Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What is in your toolbag?

Cruizin

Good evening!

I usually put together some tools for my bike but I don't have it yet so I didn't put it together yet.

But I saw that Yamaha offers decent tool set. Does it maybe fit under the (rally) seat? That would be nice. 

https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/de/de/products/motorcycles/adventure/tenere-700-2019/accessories/metric-tool-kit/aba-metrc-00-00/?path=/?page=5

The price is always questionable but if it is a top notch and most handy kit it might be well worth it.

Open your mind, arms and heart to new things and people, we are united in our differences!

I really don't think it's worth the money...I think you could put together a much more robust and practical tool kit yourself . Get the basics first and then add any tools you find you need...buy decent quality tools and they will last and be nice to use!  Cheers,  Steve 

• Like 2

Maybe one day I will order some tools from Chapman and add them to my tool roll. They have a smart Bit-design...

Edited by bikeever

• 2 weeks later...

When I work on my bike its from my tool roll. My kit currently for our bikes..

The oil is in a 1.5L Premus fuel bottle I sandblaster and powdercoated black. Perfect for my WRR though only carry this on longer trip where I know water crossings will be involved and use a stainless reusable filter. Mentioned because its in the pic.

The Kimball Midwest 1/4" drive/socket kit lives in my tank bag and is the only ratchet I'll use on the bike as it keeps one from over tightening bolts. Its also a damn nice piece of kit.. I'll be ordering another one for the T7 tank bag.

I carry a 12" 3/8" breaker bar thats 8oz along with a 23mm low profile socket for the 22/27mm inserts for axle and output shaft nuts. 3/8 to 1/4 adapter also for anything thats stubborn. It and the top black arm (part of the Baja No Pinch Tool seen in the roll) both slide into the MoJavi saddlebags I use daily. Everything else fits in the Wolfman tool roll and comes in at 8lbs 6oz including the 2 bars. The tool roll and spare tube (covered in baby powder) slide into the saddlebag at the same time and the 12v Slime air compressor fits in on top. Amazingly.. this all fits in the one side taking up 6L of space.

I've used everything in this kit at some point on the trail.. though usually on other peoples bikes.

I'll build a separate kit for the T7 as I start working on it.

1726718176_WRRWR250RWolfmanToolRoll.thumb.jpg.fc5fa7d151c91f4dcafe604136cd5f8f.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 5/24/2020 at 8:51 PM, Michael said:

Good evening!

I usually put together some tools for my bike but I don't have it yet so I didn't put it together yet.

But I saw that Yamaha offers decent tool set. Does it maybe fit under the (rally) seat? That would be nice. 

https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/de/de/products/motorcycles/adventure/tenere-700-2019/accessories/metric-tool-kit/aba-metrc-00-00/?path=/?page=5

The price is always questionable but if it is a top notch and most handy kit it might be well worth it.

I don't see any tool for unscrew the back weel bolt.

22 minutes ago, Jonas said:

I don't see any tool for unscrew the back weel bolt.

They put a towel in to wipe tears if you realise that issue during sticked in the backcountry🤪

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...

Just found out that Acerbis Tool Bag fits on the front fender. I will carry only light things in it like a small water resist first aid kit and a safety vest but maybe you could put a spare tube or what ever in it. It’s a nice option so far. 

DB8DBA36-3B63-4247-AF50-9C2AF602535B.jpeg.da55b70e32d7b8b2fffea22005307d65.jpeg

09C7F9B6-1A0E-486B-BA3E-1B94E5D85471.jpeg.011158882bcd93232b8d398f53a2f5a9.jpeg

• 5 months later...

Hello to all in the community!

Had posted this as a new subject and later realized there was this one!

Looking forward to reading the suggestions and contributions.

I wanted to see if there was a possibility to get some guidance/advice on this subject, as this is a whole new world for me, which I am eager to delve into and learn. At the moment, I have the bare essential household tools, so please remember I might just be starting from ground zero. 

I recognize that this subject on its own can be subjective and dependent on many variables, but figure it would not hurt to ask those with more experience and who have been in my shoes at one time in their life. To put things in context: My goal is to do a trip through the Americas beginning or end of 2022, and yes while there might be some things that might/will require me to go to a shop, for the rest I would like to be able to do it on my own. 

I have been searching the web and stumbled upon this Ultimate Compact Tool Kit for Yamaha Super Tenere / Motorcycle Tool Kit /  Set / CRUZTOOLS ROADTECH M3 METRIC TOOL KIT which caught my curiosity "Providing Peace of Mind Worldwide" and was wondering if anyone has been able to put together a similar setup / has stumbled upon a detailed list for the T7 of "essentials" and "true essentials". 

