Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Best crash bar?

Peter M DK

Question

I am very close to ordering a T7, but are in doubt regarding which crash bar to get. 

I am looking for the balance of style and protection. 

Which one is the best?

Currently the candidates are:

The OEM? +OEM +Looks like good protection. -Is going too high up/ugly/heavy. 

Outback Mototrek (only the lower part)? +Looks like a strong mount +Light. -Is not going high enough to protect the sides well. 

SW-Motech? I can not see how strong it is mounted. +Covers a good area. 

Any others?

Which one to go for?

I can get a good price on the OEM with the bike. 

38 minutes ago, BAM2002 said:

Did you have any delay with shipping.? I ordered a set but waiting for delivery - to the USA.

Not too bad, i think it was 3 weeks but was notified it could be longer due to covid... Good luck

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BAM2002 said:

Did you have any delay with shipping.? I ordered a set but waiting for delivery - to the USA.

mine was ordered lasts Monday. shipped today.  im expecting it at Saturday as it comes from polen.

@OU812 

do you know if the adventure spec bash plate fits with ?  as adventure spec does not know and to me it seems thy should if i look at the mounting spots.  but as you already have one maybe can shed a light on this for me ?

and if not. what do you use ?

16 hours ago, OU812 said:

I'm going to order the camel adv one soon, it's stated to fit with the bunkers.

thanks. if thats the case ill order it as well.. as i could not find if it was compatable.  but when i looked at pictures i thought it should work.

ordering one right now 😄

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CoreCass said:

thanks. if thats the case ill order it as well.. as i could not find if it was compatable.  but when i looked at pictures i thought it should work.

ordering one right now 😄

5 hours ago, CoreCass said:

ordering one right now 😄

Yes, good plan! If you look down in the compatible fit section it states heed basic and bunker! I know its a very sturdy skid plate, you can see several videos during testing. 

Cheers! 

No one has tried the Puig engine guards? They look nice to me in pictures. I need to make a buy, and these look legit, but it would be nice to know what a real user says.

• Like 1

A checked both Givi and Puig and my concern is that they are too low and will not protect the side panels. My two final candidates are Adventure spec and Heed. I am just thinking about the material, Adventure spec are from Aluminum, so it will be probably less durable and not possible to fix it by welding...

Edited by Veider

2 hours ago, Veider said:

A checked both Givi and Puig and my concern is that they are too low and will not protect the side panels. My two final candidates are Adventure spec and Heed. I am just thinking about the material, Adventure spec are from Aluminum, so it will be probably less durable and not possible to fix it by welding...

Don't forget to check the mounting points, the Frame is more desirable than mounting to the engine. and what pan fits what bar, center stand etc!

7 minutes ago, OU812 said:

Don't forget to check the mounting points, the Frame is more desirable than mounting to the engine. and what pan fits what bar, center stand etc!

Yeah, but I guess Adv. spec and also HEED are mounted just to the frame and not engine

3 hours ago, Veider said:

Heed Basic or Bunker? I think  Givi bar is lightweight, with good mounting points on the frame.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, w_popov said:

Heed Basic or Bunker? I think  Givi bar is lightweight, with good mounting points on the frame.

I mean these ones: 

Discover the GIVI accessories that best suit your taste and your needs!

HEED are defo more protecting the side panels:

YAMAHA_Tenere_700_BASIC_0.jpg

Crash bars Basic style for Yamaha TENERE 700.

I have a Rally skid plate, so I am considering just upper ones.

Edited by Veider
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Veider said:

I mean these ones: 

Discover the GIVI accessories that best suit your taste and your needs!

HEED are defo more protecting the side panels:

YAMAHA_Tenere_700_BASIC_0.jpg

Crash bars Basic style for Yamaha TENERE 700.

I have a Rally skid plate, so I am considering just upper ones.

I'm trying to decide between the Basic and Bunker crash bars too.  The basics weigh ~15lbs and the bunker model weighs ~23lbs.  It feels wrong adding that much weight to this bike, but I'd probably feel worse after dropping it a couple times without protection.  I've been lucky so far. 

Anyone tried the combo of Touratech bars (especially the lower bar) installed with the Camel ADV bash plate?  I'm sold on the Camel plate but haven't found crash bars outside TT that appear to offer greater water pump protection. 

I can vouch for the Heed's bars crash protection and strength. I went over the bars at 70-80kmph and landed hard on a downhill rough dirt track and slid for a good 90-100m. The bars saved me from any damage to the plastics/radiator area, and even the indicator wasn't damaged. The bars have moved inwards about 5mm, but it was a big get off, so I can forgive them for that.

