Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Best crash bar?

Peter M DK

Question

I am very close to ordering a T7, but are in doubt regarding which crash bar to get. 

I am looking for the balance of style and protection. 

Which one is the best?

Currently the candidates are:

The OEM? +OEM +Looks like good protection. -Is going too high up/ugly/heavy. 

Outback Mototrek (only the lower part)? +Looks like a strong mount +Light. -Is not going high enough to protect the sides well. 

SW-Motech? I can not see how strong it is mounted. +Covers a good area. 

Any others?

Which one to go for?

I can get a good price on the OEM with the bike. 

So I finally decided on the Givi bars as many others have because of the smaller "footprint." I do like how the cross bar threads inside of the headers and out of the way but unfortunately, this also  worked to my disadvantage. I am running a Leo Vince full exhaust system with headers, which I am very happy with. The voice in my head was skeptical when ordering the Givi's and I held my breath, because these are the bars I wanted, but... the wind has just been stolen from out of my sail. The very last part of the install is the cross bar and when I got it in - it sat pressed firmly up against the back of the LV headers. NO JOY. I may try and give Givi US? a call and see if they have a solution but I think I know the answer to that one. Bummer. Oh well, back to the drawing board on which bars I want on the T7.

Anyone want to buy some new but test fitted Givi crash bars? Lol

Edit: I wanted to add that I did think of putting a relief in the cross bar by flattening it a bit in my buddies press but unfortunately the left header pipe sits all the way over in the offset bend. No joy, again. 

Edited by JohnnieBoy

Has anybody fitted Touratech upper bars to Euro5 model with stronger OEB bash plate? I want to fit it to my rally. Touratech support said that they havent tried so they cant confirm it to me.

Hey everyone, 

Here is a pic of my knee against the SW Motech crashbars. I measure 1m89cm and I do not wear knee protection on the pic.

Tchuss,

Eric 

DSC_0049.JPG

• Thanks 1

I'm looking at which crash bars to choose. Have seen this same problem @freeride shows above:  the SW Motech bar interferes with your knee, sitting.

Seems like that would make it a no-go. I'd hate to buy a set and find out I don't like them.

Anyone have these and has a different experience, like they work okay for you?

The Dirt Racks bars may have the same issue, at least according to one report.  Anyone have those and can say?

I just mounted up the SRC upper and lower crash bars. They are very well made and the install was very simple due to the excellent fit with the bike - NO trouble lining anything up.

I can confirm that there is no interference standing or sitting. They work just fine with my Camel skidplate. I'm not sure if they are the best crash bar, but they seem to be a solid product. The only problem I found is that they obstruct access to the lower side panel screws on both sides - not completely, though. I just needed to use a wrench instead of a bit driver to remove the lower screws.

Dave

Just installed a set of the Adventurespec crash bars. They are crazy light, couldn't believe it when I picked them up.

Very simple to install, seem to be nice and rigid. I don't expect crash bars to be indestructible and wanted something light. I wasn't interested in adding 25lbs to the front of the bike.

So far I'd recommend them for anyone looking at a lightweight option.

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

On 5/13/2020 at 11:48 AM, Cruizin said:

I'm told that the SW mototech is not very good. I'm hearing that the Touratech and adventure spec bars are both pretty good and strong. 

Skid plate, the Camel ADV plate that  is the best I've seen , and is on sale now. Also, the ACD racing plate looks good too.

Where or what did you hear bad about SW motech? I'm leaning towards them at this point

On 8/31/2021 at 10:21 PM, vagrant318 said:

Where or what did you hear bad about SW motech? I'm leaning towards them at this point

I am also interested in knowing the reason for the bad review.

1 hour ago, delirium said:

one mounting point of sw-motech crash bars is directly to the engine, not good....

How big of an issue is that? The engine block is a stressed member of the frame, so it must already be able to take quite a beating. If you are going to bolt crash bars to the frame it will damage the frame which will need replacing. If you damage the engine it will also need replacing. Which is most likely to be damaged by a crash? Which is more expensive and time consuming to replace?

20 minutes ago, Stabilo_Boss said:

How big of an issue is that? The engine block is a stressed member of the frame, so it must already be able to take quite a beating. If you are going to bolt crash bars to the frame it will damage the frame which will need replacing. If you damage the engine it will also need replacing. Which is most likely to be damaged by a crash? Which is more expensive and time consuming to replace?

not really, engine as a stress member does not take any beating, it's just  some gradual stress over larger area. 

Crash bars instead can take a direct, pointed  hit,  which can chip the alu engine. 

BMW had problem like this in 1200GS where they mounted skid plate directly to the engine, resulted in cracked block. 

Also KTM 1150 with side stand mounted directly to the engine etc etc. Accident waiting to happen. 

Edited by delirium

The rear mounting point of the SW Motech bars mounts to the frame bracket and the engine. In a big hit it might be an issue.  Other bars have a bracket that attaches to the same bracket closer to the frame, but not directly to the engine.  In a big hit it might be an issue too.

I have the SW Motech bars and they seem more sturdy than the Givi bars I had on my Transalp, the BMW bars on my 1150gs, and the Heed bars on my Vstrom.

I know I will fall down hard eventually and will report back. 😄

And just because, here is a pic from when I was installing some auxillary wiring that shows the mounting points very clearly.

20210912_105936.thumb.jpg.a79d25e4c482978895c1412af3d0e9d3.jpg

11 hours ago, transalper said:

The rear mounting point of the SW Motech bars mounts to the frame bracket and the engine. In a big hit it might be an issue.  Other bars have a bracket that attaches to the same bracket closer to the frame, but not directly to the engine.  In a big hit it might be an issue too.

