Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Who's The Smallest T700 Rider?

Team Pro Bono

Or in other words, how large do I have to be ride one of these? I'm in the USA so these won't hit the showrooms until next month (fingers crossed). My dealer is going to give me a call...

Me? 5'4", 28" inseam, 175 lbs.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Team Pro Bono said:

Or in other words, how large do I have to be ride one of these? I'm in the USA so these won't hit the showrooms until next month (fingers crossed). My dealer is going to give me a call...

Im in the USA and have a short inseam as well, 29 inches. Short legs tall upper body (thanks alot God)  I have ridden tall dirtbikes my whole life. Only wipe out when i go to stop on rough terrain. I got good at leaning the bike over and resting on one foot alot on flat ground. 

Anywho, Rallyraid in UK makes a rear linkage that drops the ride height a little bit, up to an inch and a half I believe. You lose that in rear suspension travel but it's not a ride killer or anything.  I had one on my Honda 450 and it was amazing how much a difference an inch and a half makes. (there is a joke opportunity there but Im not telling it) 

Here is the Rally Raid rear linkage options.

20 mm reduction http://www.rally-raidproducts.co.uk/yamaha-t7-tenere/yamaha-t7-tenere-lowering-link-20mm

40 mm reduction http://www.rally-raidproducts.co.uk/yamaha-t7-tenere/yamaha-t7-tenere-lowering-link-20mm

You can also adjust the forks higher up a lil bit in the front, if needed. 

The seat height is 34 inches. But once you throw a leg over a bike and start to compress down, it will lower much lower down.  On tall dirtbikes with 37 inches of height, I would actually push the bike down before throwing my leg over. Yeah, it's the short guy art form of dirtbike mounting. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I am in the US waiting on a T7, 5'9" tall 32" inseam 135 lbs. I have rode tall bikes all my life on the dirt. never a problem. My Africa Twin is pretty high up now with the Ohlins suspension front and rear. I am tip toed on it with seat in high position.

Edited by roy826
  • Like 1

I'm 5'4" with a 26" inseam.  I don't have my bike yet but here are the options:

Yamaha OEM  Lowering Kit - Reduced seat height   -20mm

Reduced links             -18mm

------

Total             - 38mm

2019-Yamaha-XTZ700-EU-Ceramic_Ice-Action

The official product page of the Ténéré 700. The page contains the technical specs, media for download and an overview of related accessories.

If you need more.  Off The Road - Lowering links:  20mm, 30mm, 40mm, 50mm

ulh-t700_otr_tenere_700_tieferlegung_low

Lowering kit Yamaha Tenere 700 - Lowering kits Yamaha Tenere 700 This laser cutted and CNC-manufactured linkage bones notably improve the driving characteristics of the Yamaha Tenere 700 and help your

I'm hoping to get by with just the Yamaha kit and sliding the forks up 38mm to retain the correct geometry.

Edited by Gekkdroid

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/18/2020 at 3:10 PM, Gekkdroid said:

I'm 5'4" with a 26" inseam.  I don't have my bike yet but here are the options:

Yamaha OEM  Lowering Kit - Reduced seat height   -20mm

Reduced links             -18mm

------

Total             - 38mm

2019-Yamaha-XTZ700-EU-Ceramic_Ice-Action

The official product page of the Ténéré 700. The page contains the technical specs, media for download and an overview of related accessories.

If you need more.  Off The Road - Lowering links:  20mm, 30mm, 40mm, 50mm

ulh-t700_otr_tenere_700_tieferlegung_low

Lowering kit Yamaha Tenere 700 - Lowering kits Yamaha Tenere 700 This laser cutted and CNC-manufactured linkage bones notably improve the driving characteristics of the Yamaha Tenere 700 and help your

I'm hoping to get by with just the Yamaha kit and sliding the forks up 38mm to retain the correct geometry.

Stupid question, wouldn't you want the forks to be lowered only 18mm? the lower seat shouldn't affect the geometry. Am I misunderstanding this?

• Like 1

Yamaha says that getting the lowering kit with longer link that lowers the seat height by 18mm you don't need to raise the fork tubes through the clamps to lower the front as well by 18mm...I think this is wrong. To keep the balance and geometry of the bike you should lower the front by the same amount. I have installed the lowering link without lowering the front of the bike and I think in the twisties that set up suffers in combination with the high tank weight and high engine mount.

Yes, my bad, you are correct.  The forks should only be lowered the amount of the links - not the seat - to retain the factory geometry.

Edited by Gekkdroid
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, al700 said:

Yamaha says that getting the lowering kit with longer link that lowers the seat height by 18mm you don't need to raise the fork tubes through the clamps to lower the front as well by 18mm...I think this is wrong. To keep the balance and geometry of the bike you should lower the front by the same amount. I have installed the lowering link without lowering the front of the bike and I think in the twisties that set up suffers in combination with the high tank weight and high engine mount.

now I think about it, perhaps this is why some early testers who were shorter had a lighter feel to the front yet some don't find it so? hmmm....

I also am a short rider and mounted the OEM lowering links (so minus 18mm)  and raised the front fork also approximately 18mm which is the maximum.  Otherwise the bottom clamps do not grab the flat part of the conical tubes anymore.

I also ordered the lower seat.  On the road the height is no problem for me but in rough offroad conditions  with the weight of the T7 I expect some problems.

20200610_200513.jpg

20200610_200522.jpg

30" inseam and this is the first bike I have had that I can't be flat footed with both feet, take some getting use to.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I’m 4’7” with a 23” inseam. I fit the Tenere with no issues reaching the ground. Mind you I do look like a mini Chuck Norris stretching when stopped at the lights.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 5/16/2020 at 4:20 PM, Team Pro Bono said:

I am a woman, 5'4" and 135 lbs.  Honestly not sure what my inseam is.  I rode the bike home from the dealer stock.  I could have ridden it that way, but it is safer and more enjoyable now that I put the OEM lowering links and low seat on my Tenere.  Still definitely a stretch but so is nearly every motorcycle I have ridden. I am not in full gear since I was just moving the bike out of the garage in this photo (not going out riding).  But even with the front wheel down a small bit on the gravel, I am on my tippy, tippy toes to reach.

Tenere.jpg

• Like 1

Seriously, 5’9”, 30” in seam. It is a stretch, but so was my Husqvarna 630 and the DR650 was tall. All my other bikes were road bikes and no trouble with height. It’s something you adapt to and, personally, I like the better viewing position. 

• Haha 2

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

5'5", 130lbs, stock tenere suspension and seat, stock preload adjustment.

My number one complaint is the gripper seat cover is hard on shifting around in tough situations