Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What helmet are you wearing lately?

Cruizin

iv got the scopion adx 1.

of course orange as im Dutch. could not let it slide 😛

its a bit loud on the highway speeds.

but its comfy. its a perfect midpriced helmet.

thinking of getting a true cross helmet for in the hot summer.  not sure what jet.

scorpion helmet.jpg

Edited by CoreCass
photo

Chiming in... Recently picked up an AGV AX9, ticked a lot of boxes for me:

• Relatively lightweight ~1.5kg or less (the full carbon model is ~100g lighter, but I avoid dark colours if possible)
  • Speaker cutouts, really important for me
  • Good airflow
  • Pinlock included
  • Massive peak, which is really effective when riding into the sun.

Was actually little concerned sail effect from the size of the peak when deciding on this. My fears have been unfounded though, little to no effect at highway speeds, you'd only feel it when doing over the shoulder checks, and even then, minimal. Seems like AGV did a good job on the aero profile of the peak... surprising, since it's a full solid piece without cutouts, but really pleased!

• Like 1

The MX-9 Adventure MIPS's advanced design and safety features can help enhance performance and fun during your ride. Shop Bell Helmets and find the right Powersports gear and more for all of your riding needs.

I ended up with this. Fits perfect in 2x on me. Just got it and haven’t had a chance to road test it yet.  I’m quite pleased with the fit and finish. 

• 2 months later...

Wife and i both run Shoei GT Air,we use them on our street bikes. Since getting T7s we still use the GT Air.

We are thinking since we replace helmets every 5 years anyway, why not get max use from these rather than having 2 helmets (Street plus ADV) and not really getting max use?

What are the real advantages of getting ADV specific helmet?

On 1/1/2021 at 1:24 AM, JimmyTheHuman said:

Wife and i both run Shoei GT Air,we use them on our street bikes. Since getting T7s we still use the GT Air.

We are thinking since we replace helmets every 5 years anyway, why not get max use from these rather than having 2 helmets (Street plus ADV) and not really getting max use?

What are the real advantages of getting ADV specific helmet?

depending on what you do.

if i know ill be traveling more road ill use my scorpion as does not make to much noice.

for demanding trips i bought a oneal sierra enduro helmet. so i can breath less  restrictive

and its lighter. how ever its loud.. you hear every thing

I've been wearing the HJC RPHA 90 modular which is an excellent helmet:  Lightweight, comfy, good ventilation, drop down sun visor, optional Sena-made integrated bluetooth headset, and high quality at a decent price.  

I just picked up a HJC DS-X1 dual sport helmet and Scott Fury light sensitive (photochromic) goggles (pictured).  For me, the only reason to wear a dual sport helmet is so I can use goggles in dusty conditions. I've only ridden in this setup for maybe 20 minutes, but seems good so far.  One downside is that you can't shut the visor with the goggles on, like you can with the Arai XD-4, Klim Kronos, and a few others (Bell MX-9 maybe).  Price for helmet and goggles was around $225 total.

20201223_112611.jpg

20201223_112618.jpg

Edited by A A Ron
  • Like 1

Shoei GT Air for me. It’s time to replace it and I was considering a 6D Helmet. I would like to find a carbon helmet with good ventilation and internal sun shield. I’ll keep looking....

I've been riding with the Arai XD4 for 5 years now and have 2 of them. My 10yo has been riding with the VX-Pro4 on his bikes for the last 2 years and said he wants the XD4 for his next helmet. Its great that you can use it open with goggles and the face shield can still drop and secure with the goggle in place. All our helmets get a Sena 20S installed plus a ProShot Chin Mount for the GoPros, Ryde Wear quick releases chin clip and a reflective black ADV Dakar decal on the back. 👍

IMG_8659.jpg

Arai XD4 Mesh Yellow ADV Dakar Black Reflective 02.jpg

Arai XD4 and VX-Pro4.jpg

I’ve been using a Shoei for years on road and I’ve used Airoh mostly off road (trials and trail) but I’ve bought a Bell to use on the Tenere..

36839D20-AB80-4858-BC9F-714D208EF789.jpeg

Edited by MagnusR

• 2 months later...

I wear an Shoei Hornet ADV, current model, I have purchased the 'Transitions' visor and this is perfect for a One Viosr solution, night or bright Sunlight, brilliant. 

The Shoei is typical immaculate Japanese build quality, I did purchase a slightly thicker set of internal pads to get a 100% perfect fitment, this is useful.

I tried Arai and shoei at my local store, I have both brands of street/race helmets and am a long time owner of both brands, in my opinion they are superb.

• 2 weeks later...

