Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Seats - Standard, Rally or await for aftermarket?

Mungo

Hi All,

I have recently picked up my T7 and I love it with one exception - the seat.  I have a R1200GS and its seat is fantastic, so it maybe that I just need to take a 'harden up pill' and get used to the T7's standard seat.

The Yamaha Rally seat seems to get good reveiws.  I believe that as I am about 183cm (6ft), the Rally seat would be OK for me from a height persepective.

I have had Seat Concepts seats before and have been very happy with them on previous bikes.  I understand that Seat Concepts are currently developing a seat for the T7 with release within the next three months.

I would be interested in thoughts regarding the Standard v Rally or wait for an aftermarket seat such as SeatConcepts.

Just a little bit more info - I ride about 50/50 road/dirt - with a good percentage of the road riding is getting to the dirt.  However I also do a couple of longer multi-day road rides per year.

Paul 

Seat concept says on there website they will have a seat for the T7 in a few weeks. Im going to wait to see what there seat is like. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Cruizin said:

Yeah, they are using my bike to design it.

Great so now everyone is waiting on you with your high claim #. Lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I have a  rally seat, I  believe that it's  more comfortable for me. Firstly I NEED the  room for my long legs. There's a small noticeable  comfort improvement for my wide butt. May I add that a seat is like a pair of leather boots. They require "running in" so I have not put enough miles on it to give you a good answer. 

You are coming from a 1200gs with a wider girth, "run in" seat, I have numerous bikes, but I traded my Africa Twin with a high seat, which I thought was more comfortable. If I were you I would hold off for a short while as a group  buy for an undisclosed brand aftermarket seat is in the air. Postage costs could be a deal breaker though. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Louis said:

I have a  rally seat, I  believe that it's  more comfortable for me. Firstly I NEED the  room for my long legs. There's a small noticeable  comfort improvement for my wide butt. May I add that a seat is like a pair of leather boots. They require "running in" so I have not put enough miles on it to give you a good answer. 

You are coming from a 1200gs with a wider girth, "run in" seat, I have numerous bikes, but I traded my Africa Twin with a high seat, which I thought was more comfortable. If I were you I would hold off for a short while as a group  buy for an undisclosed brand aftermarket seat is in the air. Postage costs could be a deal breaker though. 

I just eat chili the night before breaking in a new seat and it's properly broke in the next day!

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Cruizin said:

I just eat chili the night before breaking in a new seat and it's properly broke in the next day!

I think that you 2 need to be left alone. 😉😷🤭

Edited by Louis
  • Haha 1

I've ordered mine with yamaha last week as the report of it being good are out there and they gave me a good deal. 

Report back when I've got it but there should be a small delay according to the dealer. 

Aleks 

• Like 2

• Premium Member

I’ve already contacted Seth Laam down in Redding for a custom upgrade. He’s worked magic on my 1200 Super Tenere more than once. He just keeps getting better. 
Laamseats

I'll be getting the Seat Concepts as soon as it comes out.  They did a walk in build in one day on my KLX351 that completely transformed the bike.  I've went over 6 hours a day for 6 days straight on it and at the end of each day didn't even feel like I had been sitting down.  They were very easy to work with and went out of their way to help me out and get the seat done.

• Like 1

My boney butt will be waiting for a comfort seat.  😎

• Like 1

On 5/26/2020 at 6:01 PM, Cruizin said:

Yeah, they are using my bike to design it.

Try suggesting some kind of group buy for us while you're there.

7 hours ago, PNWTEN said:

I’ve already contacted Seth Laam down in Redding for a custom upgrade. He’s worked magic on my 1200 Super Tenere more than once. He just keeps getting better. 
Laamseats

I've checked out Seth Laam's seat work, it's top shelf!

• Thanks 1

• 9 months later...
On 5/28/2020 at 1:50 PM, PNWTEN said:

I couldn’t have done all 48 states in 4 months on any other seat! 

8116EC18-7630-4DDF-BCC3-2B34664F8E2E.jpeg

A21FF4C8-E66A-4FA7-94DF-5B6EFC271F4C.jpeg

19307CFE-3769-493A-A79F-9FD48C8D76CC.jpeg

1112E7B4-E953-48E6-94F8-4A0D82F6C4C1.jpeg

What seat is that?

On 5/28/2020 at 1:50 PM, PNWTEN said:

I couldn’t have done all 48 states in 4 months on any other seat! 

8116EC18-7630-4DDF-BCC3-2B34664F8E2E.jpeg

A21FF4C8-E66A-4FA7-94DF-5B6EFC271F4C.jpeg

19307CFE-3769-493A-A79F-9FD48C8D76CC.jpeg

1112E7B4-E953-48E6-94F8-4A0D82F6C4C1.jpeg

Sorry missed that. Seth’s seat. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone directly (with their own butt) compared the original optional rally seat with the newer tenere rally seat? I tried an original one for an hour or so and it seemed fine but like the thought of the newer seat cover for grip. Any experience of the shape and lower height? I understand it’s plus 30mm instead of the originals plus 50mm?  I’m 6’2” so want one or the other.