Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Front Axle Hex Tool ?

ADVUSA

Question

I noticed Rally Raid offers a Hex "inset" tool for removing the front axle.

This is a portable tool that I would use on the road.

I've never see a bike with a "Hex inset" axle nor a tool that would fit this.

What are you using beside possibly this rally raid tool to remove the axle and

can you point me to a tool for that use?

t7%20spanner%201-500x500.jpg

• Like 1

25 answers to this question

I dont have my bike yet, but looks like you don't need anything besides the tool listed above. Of course, this means that you cannot use a torque wrench to set it at the factory torque specs. But who takes a torque wrench on the road with them anyways? 

That tool is gonna be in my bag, thanks for sharing that! 

T7 front axel.jpg

The front axel takes a 19 mm Hexagon plug.  You can get em anywhere online or at auto parts stores. 

41Sb6VxUt6L._AC_SX450_.jpg

The two axel pinch bolts accept a regular 10mm socket. Loosen the/tighten the one closest to the wheel first. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Rich TT said:

It's in my bag and brilliant. Took my front wheel off and on with it. I recommend putting your wheels back on with this tool in the garage. 

That way, you can undo then on the trail! My front wheel was way overtightened from the factory. The little hex hole is for the 10mm pinch bolts. Superb tool.

Rich

Perfect Rich ! That's what Rally Raid recommended on their site with the spanner.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I have that (both) wheel removal tool too. As for the front Axle Hex if stuck then find a bolt head that fits into the hex and lock two nuts together (or weld nut to the bolt) and use a spanner on the inner or welded nut.

Think someone used hex or socket & bolt with nuts locked / welded, see below.

• Premium Member

I use a piece of 19mm hex which I drilled the centre to lighten. As seen slid on to the 19mm spanner's handle in my puncture repair setup. 27mm spanner for rear axle removal is alloy  tyre spoon combo. The  Rallyraid spanner is a nice product but I have a lot of gear to use. 

20200501_080139.jpg

• Like 2

Here is the one I made up that can undo the wheels easily when done up to the correct tension with a torque wrench. These are the photos before I welded it up but you can get the idea. It is made up of left over old sockets and spanners from one of my toolboxes. It has a slide out high tensile steel tube over the cut off spanner that slides out for extra leverage and back in for compact storage. The large socket that fits the back wheel is reversible on the tool as shown in the photo to make it more compact. I just place a piece of cut bicycle tube over the end (like a wide rubber band) to hold it all together when stored under the seat.

wheel tool.JPG

wheel tool 2.JPG

wheel tool 3.JPG

wheel tool 4.JPG

• Like 5

I looked at all the options and I figured that a multi-bike tool would be better in the long run... 

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07RY9KLWW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

image.png.d9ba8fa345ac15b8a5c1f6b96a1c99f9.png

This might be overkill, but at least I don't have to worry about it since it can be used in the shop as well with a 3/8-inch square drive ratchet or impact gun if you are muscular deficient. This way you can also help a friend in need, and that's priceless.

I would have chosen the CruzTools one at half price but shipping was a factor as well as the missing 3/8-inch square drive possibility.

https://www.twistedthrottle.ca/cruz-tools-19mm-x-22mm-axle-hex-adapter

Cruz Tools 19mm x 22mm Axle Hex Adapter

• Like 3

On 5/11/2020 at 10:10 AM, MGG said:

I looked at all the options and I figured that a multi-bike tool would be better in the long run... 

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07RY9KLWW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This might be overkill, but at least I don't have to worry about it since it can be used in the shop as well with a 3/8-inch square drive ratchet or impact gun if you are muscular deficient. This way you can also help a friend in need, and that's priceless.

I would have chosen the CruzTools one at half price but shipping was a factor as well as the missing 3/8-inch square drive possibility.

I too have this one, and have multiple bikes and all have diffrent sized axes so for me this was a no brainer, loze this tool!

On 5/11/2020 at 10:10 AM, MGG said:

I have no No Mar version of this,  it's great.   For the on bike tool kit I carry the Rally Raid tool though.  

"How rare that we can point ourselves inevitably west and go, go, go. Run out the highway and the hills. Slide our fingertips over the creases and the valleys of the impossibility that is America. You can’t grasp its vastness from a plane. It’s diversity from a map. You have to put your feet on the ground. Your hands in the dirt."   -   Zach Bowman

Factory WR450 Plug Wrench. ID fits the T7 spark plugs (with the tank off, unfortunately, and the OD fits the ID of the T7 Axle. Weighs just about nothing, and I store a screw driver in the center. Sorry, I don't have a picture.

I think I have Yamaha disease...

Went to the bolt shop and bought an extra long M12 coupling nut. Outside dimensions = 19mm. All for 60 cents.

• Like 4

I welded a 19mm and a 27mm nut together so I only need on tire wrench/spoon.

• Like 3

I determined the best way to solve this issue is to throw money at it...I purchased this kit from Eastbound in the Netherlands. It will work on both ends of the bike.

929690CD-9EA2-49EA-BB7B-826D6760D6B1.jpeg

• Like 4

Jim

The key to life is to die young at a very old age...

19 hours ago, SilverFoxUno said:

I determined the best way to solve this issue is to throw money at it...I purchased this kit from Eastbound in the Netherlands. It will work on both ends of the bike.

... nice ...  the actual cost to buy and ship to Canada is 108$+duty taxes ... Too bad I already have a kit ...

This will be  a good kit for new owners.

Here is the link: ... https://eastbound.shop/product/yamaha-tool-kit/

1 hour ago, MGG said:

... nice ...  the actual cost to buy and ship to Canada is 108$+duty taxes ... Too bad I already have a kit ...

This will be  a good kit for new owners.

Here is the link: ... https://eastbound.shop/product/yamaha-tool-kit/

Yes, it's expensive including the shipping costs, but it is small, light, well made and has all one needs to remove both wheels.

Jim

• Like 1

Jim

The key to life is to die young at a very old age...

On 11/24/2020 at 5:06 PM, SilverFoxUno said:

I splurged for this kit and am glad I did. Very small and very light. Fits under the seat with the stock tool kit (if you can call it that).

• Like 1

I was in a hurry, big trip comin, RR stuff on backorder. Whipped 'em up in 15 mins. F260D3D4-6A62-4138-80C1-126BE764B1C7.thumb.jpeg.43206093b4d06efda311f4b13a613d36.jpeg

A bit of cold galvy spray D3CF6035-0644-4BAF-BD77-C9D85FED8A90.thumb.jpeg.412b394f8c4a700cdae2ab88d5ea8248.jpegto finish the job.

Edited by concours
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 2/25/2021 at 7:43 PM, Amani said:

I splurged for this kit and am glad I did. Very small and very light. Fits under the seat with the stock tool kit (if you can call it that).

I find it a bit expensive but it's beautiful gear and when i recovered a bit from buying the T7 and what i already bought for him i probably will get this kit too ☺️

On 11/25/2020 at 5:45 PM, Peter M DK said:

My homemade tool to use with a tire iron: 

received_272570137354271.jpeg

Best idea yet!

It's in my bag and brilliant. Took my front wheel off and on with it. I recommend putting your wheels back on with this tool in the garage. 

That way, you can undo then on the trail! My front wheel was way overtightened from the factory. The little hex hole is for the 10mm pinch bolts. Superb tool.

Rich

• Like 4