Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Speedo error

Pockey

Hi Alex’s, I think you are right. The ABS ecm would have a certain range for the signals between both wheels to allow for different tyre sizes. With the 44/46 this was still within its range. Going to the 42/46 has exceeded that range?

After I check the gap, I will try the 42 front with the 44 rear and see if that works.

If I have no joy, I might have to make another 42 for the rear.

Disco

• Like 1

@Disco how did you verify both? Yamaha is known for having an 8-10% speedometer increase but the odometer is usually dead on and I believe there are regulations (at least here in the USA) that require it to be. 

• Like 1

Hey Alex’s, I like all the pictures of your bike, but one question?

SM bike but most of the pics are taken OFF ROAD? You need a second T700 for off road?

cheers, Disco

2 minutes ago, Adrenolin said:

@Disco how did you verify both? Yamaha is known for having an 8-10% speedometer increase but the odometer is usually dead on and I believe there are regulations (at least here in the USA) that require it to be. 

I have only verified the speedo error with gps. I’m not concerned if my bike now records 10% less km .

No policeman is going to check the odometer, and at least I can look down and see my correct speed as I ride past the radar gun.

cheers, Disco

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Disco said:

SM bike but most of the pics are taken OFF ROAD? You need a second T700 for off road?

cheers, Disco

Hahahah...do not get me started ... Mad idea i know 🙂 ... I am thinking of getting a WR250 or something similar if the Christmas bonus is ok 😛 .. 

Aleks 

8 minutes ago, Disco said:

I have only verified the speedo error with gps. I’m not concerned if my bike now records 10% less km .

No policeman is going to check the odometer, and at least I can look down and see my correct speed as I ride past the radar gun.

cheers, Disco

Ahh ok I just wanted to confirm as you said that you had confirmed both and thought that was odd. My issue wasn’t so much as you being pulled over but regulations. All good 👍🏻

Morning all, I've found time to do some ABS testing this morning.  I tried 46, 43 and 42 space rotors on the front all with 46 on the rear - and I didn't get any ABS faults. 

The 42 was spot on at 70mph and a little over at 80mph.  I'm not sure if this will throw up any future issues as my tyres wear but I'm going to leave the 42/46 combination on my standard wheels and see if I can improve the reading on my 17" wheels next.

Capture.PNG

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Disco said:

cheers, Disco

Disco,  we have now developed a cast wheel option so you can swap between 17" and 21/18" wheel options - I timed it this morning and the swap took just over 30 mins!

DSC_0324[1].JPG

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AndyJ said:

Morning all, I've found time to do some ABS testing this morning.  I tried 46, 43 and 42 space rotors on the front all with 46 on the rear - and I didn't get any ABS faults. 

The 42 was spot on at 70mph and a little over at 80mph.  I'm not sure if this will throw up any future issues as my tyres wear but I'm going to leave the 42/46 combination on my standard wheels and see if I can improve the reading on my 17" wheels next.

Capture.PNG

I would like to give thanks for your sharing of this information, which leads up to the inevitable question, "are you going to make some of these for your T7 brothers?"

Shipping shouldnt be too bad for the size.

Ah, the unltimate question! 

Unfortunatly the answer is not in my power as Alexs has been supplying me with all my development parts. 

I think he may be able to provide a price if there is sufficient interest.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2020 at 3:04 PM, Colddog said:

I would like to give thanks for your sharing of this information, which leads up to the inevitable question, "are you going to make some of these for your T7 brothers?"

Shipping shouldnt be too bad for the size.

For sale thread up and running 👍

• Like 3

On 6/2/2020 at 2:28 PM, Adrenolin said:

Checked the odometer yesterday, bike 134,1 km gps 131,2. 

What that is in % someone better at math than me might be able to calculate. 

• Like 1

If you want your speedo to read your correct speed, and are not concerned that your odo is now reading LESS- you need to buy the 42 window abs rings from @Aleksandar13.

Price for 2 unpainted to Australia around AUD$100. Took me the best part of a day to make 1 for the testing.

