Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What helmet are you wearing lately?

Cruizin

I was trying to make a decision between the Klim Krios Pro and Arai TX4 and I've had the chance to test both. From my experience, Klim is cheaper made compared to the Arai, but the weight difference is there.

I decided to go with the Arai TX4 and it's the most amazing helmet I've ever owned. Much better then my old Schuberth S2, super comfortable and I can't feel it at all after long 8 hour rides.

8727349D-BB47-4CD7-8D97-683D304837BD.JPG

• Like 1

Bell MX9, picked the most high viz color I could find. I find the helmet noisy (when worn without plugs) and heavy, to be honest. Last helmet was a 200g lighter and a more expensive street helmet, so that might be the reason. Next helmet will most likely be the Krios. Weight on the head is annoying, and the I ride with plugs so noise isn’t too much of an issue.

AB8699D0-F94D-4FD2-9B77-D1917EA033CD.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

50 minutes ago, cstatman said:

and now I MUST put mask on my helmets.  🙂  cool

You can tell I’m fun at parties 😉 

• Like 1

I've been running an RF-1200 for the past several years now. I've always pretty much been a Shoei guy. I have an old mx helmet in a gear bag somewhere but its ancient and probably not even worth digging out. I figured I'd get a new helmet along with the new T7 and from the looks of it, along with a fair amount of you guys, I went with the Bell MX-9. I didn't want to drop $600 on another Shoei right now and when I tried on the Bell it seem to fit well enough. I don't really have any complaints, especially for $200ish. I bought a 2nd Sena base for it as I need music when I ride - always. I don't find the wind noise to be all that bad, and remember - $200... and you are riding an "adventure" motorcycle - with a tiny windscreen. Its not an FJR with a giant electric screen, people! On that note, I did switch up the windscreen on the T7 to a Puig in light smoke. It made a difference for me, but I'm only 5' 9". $$$ well spent, imo.

The white HJC is a medium, for the nicer smelling ones who ride on the back.

20210423_153020.jpg

• Like 2

I have a Schuberth E1, Klim Krios, and Shoei X2.  Loved the Schuberth until I started riding with the Klim then couldn't go back to the Schuberth even with how quiet it is.  Just got the X2 and loving it but will probably still ride with the Krios during the Summer.   

A little thread hijack, sorry for that, but I just purchased my first set of goggles (cheap Raven Strikes). Am I supposed to do something with them before using them? The vision is very blurry and distorted, almost like looking under water. No protective film is on. Just cheap goggles or are goggles like that? Thanks!

53 minutes ago, JayD said:

A little thread hijack, sorry for that, but I just purchased my first set of goggles (cheap Raven Strikes). Am I supposed to do something with them before using them? The vision is very blurry and distorted, almost like looking under water. No protective film is on. Just cheap goggles or are goggles like that? Thanks!

I have a few sets of goggles for enduro riding and they’re no different from a visor so I’d say either something is wrong with them or they have a very cheap lens fitted.

Shoe GT Air. I have other bikes and i have no need to have a special helmet for each one 🙂 

Thank you @Alan M - these are very cheap, but made by a brand that makes MX gear.. I’ll return them and buy a more known brand, it was like looking through 4-5 visors..

• 2 weeks later...

I’m kinda interested in the modular helmets, they just seem so versatile.

I ser the Scorpion modular ADV helmet is very popular. To those wearing it, are you happy with it? Is the chin bar lockable up top, so one can ride with it open if needed?

On 5/1/2021 at 8:47 AM, JayD said:

You’ve checked that there isn’t a plastic cover on the inside of the goggle? I’ve had that on a couple of goggles and was just as you described, until I found the bugger 🙈

• Like 1

On to the topic at hand..

I’m in the market for a new lid and would appreciate some insight.

Currently I’m running a Touratech Aventuro Mod (Slightly modified Schuberth E-1) which is crazy comfy, but struggle to fit regular goggles.

I’ve been looking at the Bell MX-9 Adv mips and Airoh Commander.

I’ve discarded the Krios Pro as I can’t justify crashing with an $800 lid.

I’ve tried both on (only in the shop as I played cager) and both fit good, the Airoh pressed a bit on the top of the ears but not a dealbreaker (I can always trim the foam if it doesn’t break in good)

I’m also in need of fitting the Cardo Packtalk Bold.

