Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What helmet are you wearing lately?

Cruizin

HJC i90 Modular. Not because I particularly liked it or anything. I just have a really big head. The 5XL fits perfectly. Every other helmet I tried didn't even squeeze over my temples. 😑😬🤦🏻‍♂️
The upper venting works decently well and keeps my head from being overly hot. The forward venting is somewhat negligible in effectiveness because my visor and/or glasses fog up like crazy if I don't keep the visor cracked open when it's muggy or wet out. The helmet is fairly quiet in clean air but extremely noisy in the buffeting air off of my T7 windshield. I'd give it's rain performance a solid 9/10, if we ignore the whole fogged up glasses thing. I've ridden in a downpour, including stop and go traffic in Helen, GA, and my head stayed dry. All in all, a decent helmet.

• Like 1

"What the hell's a 'farkle'? Oh... I... have all the farkles." 😑🤦🏻‍♂️

I just picked up a Shoei Neotec 2 as my first modular, with a big part of that street-type modular decision being an upcoming Alps tour where I know I'll be talking at stops a lot with my friends who all wear modulars. Flipping up that front to talk, sip water, refuel, etc., vs taking off the helmet seems like a convenient thing to do.

While on a recent trip, by chance I stopped at a dealership who happened to have all four of the modulars I'd been considering: Neotec 2, Schuberth C5, HJC i90 and Scorpion AT960. I was pleasantly surprised to find each model felt very good on my intermediate oval head for the few minutes I wore each, and I spent that time checking out each helmet's details and features. I'd already read a lot online about each helmet, and because quiet was one of my prime considerations (I always wear good earplugs while on the bike and hearing aids when off, and am still very sensitive to noise) in the end I decided on the Shoei.

Because I learned a long time ago you never know until you ask, I inquired if they ever ran sales on their helmets and was told "No, but I'll take 15% off which ever one you choose". Sold! 

Pretty disappointed with the first ride, as wind noise in the Neotec was much louder than in my six year old Touratech Adventuro carbon (a rebranded Nexx Adv helmet). Putting a hand across the top of the shield made the most difference in noise level, so once back home I noticed that when closed there was a relatively large gap across most of the shield's top span. No mention in the Shoei manual or online that I could find on any possible adjustment of the Neotec's face shield, but after removing the shield I found that when each side's shield attachment/pivot mechanism T20 torx screw was loosened the mechanism could indeed be moved within a limited range. After eliminating the top gap, the Neotec noise level is now on par with my old helmet - making me realize and appreciate how relatively quiet the Touratech has always been.

Now that I've used the Neotec 2 on several rides, I really like it while appreciating the buckle mechanism (first non D-ring helmet I've ever owned), the internal dark shield and the flip-up modular feature. The weight difference between the carbon helmet I'm used to and the Shoei hasn't been an issue for me.

• Like 2

For the price I couldn’t resist - comes with a pin lock attachment as standard

• Like 1

I am still wearing Shoei X14s for the street but recently added a Shoei RF1400. I also bought a HJC DS1 to use on my DRZ400 off road and have used it a few times on the T7 I just bought. Seems like an ok Dual sport helmet. I installed a Cardo headset so I can use it the same way I use all my street helmets with tunes and phone connection. I am not a fan of the Dual sport type helmets on paved roads for any distance, the wind up under the visor is terrible at speed. Way better for off road use though.

That’s pretty good I ordered it yesterday at 10:30 and delivered in just over 24hrs

very nice

D540BD3F-B878-4E5D-ADD6-AC67A95958B4.jpeg

E0FBFF3A-036A-4D48-88D6-E382431E76D6.jpeg

• Like 2

On 4/21/2023 at 6:29 AM, Lewie said:

Liked my Ls2 Evo I’ve just bought the carbon version for a bargain £180

414C04BA-FA11-4589-B9D6-320907D0FECD.jpeg

where did you find that bargain?

• 2 months later...

Shoei RF700 on a cold day

Fly List on a hot day (earplugs required)

"ADV  ONE DROP AT A TIME " - Chronicles of Solid

Scorpion exo tech. Ece 22.06 flip back. Had to order from Europe cause it's not the way outdated DOT. $300. Love it! 

Coming from street-only bikes and having my first off road experience on a training next weekend I opted for a street helmet, the Arai Quantic:

arai_quantic_helmet_face_grigio_2.jpg.4e7711ce057c5392ac33949858ef6616.jpg

It's supposed to be very safe (22.06 rating), comfy, cool, very quiet, and indeed it is if I'm standing up. If I'm sitting down with the original windscreen in front I get massive buffeting. Luckily it's the €150 screen, not the €700 helmet that causes this 😅

To get a bit of the 'offroad peak' experience (and also to block out the sun) I went with their "innovative" sun visor:

pro-shiled-chaser-v.webp.aff335b88229a80a33f80266b2586b23.webp

Edited by leclerq
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

I think my head must be cursed. 

