Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Dropped the bike already!

TheStig

Luckily i recently fitted R&G engine protectors to my new T7 as i stupidly managed to drop my bike today onto a very low brick wall. As you can see from the first pic, the engine protectors took the brunt of the damage but they did their job perfectly, as the engine casing itself survived without a single mark on it! The bike fell pretty heavily and i don't think regular crash bars would have saved that particular part of engine from as much damage as these did. The second pic shows how the rear pegs also dug into the brickwork & in doing so, stopped the exhaust system from further damage. Whatever you choose to protect your investment, it's never too early to purchase it, as i've only just had my first service before this happened. My bike fortunately got away with just a few bashed up areas which are easily tidied up but it could have been a lot worse, so always wear protection, you know it makes sense! :0p

R&G Protectors.jpg

Rear Pegs.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

Bummer not dropped mine yet but off to the Pyrenees in 3 weeks to usually have the odd drop off on the trails. 

Mick  

1 minute ago, Motoadventure said:

Bummer not dropped mine yet but off to the Pyrenees in 3 weeks to usually have the odd drop off on the trails. 

Mick  

Good luck with your trip Mick but at least you're going on a proper adventure and you'd be allowed the occasional mishap. Me, I was just parking my bike when i dropped the bloody thing .... Grrrrrr! Lol

Cheers its always the case I did 17,000 around Europe on several trips on my GS fell off twice stationary, blooming annoying.

Mick    

I opened a Honda motor once in the same fashion while sliding sideways on a huge rock face. Without proper protection even small drops could be an issue but we only need to cover up the important bits. 

How does it look once cleaned up? ... is that 4mm polypropylene any good?

Looking at the picture, I am wondering what protection options are available out there for this. I only have these for now:

Engine Case Cover Kit (2pc) for Yamaha MT-07 '14- (FZ-07), Yamaha XSR700 '16- and Yamaha Tracer 700 '16- (FJ-07) models

msd-gb-t700_ec-mt07-2014_engine_cover_pr

Engine Protection Cover Yamaha Tenere 700 - Engine Protection Cover, Plastc, Yamaha Tenere 700 Revolutionary new tough, high-impact composite material made from 60% Long Glass Fibered Nylon to protect

1 hour ago, MGG said:

I opened a Honda motor once in the same fashion while sliding sideways on a huge rock face. Without proper protection even small drops could be an issue but we only need to cover up the important bits. 

How does it look once cleaned up? ... is that 4mm polypropylene any good?

Looking at the picture, I am wondering what protection options are available out there for this. I only have these for now:

Engine Case Cover Kit (2pc) for Yamaha MT-07 '14- (FZ-07), Yamaha XSR700 '16- and Yamaha Tracer 700 '16- (FJ-07) models

msd-gb-t700_ec-mt07-2014_engine_cover_pr

Engine Protection Cover Yamaha Tenere 700 - Engine Protection Cover, Plastc, Yamaha Tenere 700 Revolutionary new tough, high-impact composite material made from 60% Long Glass Fibered Nylon to protect

Once it was cleaned up, it's new rougher appearance wasn't too bad as it was black and didn't really jump out at you. The inside showed no signs of any damage & at around £70 for each side i think they're quality made & good enough to take more of a beating in the future .... if i'm unlucky again!

• 6 months later...
On 10/19/2019 at 11:34 PM, TheStig said:

Luckily i recently fitted R&G engine protectors to my new T7 as i stupidly managed to drop my bike today onto a very low brick wall. As you can see from the first pic, the engine protectors took the brunt of the damage but they did their job perfectly, as the engine casing itself survived without a single mark on it! The bike fell pretty heavily and i don't think regular crash bars would have saved that particular part of engine from as much damage as these did. The second pic shows how the rear pegs also dug into the brickwork & in doing so, stopped the exhaust system from further damage. Whatever you choose to protect your investment, it's never too early to purchase it, as i've only just had my first service before this happened. My bike fortunately got away with just a few bashed up areas which are easily tidied up but it could have been a lot worse, so always wear protection, you know it makes sense! :0p

R&G Protectors.jpg

Rear Pegs.jpg

Hi! Does the water pump protection get in the way of your boots when hitting the rear break?