I have the SW Motech bars and they seem more sturdy than the Givi bars I had on my Transalp, the BMW bars on my 1150gs, and the Heed bars on my Vstrom.

I know I will fall down hard eventually and will report back. 😄

And just because, here is a pic from when I was installing some auxillary wiring that shows the mounting points very clearly.

20210912_105936.thumb.jpg.a79d25e4c482978895c1412af3d0e9d3.jpg

Thanks for the image. It looks like the lateral impact should load the central and lower bolts more than the rear one. In the case of a slide on the other hand could impart quite a bit of force on the engine casing. Clearly I'm not an engineer. I ordered these bars thinking that sw-motech would know what they are doing. Maybe I am too naive.

2 hours ago, Stabilo_Boss said:

Thanks for the image. It looks like the lateral impact should load the central and lower bolts more than the rear one. In the case of a slide on the other hand could impart quite a bit of force on the engine casing. Clearly I'm not an engineer. I ordered these bars thinking that sw-motech would know what they are doing. Maybe I am too naive.

Same here, but I am putting trust in german engineering. 🙂 I was born in Stuttgart, so am a little biased.

2 hours ago, delirium said:

yamaha OEM crash bars also are not safe,  when bent can destroy engine case.

Already happened for some riders.

do you have links to testimonials or images? I am really interested in this. I'm half-way between mounting crash bars and simply leaving the bike the way it is.

I bought adventure spec crash bars and went down multiple times while riding offroad. After every crash (even mild one), they bent few centimeters inwards. I did manage to bent them back, but if you crash multiple times without bending them outwards, then they get dangerously close to plastics. I have one side fairing cracked already. Considering I am still a beginner, I expect that amount of time I go down will not decrease. Will be ordering HEED crash bars as a replacement.  
To be fair, fitting  AS crash bars was easy and they are indeed light - that was my main selection criteria. 
I would recommend AS crash bars for anyone riding light or to more experienced rider. But if T7 is your first ADV bike and you plan taking it to muddy, sandy trails, then pick something more robust. 

Edited by Jiggier
  • Like 2

I went with Givi upper bars and an AXP skid plate.

I think it's a good compromise of decent protection without excessive weight.

KIMG0833.thumb.JPG.9b378d27055db44a2ec019e4f9cb8705.JPG

• Like 1

I mounted the Motea crashbars.
Feels sturdy but haven't had the pleasure to test 'm. I will but hope to do it as little as possible and not any time soon.
I have the upper and lower but don't have the lower fitted yet and i'm in doubt it will fit with the Adventure Spec skidplate.
IMG_20211009_212849_modified.thumb.jpg.e16a7e23f932b0525dcfb38652926a62.jpg

I have the Dirtracks brand of crash bar.  Not that expensive either.  I only put the crash bars on in case the bike falls over from a almost or complete stop.  They will help a bit.  For a faster crash...  insurance will have to look after any major damage.  

This is a Canadian site, there maybe other dealers around the globe too.

Yamaha Tenere 700 Crash Bar Fits model years  2020 and upDirtracks engine crash bars made from 1 inch tubing.Mounts to the frame, not the engine. Easy bolt-on installation.Comes with bolt...

• Like 1

I have tested the Adventurespec crash bars first hand, and like Jiggier stated, they bend a little with every crash.  Mine unfortunately ended up cracking my plastic on the left side of the bike (shifter side).  From what I can see, the failure in the design here (no offense meant by "failure") is the longer mounting tab on this side of the bike.  It really needs more re-enforcement on this point as it is too long of a connection to not have additional bracing.  All drops were at very low to almost stopped speeds in mud and one on packed dirt.  Its hard to tell,, but you can see where the mounting tab bent close to the bolt head in the 2nd pic and the one of it off the bike.  Also, I'm not sure why they needed to remove material in the center of such an important part of the bars (mounting tab), the bars are already so light.

EDIT:

I forgot to mention that I do love these bars, with both their design and weight being major selling points.  I just hope that they revisit the design of this mounting point.

20211030_114319.jpg

20211030_114344.jpg

20211030_114412.jpg

16358076591572105578261209255668.jpg

Edited by Mud_Butt
  • Like 2

On 11/2/2021 at 1:01 AM, Mud_Butt said:

I have tested the Adventurespec crash bars first hand, and like Jiggier stated, they bend a little with every crash.  Mine unfortunately ended up cracking my plastic on the left side of the bike (shifter side).  From what I can see, the failure in the design here (no offense meant by "failure") is the longer mounting tab on this side of the bike.  It really needs more re-enforcement on this point as it is too long of a connection to not have additional bracing.  All drops were at very low to almost stopped speeds in mud and one on packed dirt.  Its hard to tell,, but you can see where the mounting tab bent close to the bolt head in the 2nd pic and the one of it off the bike.  Also, I'm not sure why they needed to remove material in the center of such an important part of the bars (mounting tab), the bars are already so light.

EDIT:

I forgot to mention that I do love these bars, with both their design and weight being major selling points.  I just hope that they revisit the design of this mounting point.

20211030_114319.jpg

20211030_114344.jpg

20211030_114412.jpg

16358076591572105578261209255668.jpg

Replacing mine with HEED. This is how Adventure Spec ones look after few crashes

1D325E6B-EA46-45FD-B747-E9958F75EF11.jpeg

AD46F0B8-5921-4014-B3B9-EA9D86021D3B.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Exactly @Jiggier.  I'm going to use an aluminum mig spool and see if I can remedy this with a triangle piece in this long mounting point and I'll report back..  This is something they should've done from the start.  Are they on this forum?

@Peter M DKThe OEM crash bars have been reported to bend into the plastics during "crashes" due to a lack of support at the furthest points of protection.  I'd go for something aftermarket, but that's only my opinion.