Ride 3.jpg

• Like 9

On 10/30/2020 at 11:06 PM, tj3089 said:

I'm trying to decide between the Basic and Bunker crash bars too.  The basics weigh ~15lbs and the bunker model weighs ~23lbs.  It feels wrong adding that much weight to this bike, but I'd probably feel worse after dropping it a couple times without protection.  I've been lucky so far. 

The Heed Bunkers weigh 9kg or 19.84 lbs the basic weigh 5.5 kg or 12.13 lbs. according to heed.

• Like 1

I got adv spec on order. They're some of the lighter ones out there, and they only mount to the frame, and I think they have the best look too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CasualADV said:

I got adv spec on order. They're some of the lighter ones out there, and they only mount to the frame, and I think they have the best look too.

I was originally planning on the ADV spec crash bars too, but after reading a post about them bending in a crash I decided to go with something else. The poster said the bars flexed in the crash, causing damage to the plastics.

1 minute ago, tj3089 said:

I was originally planning on the ADV spec crash bars too, but after reading a post about them bending in a crash I decided to go with something else. The poster said the bars flexed in the crash, causing damage to the plastics.

I haven't seen that one yet. I've seen the yamaha ones that had bent in, but not the adv spec ones.

8 hours ago, LOFTYBOB said:

I can vouch for the Heed's bars crash protection and strength. I went over the bars at 70-80kmph and landed hard on a downhill rough dirt track and slid for a good 90-100m. The bars saved me from any damage to the plastics/radiator area, and even the indicator wasn't damaged. The bars have moved inwards about 5mm, but it was a big get off, so I can forgive them for that.

Ride 3.jpg

Youch!! Lucky that's all the damage that happened.  very minimal. What about ya body?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DazR said:

Youch!! Lucky that's all the damage that happened.  very minimal. What about ya body?

Battered and bruised, but still rode another 160 kms

That's quite a get off,  and not one any of us look forward to. Glad you are all good though.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tj3089 said:

Same with me. Aluminum is not a steel, ADV specs must be less durable. I will go for HEED

On 10/30/2020 at 1:34 PM, w_popov said:

Mounted Givi at my T7, satisfied so far! Same important: handguards!!! I got Barkbusters!

T7, 2019, 12.200 km. 30 % "offroad/gravel" T.E.T/A.C.T.

My experience: weight is king, my extras around 15 kg. More than enough...

Cheers from Austria!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, suppa_scoopa said:

Anyone tried the combo of Touratech bars (especially the lower bar) installed with the Camel ADV bash plate?  I'm sold on the Camel plate but haven't found crash bars outside TT that appear to offer greater water pump protection. 

I've installed the TT bars (upper and lower) with the TT Expedition skid plate. Looks like Cory's plate should work with the TT lower bars based on the TT bash plate design. The key things to consider:

1. I have the OEM centre stand and needed to extend the TT supplied bolts to 90mm to cover the lower bar mounting bolts, centre stand, and TT bash plate backing plate (separate mounting bracket that the skid plate bolts on to). It looks like Camel's plate should cover that lower bolt assembly similar to the TT plate.

2.The height of the @Camel ADV bash plate could interfere with the lower bar height (see photo). Maybe check with Cory on that. Looks like it might be close based on Camel's video and website.

These pics are on install, I've since beat them up with a few crashes and tip overs, and the material is holding up quite nicely albeit, the black paint is easily remove d. Rock solid though. Cons: heavy and expensive.

BTW, I have the Camel ABH, Tail Tidy and will buy his high exhaust when it's ready. He's making some amazing kit!

TT Bars 2.jpg

TT Bars1.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TonyB said:

These pics are on install, I've since beat them up with a few crashes and tip overs, and the material is holding up quite nicely albeit, the black paint is easily remove d. Rock solid though. Cons: heavy and expensive.

BTW, I have the Camel ABH, Tail Tidy and will buy his high exhaust when it's ready. He's making some amazing kit!

nice.. i got my heed Saturday. installed it

camel anti bobbel-head mounts..  for eu to buy his products it becomes fast expensive.  so i personally don't intend to buy to much from America. witch is a pity as he has some nice product's

my heed bunker are sturdy. and heavy. but  its not aluminium  [this is my preference]

IMG_20201102_162041.thumb.jpg.11ed10a3a1e02ed6e935a60df4dbf577.jpg

IMG_20201102_162033.jpgIMG_20201102_145424.thumb.jpg.1575b5d48c14a63dc7492b17565be8c3.jpg

Edited by CoreCass
  • Like 2