Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Side protection pads

al700

Has anyone installed the side protection pads? Do they help grip better the bike while standing up?
BW3-FRPRT-00-00-SIDE-PROTECTION-GRIP-PAD
I read somewhere that they make the seat feel taller because they spread the legs a bit.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 9/13/2019 at 9:39 PM, al700 said:

Has anyone installed the side protection pads? Do they help grip better the bike while standing up?
BW3-FRPRT-00-00-SIDE-PROTECTION-GRIP-PAD
I read somewhere that they make the seat feel taller because they spread the legs a bit.

I want some! Where in the US can I get them?

Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,for there you have been, and there you will long to return!

• Moderators

Realizing these aren't the Yamaha offering a group buy on Tech Spec gripsters ended last Friday, but figuring they'll have extras. Maybe a few on that group buy can be coereced into doing a review on their performance.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Great fit

pretty good grip 

easy to install

good 3m tape on the back that stick to the side of the bike

Yes they improve handling skills by 15%😂

Edited by Tenerequebec
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

I ordered a set of the Tech Spec ones, after they arrived, I liked them so much, I gave them away for free on here....  

They are on their way to their new owner now.
But, that's just my opinion.

Tazmool

• Haha 2

I got a set, they needed modifying to suit me. But that was easy to do and you can't tell my new edges from the factory ones.

Grips.thumb.jpg.2cff98820e1a7fd140232c0c122d6c11.jpg

I didn't install the third piece on either side.

I most likely will replace these when they get worn with some Yamaha's just to save myself the trouble of modifying them.

But these are a whole lot better than nothing which is what Yamaha has available in the US right now.

9 minutes ago, UtahJack said:

I got a set, they needed modifying to suit me. But that was easy to do and you can't tell my new edges from the factory ones.

Grips.thumb.jpg.2cff98820e1a7fd140232c0c122d6c11.jpg

I didn't install the third piece on either side.

I most likely will replace these when they get worn with some Yamaha's just to save myself the trouble of modifying them.

But these are a whole lot better than nothing which is what Yamaha has available in the US right now.

Where did you modify? I still need to install mine.

5 minutes ago, beater_bimmer said:

Where did you modify? I still need to install mine.

On the original pad there are just holes to access the bolts, but these holes are not large enough to remove the bolts. And I thought the holes being smaller than the cavity they covered, presented an opportunity for dirt and water to collect.

So I just cut the pads and used a sanding wheel on a Dremel to tapper the edge to match.

12 minutes ago, UtahJack said:

On the original pad there are just holes to access the bolts, but these holes are not large enough to remove the bolts. And I thought the holes being smaller than the cavity they covered, presented an opportunity for dirt and water to collect.

So I just cut the pads and used a sanding wheel on a Dremel to tapper the edge to match.

That’s annoying! Should post in the group buy thread and have them tell Tech Spec. 

I got mine as well. I too placed them on my bike and 2 of the pieces lines unfortunalty don't match the lines of the bikes covers. Didn't really think of it much and figured I'd take a razor blade to make it look cleaner, refined. But the thing that got me was like what UtahJack said. The holes for the bolts are tiny. Much smaller than the holes that Yamaha has on their covers. So it's inevitable for water and dirt to get back there. And once back there, it will seep down and eventually release the glue starting with the bottom portion of each piece. There's no way around this. 

That's why Yamaha did a half moon design around the bolt holes to eliminate that inevitably. I figured I'd do the same and punch the holes bigger, like U.J. but then realized I just bought these fit and stick pieces that now they need modifying so wrote BellissiMoto telling them that a little further design could be needed to make these work and he said he'd get back to me after speaking with TechSpec but haven't heard back from him yet. 

I'll either try to modify these like Jack did or maybe just get rid of them and get the Yamaha ones which can be ordered from overseas as they have the design down. Seem TechSpec might have rushed these out a bit too quick. 

There is the possibility that Tech Spec intended everybody to trim them to preference. They do mention in the installation marking and trimming with scissors, and sanding the edge including a diagram of the edge. But at first I though they were talking about different set. The instructions if that is the case are poor.

They were so easy to trim and sanding the edge came out perfect.

I would have rather than the second piece on the lowest panel, have had a triangle piece for the the back corner of the actual tank. Just above the top panel they provided.

I was thinking it was so easy to trim, it would be nice is Tech Spec sold just squares, triangles, and circles that you could trim to suit.

4 minutes ago, Johnnyboxer said:

Just buy the Yamaha ones 

Would if I could.

The only Yamaha ones i have found is on UK ebay, shipping to the US is cost prohibitive.

