Jump to content
Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum
  • 3

Best crash bar?


Peter M DK

Question

I am very close to ordering a T7, but are in doubt regarding which crash bar to get. 

 

I am looking for the balance of style and protection. 

 

Which one is the best?

 

Currently the candidates are:

The OEM? +OEM +Looks like good protection. -Is going too high up/ugly/heavy. 

Outback Mototrek (only the lower part)? +Looks like a strong mount +Light. -Is not going high enough to protect the sides well. 

SW-Motech? I can not see how strong it is mounted. +Covers a good area. 

 

Any others?

 

Which one to go for?

I can get a good price on the OEM with the bike. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Recommended Posts

  • 0
9 hours ago, Stevoh said:

SRC crash bars, are they the best hmmm dunno, I'll have to crash to complete the evaluation 🤔

They look good though!

IMG_20210409_185130292.jpg

IMG_20210423_164329204_HDR.jpg

Do you have the upper and lower bars or just the upper?

 

Mike

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

Just the upper, unfortunately the SRC lowers won't fit with the B&B bash plate, there is a chance to fit Hepco becker lowers, I'm still working it out to see if it's possible

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
Posted (edited)

So I finally decided on the Givi bars as many others have because of the smaller "footprint." I do like how the cross bar threads inside of the headers and out of the way but unfortunately, this also  worked to my disadvantage. I am running a Leo Vince full exhaust system with headers, which I am very happy with. The voice in my head was skeptical when ordering the Givi's and I held my breath, because these are the bars I wanted, but... the wind has just been stolen from out of my sail. The very last part of the install is the cross bar and when I got it in - it sat pressed firmly up against the back of the LV headers. NO JOY. I may try and give Givi US? a call and see if they have a solution but I think I know the answer to that one. Bummer. Oh well, back to the drawing board on which bars I want on the T7.

 

Anyone want to buy some new but test fitted Givi crash bars? Lol

 

Edit: I wanted to add that I did think of putting a relief in the cross bar by flattening it a bit in my buddies press but unfortunately the left header pipe sits all the way over in the offset bend. No joy, again. 

Edited by JohnnieBoy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

Has anybody fitted Touratech upper bars to Euro5 model with stronger OEB bash plate? I want to fit it to my rally. Touratech support said that they havent tried so they cant confirm it to me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

Hey everyone, 

Here is a pic of my knee against the SW Motech crashbars. I measure 1m89cm and I do not wear knee protection on the pic.

Tchuss,

Eric 

DSC_0049.JPG

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

I'm looking at which crash bars to choose. Have seen this same problem @freeride shows above:  the SW Motech bar interferes with your knee, sitting.

 

Seems like that would make it a no-go. I'd hate to buy a set and find out I don't like them.

 

Anyone have these and has a different experience, like they work okay for you?

 

 

The Dirt Racks bars may have the same issue, at least according to one report.  Anyone have those and can say?

 

 

.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

I just mounted up the SRC upper and lower crash bars. They are very well made and the install was very simple due to the excellent fit with the bike - NO trouble lining anything up.

 

I can confirm that there is no interference standing or sitting. They work just fine with my Camel skidplate. I'm not sure if they are the best crash bar, but they seem to be a solid product. The only problem I found is that they obstruct access to the lower side panel screws on both sides - not completely, though. I just needed to use a wrench instead of a bit driver to remove the lower screws.

 

Dave

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

Just installed a set of the Adventurespec crash bars. They are crazy light, couldn't believe it when I picked them up.

 

Very simple to install, seem to be nice and rigid. I don't expect crash bars to be indestructible and wanted something light. I wasn't interested in adding 25lbs to the front of the bike.

 

So far I'd recommend them for anyone looking at a lightweight option.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
On 5/13/2020 at 11:48 AM, Cruizin said:

I'm told that the SW mototech is not very good. I'm hearing that the Touratech and adventure spec bars are both pretty good and strong. 

 

Skid plate, the Camel ADV plate that  is the best I've seen , and is on sale now. Also, the ACD racing plate looks good too.