I'm trying to find a good quality ADV lid but nothing seems to fit me.

Scorpion ADF 9000 Air and Nexx X.Wed both gave me a hotspot at the rear of the head.

Shoei Hornet X2 pressed into my ears in a way that I still feel it 2 hours after taking it off.

Now I'm thinking to maybe pick up an Arai XD4. But there is a new model coming soon and not sure if it'd smarter to wait. And I'd honestly prefer a helmet with an internal sunvisor. It's just so convenient to have in mixed weather. 

Also hoping for Shoei to release a new Hornet soon...

Edited by OK185

• 4 weeks later...

I've been using the Neotecs for a while now. Had the first one, then a Neotec 2 for the last five years. I was hoping to replace it with a Neotec 3, but it's not available in North America, so I gave the LS2 Advant X a try. It's only been a couple days, but it's so much better than the Neotec 2. Why?

• It's lighter
  • Being able to pivot the chin bar to the back really balances it out when it's open
  • It accommodates glasses much better
  • The foam and fitment of an intercom is better. The foam pads not only snap in, but they snap in and then move upwards, essentially locking them in
  • The chin bar doesn't pinch my beard
  • Not really related to the helmet itself, but it comes with a tinted visor, helmet bag, and a backpack to carry it in
  • All of this for much less than the Neotec

Basically this helmet has actually evolved and incorporates new, interesting features that are immediately noticeable.

• Like 2

advgoats.com

• 3 weeks later...

I have been using the Arai VX-Pro4 for the last couple of years. I wouldn't go back to the XD4 or similar.

They are a little noisy but earplugs fix that.

arai-vx-pro4-1.webp

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

Nexx X.WED2

Mine is plain-titanium, my lady's has a little more color. We both have the same size so I can switch helmets 😉

I once lost the chin wind guard. That item is poorly fixed to the helmet. But I'm satisfied at all with the helmet. No carbon fibre.

I'm used to weight since my first Bell Star II back in the 70's. That sucker is still watching me from a rack in my office. In case of very high temperatures I'll put on another helmet, a new Bell Custom-500.

nexx-x-wed-2-plain-titanium-1.jpg

Nexx-X-Wed-2-Columbus-Mattschwarz-grau-blau.jpg

Bell_Custom500-1.jpg

• Like 2

Went thru the motions of looking for one that fits my head and its been a terrible six months of trying and trying and trying. With a really small market here in NZ, stocks seem to be the bane for being able to try something that fits your head. Either the size isn't available or the model is available or the dealer wants a deposit to even order in a helmet for trial.

Anywho, for the longest time I used the Bell MX9 Adv, which has come up on its 5 year mark so really had to push the envelope to find one.

Head shapes are such a pain when it comes to helmets, the brand you want probably isn't your choice. But finally found something that fits my head, is pretty quiet for an adv helmet and looks fantastic in this current colour scheme

- Scorpion ADF 9000 AirIMG_5650(1).JPG.5081cb5e535464f359d2b9025b35fc61.JPG

• Like 4

Meet BigBlu - 2022 Tenere 700 | Yamaha OEM chain guide | Yamaha OEM crash guard | Givi Rear luggage rack | Givi BN42 top box | Black Widow 300mm Hexagonal exhaust | Acerbis High Fender | Windscreen risers | ProTaper Evo low handlebar | Oxford Integrated heated grips | Upshift Retro Speedblock Blue graphic kit | QuadLock wireless charger | BarkBuster Storm Handguards | Mitas E07+ rear tyre | Shinko E804 front tyre | MotoMount Radar screamer & LED visual alert | Custom half tail tidy kit |

On 11/10/2023 at 2:54 AM, Ede-DE said:

Nexx X.WED2

Mine is plain-titanium, my lady's has a little more color. We both have the same size so I can switch helmets 😉

I once lost the chin wind guard. That item is poorly fixed to the helmet. But I'm satisfied at all with the helmet. No carbon fibre.

I'm used to weight since my first Bell Star II back in the 70's. That sucker is still watching me from a rack in my office. In case of very high temperatures I'll put on another helmet, a new Bell Custom-500.

nexx-x-wed-2-plain-titanium-1.jpg

Nexx-X-Wed-2-Columbus-Mattschwarz-grau-blau.jpg

Bell_Custom500-1.jpg

Do what you want but in case you don't know It is not recommended to switch helmet between individuals, although you have the same size each head shape is unique and can deform the inside of a helmet causing it to not fit as well as it should.   

• Like 1

I’m overdue for a new off-road helmet. Still rockin’ my ancient HJC CS-X4. Added Scott Fury goggles & Quick Strap.