Example: 

Essentials: Torque wrench for Torque Specs and overall long term benefit.

True Essentials: Maybe someone does not carry a Torque wrench on long trips. 

From what I have been reading in this and other forums, I recognize that there might be some work that will require more high technical devices but at the moment, I would like to stick to the "real needs" and spend the money where it is going to be put to best use and for the benefit of being able to do general maintenance while having the duality to carry with me in future trips. 

I have created a spreadsheet that can be edited / populated by anyone if it helps, and it's for the benefit of the community.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18Vx4YFpVcvWFiHoHikdbdndxTHW_zi21kqMJ7nQGM18/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by una.brisa
Community Spread Sheet Link
  • Like 2
_
una.brisa | 

Filling hearts with smiles, of love, of enthusiasm and tears of joy, and (from time to time) changing the world  

42 minutes ago, una.brisa said:

Hello to all in the community!

Had posted this as a new subject and later realized there was this one!

Looking forward to reading the suggestions and contributions.

I wanted to see if there was a possibility to get some guidance/advice on this subject, as this is a whole new world for me, which I am eager to delve into and learn. At the moment, I have the bare essential household tools, so please remember I might just be starting from ground zero. 

I recognize that this subject on its own can be subjective and dependent on many variables, but figure it would not hurt to ask those with more experience and who have been in my shoes at one time in their life. To put things in context: My goal is to do a trip through the Americas beginning or end of 2022, and yes while there might be some things that might/will require me to go to a shop, for the rest I would like to be able to do it on my own. 

I have been searching the web and stumbled upon this (Ultimate Compact Tool Kit for Yamaha Super Tenere), which caught my curiosity "Providing Peace of Mind Worldwide" and was wondering if anyone has been able to put together a similar setup / has stumbled upon a detailed list for the T7 of "essentials" and "true essentials". 

Example: 

Essentials: Torque wrench for Torque Specs and overall long term benefit.

True Essentials: Maybe someone does not carry a Torque wrench on long trips. 

From what I have been reading in this and other forums, I recognize that there might be some work that will require more high technical devices but at the moment, I would like to stick to the "real needs" and spend the money where it is going to be put to best use and for the benefit of being able to do general maintenance while having the duality to carry with me in future trips. 

I have created a spreadsheet that can be edited / populated by anyone if it helps, and it's for the benefit of the community.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18Vx4YFpVcvWFiHoHikdbdndxTHW_zi21kqMJ7nQGM18/edit?usp=sharing

It's a difficult one to try and cover all bases.  If you are planning a trip I would draw up two lists, one for essential maintenance and one for repair depending on where your going and for how long.

Carry the tools/parts required for essential maintenance and make sure you can actually perform the task before you travel. When I say essential, instead of starting the journey with a chain & sprocket set that's done 2000 miles, renew it before you go. Try and start with the bike in the best shape before you go than carry spares & tools to change on the hoof.

Repair is a harder list but spare tubes and the tools (and ability) to be able to swap them out would be high on the list. Most unexpected repairs will probably be the result of crash damage so if you can try and protect the most vulnerable parts this would be better than trying to repair parts at the side of the trail. Plenty of info on here with regards to what seems to bend or break after a wee tumble.

Certainly I'd pack cable ties, duct tape and metal putty. If you're going in a group, see if you can split the tool kit amongst the group, no point in carry 4 sets of the same spanners.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 6/3/2020 at 4:05 AM, Adrenolin said:

When I work on my bike its from my tool roll. My kit currently for our bikes..

The oil is in a 1.5L Premus fuel bottle I sandblaster and powdercoated black. Perfect for my WRR though only carry this on longer trip where I know water crossings will be involved and use a stainless reusable filter. Mentioned because its in the pic.

The Kimball Midwest 1/4" drive/socket kit lives in my tank bag and is the only ratchet I'll use on the bike as it keeps one from over tightening bolts. Its also a damn nice piece of kit.. I'll be ordering another one for the T7 tank bag.

I carry a 12" 3/8" breaker bar thats 8oz along with a 23mm low profile socket for the 22/27mm inserts for axle and output shaft nuts. 3/8 to 1/4 adapter also for anything thats stubborn. It and the top black arm (part of the Baja No Pinch Tool seen in the roll) both slide into the MoJavi saddlebags I use daily. Everything else fits in the Wolfman tool roll and comes in at 8lbs 6oz including the 2 bars. The tool roll and spare tube (covered in baby powder) slide into the saddlebag at the same time and the 12v Slime air compressor fits in on top. Amazingly.. this all fits in the one side taking up 6L of space.

