Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Best crash bar?

Peter M DK

Question

I am very close to ordering a T7, but are in doubt regarding which crash bar to get. 

I am looking for the balance of style and protection. 

Which one is the best?

Currently the candidates are:

The OEM? +OEM +Looks like good protection. -Is going too high up/ugly/heavy. 

Outback Mototrek (only the lower part)? +Looks like a strong mount +Light. -Is not going high enough to protect the sides well. 

SW-Motech? I can not see how strong it is mounted. +Covers a good area. 

Any others?

Which one to go for?

I can get a good price on the OEM with the bike. 

15 hours ago, Toppie said:

I was looking at the smaller top section when browsing their website but,  I would consider the one you have if I can find out whether the bottom fouls the front cross bar or not.

Also, postage might be a factor.

Motea's postage is cheap to Ireland.

I think the CAT will be in the way of the bottom bars cross member.

I'll see if I can find out from Motea.

Checked the postal office and it appears to be €31 to ship to Ireland.

On 2/17/2022 at 4:07 PM, RedStrom said:

Thanks for the great offer.

But I like the Heed bars more.

So I just ordered them.

Same... I just recently saw the Heeds in person. They are built like a tank,  and very well engineered. I bought them immediately after that interaction. 

1 hour ago, Ray Ride4life said:

Checked the postal office and it appears to be €31 to ship to Ireland.

@Ray Ride4life   Regrettably, I think I'll have to pass on that offer.

I was looking at Motea's smaller top section but,  if the bottom protector would've fitted my bike I would have taken the two from you.

The bottom cross member wont allow it to fit though. Cat Convertor!)

Motea will send me a top section for €115 including shipping.

Sorry it didn't work out.......It would've been a bargain.

Riding faster than everyone else only guarantees you'll ride alone.....        

2 hours ago, Toppie said:

@Ray Ride4life   Regrettably, I think I'll have to pass on that offer.

I was looking at Motea's smaller top section but,  if the bottom protector would've fitted my bike I would have taken the two from you.

The bottom cross member wont allow it to fit though. Cat Convertor!)

Motea will send me a top section for €115 including shipping.

Sorry it didn't work out.......It would've been a bargain.

No worries, if it doesn't work it doesn't work.

Hopefully someone else wants it.

Installed the Heed crasbar (upper only) today.

Quick delivery, very well packed and protected.

Good instructions.

Seem very solid and the weight was not that much. Close to 3-3,5 kg.

The paint can be scratched a bit to easy I  found when removing the protective tape with siccors.

The bike does not feel heavier.

Only 1 remark. The lower of the 3 T30 holding the fairing is now almost behind the crasbar.

I have a T30 that can be turned with an Allen wrench, so I will manage. But is not 100%.

Now I hope I'll never have to use the crashbar.

Although I guess that is wishful thinking 🙂

• Like 1

On 1/29/2022 at 8:55 PM, RedStrom said:

What would have been damaged if there was no lower part?

It looks like the skidplate would have taken the whole beating.

In general, are lower parts a must have?

I would use the Heed basic without the lower part.

Although the extra weight 2,5-3 kg of the bunker will be located close to the engine and will not be noticed.

Choices, choices.

I would say the bike would have been trashed with extensive damage to the plastics and engine casings, water pump/clutch cover plates.  Also, one of the design flaws of the T7, the location of the exhaust, reared it's ugly head and I had to replace the exhaust, which was pretty beat up and by being bent inward, did wear some material off the swing arm as I limped home (I'm sure you can find photos of this on the www.) I think my bars also reduced some of the damage to the rear brake and foot peg.  I would NOT have faired so well if I was solely depending on the OEM skid plate which I didn't feel is thick enough to offer much protection (my background is in design, machining, casting, and fabrication of metal, so I scrutinize this kind of stuff). The skid plate alone, does not really protect the stuff that sticks out.  Place your bike (gently) on its side to visualize the points of contact to get an idea, then picture it sliding across whatever terrain at speed. Unless this is strictly a road bike for you I doubt you will ride it for very long without dropping it.  I have a Honda CRF300L that I get the off road ya yas out out of my system with and drop it just about every time I take it out.  I have attempted to make it as crash worthy as possible though.  The bike has ample performance, I would focus on protecting the bike first, then address suspension, and finally spending money (or not) on bling.

Pity there wasn't a poll on this thread, that would have made choosing as a noob easier.  I bought the SW bars myself because some hard riders I met on T7's had them and swore by them.

• Like 1

I have the Hepco and Becker upper/lower/bash plate on mine. They seem very well made and have good coverage. They are heavy, but after extensive digging around on the internet it seems all sets regardless of manufacturer are with 3-4 pounds of each other with the exception of Adventure Spec, and I’d rather have some extra weight than end up with an unfixable problem in the bush somewhere. I haven’t crashed on them yet.  I compensated weight wise by using the AS luggage racks and rear rack and will be adding a lighter exhaust. Here’s how it looks

9C8CA3F3-4C30-41F4-9F20-B0BAEE22E018.jpeg

• Like 1

On 3/11/2022 at 11:22 AM, winddown said:

Pity there wasn't a poll on this thread, that would have made choosing as a noob easier.  I bought the SW bars myself because some hard riders I met on T7's had them and swore by them.

Agreed. I removed my SW motech bars that have bent inwards from literally two no speed drops at the engine mounting tabs so I can no longer remove the fairings without loosening the crash bars. Also they may not fit with my acerbis tank. I plan to replace with either altrider lowers, dirtracks or heavy duties enduro if they ship to the US which they dont appear to unfortunately.

Edited by vagrant318

Another lower bar to consider is Hepco-Becker.  Mine held up well in a high side crash on hard pack. 

OEM.

Although I've crashed 10 times or more, the handlebar always hits first. 

So Bark busters are a must.

• Like 2