Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Hi From Newcastle Australia

Mungo

Hi All,

I picked up my new T7 on Friday afternoon.

On Friday night, I put her to bed in the garage with her much loved and much older big sister (2004 BMW R1200GS).

On Saturday I 'played' with her to get the right set up for me - 2mm throttle slack; rotated the bars forward; removed rubbers from the pegs; fitted a Unifilter pre-filter (needed where I ride); raised the front guard; adjusted the gear lever to fit my Alpinestars Tech 7 Enduro boots; and fitted my tools.

And today (Sunday) rode in the Watagans (off road) with some mates - only came off once - no damage! (although it is substantially lighter than my GS, the GS doesn't go all the way over due to the engine cyclinders and crash bars - so the T7 seemed to be more difficult to lift than the GS).

I am more than happy with the T7 - it surprised me how good it is on the road - and off the road - fantastic.  After riding the T7, the GS looks like she will be retired! Although I can't wait for SeatConcepts to have a T7 seat - compared to the GS, the T7 is like sitting on a brick fence.

This week - alot of the 'bling bits' get fitted - I'll put up some photos when she has all the 'bells and whistles' fitted.

Now - she needs a good wash.

Paul 

T7PostFirstRide.jpg

T7FirstRide.jpg

• Like 3

Congrats, you picked the right colour! I read somewhere that the red ones are faster, must be true if it's in writing. Yes it's a surprise package, with enhancing it gets better! 

Welcome to the converted.

I gave up an F8GS for the T7 and am not disappointed. Rode Wollemi a couple of weeks ago and find it miles in front of the F8 ( despite spending shitloads on the F8 suspension )

Where did you score the gripper pads? I have already put scratches in the tank from gripping with my knees.

Looking forward to some photos.

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

Got the gripper pads from Chris Watson at Islington - where I bought the bike from - extremely happy with these as I seem to use my knees alot in the bush - well worth the money.  Unlike the tank pad - seems way too small and pretty well useless. 

The bike goes back to the shop this week to get some other Yamaha gear on it (that was on back order) such as chain guide and heated grips (waiting the spacer) as well they have ordered and will fit: B&B Bashplate, B&B Tail Tidy,  Barkbusters, Pivot Pegs.   I also have a package from Ruggered Roads that is scheduled to be delivered today which has R&G engine cases; Adventure Spec Crash Bars and Rack; and RR aluminim chain guard.  I have also purchased H&B Center Stand and a Barretts slip-on can that go on this week.

I was surprised at how well the standard tyres went in the bush on the weekend - I was going to swap them for Bridgestone Battleaxe AX41 this week, but will now wait until I use the standard tyres.

Hope to see you out at Wollemi in the future - I understand that the Wollemi Pub is due to reopen on 1st June.

Paul

Welcome aboard buddy. Agree with the gripper pads feedback, in my opinion best bang for buck mod...I was amazed at how much I grip and use my knees and thighs while riding without noticing previously. H&B centre stand is best pick of the bunch IMO plus not sure how tall you are but the Rally Seat is also up there with instant improvements. Be keen on your feedback on Pivot Pegs when you fit and test them.
See you out there!

I've been thinking about the rally seat as it seems it gets constantly good feedback from riders who have fitted it.  I'm 183.5cms ( or I used to be - now with old age I'm most likely a little less) so I understand that the rally seat would be OK for my height (?). I've been happy with SeatConcepts in the past and I understand that they should have a T7 seat available within the next three months.

I would appreciate views on Yamaha Rally seat v A typical aftermarket seat such as the like of Seatconcepts.  Yes I realise that it is impossible to compare like for like until one is available however if people with the Yamaha Rally seat thought that it was as good or better than a typical aftermarket seat - I would go with the Rally seat.

Paul

I did 400km on the rally seat yesterday. I wear Motoskinz for a bit of arse padding. The seat is OK and I won't be changing it anytime soon.

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

On 5/26/2020 at 9:54 AM, Mungo said:

I've been thinking about the rally seat as it seems it gets constantly good feedback from riders who have fitted it.  I'm 183.5cms ( or I used to be - now with old age I'm most likely a little less) so I understand that the rally seat would be OK for my height (?). I've been happy with SeatConcepts in the past and I understand that they should have a T7 seat available within the next three months.

I would appreciate views on Yamaha Rally seat v A typical aftermarket seat such as the like of Seatconcepts.  Yes I realise that it is impossible to compare like for like until one is available however if people with the Yamaha Rally seat thought that it was as good or better than a typical aftermarket seat - I would go with the Rally seat.

Paul

Picked up my bike last weekend, also have done a bit of a ride through the Watagans, not so far from my place, haven't added any extras as yet, looking at tail tidy rear rack and bash plate first up, B&B seem the logical choice, any advice on such matters would be much appreciated, also priced etc maybe you can do better in Newy,

Kinda curious though while I'm on about prices, how much did you pay ride away?? If it's not a rude question?

Hi All,

Well I got 90% of the gear on the new girl.  Very happy with how she is set up now.  Just a couple of things to go including T7 Rally's Seat Joining Kit.  Awaiting a couple of Yamaha parts - Chain Guide and Heated Grips (just waiting on the spacers).  Pivot Pegz are also going to be fitted.

IMG-0257.jpg

IMG-0259.jpg

Hi Stevoh,

The Tail Tidy and Bash Plate are B&B - could not be happier - went through Chris Watson Newcastle with bike purchase (retail minus 10% plus fitting for free with purchase of the bike - all Yamaha gear retail minus 15% and again with free fitting).

The rear rack and crash bars are Adventure Spec and the engine cases are R&G Racing; the headlight protector is Power Bronze all through Rugged Roads in the UK.  The pipe is Barrett's - I saw the same on Allen Kelly's bike and loved it - a fantastic Oz product (as is the B&B gear).  The centre stand is H&B through Motorcycle Adventure Products here in Oz.  

Chris Watson at Islington is doing the T7's for $16,800.

A huge thanks to Allen Kelly for all his advice - I caught up with Allen this morning for a 'cuppa and a chat about all things T7'.  I would not have meet Allen with out this forum - thank you.

Paul

Thanks Paul for the info, all looks quite good!

I went through Power sport central at Morissett for my bike purchase he's offered me a discount on anything I need, I'll see him first for the B&B gear,the rear rack I was pretty set on adventure spec, it looks great.

Hi Stevoh,

If you want to have a look at the bike and the gear on it just let me know.  I'm only at Valentine.  I know that when I was thinking about the set up I wanted, having Allen Kelly there to provide advice and for me to 'see the gear in the flesh' prior to purchasing was invaluable.

Paul

Thanks, might just take you up on that offer, my bike only has 179 Km on the click at the moment.