Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

So what about the KTM 790 Adv???

prwatts

I know, I know,  I'm a bad boy to be looking away,  but seriously,  whaddaya  think? 

And, will it come to the good 'ole US and A?  Soon?

I have to say, on paper it looks good, and  the You-choob videos. 

But I'm not sure about that low down fuel tank.  Good idea, though...

As usual with KTM I find it to be kinda ugly.  Also, the peg to seat distance looks really short I wonder about on-road comfort.  Still, I like the idea of the smaller ADV bike so it is probably good to have more competition in this segment.

• Premium Member

I like it a lot, and I have to say that the only thing stopping me from buying the KTM is the price tag. (For now)

It is expected to be 30-40% more expensive than the T700, but on the other hand, you also get hi-end electronics like lean-angle ABS, TC, Cruise, Quickshifter, 20hp more, bigger fuel tank etc. 

Also, the KTM dealer network is a lot smaller than the Yamaha, at least here in Norway. 

We´ll see - maybe I´ll go Team Orange? :classic_ninja:

Fabros

5 hours ago, Fabros said:

I like it a lot, and I have to say that the only thing stopping me from buying the KTM is the price tag. (For now)

It is expected to be 30-40% more expensive than the T700, but on the other hand, you also get hi-end electronics like lean-angle ABS, TC, Cruise, Quickshifter, 20hp more, bigger fuel tank etc. 

Also, the KTM dealer network is a lot smaller than the Yamaha, at least here in Norway. 

We´ll see - maybe I´ll go Team Orange? :classic_ninja:

Fabros

All the electronics is what scares me away from the KTM

i have 7 riding mates that all have the latest model 1290’s and 4 of them have had the instrument panel replaced under warranty , 1 of them that’s done the most k’s had it replaced twice and one had the solenoid stuff up to open the fuel cap where we had to pull part of the fairing apart just to put fuel in it at a remote town then duct tape it back down to keep it closed, just use a key ffs KTM.

i dont need a quick shifter or switchable maps or cruise control, give me reliability any day especially on an off road adventure bike that goes remote , different story on a road tourer .

The rest of the 1290 seem rock solid and theirs been no other issues with them although they are all only new 

I like KTM dirtbikes a lot, obviously. My 250 XC-W is an amazing trail mountain machine. 

But I dont care for their streetbikes. Too many little issues that pop up on KTM streetbikes. I also like the looks of the T7 better than the 790, but that's just my opinion. 

19 hours ago, prwatts said:

I agree the T7 is a much better looking bike.  Much better.  Maybe we should "Keep Calm and Carry on Waiting"  grrr

"Keep calm and carry on revving"?

• Premium Member

Yeah, the looks of the T7 is ten times better than the 790.

The 790 is said to be available from March 2019.

Fabros

The T7 is vastly better looking, and much better proportioned to suit my 192cm frame. I am sure the 790 Adventure R will win every discussion on which is better T7 or 790, except the one out in the desert 500 kms from civilisation.

There is so much to like about the T7. The seat is flat so can sit back a bit and wont cramp me up. It has a low profile at the rear so bags and gear will sit lower. The bars are naturally high so better for standing up and the overall shape will provide good wind and rain protection. The bike is narrow so you can see the trail in front of you. The engine is narrow so it won't be inclined to get damaged if you drop it. The spin on filter is easy to change, and easier to find a substitute in far north Queensland or Uzbekistan. It just goes on and on.

As for the KTM wasp look, I think even KTM fans are over it, and just wish the 790 looked like the T7.

• 4 months later...
On 11/9/2018 at 10:47 PM, T700 said:

All the electronics is what scares me away from the KTM

i have 7 riding mates that all have the latest model 1290’s and 4 of them have had the instrument panel replaced under warranty , 1 of them that’s done the most k’s had it replaced twice and one had the solenoid stuff up to open the fuel cap where we had to pull part of the fairing apart just to put fuel in it at a remote town then duct tape it back down to keep it closed, just use a key ffs KTM.

i dont need a quick shifter or switchable maps or cruise control, give me reliability any day especially on an off road adventure bike that goes remote , different story on a road tourer .

The rest of the 1290 seem rock solid and theirs been no other issues with them although they are all only new 

I agree, seems like there is too much electronics on some bikes these days, too much to go wrong and too much that isn't needed. If you cant ride a 80HP bike without traction control and several power options then you should be learning on something smaller first? or stick to walking the dog.

I never had a problem with traction or throttle control on my old YZF1000 but then I had a lot of slower bikes before I got to that one.

I think for a bike of this style (T7) and the usage it's likely to get then the simpler it is then the better.

Of course that's why I have had a soft spot for the tuning fork brand for so long, I like the way they think.

Shane

Archived