After 8 years with a Shoei RF-SR full-face helmet for highway use, I lusted for a modular. I settled on a Schuberth E2 after finding a good price on Chrome Burner. I dressed up the solid white with some graphics.

The E2 picked up a battle scar in the 3rd week of ownership. A passing truck kicked up something heavy that smacked my chinbar.

Build quality is excellent and fit is great for me. I like the drop-down visor. The modular function is everything I’d hoped-for – easy one-hand operation and locks solidly. I’m tempted to get a cup holder for the FJR!

The neck strap is positioned too far back for me, so that it presses lightly on my throat. The strap is covered with a comfortable pad, so If I don’t cinch it down too hard, it feels OK.

The removable peak works as expected and is generally solid in most situations, but it vibrates when riding my FJR due to the windshield being too low, causing turbulence to hit the top of my helmet. I’m working on solutions to move the airflow higher. In the meantime, when riding the FJR, I simply remove the peak, which works fine. On the dirt bikes with no/low windshields, the peak slices smoothly through the air.

Overall. I’m pleased with the E2. It would be nearly perfect if the front opening was large enough for goggles. As it is, I still need a dirt-bike helmet.

HJC Burn CS-X4 Fury LS Goggles Quick Strap.png

Schuberth E2 - Right Side - All Closed - No Peak.png

Schuberth E2 Left side - Visor Open - Bar Closed - Peak High.png

Schuberth E2 Right Side Closed Peak Low.png

'21 Tênêrê 700, '20 WR250R, '18 FJR1300

The fact that there's a Highway to Hell and only a Stairway to Heaven should tell you something about anticipated traffic.

1 hour ago, Bugs said:

I’m overdue for a new off-road helmet. Still rockin’ my ancient HJC CS-X4. Added Scott Fury goggles & Quick Strap.

After 8 years with a Shoei RF-SR full-face helmet for highway use, I lusted for a modular. I settled on a Schuberth E2 after finding a good price on Chrome Burner. I dressed up the solid white with some graphics.

The E2 picked up a battle scar in the 3rd week of ownership. A passing truck kicked up something heavy that smacked my chinbar.

Build quality is excellent and fit is great for me. I like the drop-down visor. The modular function is everything I’d hoped-for – easy one-hand operation and locks solidly. I’m tempted to get a cup holder for the FJR!

The neck strap is positioned too far back for me, so that it presses lightly on my throat. The strap is covered with a comfortable pad, so If I don’t cinch it down too hard, it feels OK.

The removable peak works as expected and is generally solid in most situations, but it vibrates when riding my FJR due to the windshield being too low, causing turbulence to hit the top of my helmet. I’m working on solutions to move the airflow higher. In the meantime, when riding the FJR, I simply remove the peak, which works fine. On the dirt bikes with no/low windshields, the peak slices smoothly through the air.

Overall. I’m pleased with the E2. It would be nearly perfect if the front opening was large enough for goggles. As it is, I still need a dirt-bike helmet.

HJC Burn CS-X4 Fury LS Goggles Quick Strap.png

Schuberth E2 - Right Side - All Closed - No Peak.png

Schuberth E2 Left side - Visor Open - Bar Closed - Peak High.png

Schuberth E2 Right Side Closed Peak Low.png

If you like wearing an MX style helmet I can highly recommend Oakley Air Brake goggles.

I had been using Scott for many years and didn't realise how much pressure they put on my nose.

The Oakley are a far superior fit ( on  my bugle ).

• Like 2

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

• 4 weeks later...

Santa dropped by a bit early. First go with an XD4 . No idea how it rides yet, but the fit & obvious quality kinda put the old Klim Krios to shame. Suspect that will be relegated to strictly dirt use with this new beauty as an option.  Weight difference is noticeable in hand but the only thing lighter than the Krios is DH mountain bike lids. Never was a fan of the Klim’s two shell sizes resulting in bobble head & it’s had multiple issues from the get go that were more than disappointing given the cost. This rig actually feels & looks like a more relative value to it’s (still ridiculous) price 

IMG_4944.jpeg

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Hammerhead said:

Santa dropped by a bit early. First go with an XD4 . No idea how it rides yet, but the fit & obvious quality kinda put the old Klim Krios to shame. Suspect that will be relegated to strictly dirt use with this new beauty as an option.  Weight difference is noticeable in hand but the only thing lighter than the Krios is DH mountain bike lids. Never was a fan of the Klim’s two shell sizes resulting in bobble head & it’s had multiple issues from the get go that were more than disappointing given the cost. This rig actually feels & looks like a more relative value to it’s (still ridiculous) price 

IMG_4944.jpeg

That is a sweet helmet. I have a Shoei head so I have the Hornet. I will tell you the Arai is a gold standard in helmets. the weight and balance is going to give you lots of comfort for long miles in the saddle. Very customizable with pads as well.

• Like 2