Thanks .

• Thanks 1

On 4/28/2020 at 8:09 PM, Marco said:

Hi! Does the water pump protection get in the way of your boots when hitting the rear break?

Thanks .

Hi Marco. I’ve had no problem with the R&G covers and they don’t get it the way at all!
Regards Tony

2 minutes ago, TheStig said:

Hi Marco. I’ve had no problem with the R&G covers and they don’t get it the way at all!
Regards Tony

I agree with that too. Plus I took off the clutch arm guard thing and I found it got in the way of my right calf on occasions when off roading. But not now now I took it off and fitted the R&G as it protects the arm too. So a double bonus.

Rich

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, TheStig said:

Regards Tony

Thanks! There's people that installed the AXP bashplate, which also protects the water pump, and I was a little bit worried about water pump protection.

• 2 weeks later...

Another unfortunate here.

I just have 1300 miles on my bike, chrashed on roadwork segment at around 20-30 mph, crash looked pretty bad and I got rolled around, bike spinned on the asphalt in circles. Luckily, just got chrashbars and aluminium side cases fitted, I was in full gear, so the damage is only bended steering, scratched windshield and sligthly scratched left case, with almost invisible scratch on crash bar. My left foot got stuck under something, but in 10 days it should be ok. I was i really low boots as we rode only on asphalt, so there is something to learn from this crash, my ankle joint, calf muscle and knee is bruised and I have some skin abrasions, not so bad. But, I must say, if this has happened on my old bike, without chrash bars and cases, my foot would be a real mess. 

The only thing that I see as a design flaw is the side stand pin, the thing you catch with foot when you put the sidestand down, I suspect that it got my foot stuck under the bike longer than it needed to be, it sticks out pretty bad, and my muscle is bruised to that size and pattern

Screenshot_20200512-111335_Photos.jpg

• Like 1

Ouch!...glad it wasn't worse.  Cheers,  Steve 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AnotherT7lover said:

Another unfortunate here.

I just have 1300 miles on my bike, chrashed on roadwork segment at around 20-30 mph, crash looked pretty bad and I got rolled around, bike spinned on the asphalt in circles. Luckily, just got chrashbars and aluminium side cases fitted, I was in full gear, so the damage is only bended steering, scratched windshield and sligthly scratched left case, with almost invisible scratch on crash bar. My left foot got stuck under something, but in 10 days it should be ok. I was i really low boots as we rode only on asphalt, so there is something to learn from this crash, my ankle joint, calf muscle and knee is bruised and I have some skin abrasions, not so bad. But, I must say, if this has happened on my old bike, without chrash bars and cases, my foot would be a real mess. 

The only thing that I see as a design flaw is the side stand pin, the thing you catch with foot when you put the sidestand down, I suspect that it got my foot stuck under the bike longer than it needed to be, it sticks out pretty bad, and my muscle is bruised to that size and pattern

Screenshot_20200512-111335_Photos.jpg

After I broke my leg on my Dr650 I bought Sidi Crossfire 2 boots. They saved my legs many times. It's better to learn on somebodies mistakes. Wish you best.🙂

• Like 1

Yeah, I thought I was pretty safe with low motorcycle ankle boots, but the bootie got pushed lower and I got not so beautiful abrasion on ankle. Luckily not so deep 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 10/19/2019 at 11:34 PM, TheStig said:

R&G Protectors.jpg

Rear Pegs.jpg

I’m interested in the r&g engine Cases . How are they working for you, any overheating issues?  
cheers 

29 minutes ago, David Adams said:

I’m interested in the r&g engine Cases . How are they working for you, any overheating issues?  
cheers 

No overheating problems at all with these. They’re even used on racing bikes!

• Premium Member

Thanks for posting and all the commenters.
I have been deliberating buying a nice proper pair of adv boots. 

I did get a adv helmet (shoei hornet x2) and at the time I balked at the price of the boots (in Canada they are $625+)  and at the time, after taxes and tinted visor, I already had $1100 into my helmet...  

But, having said all that....  I'd stil like to protect the legs.. so I guess proper boots are worth it. 

As another poster said, best to learn from others.