• Supporting Vendor

Guys, I see what all of you are saying...

I've alerted Tech Spec, and told them about some panels not fitting 100%, and also the holes being too small.

It was too separate emails.  They got back to me about the panels not fitting 100%, and they are RE MAKING THE PATTERN, and gonna send out the updated panels to everyone!

I then asked him the holes being too small, and water collecting, etc, and showed them Yamaha's version, and @UtahJack's modified version, so lets see what they say.

I hope they re do that also.

Just know that they ARE listening, and already said they would update the pattern on the panels that don't fit well.

I hope they re- do them with the larger holes in mind as well.

Stay Tuned!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

My set fit fine as far as the lines go with the bike. I installed all 3 each side in maybe 5 minutes time. I agree with the others the holes are just to small to remove a bolt and expect to get said bolt back in the threaded hole easily. I am not enlarging the holes on my set if they come loose from water intrusion so be it I'll just peel them off completely. In the event water collects behind the pad the adhesive will start to break down over time and the pad will just be flapping in the breeze or simply fall off and you'll notice it later on.

I have had the Tech Spec pads on my Africa Twin now for two years and other than some slight discoloring of the rubber they fit and perform fine. The AT does not have any bolt hole openings though. Very pleased with their product on the AT.

In the pic below you can see on mine that center most bolt will be a bear to remove and reinstall deeply recessed already and now with the hole diameter greatly reduced now by the pad. The other two bolts probably won’t be much more trouble since they are not recessed as much as the center bolt is. 

54514564-B00B-46DB-8E15-8235CB6799E7.jpeg

Edited by roy826

@roy826

To make matters worse bolt you are talking about is also the only one out of all of them the requires locktight, and of coarse this panel is probably the most frequent panel on the bike to be removed. 

These panel access to some electrical and must be removed if you are removing the side cover/tail piece.

• Like 2

JB, get the factory oem ones, they are very good and do help when standing with grip (done a lot of that this week due to the very hot days, its surprising how much the tank/side screens and fairing protect you from the wind). 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Johnnyboxer said:

The bottom panel on each side, is only £18 or 20 euro, so we're spending money on rubber pads, to protect a cheap plastic panel, that's only a few bucks

Makes no sense

All 4 panels, 2 upper metal tank panels and 2 plastic lower ones are less than £100 and we're spending nearly that on buying 4 rubber pieces to cover it from scratches??

That's not necessarily true.

The rear piece is one solid piece both sides and the back and is $223.66.

The fairings on each side are $145 a piece.

The tank cowlings (plastic bits) are $74 a side.

The smaller tank covers (wierd angled bit) is $28 a side.

So the tank pieces that you are covering with th grip pads would cost about $100 a side to replace. So is a $40 dollar per side cover worth it to protect $100 of plastic? Maybe. For me it was, but I like the grip and where I ride in the desert my motos are constantly scraping against overhanging creosote bushes.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2020 at 8:52 AM, BellissiMoto said:

It was too separate emails.  They got back to me about the panels not fitting 100%, and they are RE MAKING THE PATTERN, and gonna send out the updated panels to everyone!

Is there anything we need to do or will they automatically just resend to everyone they previously shipped to? 

Thanks for checking into this for us!

• Like 3

• Supporting Vendor
On 8/15/2020 at 7:15 PM, rhicks said:

Is there anything we need to do or will they automatically just resend to everyone they previously shipped to? 

Thanks for checking into this for us!

From what they said, they are going to send out replacement panels to everyone directly.

I'm waiting on a reply as to timeline, etc, so I can update you guys accordingly 🙂

- Paul

• Like 1

On 8/13/2020 at 12:51 PM, Johnnyboxer said:

All 4 panels, 2 upper metal tank panels and 2 plastic lower ones are less than £100 and we're spending nearly that on buying 4 rubber pieces to cover it from scratches??

The grip panels are for gripping the bike with your legs while standing and not meant to protect the panels from scratches. If you're only concerned with scratches spend $5 on some 3M tape to protect it. 

• Like 2

They do a god job for gripping. I used mine for first time off road this weekend and did notice the extra grip while riding.

• Supporting Vendor

Just heard back from TechSpec.  They will start sending replacement panels Friday!

🙂

- Paul

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

How difficult is it to get them off since they are pretty stuck on as it is?  Is it just a slowly peel away process?   I had already put mine on and was so excited to get them on without messing something up I didn't realize any drain or bolt issues until they were already installed.

I spent way too much time trying to make sure the tank pad was lined up than I should have.  The side panels took me a while but that's my own OCD fault.