Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Anyone running 140/80X18 Rear tire on your T7?

Cruizin

Question

I have been reading about people running this on their stock rear wheel. Any have any issues? 

The price difference is amazing. 

Motoz Rallz on the stock 150/70X18 rear wheel  costs $206 

But the 140/80X18 costs only $116.99   

I would imagine that it raises the bike about a 1/4 inch, right?  How is traction and wear?  

6 answers to this question

My S10 and AT both call for 150's, quite a few people use 140's without complaint. I am going to try a 140 at some point on one or all if them including the T7.

Tenere 700 / Africa Twin / Goldwing / Super Tenere / WR250R / GS1000S / GT750 / H2 750

I was wondering the same thing. It's crazy how different the prices are between the sizes. I might try a shinko 805 in the stock size first. It's cheap and I've used it before.

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, Cruizin said:

I have been reading about people running this on their stock rear wheel. Any have any issues? 

The price difference is amazing. 

Motoz Rallz on the stock 150/70X18 rear wheel  costs $206 

But the 140/80X18 costs only $116.99   

I would imagine that it raises the bike about a 1/4 inch, right?  How is traction and wear?  

I'm running Mitas e12 140/80 without any problem and previously been running different 140/80 tires on my KTM 990 Adventure.

But keep in mind that not all 140 vs 150 tires of the same model are the same.

If I understand correctly, Motoz Dessert or Rallz 150/70 is completely different tire from Motoz Dessert or Rallz 140/80. 150 is different construction (side walls, rubber compound etc.) and made for big adventure bikes, bigger mileage, much more durable, puncture resistant etc., but 140/70 is made for smaller adventure and enduro bikes. That’s why the price difference is so big! And it’s the case not only for Motoz, but also other brand’s tires..

• Like 2

Supply and demand!, Also one (150) is radial, the other is biased ply, could also be diffrent manufacturing countries. All said, I will be running a 140 when my stocker wears out which won't be too long as I'm pretty agressive on and off road. I will not let the price of tires dictate what my right hand does, that's just part of the ownership deal I made with the devil.

• Like 1

Just came back from a day trip to the mountains, new metzeler Karoo 3's in the 140 sizing.

Tires are an immense improvement over the stockers in the dirt, sand silt and mud. They hold real well on muddy off camber trails.   Pirellis are great on the pavement and allow lots of rear wheel steering under power when on gravel/dirt.  But the Pirellis lack in muddy offroad, big time.  Front tire is also a slippery bugger with no sideways grip at all in the mud, it will be replaced real soon.

Only difference i saw in operation was that instead of being 10km/h fast compared to gps, speedo is now approx. 9 km/h fast!

I was real happy with the braking capability of the Karoo 3, tread design makes it pretty grippy when you need to scrub off speed, even when snowing and raining.

A lot of 140 section tyres are not 'speed rated' for bikes like the T700 but if you're mainly using it off road I can't see that it would hurt.