Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Picking up and servicing the T7, any tips?

Tazmool

• Premium Member

Hello everyone, 

Having just received my T7 yesterday, and some 1st services being not far into the future I'm curious if anyone has ideas, experiences, tips on how to service the bike. 

I am trying to stay away from installing a center stand, mainly due to the weight (would like to keep this bike as light as possible)
However, if its too much of a problem, I will install one, as a last resort. 

So, how do you pickup the bike and keep it upright to service it? 
I do have a set of race stands for my R6, they're being used right now, and the rear uses spools (which the Tenere 700 cannot use)
Does anyone use race stands?   (and automatic chain oiler, and rear sprocket guard may make this more difficult?)

Can you use one of those floor-jack-type lifts like people do on cruisers?  

I would like to be able to pickup the bike and do oil changes, filters, and tire-replacements, chain cleaning/oiling hopefully with out getting a center stand....  (I am doing a  tubeless conversion on the bike soon too, for those in the field puncture ease of repair times)

Any ideas, tips, experiences welcome!

If you have photos, post them up as well!

Thanks

Tazmool

42 minutes ago, Tazmool said:

So, how do you pickup the bike and keep it upright to service it? 
I do have a set of race stands for my R6, they're being used right now, and the rear uses spools (which the Tenere 700 cannot use)
Does anyone use race stands?   (and automatic chain oiler, and rear sprocket guard may make this more difficult?)

Ten years ago I got a Harbor Freight lift.  Works great and was fairly reasonable when I got it.

• Like 1

I use a jack like this... Works perfectly and you can raise the bike securely... No need for a center stand... Like to keep things light as well.. 

Aleks 

IMG_20200314_110824-01.jpeg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Spuzvica said:

@Aleksandar13 Do you have the purchase link for that?

s-l400.jpg

• 1,500 lb hydraulic Motorcycle Jack. • Foot operated hydraulic pump...

Something like this will do a perfect job. 

Aleks 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Aleksandar13 said:

I use a jack like this... Works perfectly and you can raise the bike securely... No need for a center stand... Like to keep things light as well.. 

Aleks 

IMG_20200314_110824-01.jpeg

Agreed.  When pulling the wheels of I put my ATV jack, like yours on my lift.  they work great.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Cruizin said:

Im about to go get one, I just have to find one of those Harbor freight 20% off coupons.

Harbor Freight buys their top quality tools from the same factories that supply our competitors. We cut out the middleman and pass the savings to you!

image.thumb.png.67a449e0a0cc38df631faed152352037.png

• Like 2

That one is a bit more than what I need. I'm getting one of these, as soon as i find a 20% off coupon. It's $99 at Harbor freight, and when i find my 20% off coupon it will be only $79 plus tax. 

60536_W3.jpg

1500 Lb. Capacity ATV/Motorcycle Lift

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, duggram said:

image.thumb.png.67a449e0a0cc38df631faed152352037.png

That seems like a good deal for something to easily work on a bike up high. With that said, I've broken everything I've ever purchased from Harbor Freight and ended up returning it. Not sure I'd trust my new bike on this.

Edited by johnnygolucky

11 minutes ago, johnnygolucky said:

That seems like a good deal for something to easily work on a bike up high. With that said, I've broken everything I've ever purchased from Harbor Freight and ended up returning it. Not sure I'd trust my new bike on this.

Their lifts are good, so good that someone stole mine out of the garage last fall. Brave SOB, I would have filled him full of birdshot if I had caught him in the act. 

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Cruizin said:

That one is a bit more than what I need. I'm getting one of these, as soon as i find a 20% off coupon. It's $99 at Harbor freight, and when i find my 20% off coupon it will be only $79 plus tax. 

Google HF 20% coupon right there at the checkout and it’ll pop right up online and they will scan the image from your phone. That said.. I know 3 people who returned that jack this year for cracked welds and 1 hydraulic failure. I bought the more expensive one a few years ago and it’s used nearly weekly between myself, my son, friends who pop by and my neighbor for his HD. Quick rising and a slow controlled drop. I’m not a huge fan of HF in general but they have a few solid items for sure. 

63397_I.jpg

1500 lb. Capacity ATV / Motorcycle Lift

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, johnnygolucky said:

HF has been good to me.  The Pittsburgh tools work and last.  This lift last a long time if you lower it on the safety bar to let the pressure off of the pump.  For some reason the pumps are hard to work on, but if you take care it will last a long time.  When I first got it I would put my 600+ lb FJR and my Sportster on it, even my Yamaha Grizzly 4 wheeler.  

