Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Mono Seat Rack - Photos of underside

007erenet

Great job!

Do you think it will hold one gallon of gas weight? Two gallons?

I'm thing a Giant Loop Great Basin bag with an extra gallon gas behind with the appropriate anchor points. A gallon old school plastic can is a perfect fit without going all Rotopax .

An extra inch of two of height with built in tool storage would be cool for the tig guys in the house.

Best.

Thanks oldhorse! 

I don’t think I would try and carry a gallon of fuel on this just because I don’t know how much to trust it with that kind of weight. The Giant Loop bag works well because it’s also tied into the frame. 

I really like Black Dogs helo pad but I just couldn’t swing the price. I think I have about 30$ into this and it’s going to serve my needs. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/17/2020 at 8:52 PM, Fiddyone said:

1 gallon Rotopack  full of gas no problem. Yes I had to drill holes. And I wouldn't think nothing of strapping a bag of clothes on top of it.

20200923_122355_HDR.jpg

This is awesome. Ive been thinking about my set-up these days and thought about reading this post awhile back. So i did a search and found it. So glad you posted this! I have the Mono seat rack and I’m thinking I’m going to do this. Now its down to sizing. You have the 1 gallon attached. 2 gallon would probably be too big. They also have an in-between size too (can remember what it is though).  Any thoughts about your 1 gallon “size”?  Could you go bigger and be ok? I’m planing to get some soft, rack-less side bags to go over the rear fenders, with the gas tank on the mono seat rack and a medium tank bag for long day trips. Then stack a huge duffle on top the rotopack (and maybe side bags a little) for the overnight stuff. Any reason to think i cannot do this?  

2 hours ago, DT675 said:

This is awesome. Ive been thinking about my set-up these days and thought about reading this post awhile back. So i did a search and found it. So glad you posted this! I have the Mono seat rack and I’m thinking I’m going to do this. Now its down to sizing. You have the 1 gallon attached. 2 gallon would probably be too big. They also have an in-between size too (can remember what it is though).  Any thoughts about your 1 gallon “size”?  Could you go bigger and be ok? I’m planing to get some soft, rack-less side bags to go over the rear fenders, with the gas tank on the mono seat rack and a medium tank bag for long day trips. Then stack a huge duffle on top the rotopack (and maybe side bags a little) for the overnight stuff. Any reason to think i cannot do this?

It can handle it but I wouldn't go bigger than 1 gal it sounds like a lot of extra weight. The T7 can get 150+ miles out of a tank I think the most I've gone is 175 and sweating bullets. Thanks to Yamaha setting a fuel dummy light that comes on  at 130 miles. I'm sure you also saw Yamahas warning to not put more than 15lbs on the mono rack which is ridiculous cause it's mounted in place of a rear seat that could hold 150+ pounds. I mainly carry the rotopack when I'm going out on trails gas stations aren't readily available or my buddies riding a 2 gal 2 stroke and I'm the pack mule. I usually ride with the rally seat.

I have a waterproof bag to strap on top of the rotopack and have considered something like the giant loop bag or mosko  moto  bag. But I'm also trying to keep my weight down for trails.

On 11/18/2020 at 10:10 AM, JohnfromDP said:

I have a couple of questions regarding the mono seat rack; about how much room is there for a real world tool kit .  Does it make it harder to remove the front seat?   Thanks

There's quite a bit of room compared to the underseat you're replacing.  I'm about to do a video/review of this on my channel.  Will link it later.  One of the accessories I wasn't that interested in but eventually got it anyway and really glad I have.

YouTube - RIDER GUIDER - check out my T7 playlist and say hello 😀 

• 3 months later...

I got one recently and there is enough room in the mono seat to comfortably fit a motopresser mini pump.  It doesnt affect what was already stashes beneath the original seat either.

• 4 months later...
On 1/16/2021 at 9:15 PM, Mr1Wilderness said:

Thanks oldhorse! 

I don’t think I would try and carry a gallon of fuel on this just because I don’t know how much to trust it with that kind of weight. The Giant Loop bag works well because it’s also tied into the frame. 

I really like Black Dogs helo pad but I just couldn’t swing the price. I think I have about 30$ into this and it’s going to serve my needs. 

Any particular reason you would be concerned about the weight of a couple gallons of fuel? I would think that 20lbs or so wouldn't be an issue considering you used the stock seat base intended to carry a full size adult as a passenger 

I wouldn’t put 20 gallons of fuel on the solo seat unless its also strapped to the frame in order to keep the force off the latch mechanism. If I wanted to transport fuel I would use MSR fuel bottles or just fill some plastic water bottles on the go and keep them as low as possible. I ride a lot in remote Eastern Oregon and have never packed fuel, only water. 

• 7 months later...
On 10/20/2021 at 8:35 AM, Mr1Wilderness said:

I wouldn’t put 20 gallons of fuel on the solo seat unless its also strapped to the frame in order to keep the force off the latch mechanism. If I wanted to transport fuel I would use MSR fuel bottles or just fill some plastic water bottles on the go and keep them as low as possible. I ride a lot in remote Eastern Oregon and have never packed fuel, only water. 

20 pounds, not 20 gallons. 

I also prefer a fuel bottle instead of a larger plastic can but my question was more in terms of weight carrying capacity rather than fuel storage specifically.