Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Best crash bar?

Peter M DK

Question

I am very close to ordering a T7, but are in doubt regarding which crash bar to get. 

I am looking for the balance of style and protection. 

Which one is the best?

Currently the candidates are:

The OEM? +OEM +Looks like good protection. -Is going too high up/ugly/heavy. 

Outback Mototrek (only the lower part)? +Looks like a strong mount +Light. -Is not going high enough to protect the sides well. 

SW-Motech? I can not see how strong it is mounted. +Covers a good area. 

Any others?

Which one to go for?

I can get a good price on the OEM with the bike. 

211 answers to this question

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Treps said:

Is the ADV Camel bashplate compatible with the Heed Bunker bars? I was looking at this solution but still struggling understanding what is compatible with what. I have the H&B centre stand. 

@TrepsThis is probably the route I'll go, but still debating over the Heed Bunker vs the Basic.  Guess I'll get the Camel gut guard now while on sale and figure the crash bars out later. 

• Like 2

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

put the stock Yamaha bars on yesterday - easy fit, decent quality.  Will let ya'll know when I fall over a few times and test em out

8 hours ago, Porsche911 said:

Givi!!

givi_tn2145.jpg

DEFENSA DE MOTOR GIVI TN2145 YAMAHA TENERE 700 19-Defensas de motor tubular especifica, negro

I really like how small they are, I guess they’re light too. Do they offer any protection to the water pump and engine cases if you tip over on a flat surface?

8 hours ago, JayD said:

I really like how small they are, I guess they’re light too. Do they offer any protection to the water pump and engine cases if you tip over on a flat surface?

17 hours ago, Porsche911 said:

Givi!!

givi_tn2145.jpg

DEFENSA DE MOTOR GIVI TN2145 YAMAHA TENERE 700 19-Defensas de motor tubular especifica, negro

I really like this ones but I have the Rally edition and I dont know if they are compatible with the rally bashplate.

Does anyone knows?

Thanks!

50 minutes ago, Alvaromx5 said:

I really like this ones but I have the Rally edition and I dont know if they are compatible with the rally bashplate.

Does anyone knows?

Thanks!

not sure, you can look at the pics and maybe tell though - they clamp to the fake frame rails - the givi instructions show it. I could take a pic with the camel gut guard if that would help.

Mike

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, JayD said:

Me gusta mucho lo pequeños que son, supongo que también son ligeros. ¿Ofrecen alguna protección a la bomba de agua y las cajas del motor si se vuelca sobre una superficie plana?

Hy JayD!

They offer the same protection as the OEM if you fall on a flat surface, they are very light.

Regards from Barcelona!

• Thanks 1

Did SW motech make a running change to their design?  I installed mine about 8 months ago- and they look like this pic.  I was checking out their webpage for ideas about mounting lights, and it seems to show an entirely different design.  Am I confused?  Doesn’t this new style look sparse compared to the old one???

Here is the link on their webpage for what looks like the new style

sbl_06_593_10001_b_7_xl.jpg

Protects you in case of emergency. SW-MOTECH crash bars combine the highest quality and function. Designed to match the Yamaha MT-07 Tracer.

image.thumb.jpeg.ace3563e8c66dda50a7555447d862b24.jpeg

1 hour ago, open1mind said:

Did SW motech make a running change to their design?  I installed mine about 8 months ago- and they look like this pic.  I was checking out their webpage for ideas about mounting lights, and it seems to show an entirely different design.  Am I confused?  Doesn’t this new style look sparse compared to the old one???

Here is the link on their webpage for what looks like the new style

sbl_06_593_10001_b_7_xl.jpg

Protects you in case of emergency. SW-MOTECH crash bars combine the highest quality and function. Designed to match the Yamaha MT-07 Tracer.

image.thumb.jpeg.ace3563e8c66dda50a7555447d862b24.jpeg

The first picture is for the MT 07 not the Ténéré 700. 

• Like 1

I'm usually able to throw some part of my body beneath the bike just before it hits the ground.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stevoh said:

I'm yet to purchase the RADIATOR PROTECTION MODULES, packaging is from recycled PET bottles with mauve crepe paper.

Probably should have included an installation video, sorry bout that.

Looks good on your bike! Does it come in different colours? 
Would Velcro work for installation?

On 12/16/2020 at 10:26 AM, JayD said:

Anyone installed these lower crash bars from Motea? Or the full ones?

A71F191E-4E47-4C05-ACA3-ED3D9667C6C0.jpeg

Nope I fitted Hepco  & Becker but I like the look of those.

On 12/16/2020 at 10:26 AM, JayD said:

Anyone installed these lower crash bars from Motea? Or the full ones?

A71F191E-4E47-4C05-ACA3-ED3D9667C6C0.jpeg

These look not unlike the hepco becker, I'm looking for an engine crash bar that fits with B&B bash plate??

Motea website doesn't show an option for shipping to Australia unfortunately.

Edited by Stevoh

9 hours ago, Stevoh said:

As for colours, just mission brown, it's timeless, but wow Velcro huh! I was gonna run with electrical tape, definitely got me thinking there...could be a good question for the forum... Velcro v Electrical tape?

Nothing says “ADV cred” like classic mission brown, well played Stevoh, well played.

On 5/13/2020 at 7:51 PM, Peter M DK said:

I am very close to ordering a T7, but are in doubt regarding which crash bar to get. 

I am looking for the balance of style and protection. 

Which one is the best?

Currently the candidates are:

The OEM? +OEM +Looks like good protection. -Is going too high up/ugly/heavy. 

Outback Mototrek (only the lower part)? +Looks like a strong mount +Light. -Is not going high enough to protect the sides well. 

SW-Motech? I can not see how strong it is mounted. +Covers a good area. 

Any others?

Which one to go for?

I can get a good price on the OEM with the bike. 

What did you end up buying?

Hi, guys! It's my first post  here. My brand new T7 is sleeping in my dealership for the winter. Now, I'm asking myself many questions about bars and did my homework about differents choice. My idea since the beginning is to give a try to the Heed crash bars because of the shape and attachement point. I really like the heed bunker but  they are adding a lot of weight in comparaison of the basic heed ... I know the weight is low but still there. I can see the advantage when the bike is falling to protect the side cover of the engine as a pivot point. I would like to install it with the B/B bash plate but don't see anybody installed it on their t7 with the bunker bar.  My question is for guys who installed the heed bunker bar. Is't worth it compare to the addition of weight? Thanks for your infos

3 hours ago, Mogens said:

What did you end up buying?

Hey Mogens, 

Welcome in the T7 club. 

I got a good price on the OEM crashbar, so I have that on my T7.

I think it looks better in real life then on photos. 

/Peter M

Hi, guys! Happy New Year!

Choosing crash bars wasn’t easy, but at the end I decided on Hepco & Becker. I’ve got also their engine guard and center stand.

Hope my pictures will be of some help. Sorry, for some reason they were automatically rotated in a way different from the original. 🙄

2B3213DB-A966-44C0-8043-A68C12B7FAC4.jpeg

C80BE115-70D9-4759-9926-28ADCD64DAC2.jpeg

4CC2A55B-DAF0-48CA-9104-97BD8A372B6E.jpeg

A347DA51-2B2F-4EC8-B07B-FBC0E306904F.jpeg

E7F4BF6F-9FE0-48B3-9B89-15F02D3DFDB3.jpeg

9A34717E-F171-48CC-A0FD-48056730005C.jpeg

58BF7693-5CD3-4ABF-AEEF-F412A7540E5A.jpeg

Edited by Vesso
  • Like 2