Just ordered the Bell MX-9 ADV Marauder, comes with a smoked and clear shield but i also ordered the photochromic shield. i have been riding with Bell for a while. Once you ride with the photo shield, you are spoiled and have to have it on every helmet you own. 

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/bell-mx-9-adventure-mips-marauder-helmet

Shoei Neotec 2 with the bluetooth wotsit and a Schuberth M1 open face for when it gets warm

On 5/16/2020 at 4:43 PM, Jason said:

Using the Arai Tour X myself. Bought it in Feb and before that had been sporting Shark for almost 12 years. In fact this lid is my first one outside the Shark range. 

it’s a great lid, after my research for an adventure helmet it seems to be the best out there and after buying it I can’t say I find one fault with it. Ventilation is great, field of view great (can wear goggles too and remove the visor) and one of the big ones which is noise is good too. It’s also easily one of the most comfortable helmets I’ve owned. Very happy with my purchase 👌🏼

Just bought the same lid (Arai XD4 here) ... splendid, I liken it to comparing a fast supercar such as a Lambo to a Bentley Continental.  Has all the sports plus ultimate luxury.  The fit and comfort have always been amazing with every Arai I've owned.

YouTube - RIDER GUIDER - check out my T7 playlist and say hello 😀 

On 1/4/2021 at 7:38 AM, A A Ron said:

I've been wearing the HJC RPHA 90 modular which is an excellent helmet:  Lightweight, comfy, good ventilation, drop down sun visor, optional Sena-made integrated bluetooth headset, and high quality at a decent price.  

I just picked up a HJC DS-X1 dual sport helmet and Scott Fury light sensitive (photochromic) goggles (pictured).  For me, the only reason to wear a dual sport helmet is so I can use goggles in dusty conditions. I've only ridden in this setup for maybe 20 minutes, but seems good so far.  One downside is that you can't shut the visor with the goggles on, like you can with the Arai XD-4, Klim Kronos, and a few others (Bell MX-9 maybe).  Price for helmet and goggles was around $225 total.

20201223_112611.jpg

20201223_112618.jpg

That's not a lot of money - nice one.  I reckon with some research you might find some slimmer goggles to allow that visor drop. 

YouTube - RIDER GUIDER - check out my T7 playlist and say hello 😀 

On 10/9/2020 at 5:27 AM, ch4kk said:

Chiming in... Recently picked up an AGV AX9, ticked a lot of boxes for me:

• Relatively lightweight ~1.5kg or less (the full carbon model is ~100g lighter, but I avoid dark colours if possible)
  • Speaker cutouts, really important for me
  • Good airflow
  • Pinlock included
  • Massive peak, which is really effective when riding into the sun.

Was actually little concerned sail effect from the size of the peak when deciding on this. My fears have been unfounded though, little to no effect at highway speeds, you'd only feel it when doing over the shoulder checks, and even then, minimal. Seems like AGV did a good job on the aero profile of the peak... surprising, since it's a full solid piece without cutouts, but really pleased!

Just bought one of these myself, hopefully get out this weekend and see how it performs.

Been using an AGV K3 SV on the road but I find the wind noise terrible with it. One of the reasons I opted for the AX9 was the reviews say it’s very quiet, fingers crossed.

I was pretty disappointed with the noise level at first, to be honest, but after mucking around, realised it was due to the standard T7 screen height. Put on some screen extension brackets... and it's a world of difference now! Original screen height/shape was directing wind right into my face, apparently! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/4/2020 at 3:14 AM, fozzipov said:

Last helmet I bought is Suomy mx tourer road. Weights only 1200g

02f940e8-5b1f-40be-aa55-9b1cde35f796_1.177719049df2447cc179218f90e092b0.jpeg

I bought this too because of weight. I have a bad neck and the propensity to ignore the Doctor 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm new to adventure riding.  On the road I've used Arai for the last 30 years. I'd buy the top of the range road helmet. My last one was the Roberts replica Rx7 Corsair and it was £599 in 2010. In 2019 I bought a Shuberth C4 pro with the Sena intercom system built in for £800. But my C4 gives me a terrible headache  after 3 or 4 hours of wearing it whereas the Arai was all day comfort.  Now this is my head shape and  not the helmet.  A simple try on in the shop isn't the  best way of telling long term comfort.  I think  its Arai for me in the future 

20210422_165809.jpg

• Like 1

I got a Klim Krios and was enjoying how lightweight it was for a week until the little red button to secure the excess chinstrap length broke off. Of course its under warranty but I have to send it off for repair and I'll have to use my old helmet.

Waa anybody else surprised how hard to find a lightweight dualsport helmet with pinlock and closable vents was? There seem to be like 2 options.

20210330_221129_1.gif

• Like 1