Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

When we Americans get our T7's, one of our first upgrades should be......

Cruizin

Hey international T7 owners, we Yanks are about to get our bikes in a couple of weeks. You have had yours for a while now. Tell us, what would you prioritize as far as upgrades go?   My first priority is suspension.  Yamaha gets to a good price point by putting marsh mellow in the forks. But, what else have you found to be upgraded?

Not so interested in brand, because we over here will have some different options.  

The biggest positive change for me was the rally-seat, if you are tall enough.
Suspension has not been a problem for me so far. I would try and test the stock one first

• Like 3

Free mod for all T700 owners... Take the throttle play out.. First thing in the dealers yard if you can. Makes a huge difference to snatchy throttle 😋👍

• Like 3

Exactly what @MadMark and @Aleksandar13 said. My top two. One is free, one isn't.

The other mods are personalisation stuff, but an aftermarket exhaust has to be high on the list just to release that gorgeous sound and lose 3 kg.

I agree with regards to the suspension. Depends what you're using and for and your weight. If you're on the large size and doing a lot of off road, you will probably want to mod it. 

if you're off-roading - bar risers high on the list. Transforms the standing up position, especially if you're tall.

Edited by Rich TT
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, Rich TT said:

Exactly what @MadMark and @Aleksandar13 said. My top two. One is free, one isn't.

The other mods are personalisation stuff, but an aftermarket exhaust has to be high on the list just to release that gorgeous sound and lose 3 kg.

I agree with regards to the suspension. Depends what you're using and for and your weight. If you're on the large size and doing a lot of off road, you will probably want to mod it. 

if you're off-roading - bar risers high on the list. Transforms the standing up position, especially if you're tall.

Cheap one as well would be the rear spring... Everything above 75kg...best mod for suspension. 💪👍

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Aleksandar13 said:

Free mod for all T700 owners... Take the throttle play out.. First thing in the dealers yard if you can. Makes a huge difference to snatchy throttle 😋👍

First thing I did to my MT09, made it halfway home from the dealer. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
23 minutes ago, Cruizin said:

First thing I did to my MT09, made it halfway home from the dealer. 

Throttle free play yes and
you’ll want to roll the handlebars forward a bit and rotate the levers down a bit for when standing up off-roading.

First purchase mod that I did, at 100 miles, was fitted a chain oiler.

2nd was main mod was to fit the rear rack

3rd was fir a USB charging ports unit and 12v socket straight to battery with 10 amp inline fuse so that I can run my cycle air compressor.

Best wishes

• Like 3

1. SUSPENSION, at the very least replace the rear shock spring to suit your weight! Best to have small amount of preload on the adjuster for rider alone, so when luggage is introduced extra preload can be applied. If you have lots to spend there's a number of shock and cartridge options for you. Let the forum know how that works out for you. 

2. ERGONOMICS, adjust the bike to your stature.  If you are tall like me, then bar risers, rally seat and perhaps lower footpegs are in order . If you are vertically challenged, lower seat and perhaps lowering linkages for the rear. Then adjust your controls to suit you.

3. PROTECTION, I am assuming you are going to use the bike for the intended use. Bash plate upgrade is a must, Yamaha calls it a cowling. Then consider crash bars, engine case and radiator protection. 

4. LUGGAGE, lots of good options out there, size to suit your needs. If you want hard luggage, I think that you should have bought a GS1200.🤣 

• Like 1

When I get mine first thing is handgaurds, blinkers, tail tidy, exhaust, and skid plate, already have all this stuff waiting in my garage for when this bike makes it to the states, oxford heated grips will be installed before bikes first winter, might do rear spring not sure yet cause im only 160lbs

• Like 2