I use a plastic crate I pull the bike over on its side stand and my wife pushes the crate under the bike I then push the bike upright and wiggle it until it’s centred on the box. Both wheels are off the ground now. Usually you don’t need to have both wheels off the ground. To lift either the rear wheel or front wheel I have made an aluminium paint extender pole cut down and the base is ground down to be angled with a rubber base and the top is ground down to fit under the foot peg. I position myself on the right hand side of the bike hold the handlebar and rear rack lean the bike over on the side stand and kick the aluminium pole base until the bike is balanced off the ground. Someone has used aluminium crutch’s that have adjustable height holes as well. The aluminium pole slides close and is small and light and straps under the plastic side case against the frame

D2DAA204-ED0D-481A-9901-52C6934032D7.jpeg

372480CE-A11C-494F-B4D7-6402E9943E64.jpeg

• Like 1

Just picked this up from Super Cheap Auto.

Awesome, very happy.

On sale at the moment for $149.00

Info only for Australian riders I guess as far as pricing.

Pics could be better but I'm trying not to show how messy my garage is.

IMG_20200606_112746781.jpg

IMG_20200606_112727091.jpg

IMG_20200606_112706044.jpg

• 8 months later...

Bumpin this thread. 

I can't find my owners manual but this cat says the owners manual says to not use a jack lift on the bottom of the bike to lift it up for service? Can anyone else chime in if this is correct? 

How in the hell else would you lift the bike unless using a full motorcycle lift? 

On 2/27/2021 at 4:35 PM, johnnygolucky said:

Bumpin this thread. 

I can't find my owners manual but this cat says the owners manual says to not use a jack lift on the bottom of the bike to lift it up for service? Can anyone else chime in if this is correct? 

How in the hell else would you lift the bike unless using a full motorcycle lift? 

if you REALLY want to follow the Yamaha way, you are supposed to lift with a wooden block under the engine crank case and lift the bike via that...

so another word, you lift the bike by the engine, not the frame...

image.thumb.png.ebedaed907ad8f48d1de1f20e058ed0f.png

Honestly that is weird to me...

Edited by TimmyTheHog
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, TimmyTheHog said:

if you REALLY want to follow the Yamaha way, you are supposed to lift with a wooden block under the engine crank case and lift the bike via that...

so another word, you lift the bike by the engine, not the frame...

image.thumb.png.ebedaed907ad8f48d1de1f20e058ed0f.png

Honestly that is weird to me...

So every time I'm wanting to lift the bike, to lets say lube chain, work on breaks....electrical etc, I need to remove the Camel skid plate and place wood under it to lift? 

That sucks. 

30 minutes ago, johnnygolucky said:

So every time I'm wanting to lift the bike, to lets say lube chain, work on breaks....electrical etc, I need to remove the Camel skid plate and place wood under it to lift? 

That sucks. 

not saying it doesn't suck, but rather saying it is the "yamaha way"...

Ya, I am no F-ing way doing that too.

One look at the stock foil ‘skid plate’ & size of the aluminum castings where the ‘frame sub-members’ bolt to them gives a fair idea of what Yamaha is trying to wash their hands of with this little disclaimer. 
   Good reason to be happy with any aftermarket gut guards that include a fifth rearward mounting point independent of those ‘sub-rails’.  Heavier skid plates without are just transferring more load to those castings that look suspiciously minimal at that key point. 
     Don’t own a lift, but with the Camel guard in place I wouldn’t hesitate to use one.

With only the stock foil underneath I might be thinking twice.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hammerhead said:

One look at the stock foil ‘skid plate’ & size of the aluminum castings where the ‘frame sub-members’ bolt to them gives a fair idea of what Yamaha is trying to wash their hands of with this little disclaimer. 
   Good reason to be happy with any aftermarket gut guards that include a fifth rearward mounting point independent of those ‘sub-rails’.  Heavier skid plates without are just transferring more load to those castings that look suspiciously minimal at that key point. 
     Don’t own a lift, but with the Camel guard in place I wouldn’t hesitate to use one.

With only the stock foil underneath I might be thinking twice.

Those were my thoughts exactly. 

Especially being I've already done it about 20 times. 

Oops.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

For the 2021 version of the (european) handbook it has been removed... sooo... ?

image.png.9fc83a8a489e26bfd2a145e363a1e85f.png

Yes I know its an old thread, but hey.. info is still new 😉

• Like 1