This is the easiest way to correct this, no need to add any electronic modules just remove the wheels and change the abs rings.

cheers, Disco

• Like 2

Odometer over read of 2.19% approx. by those figures.

You have to take into account when using GPS it is only accurate on a level road, if you are going up and down hills it will under read your actual speed and also your odometer unless it has an altimeter built in. In Australia we have 5km stretches of road marked out at 1km intervals so you can check your odometer easily and reasonably accurately.

Edited by Whitey66
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Whitey66 said:

You have to take into account when using GPS it is only accurate on a level road, if you are going up and down hills it will under read your actual speed and also your odometer. In Australia we have 5km stretches of road marked out at 1km intervals so you can check your odometer easily and reasonably accurately.

I've attached @AndyJ reading which I think is accurate, I used to get the same and you can clearly see the difference... I think it is fair to say that this is more than 2 percent...👍

Aleks 

Capture.thumb.PNG.731fcb2843bb7048179027b5e8eead5f.png

Hi @Whitey66speed was checked on a flat/straight/long road. 

ODO should now read UNDER and put less KM on ODO.

I see you are not very far from me, let me know if you want to go for a ride?

cheers, Disco

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Whitey66 said:

You have to take into account when using GPS it is only accurate on a level road, if you are going up and down hills it will under read your actual speed and also your odometer unless it has an altimeter built in. In Australia we have 5km stretches of road marked out at 1km intervals so you can check your odometer easily and reasonably accurately.

I agree about GPS accuracy on a flat road, I used a straight level road for my measurements. My GPS isn't perfect, but it's certainly closer than the speedo. 

We also have accurate marking posts on UK motorways, but so far I haven't taken the T700 on a motorway. 

I haven't checked odometer readings. 

• Like 1

On 6/7/2020 at 10:35 PM, Aleksandar13 said:

I've attached @AndyJ reading which I think is accurate, I used to get the same and you can clearly see the difference... I think it is fair to say that this is more than 2 percent...👍

Aleks 

Capture.thumb.PNG.731fcb2843bb7048179027b5e8eead5f.png

Sorry guys, I was referring to Roger's post above. I should have quoted him.

I was answering his question for the % difference of his bike odometer reading of 134.1 kms vs GPS reading of 131.2 kms which is about 2.19% over read. Not taking into account for altitude variation. Please also note, I said odometer, not speedometer.

There is an error in the 70km column, the 6 and 8 are around the wrong way - 86.5 instead of 68.5 .

Edited by Whitey66
  • Like 1

Has someone calculated with these new abs-rings, how much us the odometer error now that speedometer error is corrected?

"Eternally, unavoidably, eventually, all paths will lead to the cemetery." Sentenced

I would anticipate that if the odometer is originaly correct with the speedo reading high (which I havn't confirmed) then the speedo corrrection disc will mean the odometer reads about 10% low. 

If you are a higher than average millage rider that should not be a problem with servicing as in my experience Yamaha's are generally good for greater service intervals. 

If you are a lower millage rider then sticking to the time limits rather than millage works as well!

• Like 1

On 6/8/2020 at 2:21 PM, Whitey66 said:

Sorry guys, I was referring to Roger's post above. I should have quoted him.

I was answering his question for the % difference of his bike odometer reading of 134.1 kms vs GPS reading of 131.2 kms which is about 2.19% over read. Not taking into account for altitude variation. Please also note, I said odometer, not speedometer.

There is an error in the 70km column, the 6 and 8 are around the wrong way - 86.5 instead of 68.5 .

Thanks for pointing out the error, hopefully a corrected version is below (next set of tests will be for 17" wheels).

image.thumb.png.c417ff4f45152cbd91fd5b3d8cd472eb.png

• Like 1

My speedo is only off 2-3 mph? I did install a pirelli scorpion rally front tire, and mitas e07+ rear. Maybe that helped correct the error a little bit?

Indicated      GPS

47 mph - 45mph

62 mph - 60mph 

78 mph - 75 mph 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...