Thomas

• Like 1

On 10/9/2020 at 5:27 AM, ch4kk said:

Chiming in... Recently picked up an AGV AX9, ticked a lot of boxes for me:

• Relatively lightweight ~1.5kg or less (the full carbon model is ~100g lighter, but I avoid dark colours if possible)
  • Speaker cutouts, really important for me
  • Good airflow
  • Pinlock included
  • Massive peak, which is really effective when riding into the sun.

Was actually little concerned sail effect from the size of the peak when deciding on this. My fears have been unfounded though, little to no effect at highway speeds, you'd only feel it when doing over the shoulder checks, and even then, minimal. Seems like AGV did a good job on the aero profile of the peak... surprising, since it's a full solid piece without cutouts, but really pleased!

second all the points above, bought one an AGV AX9 myself a few weeks back as an alternative to the AGV K5 i also have as the K5 was really noisy being used on the Tenere.

much more pleasant with the AX9, even with the standard screen without the adjustor brackets.

On 5/12/2021 at 12:33 AM, JayD said:

I’m kinda interested in the modular helmets, they just seem so versatile.

I ser the Scorpion modular ADV helmet is very popular. To those wearing it, are you happy with it? Is the chin bar lockable up top, so one can ride with it open if needed?

I have the Scorpion EXO modular for a couple of years, wear it a lot. The chinbar does not lock in the up position. I have a Caberg modular helmet that does lock in the up position and I find that to be a horrible feature as I would never ride with it that way. The locking mechanism on the Caberg works so well that when I accidently lock it, I have to take the helmet off in order to unlock it, hence my sour opinion of that feature.

The reason I bought the Scorpion EXO is for the feature set. I wanted all the features: Flip-up, peak, and most importantly - internal drop-down shade. I would love to have an Arai XD4 because I think it's one of the best helmets but it doesn't have the internal drop-down shade and I'm spoiled for that feature.

As for fitment, I wear a medium helmet. Cranium circumference is 21-5/8ths inches (54.8cm), medium oval shape. The EXO generally fits well except I find it tight on the cheeks. I don't have pudgy cheeks or a wide jaw. Noise level is acceptable, by comparison, not as quiet as my Shoei Neotec first gen. Ventilation is barely adequate. 

I wear glasses and it's much easier putting glasses on and off with a modular helmet, though if the XD4 had the internal shade, I would give up the flip-up.

• Thanks 1

@BoondockerThanks for the thorough reply. I’ve ordered one and it should be here today. Will be my «adventure-touring helmet».

I had a drop down visor on my previous road helmet, and it was amazing, so practical!

• Like 1

Fitted the cardo and test wore it at home. It feels like a 600€ helmet. Everything is tight, well made and the modular mechanism functions perfectly!

Now I just need a GS and three more kids..

63EF0950-CEE7-4AB6-9057-FDE540FBC30D.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Myself and two other guys I ride with wear Scorpion AT950. Loving the modular with the drop down sun visor feature. Makes gas station stops easy peasy. The other guy wears a Bell MX-9 and we like to give him the gears every time he has to squeeze his giant melon into his non-modular. Two thumbs up for the Scorpion.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

JayD, keep an eye on the screws the chin bar pivots on. They will loosen, as they are barely more than finger tight. I lost one on a trip and had to remove the shield and chin bar for the rest of my journey. Thank god for the sun visor. I will be checking those screws  every morning from now on.

I have a Nolan N104 for the winter (commute and other A to B rides) and when i have a job as traffic controller because the open face works better when interacting with traffic when you stop or direct them.
For the summer and offroad i have an Arai X4 tour with quick strap goggles.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I use the Airoh Commander and Strycker, all depending on weather and type of riding being done 🙂
Really loving these.

16:20 in for commander

Strycker

I have a Caberg Tourmax modular helmet. It has a peak, sunvisor, flip up chin (lockable)and pinlock and it is cheap! Perfect helmet for me!

caberg-tourmax-matt-gunmetal.jpg

caberg-tourmax-matt-gunmetal (2).jpg

caberg-tourmax-matt-gunmetal (1).jpg

• Like 2

Like @Mickeyboy, I’m arai through and through, but the tourX4 is the noisiest helmet I’ve ever worn. Especially on this bike. With good earplugs. I’ll get a road arai next, for normal use, and maybe a cheaper bell for off road. 
peaks are handy for one day a year the sun is in my face I wales. And shades will work then. Not to mention the drag from it at motorway speeds. 

I'm looking for a new cold weather helmet, want a flip up with peak this time.

The Arai is not the finest in cold and/or rain and the Nolan is 6 years old so up for change.

Hope i found something before my trip to North Cape.