Where or what did you hear bad about SW motech? I'm leaning towards them at this point

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
On 8/31/2021 at 10:21 PM, vagrant318 said:

Where or what did you hear bad about SW motech? I'm leaning towards them at this point

I am also interested in knowing the reason for the bad review.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
1 hour ago, delirium said:

one mounting point of sw-motech crash bars is directly to the engine, not good....

How big of an issue is that? The engine block is a stressed member of the frame, so it must already be able to take quite a beating. If you are going to bolt crash bars to the frame it will damage the frame which will need replacing. If you damage the engine it will also need replacing. Which is most likely to be damaged by a crash? Which is more expensive and time consuming to replace?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
20 minutes ago, Stabilo_Boss said:

How big of an issue is that? The engine block is a stressed member of the frame, so it must already be able to take quite a beating. If you are going to bolt crash bars to the frame it will damage the frame which will need replacing. If you damage the engine it will also need replacing. Which is most likely to be damaged by a crash? Which is more expensive and time consuming to replace?

 

not really, engine as a stress member does not take any beating, it's just  some gradual stress over larger area. 

Crash bars instead can take a direct, pointed  hit,  which can chip the alu engine. 

 

BMW had problem like this in 1200GS where they mounted skid plate directly to the engine, resulted in cracked block. 

Also KTM 1150 with side stand mounted directly to the engine etc etc. Accident waiting to happen. 

Edited by delirium
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

The rear mounting point of the SW Motech bars mounts to the frame bracket and the engine. In a big hit it might be an issue.  Other bars have a bracket that attaches to the same bracket closer to the frame, but not directly to the engine.  In a big hit it might be an issue too.

 

I have the SW Motech bars and they seem more sturdy than the Givi bars I had on my Transalp, the BMW bars on my 1150gs, and the Heed bars on my Vstrom.

 

I know I will fall down hard eventually and will report back. 😄

 

And just because, here is a pic from when I was installing some auxillary wiring that shows the mounting points very clearly.

 

20210912_105936.thumb.jpg.a79d25e4c482978895c1412af3d0e9d3.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
11 hours ago, transalper said:

The rear mounting point of the SW Motech bars mounts to the frame bracket and the engine. In a big hit it might be an issue.  Other bars have a bracket that attaches to the same bracket closer to the frame, but not directly to the engine.  In a big hit it might be an issue too.

 

I have the SW Motech bars and they seem more sturdy than the Givi bars I had on my Transalp, the BMW bars on my 1150gs, and the Heed bars on my Vstrom.

 

I know I will fall down hard eventually and will report back. 😄

 

And just because, here is a pic from when I was installing some auxillary wiring that shows the mounting points very clearly.

 

20210912_105936.thumb.jpg.a79d25e4c482978895c1412af3d0e9d3.jpg

Thanks for the image. It looks like the lateral impact should load the central and lower bolts more than the rear one. In the case of a slide on the other hand could impart quite a bit of force on the engine casing. Clearly I'm not an engineer. I ordered these bars thinking that sw-motech would know what they are doing. Maybe I am too naive.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
2 hours ago, Stabilo_Boss said:

Thanks for the image. It looks like the lateral impact should load the central and lower bolts more than the rear one. In the case of a slide on the other hand could impart quite a bit of force on the engine casing. Clearly I'm not an engineer. I ordered these bars thinking that sw-motech would know what they are doing. Maybe I am too naive.

Same here, but I am putting trust in german engineering. 🙂 I was born in Stuttgart, so am a little biased.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
2 hours ago, delirium said:

yamaha OEM crash bars also are not safe,  when bent can destroy engine case.

Already happened for some riders.

do you have links to testimonials or images? I am really interested in this. I'm half-way between mounting crash bars and simply leaving the bike the way it is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Our Friends

Tenere across the USA

Tenere 700 Forum. We are just Tenere 700 owners and fans

Tenere700.net is not affiliated with Yamaha Motor Co and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of ea individual author and do not represent Yamaha Motor Co or Tenere700.net .

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.