or Lambda probe? Or is it purely plug and play?

3. I replaced stock exhaust with Huzar  unit w/o db killer. Do you adjust your mapping for specific exhausts? Do I need to provide you with full setup to perform the service (stock air intake, Huzar exhaust w/o db killer etc.)? Or is your flash accounting for those variables already?

4. Is that $100 coupon still available?

Thanks!

Edited by Sobek

• 2 months later...
On 8/31/2021 at 4:47 PM, Sobek said:

Hey @2 Wheel DynoWorks, I have been looking into doing the ECU mail-in flash service on my T700. A few questions:

1. In several comments you call for removal of stock snorkel as it is too restrictive. Considering how these bikes are typically used (I know mine is), water crossings (at least knee high) and rain riding will be frequent and I would think the risk of water getting into the intake is just too high to outweigh the benefits.... What is the estimated downside of leaving stock snorkel in (i.e . you only get 60% greater response as opposed to 100% with snorkel removed)?

2. Does ECU flash require any changes to O2 or Lambda probe? Or is it purely plug and play?

3. I replaced stock exhaust with Huzar  unit w/o db killer. Do you adjust your mapping for specific exhausts? Do I need to provide you with full setup to perform the service (stock air intake, Huzar exhaust w/o db killer etc.)? Or is your flash accounting for those variables already?

4. Is that $100 coupon still available?

Thanks!

I hate leaving unanswered questions, so posting what I did and got from 2WD over the email.

1. I ended up removing snorkel, and installing K&N filter, 3d printed top with "frog skin" mesh and a basic prefilter. After looking into the airbox, I had no longer concerns with water getting through the intake - air box has drains and the individual intake stacks are about 1-2 inches from the bottom. If water gets in them now, it would get there with snorkel as well.

2. After just plugging the new ECU in, I really enjoyed the changes. But there was noticeable bogging at 5%-10% throttle. 2WD said it's due to overactive o2 sensor. I unplugged it and moved on. No, it does not through check engine light. The hesitation at low throttle is still there, but just barely.

3. They supposedly have maps done for each exhaust type. Considering how many exhaust options there are, I take it with a grain of salt...

4. Coupon - not available anymore

Overall, I am very happy. Just note that you will see a drop in MPGs - at least 10%. So while in the past I could comfortably get to 200-210 mile range, now at 180 I am starting to sweat.

• Thanks 1

• Supporting Vendor
2 hours ago, Sobek said:

I hate leaving unanswered questions, so posting what I did and got from 2WD over the email.

1. I ended up removing snorkel, and installing K&N filter, 3d printed top with "frog skin" mesh and a basic prefilter. After looking into the airbox, I had no longer concerns with water getting through the intake - air box has drains and the individual intake stacks are about 1-2 inches from the bottom. If water gets in them now, it would get there with snorkel as well.

2. After just plugging the new ECU in, I really enjoyed the changes. But there was noticeable bogging at 5%-10% throttle. 2WD said it's due to overactive o2 sensor. I unplugged it and moved on. No, it does not through check engine light. The hesitation at low throttle is still there, but just barely.

3. They supposedly have maps done for each exhaust type. Considering how many exhaust options there are, I take it with a grain of salt...

4. Coupon - not available anymore

Overall, I am very happy. Just note that you will see a drop in MPGs - at least 10%. So while in the past I could comfortably get to 200-210 mile range, now at 180 I am starting to sweat.

Just to quickly address this...

1) Yup, the removing the snorkel is never an issue.

2) Once the O2 sensor is unplugged, the hesitation issue is resolved. We've seen this enough times now to know what it is, as it is an issue on MANY of the CP2-powered engines and Yamahas garbage O2 sensors. What you're feeling is all of the additional power you have just AFTER that light throttle spot between 2-3k RPMs, hence why the front end comes up so much more easily now than it did previously, even outside of WOT.

3) For anyone questioning how often we are building custom mapping for each exhaust system available for all of the bikes that we support, I welcome folks to stop by the shop anytime! You'll see the dyno running 4-8 hours/day, every single day. Hence why we now have over 124,000 passes on our main dyno. In other words, your concerns here are completely misguided...

4) No, there is no more coupons available anymore for any of our ECU flashing, because we got sick of having to retroactively apply coupons when customers would find them after the fact. To prevent this issue and make sure everyone was able to take advantage of our ridiculously low prices for an ECU flash and proper custom mapping, I go ahead and just apply any applicable sale pricing to all of the products on our website as they're available now. This includes our upcoming Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale that we'll announce next week! 

Yes, you'll always see about a 10% loss in fuel economy with the decel fuel cut disabled and proper (not lean for emissions purposes) fuel mapping for any specific intake/exhaust system combination on these engines. More power means more fuel consumption, and there's no way around that.

• Like 3

2wheellogo.jpg

I still have the bog too, 4k rpm light throttle in town riding(when you get stuck behind someone slow) it's the same feeling as with the o2 plugged in just not nearly as bad. You are moving fine then loses power(sputters) . Haven't noticed it at any other rpm range.  I'll just deal with it because shipping cost is Ludacris.