Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

should I choose the Tenere 700?

Beano05

G'day everyone,

I'm new to motorcycling and I will have my full unrestricted licence by the time the T700 is released. I currently ride an MT07  and I use it to commute to work, (120km round trip per day). My mates own BMW GS 1200s, and talk about some off road tracks on some trips they do, and I would love to go on these rides too. Realistically my on road to off road ratio would be 90:10 or 80:20 at best. I really like the T700 as it looks smaller, lighter and more easier to handle than those big BMW gs's. With the correct tyres for my style of riding, would this bike be a good commuter with the benefits of go anywhere when needed?

cheers

36 minutes ago, Beano05 said:

G'day everyone,

I'm new to motorcycling and I will have my full unrestricted licence by the time the T700 is released. I currently ride an MT07  and I use it to commute to work, (120km round trip per day). My mates own BMW GS 1200s, and talk about some off road tracks on some trips they do, and I would love to go on these rides too. Realistically my on road to off road ratio would be 90:10 or 80:20 at best. I really like the T700 as it looks smaller, lighter and more easier to handle than those big BMW gs's. With the correct tyres for my style of riding, would this bike be a good commuter with the benefits of go anywhere when needed?

cheers

For 90% on road I would just get an MT-07 or Tracer 700. Same engine, but more suited for road use. 

The Tracer700 is better suited for trips over the MT-07, better element protection and better rear sub frame set up for cargo... For 90%+ road use either will suffice- quite a few MT-07 forum users have done transcontinental trips( nice smooth dirt roads- no trails/goat tracks/mx stuff, they just put decent suspension on) ...

If your gonna spend way more time or think about it in the future going off road- the T-7 will be a better choice over the MT/Tracer-700 as it's suited outta the box more...

• Like 1

2012-WR250F...2015-FZ-07(Hordpower edition 80whp)...2015- FJ-09 Graves Exhaust Woolich Tune/Kit 120whp

• 1 year later...
  • Premium Member

You mention 80:20 ratio, I’d say that what the Pirelli tyres on the true Dual Nature T7 are. Yup, commutes great! MT-07 is tiny bike. The engine you already know commute not problem. T7 screen and better suspension and taller wider handle bars make it easier handle on and off road and good in traffic too.

Would recommend the T7 because it’s a fantastic all-can-do bike.
You could choose a bit more road orientated tyres for example if you do only a little Bit off-road. I had a R1200 GS 2014. It was an awesome Road bike with the OEM Tyres Metzeler Tourance Next. Still a great Tyre... 

Edited by bikeever

If you like the t7 and are comfortable with the price get it... Its a capable bike on and off road and you will be happier with the t7 rather then the mt07. 

Aleks