Thanks again for posting and the responses everyone. 

Tazmool

1 minute ago, Tazmool said:

Thanks for posting and all the commenters.
I have been deliberating buying a nice proper pair of adv boots. 

I did get a adv helmet (shoei hornet x2) and at the time I balked at the price of the boots (in Canada they are $625+)  and at the time, after taxes and tinted visor, I already had $1100 into my helmet...  

But, having said all that....  I'd stil like to protect the legs.. so I guess proper boots are worth it. 

As another poster said, best to learn from others.

Thanks again for posting and the responses everyone. 

Tazmool

Check out SIDI boots.

• Premium Member

Sidi crossfire 3 sr boot, $799cnd....   

I know, I know...  Sidi Adventure 2 Gore-Tex boots, $599cnd... better, will have to check them out. 
As well as Alpinestars Toucan Gore-Tex Boot, $649.95cnd....  Are they worth the $50 over?  not sure... maybe? 

Add tax (13%) and the 7-8hr round trip just to go to the closest dealer that actually has them in stock.....  I don' think any of those boots could be bought blind online... and actually fit...
Shipping from the US, would mean 1.5 month wait..... duty-theft-fees and outrageous shipping to Canada. 

One day, the border will open back up.... then things become easier again.

Tazmool

33 minutes ago, Tazmool said:

Sidi crossfire 3 sr boot, $799cnd....   

I know, I know...  Sidi Adventure 2 Gore-Tex boots, $599cnd... better, will have to check them out. 
As well as Alpinestars Toucan Gore-Tex Boot, $649.95cnd....  Are they worth the $50 over?  not sure... maybe? 

Add tax (13%) and the 7-8hr round trip just to go to the closest dealer that actually has them in stock.....  I don' think any of those boots could be bought blind online... and actually fit...
Shipping from the US, would mean 1.5 month wait..... duty-theft-fees and outrageous shipping to Canada. 

One day, the border will open back up.... then things become easier again.

Tazmool

fwiw I got the Alpinestar Belize boots last year, I have crashed in them 4 times, including 1 Lowside. They are solid, and well made, reasonably priced, and highly rated. Also fit true to size, before buying them I went into GP Bikes to try many brands, from Forma to the lot, all had a weird fit, AS was true boot to boot. No need to spend $600+ on boots to start, and this is coming from someone who owns 2 Shoei's and an Arai XD4. I didn't try the Belize shoes in store as no one had them, bought them blind online based on fit of some other AS shoes in store, no regrets. 

My only complaint is they get very hot, not that breathable, great in cold weather or below 26c, higher, and I wish they had airflow. You do get a taller version, the Toucan. A few years down I'll invest in some SIDI boots if i'm still riding

Edited by ScorpionT16
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Thanks for the info, 
Funny you mention GP Bikes, thats where I bought my Hornet X2  (took me several rides, and thinner cheek pads to warm up to that helmet, almost thought I'd wasted $1100, like and don't like the peak.... its got pros and cons)  

I will check out the Belize boot!

Tazmool

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Tazmool said:

Thanks for the info, 
Funny you mention GP Bikes, thats where I bought my Hornet X2  (took me several rides, and thinner cheek pads to warm up to that helmet, almost thought I'd wasted $1100, like and don't like the peak.... its got pros and cons)  

I will check out the Belize boot!

Tazmool

I have a love hate relationship with Shoei's, got an RF1200 as my first lid, measured to my head and no pressure points, however it was always so snug and tight to remove, after a few hours my ears would ache and jawline feel squished, everyone said it will break in... never did. Then got thinner cheek pads, made like 2% difference, felt so wasted, had invested in tinted visors and the lot in the helmet. A year in I accepted this is just how all helmets are.Then I tried on the Arai XD4 at GPBikes during their helmet sale, and wow, was like a cloud and wearing a pillow, adjustable pads too out of the box, no more pain taking it on or off, and the visor mechanism was so much better. I got it 50% off, however would pay full to replace it again if ever needed, the RF1200 is sitting in a closet for the last 2 years unused, I got a Shoei Qwest as well which is very comfortable, no experience with the Hornet, worried it would have the RF1200 fit issues for me, hope it fits and works well!