I've used everything in this kit at some point on the trail.. though usually on other peoples bikes.

I'll build a separate kit for the T7 as I start working on it.

1726718176_WRRWR250RWolfmanToolRoll.thumb.jpg.fc5fa7d151c91f4dcafe604136cd5f8f.jpg

Good info..

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I have two versions of the tools I carry on the bike

1) Everyday on the bike

2) Tools for a trip

1) Everyday on the bike

• Motion Pro Metric tool pack
  • Leatherman Skeletool CX
  • 1/4" ratchet + 2 inch extension
  • 1/4" bits - 10mm socket, 8mm socket, 6mm socket, 5mm hex bit, 4mm hex bit & 3mm hex bit
  • Allen keys - 5mm, 4mm and 3mm
  • T30 Torx key
  • Ring spanner combo - 11mm, 10mm and 8mm
  • Magnetic extendable tool
  • Nose pliers
  • Knipex 86 03 Multigrip Plier wrench
  • All carried in a USWE tool roll

2) Tools for a trip

• Everyday on the bike
  • Rolling Mavericks T6 combo lever 27mm and 22mm
  • Rolling Mavericks Trail Jack
  • Motorcycle Hex spindle
  • Front & Rear spare tubes
  • 3x CO2 cylinders
  • Xiaomi Portable pump

Everydayonthebike.jpg.1e895e56d402f2d8f14691869073b6cb.jpg

Edited by motonap
  • Like 1

Meet BigBlu - 2022 Tenere 700 | Yamaha OEM chain guide | Yamaha OEM crash guard | Givi Rear luggage rack | Givi BN42 top box | Black Widow 300mm Hexagonal exhaust | Acerbis High Fender | Windscreen risers | ProTaper Evo low handlebar | Oxford Integrated heated grips | Upshift Retro Speedblock Blue graphic kit | QuadLock wireless charger | BarkBuster Storm Handguards | Mitas E07+ rear tyre | Shinko E804 front tyre | MotoMount Radar screamer & LED visual alert | Custom half tail tidy kit |

• 2 months later...

Most important tools  are a credit card and mobile phone

I made mine up while taking bike fully apart (day after I bought it)

I will list them and take a pic. however best was to make a tool kit I find is as follows

1 - set aside a tray for tools

2 - as you use a tool place it in the tray and keep it separate

3 - any sockets, bits or allen keys also go into this

4 - I try make a list of them and they if possible use double end spanners (12/13mm) in stead of both

- Open end spanners while slower do offer more flexibility

5 - I have tyre levers and wheel tools that don't go with me all the time. Only large tool I keep is a modified spanner for front and rear wheel nuts.

- Tyre tools you need how to use them so practice at home

- Have a small trail stand, again would only be carried on long trips with luggage

6 - I also leave a ECU reader under seat and have the app on my phone

7 - Spare fuses, wire and tape. Also some "positaps" and heat shrink wire joiners

8 - small multi-meter about size of a credit card

9 - Leather man crunch stays in tank bag. However I nearly always have a leatherman or Victorinox knife on me everyday. I like my pocket knives.

10 - Few dispoable gloves and a rag is handy

These all fit in with the stock tool kit and one little cloth pouch under the sear.

I have a large section of old cheap tools in a box. each new bike I dip in an out of these to build a new tool kit each time.

Biggest tools are for the tyres. I would only take these when travelling and have luggage. Yet find a place store them on bike. On my 950 Ktm I used have a foam "shadow board" setup was great.

Only carry what you can use, no point having an engine rebuild tool kit as wont have parts

What I have not settled on is a tyre pump, I have a small cheap hi flow tyre pump (yet to test) that I could carry as its light. also have a stop and go elec trye pump. Again its light but takes up room. This would go with tyre tools in luggage.

Sum up

- Tools on my bike are just an extension of the stock kit, used for basic fix ups like loose nuts, damaged wire or help another rider. There is no tool that doesn't have a job for my bike or multi purpose use.

- Larger tools are for tyres and only used when travelling far with luggage

- For 75% riders that don't travel around in remote areas don't need much in way of tools. 

- If i get a break down or puncture in my home country or Europe I will be ringing my insurance.

Edited by john_aero